Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who did you tip last night?.

Options
  • 21-10-2007 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I take it most of us went out last night, on the beer, for a meal or to catch a show.

So who did you tip, how much, why and who didn't downright deserve one?.

For me it was two Taxi drivers, two sounds lads with nice clean cars. Both fares were just over €9- so I tipped the change plus two euro.

Threw some change into one of those charity jar's in two pubs.

Got an Indian on the way home so didn't have to tip waiting staff.

The first taxi last night (we got three in total) was a w@nker, dirty car. Was pissed off we were only going around the corner, so I waited for all my change.

Normally for good service I'll tip 15%, but I never feel obliged to tip but I think it does encourage a better service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

Some old accordion player on Watergate St. in Navan last night. Jesus I was hammered. Me and my mate danced for ages to the tune. Then we followed him to 2 other places where he went to play and danced there, and then tipped him a bit more. Thinking back, Id say I looked like an awful eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

- bo - wrote: »
    Some old accordion player on Watergate St. in Navan last night. Jesus I was hammered. Me and my mate danced for ages to the tune. Then we followed him to 2 other places where he went to play and danced there, and then tipped him a bit more. Thinking back, Id say I looked like an awful eejit.

Probably, but never regret anything that made you smile/happy!.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

Everyone was coming out from the nightclub across the road and just standing there watching us, a couple of people joined in :o

Oh yeah and a texi driver, I tipped her about 20 cents. Stood there in the freezing cold on me own outside Navan Shopping Centre, out of me tree, for about an hour waiting for one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

no no no no

dont bring that tipping crap culture here ! Yeah sure a euro here and there but it all adds up. A taxi is ment to be clean in the first place, and ur tipping for that?! Oh and if a taxi is dirty COMPLIAN!

All your doing is tipping for standard services, but hey u wanna waste ur money go ahead

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I agree with magick. Tipping people for standard service is a load of bollocks. If people go out of their way and do more than they should then tip them if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Last Wednesday night i got a Taxi from Liffey Valley S.C to Donaghmede, Sound driver, fare was €31, handed him €50, asked for €5 back.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So who did you tip,
    Taxi man

how much,
    €2 or somethin

why and
    Cos I'd feel mean if I didn't.

who didn't downright deserve one?.
    You

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

magick wrote: »
    no no no no

dont bring that tipping crap culture here ! Yeah sure a euro here and there but it all adds up. A taxi is ment to be clean in the first place, and ur tipping for that?! Oh and if a taxi is dirty COMPLIAN!

All your doing is tipping for standard services, but hey u wanna waste ur money go ahead

+1

This "tipping" bollocks is just the newest way to gouge the punters. And as usual, the sheeple mindless herd collude with the rip-off by convincing themselves that "tipping" is a mark of mature sophistication, shows how rich you are, and publicly displays your ultimate cool.

Or some such vacuous airhead twaddle :rolleyes:

"Tipping" is for utter morons with far more money than sense. Pay extra for basic services (which are already wildly overpriced to begin with!) just because it's cool this week? F*** that.

We are totally ripped off in this country as it is.
    My taxi home has gone from 10 to 20 euro in the last two years alone.
    Why the hell tip them for that pleasure!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Last Wednesday night i got a Taxi from Liffey Valley S.C to Donaghmede, Sound driver, fare was €31, handed him €50, asked for €5 back.

-VB-

Amazing! :rolleyes::confused:

Care to explain why you gave a near 50% tip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Amazing! :rolleyes::confused:

Care to explain why you gave a near 50% tip?

He's a soon-to-be-taxi driver. It's mind pish!!1!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54052714&postcount=136
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52588119&postcount=24

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

A Guiness, Jameson + coke and 2 Jager cost 24.60.
    Soon the people getting tipped will earn more than the people tipping them!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Karoma wrote: »
    You know that function on the bottom of the drop down menu? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Moonbaby wrote: »
    We are totally ripped off in this country as it is.
    My taxi home has gone from 10 to 20 euro in the last two years alone.
    Why the hell tip them for that pleasure!

*Sigh* Why do so many people not understand that the quality of the overall taxi service has improved?
    Before deregulation you could be waiting four hours for a taxi, and you paid ten euro
    After deregulation, you now wait about half hour at most, if you go to the right places, and you spend twenty euro.

The taxi service you are recieving has improved. I don't know about you, but I would be willing to pay a tenner not to have to wait several hours. So, in my mind, its completely fair. If you prefered it the way it was then grand.

*Sigh* Why do so many people not understand that the quality of the overall taxi service has improved?
    Before deregulation you could be waiting four hours for a taxi, and you paid ten euro
    After deregulation, you now wait about half hour at most, if you go to the right places, and you spend twenty euro.

The taxi service you are recieving has improved. I don't know about you, but I would be willing to pay a tenner not to have to wait several hours. So, in my mind, its completely fair. If you prefered it the way it was then grand.

Fair point, it has improved.

But didn't most if not all Taxi drivers oppose the deregulation in a big way, or am I wide of the mark??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The way I figure is that I never get tipped and I probably work for less than most of 'em so f*ck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I agree with magick. Tipping people for standard service is a load of bollocks. If people go out of their way and do more than they should then tip them if you like.

Agreed, I don't want people trying to be my best friend to get a tip, nor do want to be regarded as mean if I don't. Do your job, the may mean being polite, keeping your workplace clean, arriving on time, etc. What's wrong with people expecting expecting a reward for doing the least that should be expected of them.

The la-de-da middle class culture of feeling obligated to tip the poor under classes for doing those dreadful jobs gets right up my nose too.

I don't live in Dublin, that isn't at all relevant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

But didn't most if not all Taxi drivers oppose the deregulation in a big way, or am I wide of the mark??

Most of the taxi drivers who were about then, not the ones about now.
    Also, most of the old drivers seem to think it was ok now. What used to happen was that one person would own about ten licenses, and then lease them daily to other drivers. These bigwigs were the big losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

*sigh*

Yer arse.

The quantity of taxis on the roads has increased, hence lower waiting times.

The quality of service is a whole other matter.

This seems to be a common confusion in the befuddled minds of our civil service and political parasite class.

Besides, waiting times have got nothing to do with how much a run should actually cost, with or without the damn "tip". Please explain the lunatic logic that because there are far more taxis available, thus each taxi is under less pressure, this means every taximan is magically entitled to a 100% pay rise?

Yer talking sh1te, to be blunt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You think waiting 30 minutes on a taxi is a good service. Fair enough it's better than waiting hours and walking miles. But it's still attrocious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I tip people when I'm employed.
    If I'm unemployed, then I don't tip anyone.
    They have a job and I don't, so I need the money more.

I tip people who handle my food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The way I look at it ,I pay for a service.

If a persons employer is paying low wages,then I figure he/she had a profit margin built in,and that increases relative to the wages paid.
    Why the fcuk should I subsidise an already profitable venture by tipping.

People are totally stupid to get into that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

gave the taxi driver a nice tip for picking me and the ladyfriend up despite the state we were in on dame street...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Speaking of taxis, does anybody know a really nice taxi driver from budapest living in ballyfermot?! I left my camera on his back seat and have no idea how i could get it back! I know its gone but it has 400+ pics of my 21st birthday on the memory card in it! Sickened! :(

Im a student and one night we got a taxi from Dame St over to a place near Smithfield. We only had the address and didnt know where we were going. At 11.50 on the meter, he stopped the car (and meter) and told us he'd leave the fare at 10 euro but had to look at a map etc. We thought that was so nice of him. Then we spotted the house we wanted to go to on the right, but we were in the left hand lane, so he cut off the car behind him...it was the Gardai! :eek: They just cautioned him and he laughed about it after with us. We left him 15 euro because we'd such a laugh! Would have left more only we didnt have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Dalfiatach wrote: »
    +1

This "tipping" bollocks is just the newest way to gouge the punters. And as usual, the sheeple mindless herd collude with the rip-off by convincing themselves that "tipping" is a mark of mature sophistication, shows how rich you are, and publicly displays your ultimate cool.

Or some such vacuous airhead twaddle :rolleyes:

"Tipping" is for utter morons with far more money than sense. Pay extra for basic services (which are already wildly overpriced to begin with!) just because it's cool this week? F*** that.

Buy that man a pint. Nail on head.

Here's a tip from a Gyppo. Keep your money in your f**king pocket, because some day you might be damn glad of it, rather than acting the f**king big knob.

gyppo wrote: »
    Buy that man a pint. Nail on head.

Here's a tip from a Gyppo. Keep your money in your f**king pocket, because some day you might be damn glad of it, rather than acting the f**king big knob.

What about restaurants? Do you tip in restaurants?

Who does, who doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

What about restaurants? Do you tip in restaurants?

Who does, who doesn't?

No. I pay whatever the bill is - I don't see why I should be expected to subsidize someones wages as well.

• Advertisement

gyppo wrote: »
    No. I pay whatever the bill is - I don't see why I should be expected to subsidize someones wages as well.

Fair enough, do you ever go to the same restaurant more than once? Or many times?

Advertisement