Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clocks forward tonight at 1.00am?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just about to do a sweep of all our clocks, and its amazing just how many start to appear once you go on a mission to change them all . . .

Two watches, two car clocks, the microwave clock, the cooker clock, the old VCR clock, the new Sat box X 2, two Television Clocks, three wall clocks + two alarm clocks, the phone clock, the central heating timer, the immersion timer, the camcorder clock, moblile phone clocks, PC clock. laptop clock, HiFi radio clock, the DAB radio clock, the list is long in some houses!

There might even be more, but I can't think of them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

NUTZZ wrote: »
    You reminded me of a video I watched last summer, it's a guy from Sweden doing a vlog at 1am in the night and it's as bright as day outside, it's crazy when you see it and think about it.

He's like an annoying d4 guy. Ginger Bastard.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

He's like an annoying d4 guy. Ginger Bastard.:mad:

Ah he's a video game nerd, but he can be funny too!

LordSutch wrote: »
    Two watches, two car clocks, the microwave clock, the cooker clock, the old VCR clock, the new Sat box X 2, two Television Clocks, three wall clocks + two alarm clocks, the phone clock, the central heating timer, the immersion timer, the camcorder clock, moblile phone clocks, PC clock. laptop clock, HiFi radio clock, the DAB radio clock, the list is long in some houses!

A lot of what you listed will change the time automatically!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Just about to do a sweep of all our clocks, and its amazing just how many start to appear once you go on a mission to change them all . . .

I wait until the morning now. Used to do the sweep around the house the night before because I love the clocks going forward, but now most of them are automated so I ended up having to undo it again in the morning because it had been done by both me and the machine.

Really wish they'd do away with the time change altogether and leave us on summer time. Very few benefit from bright mornings. Nearly everyone has the chance to benefit from an extra hour of light in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Ha! :pac: Just looking back over it, your post reminds me of P. Flynn's "three houses" spiel on the Late Late. All you needed was something along the lines of "you should try doing it yourself sometime!" :pac::pac:

A lot of what you listed will change the time automatically!

The watches won't, the two car clocks won't either, the microwave clock wont change itself, the cooker clock will need me to change it too, the old VCR clock won't change itself, the new Sat box X 2 may change themselves?, the two Television Clocks may also? The three wall clocks will need my assistance + the two alarm clocks, the phone clock will change once we receive a call, the central heating timer needs to be changed manually, the immersion timer too, the camcorder clock also, moblile phone clocks may change themselves??? Will the PC clock change itself ??? (I can't remember), laptop clock? The HiFi radio clock is definately manual, and the DAB radio clock will spring forward one hour, once I turn it on in the morning :)

The watches won't, the two car clocks won't either, the microwave clock wont change itself, the cooker clock will need me to change it too, the old VCR clock won't change itself, the new Sat box X 2 may change themselves?, the two Television Clocks may also? The three wall clocks will need my assistance + the two alarm clocks, the phone clock will change once we receive a call, the central heating timer needs to be changed manually, the immersion timer too, the camcorder clock also, moblile phone clocks may change themselves??? Will the PC clock change itself ??? (I can't remember), laptop clock? The HiFi radio clock is definately manual, and the DAB radio clock will spring forward one hour, once I turn it on in the morning :)

The TV's, sat boxes, mobile phones, laptop, PC and DAB radio should all change automatically! :)

The TV's, sat boxes, mobile phones, laptop, PC and DAB radio should all change automatically!

The TVs possibly, but I think our aged Moblies may need to be done manually? The PC is a 2001 model and I usually change it manually too, and the DAB radio (not radio controlled) works off the DAB signal, so it only changes time once its been turned on, so that's it, I better get going on all those clocks, and don't forget, its now (23:20 New Time)!

Goodnight . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What time is it in the middle of the Atlantic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

That sounds far too complicated, + that IST just sounds like a new name for BST to me, anyway seeing as this new 'Irish Standard Time' is the very same as BST I cant see the need to adopt this new fangled Irish name (for the same thing)! From Sunday morning at 1am Irish clocks will 'spring' forward one hour from GMT to BST along with the rest of the British Isles. Oops that's probably another term you disagree with? but hay, what's in a name, it just means that we will all get one hour less sleep (bugger) on Sunday morning, Irish, British, or other, living on this group of islands :))
    The name IST was given in 1968 when the UK and Ireland stopped putting the clocks back in winter, since GMT+1 was given the status of year round standard time here, an act was enabled calling it IST.
    In 1971 both countries gave up on this and started putting the clocks back again, but the name was never changed, hence now our standard time is still GMT+1 and we divert from this standard in winter (the opposite from most other countries), standard time in the UK is GMT and they divert from this in summer (the norm).
    Therefore, (and this is the crux) though we are on the same time as BST we are not on BST, anymore than we are on CET which is also GMT+1, (with the countries usually on that time moving to CEST [Central European Summer Time]), nor as some people mistakenly call IST, Irish Summer Time, as IST is still our official standard time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

How do you change the time on a sun dial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I'm not doin it this year, no, not falling for that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

How do you change the time on a sun dial?

Had one of those but it broke because it was not compatible with cloud computing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's a clock in my studio that I never bothered changing the last time the clocks went back, so it's been forward an hour since then.

When 2am comes tonight, it'll be at the correct time once again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I always associate this time with change and the beginning of summer, whether it is or not, so I like when the clocks go forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

44leto wrote: »
    I always associate this time with change and the beginning of summer, whether it is or not, so I like when the clocks go forward.

I accociate it with losing a bleedin hours sleep :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

There's a clock in my studio that I never bothered changing the last time the clocks went back, so it's been forward an hour since then.

When 2am comes tonight, it'll be at the correct time once again!

I have one of them in the kitchen!

It'll be a bugger looking at it now and not adding the hour, gonna be early for EVERYTHING for the next few weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

How did my phone and laptop know how to change the hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The future's bright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

So did I, seems pretty dark outside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

no its not, its dark out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

****! I have to go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The future's bright

Is it orange yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Kamjana wrote: »
    How did my phone and laptop know how to change the hour?

:D

I mean , it will soon be bright... pedantics.
    no its not, its dark out

In any case it's because you live in stupid London.
    chin_grin wrote: »
    Is it orange yet?

The past was orange, fake tan orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

There was a problem with a faulty contraceptive and a time machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

what time is it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Posting from 12 hours in the future, nothing interesting has happened.
    it's 14.12 here...

• Advertisement

Time to get a watch?!?!

Oh, I do say, that joke never gets old, *chuckle*

Advertisement