Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I had a dream were I was driving a Dublin Bus but it was from the upper deck, scary as fúck.

I've had that dream aswell :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

pred racer wrote: »
    I've had that dream aswell :eek:

I thought you'd be the guy in the back listening to scooter :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Ya ****ing hooer ya

Walk out behind a van just as im driving a double decker bus pass ya... swerved and avoided thankfully !

Passed the driving test anyway lads. Now for interview and the rest of the hiring process !

Take that gaybo and your hatred of young male drivers. I'll have fun not letting you use your bus pass !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ya ****ing hooer ya

Walk out behind a van just as im driving a double decker bus pass ya... swerved and avoided thankfully !

Passed the driving test anyway lads. Now for interview and the rest of the hiring process !

Take that gaybo and your hatred of young male drivers. I'll have fun not letting you use your bus pass !

Congrats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Ya ****ing hooer ya

Would they not interview you before letting you drive a bus around the city ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The interview was tough enough alright but i just got through it there... heres hoping lads !

And sure either wwayit was different to get out and about on a bus in the city getting cut up by taxis and cycles !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ya ****ing hooer ya

Delighted for ya. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

So what's the going rate for a full service these days?

Mechanic took my car and spent about 3.5 hours wandering around it. Gave me a price breakdown of €98 for parts and €135 for labour. Total came to €233 (well, €230).

This full service somehow didn't involve the changing of glow plugs, which I had specifically asked to be done. Everything else was done though, from what I can tell (oil filter, oil change, air filter, etc.) and he gave it a decent look over and plugged it into his laptop/dignostics software (which brought up a.. you guessed it, glow plugs issue!).

I can't help but feel I've paid over the odds. I've used this mechanic for the past 2 years (since I started driving), and have always been relatively happy, but I'm not at all impressed with this most recent effort.

Or am I being completely unfair? Perhaps the 407 is just a pain in the hole to service? What do ye guys think? Am I being unreasonable, or is it time to get a different mechanic on the scene?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Nah that sounds about right, it's the same where i work for a full service and diagnostic check too, anything after that is at the will of the owner, ironically enough we had a 407 in the other day, for glow plugs and something else, I wasn't working on it, but the guy had half the engine out on the ground and wasn't too impressed at what he pulled out, whatever it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

OSI wrote: »
    Interesting article posted in the Classics forum:

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/116000km-the-distance-to-make-up-diesel-premium-30609279.html

Interesting that it's now becoming a part of the wider media. But the way it's reported is a tad. He says it's true because a Citroen Executive told him so.

Hmmm.....

Just like Citroen Electronics, that's utter sh1te.

Rare that I do Whole Life Comparison's between Petrol & Diesel models nowadays, but a new diesel over a 3 or 4 year term will be cheaper over the whole life than the equivalent petrol, but quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, but that's probably based on 1.6 HDIs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I had the pleasure of spraying diesel all over mister G Dalton today:D

Last time he asks me to start a car for him:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

R.O.R wrote: »
    Hmmm.....

Just like Citroen Electronics, that's utter sh1te.

Rare that I do Whole Life Comparison's between Petrol & Diesel models nowadays, but a new diesel over a 3 or 4 year term will be cheaper over the whole life than the equivalent petrol, but quite a bit.

How much of that is down to higher residuals on the diesels as a result of the relative obscurity (word used advisable) of 3-4 year old petrol models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Anybody want a voucher to the value of €300 for MyDental Clinic in Ballsbridge? Too far away for me to use it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I have a toffee crisp in exchange for dental voucher could throw bag of tayto into the mix if required!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

coolisin wrote: »
    I have a toffee crisp in exchange for dental voucher could throw bag of tayto into the mix if required!!

Lame effort, I'd be offering a half eaten stale bag of taytos stashed underneath the drivers seat :D

Anybody want a voucher to the value of €300 for MyDental Clinic in Ballsbridge? Too far away for me to use it really.

How did you manage to end up with a voucher to a dental clinic that's nowhere near you? :confused:

Regardless, I know someone looking to get dental work, done. I'll say it to them. Can you PM me how much you'd be looking for, for it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Some competition via Joe.ie. Was months ago, they fecked up their system, so I only got it now. Just checked it there and it says in the T&c's "non transferable, to be used by the issued party only". Bummer, sorry guys :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Attempting a nice speed run of an engine swap in a little bit.

This can only end in disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I know this question has been asked a gazillion times lads but if the gardai are using the hand held speed camera guns do they have to pull you over or can the new ones also take picture of reg?
    Passed one in Tallow this morning doing about 63kph in a 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I know this question has been asked a gazillion times lads but if the gardai are using the hand held speed camera guns do they have to pull you over or can the new ones also take picture of reg?
    Passed one in Tallow this morning doing about 63kph in a 50

I'm almost certain they have to pull you after confirming your speed on the handheld. At 63 kph you were most likely at no more than 55kph give or take so you'd be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

It was a female guard holding it up to her face Im sure, at least I hope, only spotted her at the last second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

It was a female guard holding it up to her face Im sure, at least I hope, only spotted her at the last second.

:eek::eek::eek:

*** Reads previous posts ***

*** Excitement dies ***

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

On my cycle home yesterday, I saw a really cool modded Polo....I generally don't like that kind of stuff, but it looked class! It was a 03/04 3 door. That had been resprayed in a cream colour, with BBS LMs (painted purple with a deep chrome dish), and was running stretched tires. i gave the guy a thumbs up at a set of lights and he raised and lowered it on it's bags!

...i think i'm ill! But it was deadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

On my cycle home yesterday, I saw a really cool modded Polo....I generally don't like that kind of stuff, but it looked class! It was a 03/04 3 door. That had been resprayed in a cream colour, with BBS LMs (painted purple with a deep chrome dish), and was running stretched tires. i gave the guy a thumbs up at a set of lights and he raised and lowered it on it's bags!

There's people to deal with that. . They're called exorcists :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

that was on donedeal recently, cant seem to find it now. i thought the same thing, very nice... for a polo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Neighbour pulled out of car park this morning to be met by a Customs vehicle that happened to be passing by. Neighbour was driving a UK/NI reg car bringing their child to school. Oops! I got a chuckle watching it unfold.

In other news, I'm picking up the new car on Saturday. It's not a batmobile (unfortunately) as some may think. It's not really secret either as I've mentioned what I was going to buy before. I had to put my practical hat on so it's nothing fancy or crazy. Pics to follow.

I have another buyer coming tonight for the Merc. Hopefully that'll go and everything will wrap up nicely. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Dord wrote: »

In other news, I'm picking up the new car on Saturday. It's not a batmobile (unfortunately) as some may think. It's not really secret either as I've mentioned what I was going to buy before. I had to put my practical hat on so it's nothing fancy or crazy. Pics to follow.

Is it the Up! that you were thinking about before?

Is it the Up! that you were thinking about before?

Nah not the Up!... As with any Vw car when you start speccing them up it gets crazy. Its still a small car though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Panda?

Lads, is it me or is this way too cheap?
    NCT is legit so I'm very very interested.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-saab-9-3-1-9-tid-diesel-estate/7741391

Just found out I'm going to be a daddy :) So my type of car purchase has somewhat changed :/

Just got a call from dublin bus .... attend a medical !

You're nearly there :)

bear1 wrote: »
    Lads, is it me or is this way too cheap?
    NCT is legit so I'm very very interested.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-saab-9-3-1-9-tid-diesel-estate/7741391

Just found out I'm going to be a daddy :) So my type of car purchase has somewhat changed :/

Congrats man :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    Congrats man :)

Thanks :) The kid better be a good one for making me buy a stationwagon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thanks :) The kid better be a good one for making me buy a stationwagon :pac:

Galway City has also relocated to the US has it? :P

Cheers for all the kind words and advice during my recruitment process lads. Its being fun too ! Just hoping the last part goes well now !

If dord comes back with a B class i will be disappointed :(

Cheers for all the kind words and advice during my recruitment process lads. Its being fun too ! Just hoping the last part goes well now !

My money is on a 135i :)

• Advertisement

Panda?

Ding ding ding. We have a Weiner! :pac:

Definitely not. 'Grat's by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

darn its hard to get a quote on a Japanese car nowadays, lots cant quotes, First Ireland said I need 5 years NCB to go with AXA, I may have found somewhere for €1390 but will wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Saab? Check
    Estate? Check
    Both would make it cheap in this country anyway. And put it in a niche market.
    But if you were looking for a Saab estate, you'd want one with leather, and not north of 130,000 miles. So again, reduces the price.

Congrats, btw.

I can confirm the above :pac:

And congrats too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Great news mr bus driver.

Saab? Check
    Estate? Check
    Both would make it cheap in this country anyway. And put it in a niche market.
    But if you were looking for a Saab estate, you'd want one with leather, and not north of 130,000 miles. So again, reduces the price.

Congrats, btw.

Thanks to everyone :)
    I'm thinking of taking a look at it, I'm going to assume that it's the 120bhp version and if it is I'd get it mapped as I think 120 may be too little for a car like that.
    Already sourced a set of Vector alloys :D
    Originally I was thinking of a Saab 93 saloon but I don't think a pushchair will fit into the boot?
    There's also a V70 D5 up on DD for the same money but 3 years older and with cloth seats but heated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Hoping to go cleaning the car over the weekend. Biggest problem is the front of it is absolutely caked in flies. I always seem to have a clean car after washing it but there is still loads of fly marks on the bumper and mirrors. Surly there is an easy way of removing. Something I can get in halfords or some technic to save me some time with it.

Another no show timewaster... :(

Dord wrote: »
    Another no show timewaster... :(

I seriously can't understand what problem people have with just sending a simple "not coming" text or quick call.
    They seem to think that sellers will burst out crying on the phone or become irrate.
    Dickheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Opel have left us with a rather nice Insignia Elite 163ps, so I've zeroed all values, and I'm going to see if their fantastic fuel consumption claims (4.3L/100km - 66mpg on this model) bare any resemblance to real world usage.

I doubt the 20" wheels are going to help, and I'm going to leave the chassis setting in Touring, and the distance cruise off.

Will report back in the morning if I remember.

Just booked a flight to Dublin for next Friday, I seriously hope that Saab isn't sold :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement