Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Becky Lynch thread! **Spoilers**

Options
  • 31-05-2014 3:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

Definitely doing a jig

Bo7aH6TIgAAfOU9.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Pentecost wrote: »
    Really happy for rovert and Becky. Been a long time coming for them. Everything I've read about her gives the impression she's really sound so best of luck Rebecca!

Becky's awesome. At one stage she developed a reputation of being a flake based on a podcast appearance were is was nervous and not media trained so she just talked the most random sh*te as us Irish can only do. She also cancelled a weekend's worth of shows for a UK Indy was a smart marks choice at the time at short notice as she decided she didn't want to Wrestle anymore. Both can be chalked down to being 18/9.

Personally I've never known anyone say a bad word about her. Her and her Wrestling is adored all over the World. Jessica Havok the top US female indy wrestler said Becky was one of the best in the business while Jessoca was watching NXT Takeover. Becky is 27 but she started so young and hit it big relatively that she is a cited influence on Women the same age of lower as her. Bailey (24) when she was on the Indies said Becky was an influence.

On the most basic level she is great to buzz off or if you bumped into her in Town it would make your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

rovert wrote: »
    Becky's awesome. At one stage she developed a reputation of being a flake based on a podcast appearance were is was nervous and not media trained so she just talked the most random sh*te as us Irish can only do. She also cancelled a weekend's worth of shows for a UK Indy was a smart marks choice at the time at short notice as she decided she didn't want to Wrestle anymore. Both can be chalked down to being 18/9.

Personally I've never known anyone say a bad word about her. Her and her Wrestling is adored all over the World. Jessica Havok the top US female indy wrestler said Becky was one of the best in the business while Jessoca was watching NXT Takeover. Becky is 27 but she started so young and hit it big relatively that she is a cited influence on Women the same age of lower as her. Bailey (24) when she was on the Indies said Becky was an influence.

On the most basic level she is great to buzz off or if you bumped into her in Town it would make your day.

Not being smart at all, but have you ever met her in person? Always admired her from afar as in being on here and reading reviews of what she could do as Rebecca Knox and seeing the odd pic of her and thinking "whoah", for want of a better phrase!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Is every NXT debut going to get this sort of treatment? :confused: Not sure how this counts as wrestling news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Is every NXT debut going to get this sort of treatment? :confused: Not sure how this counts as wrestling news.

Meh, she is Irish. Most NXT debuts do get mentioned in this thread at some point. rovert hearts Becky, it isn't hurting anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

To be fair Becky is someone you should be very excited about getting a debut. f you thought Charlotte vs Natalya was something just wait until we get Becky v Charlotte. Actually, scratch that. Becky vs most of the girls in NXT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Definitely doing a jig

Bo7aH6TIgAAfOU9.jpg

Red hair, green tights, doing a jig...

Very creative.

Pentecost wrote: »
    Not being smart at all, but have you ever met her in person?

Yes. Hung around with one of her brothers, through "the Wrestling" and we went to College together at one stage.

Wow? Seriously?
    Red hair, green tights, doing a jig...

Very creative.

Sorry Becky is SO Irish you not trading off it would be weird and swimming against the tide.

June 26th is the air date for her debut episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

More stereotypical yank irish bull****. A jig, ffs.

More stereotypical yank irish bull****. A jig, ffs.

Rebecca did this stuff on Indy shows in Ireland.

This isn't WWE's fault or anything like that. WWE ran through/wasted time with dozens and dozens characters for her from a businesswoman to a Genie. Ultimately they decided to let Becky be Becky. Stereotypes are stereotypes can often be true hence how they become stereotypes.

Bit of an out there example but Rebecca is kind of like 1993 era Doink The Clown went it was first played by Matt Bourne. A silly, frivolous type character that is juxtaposed by serious Wrestling talent. Save judgement until you see it has always worked really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

She's a talented girl and a good wrestler. Doesn't really matter what her gimmick is, her talent will shine through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Only thing I could find on Youtube. Super cringe..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPu_CSHTSNU

Serious lack of imagination if ya ask me. I doubt she spends her spare time jigging about..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

What's cringy to us though, isn't to American viewers. They lap that **** up.

I doubt she spends her spare time jigging about..

She was playing a bad dancer that was outclassed by Charlotte.

You said she's being herself rather than playing a character. I doubt slip jigging has anything to do with her real personality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

If people are sensative to the diddley,diddley stereotypes then close your ears if you watch her Shimmer matches. During one of them someone in the crowd, along with shouting "come on Irish", heckles her by shouting IRA and the commentator calls her a pikey (she was playing a heel).

If people are sensative to the diddley,diddley stereotypes then close your ears if you watch her Shimmer matches. During one of them someone in the crowd, along with shouting "come on Irish", heckles her by shouting IRA and the commentator calls her a pikey (she was playing a heel).

IRA.. That's great!! I would think the same if it was a Scottish fella jumping about in a kilt or an English wrestler Morris Dancing.. It's not being sensitive it's just sh*t and has no shelf life at all. I don't believe any wrestling fan is entertained by Irish dancing, American or not.

Ok this thread is getting impossibly weird.

Drunk fan says something stupid at an Indy show.

SHIMMER are the nicest crowds in Wrestling 99.999% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

rovert wrote: »
    Wow? Seriously?

If it was a main roster debut or signing then fair enough. But it's neither. It's NXT and someone we already knew was signed. Where is the news? Don't we have an NXT thread for this sort of stuff?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd agree this isn't the thread for the discussion.

At the same time, I do think it's understandable there's an air of excitement over the debut of an Irish talent on an Irish message board. It's not like we get that very often...

• Advertisement

If it was a main roster debut or signing then fair enough. But it's neither. It's NXT and someone we already knew was signed. Where is the news? Don't we have an NXT thread for this sort of stuff?

It is bigger than a standard NXT debut. Also the spoiler rules are a bit of a mystery for me when it comes to NXT. I probably couldn't post pictures there either. Would have needed to post this or something:
    "A
    Diva
    from
    Ireland
    debuted tonight."

:rolleyes:
    I'd agree this isn't the thread for the discussion.

At the same time, I do think it's understandable there's an air of excitement over the debut of an Irish talent on an Irish message board. It's not like we get that very often...

Didn't post it for discussion. I posted it for the reasons you said. Would have bothered my arse if I knew in advance where the thread would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

If it's her idea to do the stereotypical Irish rubbish then shame on her, it's stupid and won't last. I had felt sorry for her being lumped with a lame gimmick....

If it's her idea to do the stereotypical Irish rubbish then shame on her, it's stupid and won't last. I had felt sorry for her being lumped with a lame gimmick....

Reserve judgement until you see the match or watch her Indie work. She always played on the stereotype and threw it back at the Yanks to bait the crowd and get heel heat. She wasn't Sheamus at his worst.

Even IF she is the female Sheamus. Sheamus has done pretty well for himself and is strongly over.

Personally I couldn't give a toss if she was painted green as long as she gets to Wrestle weekly. She is legitimately one of the best non-Japanese female Wrestlers ever. You don't have to ask me or anyone Irish ask people who know her work the World over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Split from the News thread - This lady deserves her own thread afterall

Split from the News thread - This lady deserves her own thread afterall

The Becklash already started on the first page. Great start :P

15f6976.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Like it or not, it's the type of gimmick that WWE will love and that the American Audiences will respond positively too. She'll stand out from the crowd with it, rather than being Generic Diva #43543.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

"My name is Becky......and I love to fight."

"My name is Becky......and I love to fight."

Hope JBL talks about Becky fighting on Grafton St instead of Temple Bar as she is a Diva.

Like it or not, it's the type of gimmick that WWE will love and that the American Audiences will respond positively too. She'll stand out from the crowd with it, rather than being Generic Diva #43543.

I don't see how it's any different to Emma waving her arms about. She can be the best wrestler in the world but she'll most likely get a 2 minute match here and there like the rest of them. The act is a joke, she won't be taken seriously doing that.

Sheamus isn't over at all. He has been doing a stale Oirish act for ages. I don't see why she will fare any better doing something even worse.

Hope she/they reconsiders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

We will never hear the end of it if she wins NXT women's or divas title. lol

Advertisement