Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work??? Feck that.

Options
  • 22-05-2009 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

I hired a member of staff two weeks ago on trial, she was on the dole for the last year and she turned out to be a very good professional worker. So last week i offered her a full-time job and she accepted it, no surprise there, seen there are very few new jobs in the area.
    Then today she came into me and said she cant take the job as she worked it out and she is better off on the dole than working a 40 hour week, earning a bit more than minimum wage. To say i was mad was an understatement, first its a disgrace that someone can earn more (or only a bit less, when taking all the other benefits that come with the dole) by laying on their ass all week at the tax payers expense and second that we are allowing this system to continue.

I think i might phone social welfare tomorrow and tell them she has refused a job, i would hope her dole would be stopped, but i doubt they would do feck all.

Just a rant and its not the first time someone has refused work as they wanted to stay on the dole.

Mods feel free to lock thread, probably no need of more dole threads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

dibbs on her job?

score, pm tho im serious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Second in line for the job, pal. I'll clean toilets. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

hey look at my thread on cant apply for a job!!i'll take it please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

3rd in line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yep something is very wrong with your system if you can make more money unemployed.

The more of this I hear the more I think I might vote republican..

• Advertisement

sdonn wrote: »
    Second in line for the job, pal. I'll clean toilets. Seriously.

id clean sdonn while they **** on aformentioned toilet and clean that during and after

Says something when 3 people jump in on this asking for jobs at 2.30am, doesn't it? Scary.

I'm straight back off the list because it's not exactly centrally located for me, dont want to reveal OP's location but Im sure he'll decode that for ye if he wants to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Phone Social Welfare, they are taking this kind of thing seriously now!!!

Also, If the Job is in Cork I would be happy to take it. Or even Dublin, I would be willing to move!!!! PM Me if you want to give it!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Seriously, PM me, if i can help any boardise.
    The jobs in Letterkenny and there will be a few positions over time.

Letterkenny, much too far out for me!!! Damn!!!

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    Seriously, PM me, if i can help any boardise.
    The jobs in Letterkenny and there will be a few positions over time.

balls

**** it is 2.40 - jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

I'll do the job if everybody before me in the queue mystriously goes missing

<.<.

.>.>

hey id move to letterkenny for the summer for a full time job,be a change :)

I'd step short of calling the SW, you could leave someone on the breadline quite easily, may be kids involved etc. Let the air out of her tires or something instead, I'm sure she's driving an X5 the way she behaves so that'll make her extra upset.

This thread has inspired me to alter my signiature too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Being honest I can't blame her, if she's better off on the dole then there are kids involved, so she's right to maximise her income. **** system.

amacachi wrote: »
    Being honest I can't blame her, if she's better off on the dole then there are kids involved, so she's right to maximise her income. **** system.

Who said there's kids involved?

I said if she's better off on the dole then there are kids involved, unless Senna is paying under minimum wage, which I doubt.

As far as i know there are no kids involved, her husband is on the dole and if she starts work his money MIGHT be cut also. She said something like that anyway.
    I did tell her i hope dole is cut very soon and dont be expecting a job again.

Yes the system is wrong, but people should have some sence of social responsibility.
    amacachi wrote: »
    I said if she's better off on the dole then there are kids involved, unless Senna is paying under minimum wage, which I doubt.

9.50 ph

I think she might be getting mortgage interest supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

If it's for your kids, then you'd do what you can. Don't say you wouldn't.

If you don't have kids then work.

Senna wrote: »
    As far as i know there are no kids involved, her husband is on the dole and if she starts work his money MIGHT be cut also. She said something like that anyway.
    I did tell her i hope dole is cut very soon and dont be expecting a job again.

Yes the system is wrong, but people should have some sence of social responsibility.
    They're still only on about 300 a week between them. Though probably claiming another 100 or so on rent allowance so it works out around the same. Feckin daft system. If there's no kids then report her.

Just noticed your ninja edit, forgot she could get some kind of mortgage-related supplement rather than rent allowance depending on the situation.

• Advertisement

even if there is kids report her.the reason i was bought up right is because ive seen how hard my parents worked doing factory jobs.my dad did 9 to 5 and my mam evenings all while i was growing up it can be done.and they didnt piss away their money in the pub.new cars,2 holidays a year,planned their food shopping,planned out their cooking.they minded their money and did what they had too and still do

social welfare/dole/child allowance should be made in a such a way that people can only spend it on the basics like food/rent/esb/heat a voucher system maybe.because there a child s allowance might be spent on some good food for the kid instead of fake tan or a bottle of vodka for maa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

If she quits her job, isn't there a period of six months or so where she will not get the dole?

high horse wrote: »
    If she quits her job, isn't there a period of six months or so where she will not get the dole?

She has not submitted her p45 etc, so she has not got paid. Her plan was to ask for the cash in hand and walk away. I told her to fcuk off, through the books or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

It sickens me to hear about things like this.
    I get €204 each week for sitting on my arse. Yes I have been contributing towards that for the last ten years but I'd work a three, four or five day week for the same money.
    I'm not used to hanging around & I'm certainly not used to getting money for SFA.
    The fool you gave up your time to interview & offered a job to should get her payments stopped.
    But to be fair, she can only be held accountable for a portion of this lunacy. The government are also responsible for handing out money so freely.
    I'm delighted with my €204 as it means I can pay my bills, just. If I wasn't getting that amount then I'm nearly sure I'd have the baliffs at the door.
    But I wouldn't ever turn down a job because I might be better off on the dole for the sake of a few euro.
    There is a lot to be said for having pride. That woman obviously has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

easyeason3 wrote: »
    It sickens me to hear about things like this.
    I get €204 each week for sitting on my arse. Yes I have been contributing towards that for the last ten years but I'd work a three, four or five day week for the same money.
    I'm not used to hanging around & I'm certainly not used to getting money for SFA.
    The fool you gave up your time to interview & offered a job to should get her payments stopped.
    But to be fair, she can only be held accountable for a portion of this lunacy. The government are also responsible for handing out money so freely.
    I'm delighted with my €204 as it means I can pay my bills, just. If I wasn't getting that amount then I'm nearly sure I'd have the baliffs at the door.
    But I wouldn't ever turn down a job because I might be better off on the dole for the sake of a few euro.
    There is a lot to be said for having pride. That woman obviously has none.
    and you can afford the internet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 frazzel

at least if someones working the possibility in the future of a wage increase is there. Not so likely on the dole anytime soon id imagine!!! :rolleyes:

If there are kids involved then i can see why she might not want the job. childcare costs etc.. However if there are no kids involved then she has no excuse. She should be getting off her arse and working. In a country where so many people are crying out for work!! How dare she sponge off an already drained system coz she's too lazy to put in the work!! :mad:

Overheal wrote: »

In fairness, the internet is a necessity these days when looking for Jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Overheal wrote: »

I don't pay for it, I'm lucky enough to have a boyfriend who wants instant broadband when he is at home so he pays for it.

It's kinda handy to apply for jobs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Pay her a decent wage then. I'd rather work any day than draw the dole. But when companies are jumping on the bandwagon and paying ****e wages, I'd say fcuk ye too!

Advertisement