Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Cycling offers Thursday 24 Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

not yet wrote:
    Done 50k with the aldi bib tights today, the chamois is half way up your back with little or no protection for your ugly bits..

I got the pro ones last year and that was what I found too. Material was good and warm, pad itself seemed reasonable but location was all over the place.
    There was a review of aldi bike gear in the Guardian last week, raved about the jerseys but had exact same complaint about bib tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Jesus christ I bought the leg warmers but can't seem to figure out which is right and which is left. Anyone know

reflective part should be facing forward and if you look inside there is more fleece on the front part

these are the only things i bought from aldi. used today for the first time and they are ok. silicone grips on the outside don't really help shorts from moving but they never slipped down my leg. so far so good but we'll see what happens after a few washes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

rtmie wrote: »
    I got the pro ones last year and that was what I found too. Material was good and warm, pad itself seemed reasonable but location was all over the place.
    There was a review of aldi bike gear in the Guardian last week, raved about the jerseys but had exact same complaint about bib tights.

It's a shame because other then that they are a decent piece of clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

any waterproof trouser left in any of the dublin stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Think all this winter weather purchasing has jinxed things! The gear will be going into storage for awhile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

oceanclub wrote: »
    I bought the cycling shows think they would work fine with traditional pedals as well (I commute a hybrid); mistaken assumption on my part, I guess. Now not sure whether to go to whole hog and change my pedals or just sell the shoes and buy something more suitable. Given most of my cycling is commuting in traffic I'm thinking I'm probably better off sticking with traditional pedals.

EDIT: If do, what do people think of this combination pedals & multi-release cleats combo?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-spd-mtb-cleats/ (Shimano SPD MTB Cleats)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/ (Shimano M324 Combination Pedals)

P.

I went for Shimano A530 Pedals for a nicer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

reflective part should be facing forward and if you look inside there is more fleece on the front part

these are the only things i bought from aldi. used today for the first time and they are ok. silicone grips on the outside don't really help shorts from moving but they never slipped down my leg. so far so good but we'll see what happens after a few washes

The extra fleece on the arm warmers is for the back of the elbow. The arm and leg warmers seems slightly shaped to suit cycling. Which is probably why there is a slight bunching up at the knees on the leg warmers when standing straight.

The pic below is for right arm/leg. The material on the front of the leg warmer is thicker/different than the back and probably due to water repellent duties.

The zipper should be on the outside, I think, as per the picture. There does seem to be some sort of "handed" difference at the top back thigh area.

2iixsmu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

So testing out the performance jacket this morning at about 7:45am, I think it was about 5 degrees. 20 min cycle into work. Was very very warm in it, body wasn't over heating but I'd say any longer and it would be too much, the arms were very sweaty. Perhaps my Jersey underneath was too thick though it was a short sleeved jersey. I think this jacket will only see days closer to 0 degrees.

Also tried on the gloves, very warm. lining slightly comes out when you remove your sweaty hand and was difficult to get back into the glove.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jon1981 wrote: »
    So testing out the performance jacket this morning at about 7:45am, I think it was about 5 degrees. 20 min cycle into work. Was very very warm in it, body wasn't over heating but I'd say any longer and it would be too much, the arms were very sweaty. Perhaps my Jersey underneath was too thick though it was a short sleeved jersey. I think this jacket will only see days closer to 0 degrees.

Also tried on the gloves, very warm. lining slightly comes out when you remove your sweaty hand and was difficult to get back into the glove.

Yeah the jacket is very warm. Not cold enough for it yet. I'll try it out when temps drop again. It is nice, but I think a bit too warm for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I bought the bib tights. I tried them on and they felt comfy enough but the crinkly windproof material feels strange. I'm in two minds whether to keep them or not. I've read about the padding not sitting right. Any females able to give a review on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The leg and arm warmers are great to put on for the chilly mornings. Then easily thrown into the rucksack for the commute home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I went for Shimano A530 Pedals for a nicer look.

I have these and the A600 on different bikes.

I prefer the A530 despite the A600 being lighter. They always seem to face the right way for me to clip in wherease i almost always have to flip the A600. They also hold their look much better - the A600 are very quickly scratched from the cleats and from my trying to clip into the wrong side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

OldBean wrote: »
    Much better than the old ones. In fact, pretty good. I rode one in varying wind/temps last Friday under a SS jersey and was kept plenty warm.

Plus one on this. Wore one on Saturday morning/noon. My temperature seemed to be nice and constant and never that horrible cold back feeling with their other base layers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

comparison to similar item tacx etc?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

wuzziwig wrote: »
    I bought the bib tights. I tried them on and they felt comfy enough but the crinkly windproof material feels strange. I'm in two minds whether to keep them or not. I've read about the padding not sitting right. Any females able to give a review on them?

I bought them but brought them back. I wasn't comfortable in them - tight on my legs. But the pad was perfectly located.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I really wanted to try a pair of those lobster gloves, but my luck was out.

I'd appreciate a heads up if anyone see's them (size XL) in any store in Dublin, Naas or Newbridge please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'd appreciate a heads up if anyone see's them (size XL) in any store in Dublin, Naas or Newbridge please.

Would post you mine, but they're a small.

Would post you mine, but they're a small.

No bother, thanks all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

My local aldi tends to still have lots of stock. If they have an xl pair tomorrow wante to pick them up for you?

My local aldi tends to still have lots of stock. If they have an xl pair tomorrow wante to pick them up for you?

No a heads up would be grand. I'm driving around Dublin, Wicklow & Kildare more days. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

I bought the pro jersey/jacket last year and its honestly one of my favourites for dry cool commutes. I was hoping the performance bib would be of equal quality. However the fit is shocking. I bought the L size. It fits fine around the waist but the length is completely off. Im only 1.8 meters so i can imagine how poorly it fitted taller folks. It is very restrictive on my knees, thighs and the pad didn't reach my crotch. Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

No a heads up would be grand. I'm driving around Dublin, Wicklow & Kildare more days. Thanks.

No worries. I'll be in there today so i'll drop you a line if I see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No point in starting a new thread for one item in Lidl but just noticed that they have a roof bar bicycle rack next Monday.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=30845

Anyone got one of these before? Are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

Orion wrote: »
    No point in starting a new thread for one item in Lidl but just noticed that they have a roof bar bicycle rack next Monday.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=30845

Anyone got one of these before? Are they any good?

i got the Thule 532 in Halfords last week for 54 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

seanin4711 wrote: »
    comparison to similar item tacx etc?

turbo anyone get one ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Was out for a spin this afternoon and saw a lad who had obvs been to Aldi and was trying out his purchases. Hi viz waterproof helmet cover, hi viz waterproof jacket. Unfortunately it was 18 degrees and sunny. Judging by redness of face he may have been testing the winter jacket and merino base layer under the water proof too. ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

I hope he rates them high for warmth! Personally, it's still warm enough for summer base, Light Jersey & Lycra 3/4 plus armwarmers and nuts (not full gloves) Let's hope it keeps this way into Nov!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Unfortunately for us, Aldi seem to have streamlined their "pro cycling gear" strategy by realising that less stock with a good margin is better than what they did in the past.

Can't blame them for that. They must have lost money on previous seasons. I seen some of their pro bibs on sale for big discounts last spring. I would like them to do a nice 3/4 sometime, but only if they put the pad in the right place!!
    That windstopper type jacket looked nice. Only seen in ladies size though. Still, I have my new Gallibier to try out, but am not praying for the weather to test it out in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

5 bike stands still in Bray this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

I tried out the winter jacket this morning with the garmin showing 5degrees out. I just had a shortsleeve summer baselayer under it and was nice and toasty. Will buy another one or 2 if I can still find them at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

My rear "premium" light has already stopped working. Shows a charge light fine but won't switch on. Not too impressed...

P.

Advertisement