Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie runners

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I wish it could be cleared up whether there WAS a heckler or not -- if there was, that's awful and I feel really bad for anyone who was heckled, and really bad for all the volunteers who put on a really great race only to have it interfered with by someone being unpleasant.

If there WASN'T a heckler, I wish someone would come onto this thread and say so. I would hate this thread to come up if someone googles 'Raheny 5'; if the heckler story isn't true then it's really unfair to everyone who worked so hard on the race to have this big discussion about the awful things that supposedly happened there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Our club is hosting the next event in a cross country league in a couple of weeks. We are always trying to get more people out running the races, but many people from our slower training groups are scared of the idea of racing, or racing round a muddy field... so this week to encourage more of the runners from the slower groups to come along and take part we are doing a trial run around the course for those people to show them that it's really not that bad and then hopefully they will come along and race the following week.

What do the faster runners think of the slower runners? They think they are great and faster runners do everything they can to try and encourage more participation in the sport. Who is defined as a faster or slower runner though is entirely subjective and every single person who runs is both faster than someone else and slower than someone else... well apart from one person at the top of the pile, but they won't last there for long and will very soon be back to being slower than someone again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 yantz

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I wish it could be cleared up whether there WAS a heckler or not -- if there was, that's awful and I feel really bad for anyone who was heckled, and really bad for all the volunteers who put on a really great race only to have it interfered with by someone being unpleasant.

If there WASN'T a heckler, I wish someone would come onto this thread and say so. I would hate this thread to come up if someone googles 'Raheny 5'; if the heckler story isn't true then it's really unfair to everyone who worked so hard on the race to have this big discussion about the awful things that supposedly happened there.

Ok. I'm so sorry. I've caused all this. I have to admit, I had only "heard" about the heckling from some other #RSP folk at the meet up spot after the race. I do think people in our group are a bit on edge lately over all the abuse we've been taking on the Internet. I in no way wanted to take away from the fantastic race Raheny put on. As I said in my log, I'd like to draw a line under all this.

I do find it offensive however that a poster has accused me of trolling.

Onwards and Upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

HelenAnne wrote: »

Excellent post.
    FWIW There doesn't appear to be any discussion or comments about a heckler targeting RSP members on the RSP page itself which I am still a member of all be it not posting on it. I also ran the last 2 miles just behind (and then in front of :) ) a RSP shirt wearer and heard no abuse at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

yantz wrote: »
    I do find it offensive however that a poster has accused me of trolling.

I assume that this is directed at me. I still think you are a troll. You came on here making baseless accusations and calling everyone elitist.
    I am reporting your posts now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think we can conclude that nothing happened based on what I've seen on here, and that there is nothing over there regarding this either.

<mod>So based on that lets get back to the original topic which is essentially how to make new runners feel more welcome.</mod>

In answer to sillysocks’ original query, about what faster runners think of slower runners. From my own experience, faster runners have always been really nice and encouraging to me, both by just being friendly and saying ‘well done’ when I was a real beginner, and by encouraging me to push harder, try to stay with them, when I got a bit faster and fitter.
    Once I’d been running a while and new people started joining our group who were at a more beginner stage than me, I didn’t think anything in particular, really – I didn’t think they were any different to me. I’d encourage them and be pleased when they enjoyed running/racing, but I didn’t compare paces or anything – we were all just people out running.
    I’m impressed by the frontrunners in races, aware of the people of my own pace around me who I’ll be racing, and impressed by everyone who finishes behind me too. Anyway, no one should ever be sneery about someone finishing behind them – for all they know it could be a national-level runner coming back from injury, or a speedy woman just back from having a baby. I know in parkrun a woman told me a man came up to her after it one week to say he was delighted to beat her at last, not realising she was quite far along in her pregnancy :).
    When I first started running, I used to often see Dick Hooper training in Raheny. (I think he was training for the Malin-Mizen marathons). I knew who he was, but I was so happy to be out running and I didn’t think I should keep my head down in shame to be plodding past him or anything. I was at the ‘run to the next park bench, then walk a bit’ stage, but I was delighted with myself and felt like a runner, so I’d always give him a little wave as we passed each other. And he always waved back. If a three-time Olympian isn’t above nodding and waving at a very beginner beginner as he passes, then I think there’s no cause for ‘faster’ runners to be lording it over ‘slower’ ones. Happy running, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

New runners are great, then they start passing you out :)

To give this some context , some of the younger runners in my group are starting to find their feet ! Might be putting me under pressure soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its the older runners that upset me...
    People in their 40's, 50's and 60's passing me out in a race is awful upsetting :pac::pac:

Cabaal wrote: »
    People in their 40's, 50's and 60's passing me out in a race is awful upsetting :pac::pac:

I like thinking 'That woman ahead of me is about 18 years younger than me -- I'll try to catch her :-)'

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »

It's the old guys that pass me, but look like youngsters still. I can't then tell if it is worth chasing them down in order to be able to claim my cheap bottle of wine in the vets category or not if they still have a full head of hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

robinph wrote: »
    It's the old guys that pass me, but look like youngsters still. I can't then tell if it is worth chasing them down in order to be able to claim my cheap bottle of wine in the vets category or not if they still have a full head of hair.

It works the other way too. Not so long ago I chased some guy without hair for several miles late in a marathon, only to find out that he was way younger than me and no threat in the geezers' race at all.

As for newbie runners in general, it would take a real muppet to object to them. Everyone was a newbie runner once. The vast majority of runners, including the so-called "fast runners" (whatever that may be) are nothing but supportive. There is definitely a fair amount of fear before a runner's first ever race but much of that is entirely unfounded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's worse than an oul lad passing you in a race.

An oul lad wearing a mankini passing you in a race.

It happened. :(

Once a Santa wearing wellies passed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

There is definitely a fair amount of fear.

The thing i most love about racing, the 'fear', get it every race still even though i'm racing over 4 years. The 'fear' i get is beating myself, the one & only goal i have when i'm race fit. Not to be confused with the 'fear' after a feed of beer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

tang1 wrote: »
    The thing i most love about racing, the 'fear', get it every race still even though i'm racing over 4 years.

Throughout the night before my first ultra I was staring at the ceiling for hours "what the hell was I thinking" - right then I probably would have disagreed.

The next day was all the sweeter, of course. So yes, there is something in the "fear" that's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think parkrun is a great way for new runners to test the waters before doing an event. My local one has everyone from marathon runners to speed walkers with buggies. Everyone is welcome and most people stay to the end to cheer the stragglers so you don't feel like you are keeping people. I love hearing stories from experienced runners about how they started, it helps you feel there is hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

What's even worse than that? Having to race flat out to beat a guy in a banana costume......and getting booed when I (barely) got him on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunguska wrote: »
    What's even worse than that? Having to race flat out to beat a guy in a banana costume......and getting booed when I (barely) got him on the line

He was obviously running a negative split ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

AKW wrote: »
    He was obviously running a negative split ;)

you should get your coat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

PaulieC wrote: »
    you should get your coat...

And what I'm sure RacoonQueen said of mankini man as he passed her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bungalow

I'd never look down on anyone running a race we all have reasons why we do it. As the saying goes you may be slow but you're still lapping everyone on the couch. however I don't like people starting in a wave they have absolutely no chance of completing and you have to try get around them

Advertisement