Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

what was the final score pudders, how did Eoin Larkin go.

1-17 to 1-06.

The game was over as a contest at half time, as The Village led by 1-12 to 0-03. Eoin Larkin scored the goal (a scrappy effort) and slotted some nice points from play. Looked very sharp all through, played full forward for 40 minutes or so and came out to centre forward to negate JJ's influence when The Fenians started to get into it a bit.

Fenians were shocking apart from the first 10 mins of the second half, so hard to tell too much from the game.

O'Loughlins beat the Boro easily tonight in another one sided game (2-15 to 0-13). Couldn't believe how disjointed and poor the Boro looked to be honest. Not much fight in any of them and O'Loughlins (who weren't too hot themselves) could have won by more.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

o'loughlins had to win after losing to clara the first round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Does anyone know, did TJ hurl for the Shamrocks yesterday. He was rumored to be back this weekend or next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

delaney001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know, did TJ hurl for the Shamrocks yesterday. He was rumored to be back this weekend or next

I heard he played and scored 1-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

dzer2 wrote: »
    I heard he played and scored 1-4

Not so bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A big congrats to Lester Ryan who won the GAA-GPA Hurler of the League award.

From the Examiner:
    GAA President Lian Ó Néill praised both players for their performances to date in 2013. "I'm delighted to pass on my congratulations to two of the best players our leagues threw up this year, and it is no surprise that Lester Ryan and Stephen O'Neill are the two being honoured here today," he said. "Lester underlined his promise over the course of the competition with a string of performances that bode well for Kilkenny's upcoming defence of their All-Ireland crown.
    Very well deserved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Hitchens

A big congrats to Lester Ryan who won the GAA-GPA Hurler of the League award.

Very well deserved!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/henry-shefflin-in-fresh-injury-blow-29271137.html

Bad news there, we might be waiting til the Leinster final before he's back. Hopefully he is back by then (!), but you'd like for him to have a decent run in of training beforehand. Best of luck to him getting better either way, horrible luck to be getting yet another fresh injury at this stage.

In other news: http://www.thescore.ie/henry-shefflin-brian-odriscoll-910511-May2013/

Correct, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Unlucky on Henry. Lets hope he gets back soon.

Lester Ryan hurler of the year at 33/1 anyone? I know it is awful early but at the price, it could be worth a bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Pudders wrote: »

Lester Ryan hurler of the year at 33/1 anyone? I know it is awful early but at the price, it could be worth a bet.

What are they quoting Mick Fennelly at?

It's a good price. A mate of mine took a chance on Walter for MOTM at 16/1 last year and wouldn't have regretted the fiver if it hadn't come good. His reasoning was that if Walter had a decent game at all his being on a debut would swing it. Same logic for Ryan on the whole season I suppose. Wouldn't be putting the house on it, but a few quid yeah for sure. Hope he can carry his league form into summer now.

Hitchens wrote: »
    What are they quoting Mick Fennelly at?

14/1. I backed him when he won it at 40/1s a few years ago. Henry is 14/1 as are the two Hogans also with Tommy the shortest priced Kilkenny player at 10/1. Joe Canning favourite at 6/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Shefflin single handidly saved Kilkenny from two games last year.
    1: The Limerick game
    2: The first drawn championship.
    Kilkenny supporters better hope he comes back.

As for the Lester Ryan bet good luck with that. He'll be cleaned out come Championship. Someone will do a number on him if he can hold a place on the panel.

Comordha wrote: »
    As for the Lester Ryan bet good luck with that. He'll be cleaned out come Championship. Someone will do a number on him if he can hold a place on the panel.

What in sweet jesus are you talking about? :confused:

What in sweet jesus are you talking about? :confused:

Needs help me thinks.

• Advertisement

Sure we'll hold onto your comment til September anyway and see how things are with him at that stage. I presume you'll be happy enough to come back and discuss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

Says the Dub!!

Anyone think a forward line made up of:
    10.TJ
    11.Mick
    12.Larks
    13.Richie
    14.Wally
    15.Power

be worth having a look at?

With you know who to come back:D

Anyone think a forward line made up of:
    10.TJ
    11.Mick
    12.Wally
    13.Richie
    14.Power
    15.Colin

be worth having a look at?

With you know who to come back:D

Ah come on you dropped Eoin :confused:

dzer2 wrote: »
    Ah come on you dropped Eoin :confused:

Going to fix that now:P

• Advertisement

A neutral actually.
    Limerick game they were keeping up with KK until Sheff scored two goals, 2-03out of 2-07 in the first half which put Limerick away. Then you had the drawn final where he was the only player with the passion 7 skill to drag the whole team back (single-handily). 12 points out of 19. Come on lads, wake up and face reality, Kilkenny are overly reliant on him and his days are numbered. Most of the backs are 30+ at this stage too. Getting old boys, getting old. If you think league latecomers like Lester Ryan are going to fill the gap I'm sure Paddy Power will be more than happy to take your Glanbia money, as would I.

A neutral actually.
    Limerick game they were keeping up with KK until Sheff scored two goals, 2-03out of 2-07 in the first half which put Limerick away. Then you had the drawn final where he was the only player with the passion 7 skill to drag the whole team back (single-handily). 12 points out of 19. Come on lads, wake up and face reality, Kilkenny are overly reliant on him and his days are numbered. Most of the backs are 30+ at this stage too. Getting old boys, getting old. If you think league latecomers like Lester Ryan are going to fill the gap I'm sure Paddy Power will be more than happy to take your Glanbia money, as would I.

Over reliant on an auld crock and a back line of dads army.Nail on the head;)

Sure we will do our best and see how it turns out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ha Ha Kilkenny are overly reliant on Shefflin, what team wouldn't be weaker without one of the best hurlers of all time. Sure he's only won 9 all Irelands :D

Newsflash, any team is weakened without their best player!

I'm sure Paddy Power will be more than happy to take your Glanbia money, as would I.

Your posting history doesn't suggest neutrality regarding kk, to be honest, it suggests an abiding bitterness. But what exactly are you offering a bet on there? Might be a few takers, me included, if you are suggesting that Ryan won't make it as a starter at the business end this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

A neutral actually.

You can't have it both ways , slating players getting old and dismiss excellent young newcomers as league latecomers

As for the backs, the whole backline doesn't need to be replaced at once. In the last couple of years alone, Paul Murphy, Conor Fogarty, Richie Doyle and Kieran Joyce have come on the scene as well as Eoin Murphy in goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Agree re Sheflin and the two games you have highlighted, but not sure how its relevant to this year, firstly he more than likely will be back as ggod as ever and if not look at the list of potential replacements, its not as if they will be playing with 14.

As for your comments on Lester Ryan, you clearly have an issue with KK or this will be your first year watching championship hurling. The guy has/will force the deployment of either Michale Rice or more likely Michael Fennelly to the half forward line, quite an achievement in itself. Certainly looks the real deal to me.

Yeah, we did real **** in the league without Henry......

Of course any team would be weakened by the absence of the GREATEST hurler ever. But we still have a few other lads who can hurl on the team:
    Mick Fennelly (Hurler of the year 2011)
    Tommy Walsh (Hurler of the year 2009)
    Eoin Larkin (Hurler of the year 2008)
    JJ Delaney 9Hurler of the year 2003).

And as for the aging backline, in Kilkenny we don;t need to rushlads in. They get their chance when they are 24-26 unless they are incredibly talented. Lester Ryan may be a "league latecomer" whatever the hell that means but he also was the hurler of the league. Lester may not win hurler of the year, but at the price I won't be sobbing over the £20 if I lose.

Its great being a cat at the moment. We can win sweet **** all for the next 50 years, but none of us will ever forget the run we have had from this bunch of lads. A golden era that will never be forgotten.

"Paul Murphy, Conor Fogarty, Richie Doyle and Kieran Joyce" -
    Hopefully the play a cleaner version of the game and abide by the rulebook more than the last bunch.

Hopefully the play a cleaner version of the game and abide by the rulebook more than the last bunch.

Name the last Kilkenny player sent off in a championship match?

Take the chip off your shoulder.

obvious troll is obvious.

• Advertisement

Wait, I thought the problem was that the team is too old? Is it now that they are too tough for you? It's hard to follow, your neutral perspective changes so quickly. Anyways your original point (such as it was) seemed to be that without Shefflin we are screwed. So, could you come out with a prediction? How far do you think KK will get, what with our ancient backs and our one-player forward unit? And can we trust you to come back and defend your view when you are inevitably revealed to be completely in error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Shamrocks beaten by a point tonight.

Mick Fennelly taken to hospital with what looks like a serious ankle injury according to Twitter.

F&^k

Shamrocks beaten by a point tonight.

Mick Fennelly taken to hospital with what looks like a serious ankle injury according to Twitter.

F&^k

That's a terrible bit of news forhim, not to mention KK and Ballyhale. Hope it's not too serious in the end. Huge loss to KK given the form he has been showing if he's out.

On another note: seriously? Clara won? Absolutely incredible result for them!

That's a terrible bit of news forhim, not to mention KK and Ballyhale. Hope it's not too serious in the end. Huge loss to KK given the form he has been showing if he's out.

On another note: seriously? Clara won? Absolutely incredible result for them!

Crazy, seemingly Clara were well worth the win (again, according to twitter)

Both the senior and intermediate are throwing up some absolutely off the wall results...which is proving quite hard for any potential accumulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭randd1

Name the last Kilkenny player sent off in a championship match?

Richie Hogan v Limerick last year.

Just because they don't get red cards it doesn't mean that they aren't breaking the rules, just that they are clever at avoiding being punished. Fortunately Barry Kelly seems to be wise to the usual culprits, they should allow him to ref all Kilkenny games. Wadding couldn't spot any of their malicious behaviour.

On a seperate note, feel bad for M.Fennelly if that's true & affects his year as he was flying it & has been unlucky with injuries in recent times. Colin seems less injury prone.

Colin seems less injury prone.

Funny you should say that, I don't think he played tonight.

Fortunately Barry Kelly seems to be wise to the usual culprits, they should allow him to ref all Kilkenny games. Wadding couldn't spot any of their malicious behaviour.

Huh...pretty sure most KK fans would rather Barry Kelly to Wadding, so...grand...

Just because they don't get red cards it doesn't mean that they aren't breaking the rules, just that they are clever at avoiding being punished. Fortunately Barry Kelly seems to be wise to the usual culprits, they should allow him to ref all Kilkenny games. Wadding couldn't spot any of their malicious behaviour.

On a separate note, feel bad for M.Fennelly if that's true & affects his year as he was flying it & has been unlucky with injuries in recent times. Colin seems less injury prone.

To be fair though i think Michael probably has more tussles to contend in a game than Colin due to his positions in the middle or the centre forward position. Either way he is right in the coal room whereas Colin's job is to get the loose ball and finish it off.

May be wrong but could have some correlation

• Advertisement

Limerick beat KK yesterday 1-25 to 1-20 in Staker Wallace GAA grounds. There's a report here.
    KILKENNY - David Herity; Padraig Walsh, Kieran Joyce, Jackie Tyrrell; Paddy Hogan, Brian Hogan, Conor Fogarty; Lester Ryan, Cillian Buckley; TJ Reid, Mark Kelly, Matthew Ruth; Joe Brennan, Eoin Larkin, Aidan Fogarty.

Subs: Tommy Walsh for Paddy Hogan (h-t), Tom Breen for Mark Kelly (h-t), Ger Aylward for Cillian Buckley (39mins), Willie Phelan for Matthew Ruth (52mins), John Tennyson for Lester Ryan (55mins), Matthew Ruth for Eoin Larkin, inj (56mins), Brian Kennedy for Jackie Tyrrell (61mins), Thomas Keogh for Ger Aylward (69mins).

Scorers: Eoin Larkin 0-8 (6frees), Joe Brennan 0-4, Tom Breen 1-1, Aidan Fogarty, Matthew Ruth 0-2 each, Cillian Buckley, Paddy Hogan, TJ Reid 0-1 each.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Was standing next to the KK dugout when Larkin hobbled off with an ankle injury, looked pretty painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Story with other KK injuries, M Fennelly, Rice etc.? Has Fennelly's ailment been diagnosed yet?

Mick Fennelly reported to have NOT broken his ankle but badly swollen. Some good news. Doubt if he'll make Offaly but better longer term news. Still sweating on Michael Rice.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Hurling/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=192646

Best of luck to John Tennyson on his inter-county retirement. Unfortunately he never got the opportunity I feel to show his worth following the knee injury in 2011 and even before that thought he pobably deserved more opportunities than he got. A fine hurler and one of the unsung heroes of our golden generation. Still going to hurl for Shocks. Best of luck and thanks for everything!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/kilkenny-star-john-tennyson-announces-his-intercounty-retirement-29299413.html

• Advertisement

So who's ruled out for Sundays match: Henry, Mick Fennelly ... Michael Rice (?) ... anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

I've heard it from one of the players Tayto and Shefflin are the only two missing. Colin F and jackie didn't play in a behind closed doors game last weekend but think thats Jackie minding himself. Both should be fine, I expect a team like so....

E Murphy

P Murphy JJ Delaney J Tyrell

T Walsh B Hogan K Joyce

M Rice L Ryan

TJ Reid R Power E Larkin

W Walsh R Hogan C Fennelly

1.        EOIN MURPHY                                   GLENMORE       
    2.        PAUL MURPHY                                  DANESFORT
    3.        J.J. DELANEY                                     FENIANS
    4.        JACKIE TYRRELL                              JAMES STEPHENS           
    5.        TOMMY WALSH                                TULLAROAN
    6.        BRIAN HOGAN                                   O’LOUGHLIN GAELS
    7.        KIERAN JOYCE                                 ROWER INISTIOGE
    8.        LESTER RYAN                                   CLARA
    9.        MICHAEL RICE                                 CARRICKSHOCK
    10.     T J REID                                             BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    11.     RICHIE POWER                                 CARRICKSHOCK
    12.     EOIN LARKIN                                    JAMES STEPHENS
    13.     COLIN FENNELLY                            BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    14.     RICHIE HOGAN                                DANESFORT
    15.     AIDAN FOGARTY                             EMERALDS

16.     DAVID HERITY                                DUNNAMAGGIN
    17.     CONOR FOGARTY                           ERINS OWN
    18.     PADDY HOGAN                                DANESFORT
    19.     CILLIAN BUCKLEY                           DICKSBORO
    20.     WALTER WALSH                             TULLOGHER ROSBERCON
    21.     MATTHEW RUTH                              JAMES STEPHENS
    22.     PADRAIG WALSH                             TULLAROAN     
    23.     WILLIE PHELAN                               DUNNAMAGGIN
    24.     RICHIE DOYLE                                  BARROW RANGERS
    25.     JOE BRENNAN                                   ST. PATRICKS
    26.     MARK KELLY                                    O’LOUGHLIN GAELS

• Registered Users Posts: 38 chris2bhoy

anyone know whose going to be on the free,s for kilkenny tomorrow that king sheff is missing larkin perhaps or ritchie power??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

chris2bhoy wrote: »
    anyone know whose going to be on the free,s for kilkenny tomorrow that king sheff is missing larkin perhaps or ritchie power??

I'd guess Richie

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement