Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clocks forward tonight at 1.00am?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thats all very well (and very complicated) but local names aside, we are to all intents now running on GMT+ 1 hour (BST), as my radio controlled clock will testify to! All the Radio Controlled (Atomic Clocks) in the Republic run off the signal from Anthorne in Cumbria, and once the signal is received here it remains GMT+ 1 hour (BST). The Irish Government may have renamed it 'Irish summer Time' in 1968, but time is really set in Greenwich for these islands, + one hour in the summer time (thanks to Scotland I think)???
    Why do you keep calling it GMT+1 (BST), why not GMT+1 (CET) or even GMT+1 (MDST) Morocco Daylight Saving Time, in Ireland it is officially called IST. If you want to use the names other countries call GMT+1 why just pick the UK's one. Time is measured or denoted by +/- from Greenwich, but is not set in Greenwich for here, that is up to us.
    If we wanted to get rid of the change in winter and remain on IST all year round keeping one hour ahead of the actual time in Greewich during the winter, we could.
    Where a signal is received from is irrelevant to what each country calls its standard or daylight saving time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why do you keep calling it GMT+1 (BST), why not GMT+1 (CET) or even GMT+1 (MDST) Morocco Daylight Saving Time, in Ireland it is officially called IST.

As a geography teacher I am prone to such logic. We are factaually part of this group of islands, we are an island within a group of islands, GMT is the dominat time zone and we are all in the same time zone, which is different to Central European Time, or Moroccan time for that matter. We just can't escape our geography. I take on board what you say about the very localised term IST, its a new one on me though.

As a geography teacher I am prone to such logic. We are factaually part of this group of islands, we are an island within a group of islands, GMT is the dominat time zone and we are all in the same time zone, which is different to Central European Time, or Moroccan time for that matter. We just can't escape our geography. I take on board what you say about the very localised term IST, its a new one on me though.
    Being part of an island group is irrelevant to what we name our standard time, just as it is to what we name our health or postal services.
    Both BST and IST are "very localised" as are the names many countries call their respective times.
    Though we are not in the CET time zone and also not in the BST time zone (because there is no such thing), at the moment we are as much "on CET" as we are "on BST", because both are GMT+1 ;)
    Morocco is on Morocco Standard Time = GMT (until it goes to MDST = GMT+1), it's in the same time zone as us, surely as a geography teacher you know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Why do you keep calling it GMT+1 (BST), why not GMT+1 (CET) or even GMT+1 (MDST) Morocco Daylight Saving Time, in Ireland it is officially called IST. If you want to use the names other countries call GMT+1 why just pick the UK's one. Time is measured or denoted by +/- from Greenwich, but is not set in Greenwich for here, that is up to us.
    If we wanted to get rid of the change in winter and remain on IST all year round keeping one hour ahead of the actual time in Greewich during the winter, we could.
    Where a signal is received from is irrelevant to what each country calls its standard or daylight saving time.
    It is both officially accepted and more importantly it is generally accepted that the time zone for Ireland is GMT and in the summer it is GMT+1 aka British Summer Time, we shouldn't get so het up over the word British, after all Ireland is in the British Isles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

The future's bright

Did you have to wear shades?

• Advertisement

lividduck wrote: »
    It is both officially accepted and more importantly it is generally accepted that the time zone for Ireland is GMT and in the summer it is GMT+1 aka British Summer Time, we shouldn't get so het up over the word British, after all Ireland is in the British Isles.
    Sorry but there is no official acceptance that we are on BST, officially we are now on IST.
    GMT+1 as I pointed out, is known by different names in different countries and different circumstances.
    It is often incorrectly called BST here, but officially BST refers to the UK only and not to every single country that is on GMT+1.

Sorry but there is no official acceptance that we are on BST, officially we are now on IST.
    GMT+1 as I pointed out, is known by different names in different countries and different circumstances.
    It is often incorrectly called BST here, but officially BST refers to the UK only and not to every single country that is on GMT+1.
    Fair enough, I was only making the point that it is generally called BSt and that we shouldn't get hung up on the whole British thing, but I take your point.

In theory France and Spain are in the wrong timezone as they share the same longitude as the UK, but they prefer to share the same time as central Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I travel forward in time constantly: at a rate of 1 second per second - do try and keep up.

Fair enough, I was only making the point that it is generally called BSt and that we shouldn't get hung up on the whole British thing, but I take your point.
    The only people who mentioned the "British thing" and who seemed hung up on something were yourself and LordSuch.
    If the UK called their summer time Local Summer Time and I corrected someone in the same way as I did and said "actually here it is officially called IST not LST" would you have jumped in? I think not. ;)

• Advertisement

The only people who mentioned the "British thing" and who seemed hung up on something were yourself and LordSuch.
    If the UK called their summer time Local Summer Time and I corrected someone in the same way as I did and said "actually here it is officially called IST not LST" would you have jumped in? I think not. ;)
    As I already said, I take your point.

As I already said, I take your point.
    You couldn't have already taken the point I made in that post, because I hadn't made it before.

You couldn't have already taken the point I made in that post, because I hadn't made it before.
    Look, I'm not interested in arguing, ok. you are correct in that BST is Officially known in Ireland as IST. My mistake.
    Now can we move on and enjoy the good weather and the extra hour of light this evening.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Adin in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

What time is it in the middle of the Atlantic?
    Dunno - give someone on Santa Cruz a call and find out.

What time is it in the middle of the Atlantic?
    11:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My fault (see Post #39/ Page3) < that's what sparked the whole thing off :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/ist.html

Where and when is IST observed?
    Areas using IST only in the summer and GMT during the winter - Ireland

Advertisement