Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC Fight Night 53 - Nelson vs Story

Options
  • 29-07-2014 5:21pm

Anyone else thinking of heading out to these events? Got my stockholm tix for £55 return from london, from Dublin it's 100 euro at the minute, sure to go up soon. Istanbul tix were £94 return from London

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ThePhilip

Both events would be cool, those prices sound decent too. I´m interested in Istanbul because they´ve never been there, always cool to see how new markets will react, I can imagine it going down well there.

Any idea who´s on the cards yet? I wonder if they´ll put Gus on the Stockholm card now that he´s out of the Jones fight? I think he´s only going to be set back around two weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ThePhilip wrote: »
    Both events would be cool, those prices sound decent too. I´m interested in Istanbul because they´ve never been there, always cool to see how new markets will react, I can imagine it going down well there.

Any idea who´s on the cards yet? I wonder if they´ll put Gus on the Stockholm card now that he´s out of the Jones fight? I think he´s only going to be set back around two weeks or so.

No news on Istanbul but 4 bouts announced for Sweden so far, think Cathal Pendred wants to be part of this card also...

Featherweight - Dennis Siver -V- Robert Whitford
    Featherweight - Nicklas Backstrom -V- Mike Wilkinson
    Featherweight - Zubaira Tukhugov -V- Ernest Chavez
    Welterweight - Amir Sadollah -V- Nico Musoke

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

ThePhilip wrote: »

didnt pendred tweet #UFCStockholm the other day???

Dave 101 wrote: »
    didnt pendred tweet #UFCStockholm the other day???

Norman Parke knows his next match-up too and is teasing twitter with it. Could be stockholm. Gunnar Nelson for main event maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Norman Parke knows his next match-up too and is teasing twitter with it. Could be stockholm. Gunnar Nelson for main event maybe?

Norman is a lightweight and Gunni is a middleweight so don't think it will be that. I think Gunni will be on the card though.

Wonder if Gus will have recovered? I doubt he would be on the card as its a fight night but I would say he would love to be on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

RoboRat wrote: »
    Norman is a lightweight and Gunni is a middleweight so don't think it will be that. I think Gunni will be on the card though.

Wonder if Gus will have recovered? I doubt he would be on the card as its a fight night but I would say he would love to be on it.

Don't think he was implying they'd be fighting each other, just both on the card with Gunni headlining... also Gunni is a ww.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

No news on Istanbul but 4 bouts announced for Sweden so far, think Cathal Pendred wants to be part of this card also...

Featherweight - Dennis Siver -V- Robert Whitford
    Featherweight - Nicklas Backstrom -V- Mike Wilkinson
    Featherweight - Zubaira Tukhugov -V- Ernest Chavez
    Welterweight - Amir Sadollah -V- Nico Musoke

I remember being really impressed by this guy in his last fight. Will look forward to seeing him on this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

also Gunni is a ww.

Yup, meant that, not sure why I said MW!!

Jan Blachowicz vs. Ilir Latifi

No surprise Latifi's on the card

Card taking shape quickly now:
    Mairbek Taisumov meets Marcin Bandel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

RoboRat wrote: »

Is Gunnar Nelson not a welterweight? :confused:

Screen_Shot_2014_08_01_at_2_54_21_PM.png

Dermighty wrote: »
    Is Gunnar Nelson not a welterweight? :confused:

Screen_Shot_2014_08_01_at_2_54_21_PM.png

see post 7

Gunnar nelson vs Rick Story

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gunnar nelson vs Rick Story

Nice.

It's the headliner too.

I've asked the Mods to edit the thread title.

I like Gunnar alot, have seen him in Manchester, London and Dublin but it's not a main event imo. Not against Story anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

DrPhilG wrote: »

Sorted

Tickets onsale August 20th for fightclub members, 21st for newsletter presale, 22nd for everyone who couldn't be arsed to take 10 seconds to sign up to the newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Nice.

It's the headliner too.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Sorted
    El Guapo! wrote: »
    There's another thread for this.

Thanks, Didn't notice the thread with the other title

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Thanks, Didn't notice the thread with the other title

No prob. :)

Story should be an easy win for Gunni, Story's last 10 fights he is 5-5 in UFC not the type of bout that should be in order for Gunni certainly not to headline; even if the "Horror" holds a win over the current champ but that was yonks ago.

Although saying that the card is taking right shape now with 8 bouts announced so imagine only 2-3 to be announced; surely get a least 1 Irish lad on card??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Info on the event/fighters ... ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-stockholm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pendred vs Umalatov confirmed

xtal191 wrote: »
    Pendred vs Umalatov confirmed

Must be 9 fights now, would be nice to see a few women make it onto the card after the lack of any on the Dublin card

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Must be 9 fights now, would be nice to see a few women make it onto the card after the lack of any on the Dublin card

Wasn't one of the 115lb girls from a few weeks back from Finland or somewhere? I'd have thought she'll be pushing to get on the card, if they have enough girls available before TUF ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Story should be an easy win for Gunni, Story's last 10 fights he is 5-5 in UFC not the type of bout that should be in order for Gunni certainly not to headline; even if the "Horror" holds a win over the current champ but that was yonks ago.

What a pile of crap. I hope Nelson wins it too but this post stinks of someone who reads wikipedia fight records rather than actually watching the fights. Story is serious business, even in his losses he has looked like an absolute monster. If one or two things had gone his way, he could be champ now and I wouldn't rule it out in the future. Very tough fight for Gunni.

What a pile of crap. I hope Nelson wins it too but this post stinks of someone who reads wikipedia fight records rather than actually watching the fights. Story is serious business, even in his losses he has looked like an absolute monster. If one or two things had gone his way, he could be champ now and I wouldn't rule it out in the future. Very tough fight for Gunni.

Sound for that!!

Story could have been champ go way outta that and his level of competition would have to be questioned in his last fights most of those fights I have seen some I haven't as I don't always get to see the prelims where he has mainly has been and can't remember thinkin he was the same beast he was a few years ago and that was when Kos and Shields were getting title shots, his time has passed thats my opinion if you don't agree fair enough.

As for the fight records wikipedia isn't the only place for those :). I'm afraid my head doesn't have the capacity to log every fighters record so I'm not gonna state a particular one without confirming it first no matter how much I could guess I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Never heard of Umalatov before today but just watched his last fight against Paulo Thiago. He looks to be a decent grappler and striker and is a master of sports in sambo. Could be a very tough fight for Pendred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Sound for that!!

Story could have been champ go way outta that and his level of competition would have to be questioned in his last fights most of those fights I have seen some I haven't as I don't always get to see the prelims where he has mainly has been and can't remember thinkin he was the same beast he was a few years ago and that was when Kos and Shields were getting title shots, his time has passed thats my opinion if you don't agree fair enough.

As for the fight records wikipedia isn't the only place for those :). I'm afraid my head doesn't have the capacity to log every fighters record so I'm not gonna state a particular one without confirming it first no matter how much I could guess I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I don't mentally log each fighter's record either but your post seemed to make out that Story is some kind of bum being fed to Nelson. Story stands out for me, I remember his fights because he's a high level fighter. He was on an impressive title run before the Marquart steroid mess and he could get back there IMO. He's only 29/30 and we've seen older/worse fighters than him putting together a good run.

This isn't some kind of Rick Story admiration post, I do like his fights but I'll be rooting for Gunni. To make Story out as some kind of walkover is ridiculous though, and if you'd seen his fights you'd agree with me. Very tough fight for Nelson but an excellent main event.

I didn't say Story was a bum and again I've seen a number of his fights but clearly not the ones you're referring to. I said it should be an easy fight for Gunni and I stand by that.

• Advertisement

The last fight will be the Korean Zombie vs Akira Corrasani..... fantastic

Advertisement