Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Becky Lynch thread! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Mick how much of "her act" have you seen?
    Sheamus isn't over at all.

Ok Mick whatever you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Someone needs to upload one of Becky's Shimmer matches to Youtube or something.

Someone needs to upload one of Becky's Shimmer matches to Youtube or something.

They are watched like a hawk and taken down instantly.

Wished the reaction was closer to this rather the massive killjoying based on looking at PHOTOs:

2zi24c1.jpg

Jordy goes to all the TV tapings and a lot of NXT live events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

rovert wrote: »
    Reserve judgement until you see the match or watch her Indie work. She always played on the stereotype and threw it back at the Yanks to bait the crowd and get heel heat. She wasn't Sheamus at his worst.

Irish people are overly sensitive when it comes to stereotypes (e.g. people who get offended because Sheamus says fella) - her gimmick sounds like a bit of fun; and I like the idea of her overdoing the gimmick to really annoy the crowd and get heat.
    Sheamus isn't over at all.

You obviously weren't at the recent show in Dublin.
    He has been doing a stale Oirish act for ages.

Why because he speaks with an Irish accent? Would you prefer if he tried to put on a fake American accent? I like the fact he acts Irish - I'd be seriously annoyed if he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Mick how much of "her act" have you seen?

Ok Mick whatever you say.

I have seen some clips on Youtube and little else. I'm taking the Irish jigging at face value like a lot of others here. Maybe I'm completely wrong and it's something innovative and ground breaking that I haven't seen. I look forward to seeing that. What are the quotations mark about? Should I have said gimmick? :cool:

As for Sheamus.. Not over is an exaggeration but his character is terribly stale and has been for a long time. His reactions have waned big time over the last year or so and he's nowhere close to what he was. I'm sure the heel turn will serve him well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He still gets good reactions though.

He'll get booed out of the building at Payback though. :pac:

I have seen some clips on Youtube and little else. I'm taking the Irish jigging at face value like a lot of others here. Maybe I'm completely wrong and it's something innovative and ground breaking that I haven't seen. I look forward to seeing that. What are the quotations mark about? Should I have said gimmick? :cool:.

You are referring to her act as if you know it in totality. Things like the Irish jig are match opening comedy spots. She then moves on to amazing mat work - which in 2006 at least was seen as innovative and these ludicrous suplexes that you wouldn't expect from someone her size.
    As for Sheamus.. Not over is an exaggeration but his character is terribly stale and has been for a long time. His reactions have waned big time over the last year or so and he's nowhere close to what he was. I'm sure the heel turn will serve him well.

On Sheamus drop the baggage of how terrible his character was before his last injury and before. Start on day one with him today. He has toned down the Paddywhackery a lot. He is the most interesting he has been in and outside the ring with his feud with Cesaro.
    Irish people are overly sensitive when it comes to stereotypes (e.g. people who get offended because Sheamus says fella) - her gimmick sounds like a bit of fun; and I like the idea of her overdoing the gimmick to really annoy the crowd and get heat.

In fairness she is a babyface in NXT that was her heel gimmick in SHIMMER - a promotion based in Chicago a place that has an affinity for Irish people. In her debut match she came out as this smiley Irish person happy to be in America. She wrestled another babyface called Allison Danger. She was losing so she went down like a gazelle and it looked like she blew out her knee. So here you had this cute Irish girl in her first match hurt badly and sobbing loudly crying. :(

Officials from the back came out and picked her up her opponent opened the ropes and then Rebecca kicked her in the stomach and out to the ring floor. She them did an Irish jig on her "injured knee" cementing her heel turn. The crowd were PISSED.

WWE over did that spot to death at the time. Fit Finlay loved putting that in matches. But Rebecca did such a good job selling the knee and having sympathy as this fresh faced Irish girl from Ireland that the crowd bought it all.

I kind of half bought the injury watching that match. At first I thought she had botched a move and improvised the injury. She did get decent heel heat in front of a crowd that can't have been more than 100-200 people.

You obviously weren't at the recent show in Dublin.

Answered in previous reply, but Sheamus is over in Dublin? Hardly a surprise. I'm sure Drew McIntyre is over in Scotland too.

Why because he speaks with an Irish accent? Would you prefer if he tried to put on a fake American accent? I like the fact he acts Irish - I'd be seriously annoyed if he didn't.

I have no problem with fella. Not sure there's actually anything Irish about that anyway.

Again, the accent.. Why would I have an issue with that? It's one of his best attributes. I'm delighted he hasn't adopted an American twang like McDowell and Conor McGregor.. which is embarrassing.

Talking about foightin and going for pints after the match and other fiddly di stuff about bodhráns, potato matches and barnyards which the majority of the audience don't understand. It doesn't offend me, it's just embarrassingly bad television. He doesn't have the confidence to pull it off and doesn't seem comfortable doing it.

This is off topic so I'll leave it there.

I kind of half bought the injury watching that match. At first I thought she had botched a move and improvised the injury. She did get decent heel heat in front of a crowd that can't have been more than 100-200 people.

The commentary told a good story in that it was Allison Danger her opponent that had suggested Rebecca to the Shimmer office. Then Rebecca knives her in the back her first match in.

• Advertisement

You are referring to her act as if you know it in totality. Things like the Irish jig are match opening comedy spots. She then moves on to amazing mat work - which in 2006 at least was seen as innovative and these ludicrous suplexes that you wouldn't expect from someone her size.

Fair enough. I see what you are saying. I'll just have to wait and see. Contrary to how it might seem, I like to see Irish people do well and wish her luck.

On Sheamus drop the baggage of how terrible his character was before his last injury and before. Start on day one with him today. He has toned down the Paddywhackery a lot. He is the most interesting he has been in and outside the ring with his feud with Cesaro.

Also a fair point about Sheamo. I have enjoyed him a lot more recently, especially with Barrett and hopefully he continues with Cesaro after Sunday.

My quoting ability is quite poor. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Great to see Becky got her NXT TV Debut.

After coming back to wrestling form time away and getting signed by WWE, it was still no sure thing for her although as Rovert pointed out she had the right background but it was still a massive risk (still is).

After the different gimmicks trialled and in the rosebuds it is a big deal for her to debut on NXT now its on the Network.

Look at how other talent were signed but ended up on a plane home quickly.

Fingers crossed it gets built upon in future tapings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

If she gets time to wrestle and allowed to show what a good worker she is, she'll be fine imo.

Mick Murdock I mean no aggro I really don't. In general have a low tolerance for Paddywhackery. Not a fan of Paddies Day either. Just at least on the Indies Rebecca had a World tested act that was really well remembered and thought of.

The German based Wrestling website has most of her matches listed:
    http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=2467&page=4&s=0

She went to England and (after she moved to Canada herself) Canada, USA, Japan and all over Europe over a 2 year span after her debut. That's kind unheard of. This was before Twitter and Facebook were big/took off in Ireland. Before Wrestling marketed itself on Youtube too. Under no illusions Rebecca hustled for bookings but the word of mouth about her was so palpable at the time. Wrestling forums were pretty much the only way fans communicated. It was really fun to track her journey with posts of "there was this Irish girl who name I didn't catch Rebecca something" "best match on the show" "she got a please come back chant" etc.

Whatever Paddywhackery she does or doesn't do she makes it work. It augmented everything she did not subtracted from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Would be very cool to see three Irish people on the main WWE roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

J. Marston wrote: »
    Would be very cool to see three Irish people on the main WWE roster.

Hornswoggle's not really Irish, J.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hornswoggle's not really Irish, J.

I don't believe you, next you will be telling me Hulk Hogan ain't Irish, good Irish name that just like McMahon. There you are 2 Irish lads and the Irish lady, Hulk, Hornswaggle and Steph

Assume they will recognise the links between Becky and Fergal when he arrives at least on NXT, seems like the kinda thing Regal and co on commentary would find it hard not to mention

I need to make an amendment to the method of victory in her TV debut. Becky won via hitting a legdrop AFTER the exploder suplex:

Bpklik8IAAEb6X7.jpg

Hulk Hogan despite his real life Italian heritage he was conceived as an Irish babyface.

The most practiced match ever finally made the cameras at tonight's NXT taping:

Bp-tmNzCQAAeUuQ.jpg
    Bp9s5rkCQAAoeN8.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

Wow she is a cool gal.

Sheamus does need a throwaway stereotypical "begorrah", heel manager for his upcoming repackage after all.

Shes no Kelly Kelly in the looks department thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I agree with you - she is actually good looking - normal looking and not fake!

that's what you meant right? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Yeah, Becky is gorgeous and natural. Kelly was called barbie for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Yeah, Becky is gorgeous and natural. Kelly was called barbie for a reason.

Because its an acroynm of the name her parents gave her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

LeeJM wrote: »
    Because its an acroynm of the name her parents gave her?

She was named Barbra not "barbie". They blonde hair and tan and caked makeup led to the shortening and nickname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

She was named Barbra not "barbie". They blonde hair and tan and caked makeup led to the shortening and nickname.

Yes I know she was named Barbara hence why I said ACROYNM of the name her parents gave her but thanks for clearing up a point I had already made. And I'm sure there are plenty of women in the world with the name Barbara that are called Barbie and they don't have blond hair etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

LeeJM wrote: »
    Yes I know she was named Barbara hence why I said ACROYNM of the name her parents gave her but thanks for clearing up a point I had already made. And I'm sure there are plenty of women in the world with the name Barbara that are called Barbie and they don't have blond hair etc...

ACROYNM - ACRONYM - ANAGRAM?

Becky and her cartoon eyes lookin well:
    BqnA6lBCcAAst2p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Siding with Charlotte? How dare she?! Poor Bayley. :(

Not long now :D
    Bq73GxvCEAA37Ph.jpg

• Advertisement