Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who did you tip last night?.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Fair enough, do you ever go to the same restaurant more than once? Or many times?

Yes to both. Why, should I feel ashamed to go back to a restaurant because I did'nt tip someone when I was there before??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Fair enough, do you ever go to the same restaurant more than once? Or many times?

What's that got to do with it?

If everyone refused to tip, then restaurant owners would be forced to pay their staff properly.

Why the hell should the public be forced to subsidise the profits of tight-wad profiteering business owners? WTF? This makes no sense. By buying into the whole "tipping" scam you are actively colluding in a con-job which takes money from your pocket to artificially inflate the profit margin of unscrupulous fat-cats, and artificially depress wages for everyone working in service industries.

It's feckin lunacy. Wise the f*** up and refuse to tip. Tipping is like turkeys voting for Christmas. It's stupid and only harms minimum-wage workers.

Down with tipping! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I tip in America because the staff in restaurants make feck all and they do a great job most of the time. I will not tip anyone in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

*Sigh* Why do so many people not understand that the quality of the overall taxi service has improved?
    Before deregulation you could be waiting four hours for a taxi, and you paid ten euro
    After deregulation, you now wait about half hour at most, if you go to the right places, and you spend twenty euro.

The taxi service you are recieving has improved. I don't know about you, but I would be willing to pay a tenner not to have to wait several hours. So, in my mind, its completely fair. If you prefered it the way it was then grand.

That arguement doesnt make any sense to me, what does the number of taxis on the road have to do with the quality of service? You get the same service, theres just more people offering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ruu wrote: »
    I tip in America because the staff in restaurants make feck all and they do a great job most of the time. I will not tip anyone in Ireland.

Why do they make feck all?

Is that your problem???

You are being manipulated there son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Whats the average wage of taxi drivers in Dublin 30-40k, enough said.

Tipping for someone to keep there car clean ? lol, that and sat navs mean it's a brainless job requiring very little 'skill'.

I was in a bar in Myrtle Beach back in March,had a few beers after a round of golf.

Spent at least $100 bucks on beer and when we left some fat slug behind the bar RANG A BELL. I trundled back and said"What's that bell for son?"
    "You didn't leave a tip and I will keep ringing this bell until you do"

"Ring that bell again son,and I'll put a fcukin cap in your fat ass!!"*

He shut the fcuk up after that .

*I had no intention of doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I was in a bar in Myrtle Beach back in March,had a few beers after a round of golf.

Spent at least $100 bucks on beer and when we left some fat slug behind the bar RANG A BELL. I trundled back and said"What's that bell for son?"
    "You didn't leave a tip and I will keep ringing this bell until you do"

"Ring that bell again son,and I'll put a fcukin cap in your fat ass!!"*

He shut the fcuk up after that .

*I had no intention of doing that

mmm, If you said that stateside, they'd call the feds in a heartbeat.

With that said, tipping barmen in the U.S? WTF is that about? They must be serving 30 - 200+ drinks an hour
    depending on how busy the bar/club is. And you are expected to tip them a dollar per drink? It is their job to
    serve drinks, are they trying to make bartending one of the highest paid jobs on the planet?

Exactly... We were tonking back the stuff a a far higher rate than normal and the gimp still expected a tip.Fat bearded b0llox!!

He could have called the Feds but we were well up 17 before he got near a phone. Its crazy over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

my tip last night was South Africa and i was right!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

What are you people?Jewish or broke?

Neither--sensible is the word I prefer to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

rb_ie wrote: »
    What are you people?Jewish or broke?
    What do you mean by that?

With regards to America and Ireland, the difference is that waiting staff in America do not make very much and rely on their tips to get their wages to a half decent level.
    Waiting staff in Ireland make minimum wage. Well they're entitled to it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've worked as a cashier in a bank for a summer.
    I was brilliant at my job and always a smile on my face :)

I dealt with taxi drivers and the owners of the local chippers and pizzeria every week as they lodged their takings and came for bags of change.

I provided an excellent service but guess what....

None of these rich f*****rs ever, ever gave me a tip! And belive me, I earned feck all.
    Now I don't expect a tip and I don't see why I should give them one.

It's the owners job to pay their staff so down with tipping culture.

There it is in a nutshell!

You worked for a BANK

You earned FCUK ALL.

Remind me of the profits banks earn per annum????

There's where the problem lies friends.... don't be sucked in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I didn't tip anyone. If I go to a restaurant I'll tip 10% unless they were dire, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Tipped a toilet guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzJ7vF0Uvo8
    (Watch from 3:37 to 4:50)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I'll never ever tip a toilet guy. While I usually feel really bad walking past them, clubs should never employ someone to do that. It's sick.

As for tipping, it's getting ridiculous at this stage. People tip in the US due to the crap wages, where the waiting staff depend on tips. Here, floor staff generally earn at least minimum wage, the same as the guy working in the local shop, who does his job equally well, but never gets tipped.

The only time I've ever felt a taxi driver deserved a tip, was coming back from town (locked) in the back of a taxi van with a few friends. He'd blacked out the windows, put in a disco ball and lights, and had music banging all the way home. It was class! In general, taxi drivers bring you from a to b, sometimes politely, sometimes not, why should I pay them more for doing that?

I knew this country had lost the run of itself when those "Toilet Attendants" appeared in every pub and club in Dublin. Thank feck it's still quite rare outside the Pale.

Sick. Sick. Sick.

Boycott all establishments that employ them. Racist, smug, pretentious, exploitative, unbelievably crass, a smack in the mouth to generations of our ancestors and in every possible way just WRONG.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dalfiatach wrote: »
    I knew this country had lost the run of itself when those "Toilet Attendants" appeared in every pub and club in Dublin. Thank feck it's still quite rare outside the Pale.

Sick. Sick. Sick.

Boycott all establishments that employ them. Racist, smug, pretentious, exploitative, unbelievably crass, a smack in the mouth to generations of our ancestors and in every possible way just WRONG.
    Why so?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The server at the javahouse. Dropped a few coins in her "Starving Student" jar.

Terry wrote: »
    Why so?

Meh. Who de feck do we think we are anyway? We get a bit of cash and one of the first things we do as a society to prove how loaded we are is, effectively, employ some black people to wipe our arses for us for a few pennies a night.

Generations of our ancestors had to emigrate and work in menial dirty jobs being treated like crap all over the planet just to survive. The minute we have two shekels to rub together, we turn around and become a bunch of smug condescending arseholes. You'd think we'd have a bit more self-respect and a bit more cop-on.

Feckin Toilet Attendants and McMansions everywhere. The mad dash to become a nation of landlords. Seems to me like for far too many Irish people our problem with the Brits wasn't the fact of oppression, exploitation and downright thievery on a massive global scale.

Our problem was the fact we weren't getting a slice of the action!

Mutha's Childer.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

I tip in restaurants, if and only if, the service is good! I never tip if service charge is included.

I don't tip taxi drivers, toilet attendants, hairdressers, beauticians etc.

I have to agree that tipping is getting out of hand. You can't set foot in somewhere without having to tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I agree. These folk annoy the fcuk out of me. But you know the owner of the bar is as bad for having the person there in the first place. It's unreal that you can't go for a p1ss in peace without someone expecting a quid or two for handing you a paper towel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

Cab driver last night on my way to town... really nice man
    Last year in New York from JFK to Manhattan- fare $45 and i gave your man $50 and guess what? He was still looking for a tip?:confused:

stepbar wrote: »
    I agree. These folk annoy the fcuk out of me. But you know the owner of the bar is as bad for having the person there in the first place. It's unreal that you can't go for a p1ss in peace without someone expecting a quid or two for handing you a paper towel.

but you see these toilets are clean this days... Wherever there is an attendant you find near-clean toilets and toilet roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

but you see these toilets are clean this days... Wherever there is an attendant you find near-clean toilets and toilet roll.

So? I expect toilets to be clean anyway. If you are a patron of an establishment and have shelled out some out your hard-earned cash, its not much to expect. Why should there be someone waiting with their hand out??

gyppo wrote: »
    So? I expect toilets to be clean anyway. If you are a patron of an establishment and have shelled out some out your hard-earned cash, its not much to expect. Why should there be someone waiting with their hand out??

Fair enough... But i was at an establishment on Leeson st and the ladies was a KIP
    No exaggeration the stink was bad and the managers were too busy serving alcohol to people to notice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Meh. Who de feck do we think we are anyway? We get a bit of cash and one of the first things we do as a society to prove how loaded we are is, effectively, employ some black people to wipe our arses for us for a few pennies a night.

Generations of our ancestors had to emigrate and work in menial dirty jobs being treated like crap all over the planet just to survive. The minute we have two shekels to rub together, we turn around and become a bunch of smug condescending arseholes. You'd think we'd have a bit more self-respect and a bit more cop-on.

Feckin Toilet Attendants and McMansions everywhere. The mad dash to become a nation of landlords. Seems to me like for far too many Irish people our problem with the Brits wasn't the fact of oppression, exploitation and downright thievery on a massive global scale.

Our problem was the fact we weren't getting a slice of the action!

Mutha's Childer.
    I don't think they're employed though, they work for free, and make their money on the tips or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

zabbo wrote: »
    I don't think they're employed though, they work for free, and make their money on the tips or something.

Hmm, black people working for no pay...yeah, yeah I think I've heard of that before...somewhere around America, wasn't it?

Advertisement