Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Age of Extinction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It has it's market unfortunately, and studios go where the money is.

I saw the Third one with my Transformers-obsessed Brother in the cinema and he absolutely loved it.

...I must admit I didn't hate it, except there wasn't nearly enough robots. Maybe with leBeef gone we'll get more autobot action?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭take everything

Transformers as a franchise is frankly everything that is wrong with cinema summed up in one horrid trilogy.

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

wasnt there talks of jason statham signing up for a tranformers film a few months back,

all you gotta do for a good tranformers film is have optimus say "autobots transform, and roll out" unless he says it it wont be a good film;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Nope. Its pretty in character

(and he was more of a cnut in the comics)

Thats one of my favorite scenes in any movie..... EVER. The Stan Bush song just makes it!!!
    hey man.

sorry i didnt get back. ill try to explain it.

now contrast that with the end of DOTM where he executes sentinel prime who's begging for his life

the end of the great chinholio's clip copperfastens that, prime would not execute a helpless foe if theyre begging - EVEN if its megatron.

"we shall KILL THEM ALL ! "

THATs not prime ! if he'd said something like "we shall end this!" i could take that but in the ENTIRE time ive read/watched transformer ive NEVER heard prime talk like that. part of me thinks cullen mustve died a little reading that.

Yeah I see what you're saying and it does make sense a bit, and I do kind of agree with you..... But..... imo they were trying to portray the autobots as soldiers and Sentinel committed treason and nearly destroyed earth with megatrons help, so from that point of view the only solution in primes head was to remove the threat once and for all.

And as Chinny said, he was more of a psycho in the comics, he was softer in the cartoons cause they were more aimed at kids so they couldnt be as violent!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

First movie - Good
    Second movie - Awful
    Third movie - Not good

I think the reason alot of people are píssed with Bay and how he's managed to make a meal of this franchise is because it's a franchise that deserved more - it had so much potential

The movie has made billions, and it'll make more because people like myself will pay to go and see these movies as long as they continue - hoping against hope that it'll turn around and it won't be as bad as the last one.

Sadly I don't think that day is coming with Michael Bay at the helm

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I see what you're saying and it does make sense a bit, and I do kind of agree with you..... But..... imo they were trying to portray the autobots as soldiers and Sentinel committed treason and nearly destroyed earth with megatrons help, so from that point of view the only solution in primes head was to remove the threat once and for all.

And as Chinny said, he was more of a psycho in the comics, he was softer in the cartoons cause they were more aimed at kids so they couldnt be as violent!

I think the circumstances were all wrong though, whatever about sentinel, but megatron had just helped him take down sentinel, for selfish reasons and all but megatron was just a pawn to sentinel in that movie and by the end he was a broken man/robot. I reckon prime would have left him alone to fight another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think the circumstances were all wrong though, whatever about sentinel, but megatron had just helped him take down sentinel, for selfish reasons and all but megatron was just a pawn to sentinel in that movie and by the end he was a broken man/robot. I reckon prime would have left him alone to fight another day.

I have to disagree with you. From my point of view, Primes decision was made based on how much wrong megatron had done, all the destruction he caused, the lives he had taken and the only way it would ever stop is if megatron was no more. Leaving no other choice but to destry him once and for all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Saw the first one...alright.

Saw half the second before I gave up.

Didn't bother with the third.

The kids I teach (11-16) absolutely rave on about Transformers all the time. Can't get enough of it. The more explosions the better :D, they couldn't care less about a storyline. That and Twilight are the top 2.

Micheal Bay is doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I don't understand these movies. That isn't meant as a criticism of modern audiences. What I mean is I literally don't understand Transformers movies. I've watched the first two and I have to admit that half the time I don't know whether I'm looking at a good guy or a bad guy. A lot of them time I can't make out what a particular robot has just said or what they're planning to do or why. When the battles start, forget it. It's just a mindless orgy of pointless crashes and explosions by that point.

I liked the cartoon back in the day and I could make out who was who and what was going on, but these movies seem to be nothing more than just one giant brain-fart. Would it be that hard to make a big dumb movie that is somewhat easier to follow?

Still I know that someone must like them because of the numbers they post at the box-office and as such I suppose they'll keep making them while they're raking in a fortune in the theatres and on BD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Thats one of my favorite scenes in any movie..... EVER. The Stan Bush song just makes it!!!

chinny's wrong.

ive been reading the comics since the early 80s.

primes never done the stuff he did at the end of DOTM in any of em. in fact bar the first one most of what he's done in the movies is out of character . maybe hes confusing him with rodimus prime, he's done that in the comics . but Op's never executed someone like that.

this bloke is more like the comics grimlock TBH.

DONT get me wrong. i turn my brain off and enjoy these films as much as the next guy. my main complaint is bays tendancy to drag the flim on for three hours ala pearl harbour with nowt of real interest happening.

it just guts me that there actually IS some great stuff that could be done (a good example would be a G2 comic adaptation, which considering bay killed practically every decent bad guy in the last one is probably a good way to go) and we aint getting it.

ive said it before. bays films are the equivilent of the tim burtons batmans films.

they look good and make a fortune, but they dont do justice to the source material. im still waiting for our "christopher nolan" to come along and give us a flim that LOOKS this good, but actually has character to boot.

think about it.

weve THREE films , extening over the guts of 8 hours or so. how many times did the bots and cons just talk to each other ?

how many dilemmas did you see the charactes put in ?

the only lads to get development to any sort of degree was prime and bumblebee and he couldnt talk. even the megs screamer relationship was only cursorly touched upon. we seen plenty of groveling but no backstabbing from starscream and that shouldve happend by now, even if only in a plot where megs never finds out.

hell in a film series in which many characters are injured and prime DIES at one point ratchet doesnt do anything involving his medical skills at all..

the main reason for this?

bay just doesnt get the characters. for him its all about blowing crap up and ass shots. that and pimping the military. nothing really wrong with that as long as it doesnt bugger up the story, and bay invariably does.

weve seen virtually nothing about their world, their society, their interpersonal relationships - weve seen more bot/human relations than bot/bot. there was some nice stuff between lennox and ironhide for instance. but nothing on the bot front in regard to how they feel about each other for good or ill.

how are they fueled? wheres ratchets lab? were actually expected to belive they live in a garage for gods sake. at this stage in their relationship with humanity they should have their own base of operations built with their own tech.

ill be honest if it was up to me i'd reboot from scratch and do a loose adaptation of IDWs infiltration/escalation series.

THATS what a TF movie should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Let me sum up what prime did at the end of DOTM with a simple picture:

Nguyen.jpg

with robots

It is a horrifying message to send out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

untill this comes out heres something to whet the appetite.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnazs2t5Brg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jebus, look at grimlock!!

Not unlike the star wars: the old republic trailers that clip is considerably better than anything in the films.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Jebus, look at grimlock!!

Not unlike the star wars: the old republic trailers that clip is considerably better than anything in the films.

All those star wars trailers are class

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

When watching stuff like that you have to wonder... how does DotM exist at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

i hope shia the beefs parents are back, they crack me up with their crazy antics and matching jumpsuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

paulieeye wrote: »
    i hope shia the beefs parents are back, they crack me up with their crazy antics and matching jumpsuits!
    Never mind the parents - Shia himself might not be back. The producer has rolled out the R-word:
    “I think we really are going to do a reboot there. [But] what that’s going to be, we don’t even know yet…. We’ve got to get a story first. It’s a hybrid because there’s still continuity going on, and there will be a lot of new cast. Whether there’s anybody from the first cast, we don’t even know yet. But it’s going to be a whole new story. But the characters that would certainly come along would be Optimus and Bumblebee, I’m sure.”
    Summer 2014.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

bnt wrote: »
    Never mind the parents - Shia himself might not be back. The producer has rolled out the R-word:

Summer 2014.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang ...

Director rebooting his own franchise. Hollywood is strange

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sounds like they have no clue what they want to do with it... just like the last 2 movies as they were filming then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

EXPLOSIONS..YEAH YEAH .. YEAH MORE EXPLOSIONS!!!!! OH YEAHH OH GOD YEAH THATS SO GOOD RIGHT THERE RIGHTTHERE OH ****! /EXPLODES

-A day in the editing room with Michael Bay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hold my hands up - I went to the third: I said I wouldn't, I knew I shouldn't, but there it is. I did & now my hands are dirty but I take some responsibility for the creation of a fourth. This time I won't. Promise :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I don't get it most people here say they hated the first three and can't see why they are making a 4th, but if you hated the first two why go to the third? Now you will all go see the 4th and complain about that too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

donalg1 wrote: »
    I don't get it most people here say they hated the first three and can't see why they are making a 4th, but if you hated the first two why go to the third? Now you will all go see the 4th and complain about that too!
    In my case, it was a mixture of peer pressure, alcohol and a sense that there was fook-all else to do that evening *shrug* By no means a good excuse, but there it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume "reboot" in this instance means that Shia doesn't want to do it.

How would anyone know they hated them if they didn't watch them? Its a vicious circle.

Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me
    Fool me a third time, uhhhh... ... nurse! The medicines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

How would anyone know they hated them if they didn't watch them? Its a vicious circle.

But surely if you hated the first two you could probably figure you aren't going to like the third, unless you subconciously liked the first two!!

I for one didnt mind them, hardly a work of art or riveting keep you thinking piece of cinema but they basically do what it says on the tin, stuff gets blown up, poor dialogue, one liners and chase scenes perfect hangover tv.

But surely if you hated the first two you could probably figure you aren't going to like the third, unless you subconciously liked the first two!!

I for one didnt mind them, hardly a work of art or riveting keep you thinking piece of cinema but they basically do what it says on the tin, stuff gets blown up, poor dialogue, one liners and chase scenes perfect hangover tv.

Liked the first one, despised he second one. THird one was awful too but not as bad as the 2nd. I had read some positive reviews and I loved Transformers when I was a kid. Nothing subconcious going on, no reason to think I'll dislike the third because I disliked the 2nd, they're two seperate films, and there's always hope it might turn out to be good against all odds. I was wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When it comes to blockbusters, the expected quality of the film has very little to do with why people go to see it. Mainstream cinemagoing is first and foremost a social activity. People go to see a film because their friends are going and they don't want to be left out. I almost ended up going to see TF3 for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Don't ask me - I only saw the first one on someone else's DVD, so the franchise has not made a penny off me. As for the others ... I don't hate them. I just have no interest in seeing them.

If you're going to ask "how can you discount a film you haven't seen?", the answer is a) you could say that about every film ever made, and you can't watch them all; b) that's why reviewers get paid to watch films and review them for posterity: so we don't have to.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement