The Dutch - Page 15 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-04-2013, 19:51   #211
Greentopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank reynolds View Post
i go to holland (not just amsterdam) quite a bit, and in general, they are for the most-part, friendly, happy and tall. they LOVE being loud when they are drinking, they are big drinkers, but not as much as the irish, or their neighbours in germany.
religion-wise, i think it's mostly lutheran protestants and now muslim immigrants in the country.
Calvinists, not Lutherans. If you go there a lot how could you confuse the two? And the Muslim community only accounts for a little under 6% of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank reynolds View Post
very chilled out people, open minded and friendly. basically, the opposite to the irish.
Those are descriptors I would like to think my friends and my Mum would use about me-an easy going, friendly sort and very open minded. Obviously they must all be mistaken as it states Irish as my nationality on my birth cert. and passport.
Advertisement
12-04-2013, 20:01   #212
Conmaicne Mara
Closed Account

Give me a German anyday.
12-04-2013, 20:12   #213
Latchy
Closed Account

Overall I like the Dutch , sure I have Dutch nephews and nieces who are fine people and I love to visit as much as possible but I spent enough time there to know that they have there fair share of dodgy characters who would think nothing of knocking shyte out of anybody who crossed their paths and the police are always fishing body's out of the canals to .
21-06-2013, 00:02   #214
feargale

I guess just about everybody here has familiarity with the Netherlands and the Dutch. Can anybody solve a riddle for me? From one end of Russia to the other there is almost no difference in the Russian language. Yet in Holland, a tiny flat country with excellent communications there are huge dialect differences in the Dutch language.
21-06-2013, 02:06   #215
Laneyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyTedson View Post
What do people here think of the Dutch?
I personally like them but prefer Germans, that's just my preference.
I'd like to find out about the Dutch though. We all know about Amsterdam and dykes but I'd like to get a little more than that.
What do people think of the people themselves. They are very tall, I know that much.
Are they big in to sports? I know they really enjoy ice skating.
What about religion though, are they big in to it, I imagine not.
Is there a somewhat seedy element and deviancy to them?
Would they be considered a friendly nation? I know there's a bit of a racism issue there, somewhat due to Moroccan immigrants.
I'd love to hear from real Dutch people or people who know some or even regularly visit the country.
I'd like to get as much information as possible without really focusing on Amsterdam.

Get in touch with the Dutch
Advertisement
21-06-2013, 02:22   #216
Elmer Blooker

I think I can remember when I first liked the Dutch.
Holland beat the Germans in Euro 88 on German soil and Ronald Koeman celebrated in front of the Dutch fans by wiping his arse with a German shirt.

Last edited by Elmer Blooker; 21-06-2013 at 02:44.
21-06-2013, 02:27   #217
boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac1 View Post
Not realy, the Irish built what was the largest hydroelectric plant in the world at one stage

We're not entirely useless though some like to think so
Ahhhh, but that was actually engineered by the Germans!
Thanks from:
21-06-2013, 02:39   #218
Joe prim

All i know is that their treats aren't treats, their courage comes out of a bottle and their caps don't go on your head , but they're a great bunch of lads.
21-06-2013, 03:24   #219
kraggy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithclancy View Post
Why is Ireland called Ireland when people are referring to the Republic of Ireland.

What is a British person when the British Isles include Ireland but most people are not British on the Island of Ireland.

Explained it to a lad once,
British Isles - the Land Mass
Republic of Ireland - Ireland
Northern Ireland - Northern Ireland
Britain/British - Could be anything, Islands, the big island over on the right, a persons national identity.
Great Britain - Generally the big Island (England,Scotland, Wales)
United Kingdom - Great Britain including Ireland.

You could say our setup is even harder to understand.

However saying that, the Dutch say 'Holland' usually because its Internationally recognised, the further South you go they are more likely to say 'Nederland', plus its shorter and foreigners would have a tough time pronouncing Nederland properly so it's kind of stuck from tourism and immigrants.

The strangest border/country setup I've seen anywhere is in the Netherlands though.

http://goo.gl/maps/YF7OY

Have a beer in the Netherlands and go the the toilet in Belgium.
There's no such country as the Republic of Ireland. It's Ireland. The republic is merely a description of the country. That's according to the constitution.

So Uefa and FIFA have it wrong when they call us the Republic.

PS the UK is Great Britain and NORTHERN Ireland. Not Ireland.

Last edited by kraggy; 21-06-2013 at 03:26.
Advertisement
21-06-2013, 03:42   #220
IM0
Closed Account

in my experience they are sound, Ive met a good few never been to netherlands though, but the things you are asking you are only going to find out when you live there for sometime. anything anyone says about something ANYTHING is biast thats just a fact, if you want the true picture you go there and live simple as. I hate generalisations.....in general
21-06-2013, 03:47   #221
IM0
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
I guess just about everybody here has familiarity with the Netherlands and the Dutch. Can anybody solve a riddle for me? From one end of Russia to the other there is almost no difference in the Russian language. Yet in Holland, a tiny flat country with excellent communications there are huge dialect differences in the Dutch language.
because holland is not a country it is part of the netherlands which is in many ways like a mini continent of europe.
21-06-2013, 08:09   #222
rozeboosje

"mini contintent"

Very mini indeed, but yeah. Holland even sports a tiny little Bible Belt. XD
21-06-2013, 08:15   #223
rozeboosje

Had a look at Baarle Nassau there. I knew it was an enclave of Belgium inside the bulk of the Netherlands, but I didn't know it got even more absurd as you zoom in. I just spotted that there are enclaves of the Netherlands inside the Belgian enclave.... This is like Inception. LOL

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion