Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MagicIRL wrote: »
    @TheNotoriousMMA is up next on @MMAjunkieRadio talking about ‪#‎UFCDublin‬, a new book deal & ‪#‎UFC178‬!
    Tune in here: http://t.co/8FkKrrQRCN

They couldn't get hold of him, guessing wit the nice day he was down the beach wit a few cans of Dutch Gold :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I wouldn't think Conor's weight cut is that bad. He seems to have one of those bodies that maintains low body fat really easily. Even during his year off he was tweeting pics of himself and he was still ripped. Someone like Diego Brandao gets visibly chubbier in between fights and then the weight cut kills their cardio.

Look at this video of Aldo cutting weight. He looks like he's going through hell. If you look at any videos of Conor in the run up to the weigh ins he's still his typical bubbly, energetic self.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlgj0m_jose-aldo-weight-cut-battle_sport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

McGregor probably doesn't cut as much water as other fighters, he diets super hard, is ripped as ****, super low bodyfat. Apparetly Aldo got kidney stones over cutting so much (water) weight his last two fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I wonder if that Bermudez win last night will bump mcgregor up or down in the rankings?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I wonder if that Bermudez win last night will bump mcgregor up or down in the rankings?

Reckon Bermudez might jump ahead of him with Guida falling behind. Siver could easily drop back as well. Could see Bermudez and McGregor taking 8th and 9th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

osl wrote: »
    Reckon Bermudez might jump ahead of him with Guida falling behind. Siver could easily drop back as well. Could see Bermudez and McGregor taking 8th and 9th.

I like Dennis Siver but I wouldn't see him moving up the rankings more than a single place any time soon. Any of the feather weights I've seen fight recently would beat him any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,099 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CM24 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think Conor's weight cut is that bad. He seems to have one of those bodies that maintains low body fat really easily. Even during his year off he was tweeting pics of himself and he was still ripped.
    I'd out that down to Conor's hard work and a solid diet rather him naturally being ripped. Ditto Diego's diet obv slips between camps.
    Gumbi wrote: »
    McGregor probably doesn't cut as much water as other fighters, he diets super hard, is ripped as ****, super low bodyfat.

I've no doubt that he has his diet nailed down. And he stays pretty close to fight condition all the time. Be he isn't stepping into the cage close to 145. I can't see him being much lighter than others tbh.
    osl wrote: »

Yeah.
    I can see Guida dropping, Bermudez back in and Siver slipping further.

7th Lentz
    8th Bermudez
    9th Conor
    10th Guida
    11th Siver

Oh, I agree. There are some fighters, like Aldo, that really struggle with the weight and it is very taxing on them. It seems Conor has it down to a tee and executes it very well.

All that said there is no doubt he steps on the mat 160-165.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd out that down to Conor's hard work and a solid diet rather him naturally being ripped. Ditto Diego's diet obv slips between camps
    Some people's bodies are genetically gifted though. I'v personally always had a keen interest in health and fitness but I still find that my body gets cranky when I try to get my bodyfat well below 10%. I start feeling irritable, cold and weak.

Yet my brother who grew up with the exact same diet and lifestyle as me is constantly ripped despite not having near as much knowledge or dedication as me.

Someone who has to force their body to get really lean for a specific event will be prone to epic food binges afterwards. Happens to lots of bodybuilders. Look at what happened to Ricky Hatton in between fights. For Conor it doesn't seem to be a struggle. After his first fight in the UFC people were commenting on how he went backstage where the rest of the fighters were provided with pizza and junk food yet he ate blueberries instead!

Obviously he's dedicated but genetics do play a big role.

I dunno. I think people use genetics as a throw away excuse too often. Conor was nowhere near as ripped he was 2 years ago and looked a lot more "normal".

Eating junk food after a weight is not actually that bad considering they are carb loading after minimising their carb intake for so long and dehydrating themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Why would you fuel your body with junk fuel when you could be filling it with fuel that will ensure you perform and that your body runs efficiently, especially at a time as crucial as replenishing after a cut? Downing a load of Skittles, probably not the way to go. The cut is down to a routine and is very much on point, every time. The ISI have played a huge part in the efficiency and professionalism associated with an SBG fighter cutting weight the right way. The guys don't do 8-10 week training camps. They stay in shape all year round so that drastic, unhealthy practises aren't required to shed a tonne of weight at the last second. You often hear Conor say during fight week that it's that time in which fighters earn their money. It's the trying part of it all, but it's the least expected of each professional fighter - that they turn up at the contracted weight. Anything else, barring special circumstances, is just sloppy.

People like Hatton got outright fat during their downtime. They lack the discipline to be one of the best in the world, IMO. They make excellent, exciting fighters - no question. But they put a glass ceiling on their potential by basically being flagrantly stupid in their choices.
    This whole 'training camp' thing always seemed strange to me - it work for some, especially those that don't just stop and get out of shape in the interim. But staying in shape, constantly evolving whilst training at a good medium pace all year around seems to just make more sense to me.

No idea where I'm going with this, I'm just bored in work and didn't know where to stop....

CM24 wrote: »
    Some people's bodies are genetically gifted though. I'v personally always had a keen interest in health and fitness but I still find that my body gets cranky when I try to get my bodyfat well below 10%. I start feeling irritable, cold and weak.
    Yeah, I'm well aware that genetics cone I to it. I wouldn't be particularly gifted in that area either, sadly.
    Someone who has to force their body to get really lean for a specific event will be prone to epic food binges afterwards. Happens to lots of bodybuilders. Look at what happened to Ricky Hatton in between fights. For Conor it doesn't seem to be a struggle. After his first fight in the UFC people were commenting on how he went backstage where the rest of the fighters were provided with pizza and junk food yet he ate blueberries instead!

Obviously he's dedicated but genetics do play a big role.
    What you described above is his commitment and a great diet, not his genetics.
    Genetics would be eating the pizza and staying lean. Ricky Hatton got fat eating crap and being lazy, not genetics either.

Richy06 wrote: »
    Why would you fuel your body with junk fuel when you could be filling it with fuel that will ensure you perform and that your body runs efficiently, especially at a time as crucial as replenishing after a cut? Downing a load of Skittles, probably not the way to go. The cut is down to a routine and is very much on point, every time. The ISI have played a huge part in the efficiency and professionalism associated with an SBG fighter cutting weight the right way. The guys don't do 8-10 week training camps. They stay in shape all year round so that drastic, unhealthy practises aren't required to shed a tonne of weight at the last second. You often hear Conor say during fight week that it's that time in which fighters earn their money. It's the trying part of it all, but it's the least expected of each professional fighter - that they turn up at the contracted weight. Anything else, barring special circumstances, is just sloppy.

People like Hatton got outright fat during their downtime. They lack the discipline to be one of the best in the world, IMO. They make excellent, exciting fighters - no question. But they put a glass ceiling on their potential by basically being flagrantly stupid in their choices.
    This whole 'training camp' thing always seemed strange to me - it work for some, especially those that don't just stop and get out of shape in the interim. But staying in shape, constantly evolving whilst training at a good medium pace all year around seems to just make more sense to me.

No idea where I'm going with this, I'm just bored in work and didn't know where to stop....
    It's not 100% ideal, but carb loading is part of the post weight cut, and it just so happens pizza and chips fits the bill (not the healthiest choice post weight cut, but like I said, part of it is mental and a reward for going through a tough cut).

Yeah, I'm well aware that genetics cone I to it. I wouldn't be particularly gifted in that area either, sadly.

What you described above is his commitment and a great diet, not his genetics.
    Genetics would be eating the pizza and staying lean. Ricky Hatton got fat eating crap and being lazy, not genetics either.

Agreed, McGregor says he diets extra hard throughout his camp in Iceland which burns through his already minimal fat stores.

Why would you fuel your body with junk fuel when you could be filling it with fuel that will ensure you perform and that your body runs efficiently, especially at a time as crucial as replenishing after a cut? Downing a load of Skittles, probably not the way to go. The cut is down to a routine and is very much on point, every time. The ISI have played a huge part in the efficiency and professionalism associated with an SBG fighter cutting weight the right way. The guys don't do 8-10 week training camps. They stay in shape all year round so that drastic, unhealthy practises aren't required to shed a tonne of weight at the last second.

I agree with what you are saying about staying in shape all the time. Avoiding a yo-yo diet, and having to shed body fat. Absolutely that's the right way to go.
    But weigh-in is a unique time. There's a very good reason for eating excessively post weigh-in.
    They need to replace the cals they've skipped. Reload depleted glycogen (carbs) and importantly they need sodium (salt) to the place shed water.
    Fast food wouldn't be the best way to refuel, but at that time it's better than a low fat salad.

I imagine McGregor was is on top if that too. Prob went for some paleo type meal, meat, starches, coconut, salt etc. it wasn't blueberries anyway ;)

I agree with what you are saying about staying in shape all the time. Avoiding a yo-yo diet, and having to shed body fat. Absolutely that's the right way to go.
    But weigh-in is a unique time. There's a very good reason for eating excessively post weigh-in.
    They need to replace the cals they've skipped. Reload depleted glycogen (carbs) and importantly they need sodium (salt) to the place shed water.
    Fast food wouldn't be the best way to refuel, but at that time it's better than a low fat salad.

I imagine McGregor was is on top if that too. Prob went for some paleo type meal, meat, starches, coconut, salt etc. it wasn't blueberries anyway ;)

Of course he ate a good meal after it, I didn't mean he went and had a low fat salad. He has his food looked after for him. I wasn't saying that, I was just trying to debunk the fact that eating junk food would be fine after cutting.

Gumbi wrote: »
    It's not 100% ideal, but carb loading is part of the post weight cut, and it just so happens pizza and chips fits the bill (not the healthiest choice post weight cut, but like I said, part of it is mental and a reward for going through a tough cut).

Trust me. Conor doesn't chow down on chips and pizza after weighing in, no matter how "ok" it would appear to be. It'd make you sluggish, bloated and you'd have a serious dose of the shi*s if you pump junk food into your body having kept it clean for so long. This would impact performance on fight night and leave you with a reputation as one of those fu**ers who farts when you get a knee ride on them. :P

Trust me. Conor doesn't chow down on chips and pizza after weighing in, no matter how "ok" it would appear to be. It'd make you sluggish, bloated and you'd have a serious dose of the ****s if you pump junk food into your body having kept it clean for so long. This would impact performance on fight night and leave you with a reputation as one of those ****ers who farts when you get a knee ride on them. :P

Haha, oh ofc I absolute agree, I was just saying that it's not as uncommon as one might think, even at a relatively high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Trust me. Conor doesn't chow down on chips and pizza after weighing in, no matter how "ok" it would appear to be. It'd make you sluggish, bloated and you'd have a serious dose of the shi*s if you pump junk food into your body having kept it clean for so long. This would impact performance on fight night and leave you with a reputation as one of those fu**ers who farts when you get a knee ride on them. :P

To be fair, ifs its a decent knee ride doesn't matter if you have been feasting on organic non GM wheat grass, a little gas leak is inevitable :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There you have it folks, the glamorous world of Mixed Martial Arts :p:)

• Advertisement

To be fair, ifs its a decent knee ride doesn't matter if you have been feasting on organic non GM wheat grass, a little gas leak is inevitable :)

Never, ever rolling with you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Never, ever rolling with you.....

Just don't knee ride me bro and we are cool bro

darced wrote: »

Way to miss the point. I think John said many times the trip to Iceland was to get away from everything and to just concentrate on training and recovery. Probably more intense than their usual schedule, for certain and probably seemed more like one of the traditional camps you hear of. I'm not saying that they don't step up the pace on the run up to a fight - suggesting they wouldn't is stupid. But they do stay in shape all year round. They don't get out of shape between fights and then require 8 weeks to get back into fight shape - unless someone's injured. There's a reason many of our guys get fights on short notice - because, to use what's become a calling card, they stay ready. Don't believe me if you don't want to, I just see the facts of what's actually happening.

Do they go through periods of upped intensity in the lead up to a fight? Yes.
    But they also train, for the most part, every day, at a good medium to medium high intensity. I didn't suggest they are at peak all year, but very close to being so. I've seen many of them fight on 1-2 week notice and not look like they were any worse for it. It's not a line of thinking, it's just the way things are done.

I never said Hatton didn't reach a world level. I said he limited his upside by not having the discipline to live the lifestyle of an athlete all the time. He ballooned in weight, ate sh*t, snorted much coke and drank a breweries worth of beer. Tell me that had no effect on Hatton's career and, well, you're probably not all that in touch with reality, or are just arguing with me for argument's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭xtal191

Up to 9 in the rankings now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Amazing insight indeed.
    I'll make this easy for you, Thomas. Since your only contributions to any thread relating to McGregor are negative, and it's clear you only want to come in here and troll and fighter bash......you're no longer welcome to post in this thread.
    If you post in this thread again, or if you continue to troll in the forum, you'll be permanently banned from the forum.
    Thomas D wrote: »

Perma-Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Bloddy UFC 178 tickets have been pushed back to next week. Grrr... I won't be able to relax until I get my hands on tickets! I thought I was grabbing them in the pre-sale today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Why are they pushed back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement