Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie runners

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its the older runners that upset me...
    People in their 40's, 50's and 60's passing me out in a race is awful upsetting :pac::pac:

It's the old guys that pass me, but look like youngsters still. I can't then tell if it is worth chasing them down in order to be able to claim my cheap bottle of wine in the vets category or not if they still have a full head of hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

robinph wrote: »
    It's the old guys that pass me, but look like youngsters still. I can't then tell if it is worth chasing them down in order to be able to claim my cheap bottle of wine in the vets category or not if they still have a full head of hair.

It works the other way too. Not so long ago I chased some guy without hair for several miles late in a marathon, only to find out that he was way younger than me and no threat in the geezers' race at all.

As for newbie runners in general, it would take a real muppet to object to them. Everyone was a newbie runner once. The vast majority of runners, including the so-called "fast runners" (whatever that may be) are nothing but supportive. There is definitely a fair amount of fear before a runner's first ever race but much of that is entirely unfounded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's worse than an oul lad passing you in a race.

An oul lad wearing a mankini passing you in a race.

It happened. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Once a Santa wearing wellies passed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

There is definitely a fair amount of fear.

The thing i most love about racing, the 'fear', get it every race still even though i'm racing over 4 years. The 'fear' i get is beating myself, the one & only goal i have when i'm race fit. Not to be confused with the 'fear' after a feed of beer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

tang1 wrote: »
    The thing i most love about racing, the 'fear', get it every race still even though i'm racing over 4 years.

Throughout the night before my first ultra I was staring at the ceiling for hours "what the hell was I thinking" - right then I probably would have disagreed.

The next day was all the sweeter, of course. So yes, there is something in the "fear" that's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think parkrun is a great way for new runners to test the waters before doing an event. My local one has everyone from marathon runners to speed walkers with buggies. Everyone is welcome and most people stay to the end to cheer the stragglers so you don't feel like you are keeping people. I love hearing stories from experienced runners about how they started, it helps you feel there is hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

What's even worse than that? Having to race flat out to beat a guy in a banana costume......and getting booed when I (barely) got him on the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunguska wrote: »
    What's even worse than that? Having to race flat out to beat a guy in a banana costume......and getting booed when I (barely) got him on the line

He was obviously running a negative split ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

AKW wrote: »
    He was obviously running a negative split ;)

you should get your coat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

PaulieC wrote: »
    you should get your coat...

And what I'm sure RacoonQueen said of mankini man as he passed her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bungalow

I'd never look down on anyone running a race we all have reasons why we do it. As the saying goes you may be slow but you're still lapping everyone on the couch. however I don't like people starting in a wave they have absolutely no chance of completing and you have to try get around them

Advertisement