Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mregan22

KirstyK wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I need to get my masters degree attestation from the UK for my school in Al Ain before the end of the month.
    The Irish degree's appear to be only costing €40 and an additional cost for courier, but with this gang they school suggested in the UK they are charging me almost £300 and that's a 2 weeks service.

does anyone know of any similar situations or if you can go directly to the embassy in London for them to do it for you?

Best,
    Kirsty

hi Kristy sorry im not too sure what's the situation in the uk but where did you find out it cost 40euro in Ireland for a degree attestation?? Or can anyone else help in how i go about this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 theluckyirish

Hey guys,
    I'm currently out here in the Middle East working for Sabis. If there is anything you want to know or have any questions give me a shout. :)

Hey guys,
    I'm currently out here in the Middle East working for Sabis. If there is anything you want to know or have any questions give me a shout. :)

how did you go about getting a degree attestation? And where u situated? did it take long hear where u were going?

mregan22 wrote: »
    how did you go about getting a degree attestation? And where u situated? did it take long hear where u were going?

Hey so ya I found it confusing as well when I was getting it done. It depends on weather you have your degree or if it is pending.

If you haven't gotten your degree you you have to get your offical transcripts from you college and get them stamped in the Department of Foreign Affairs, (passport office). There is one in Cork and the other is in Dublin. I then took my transcripts to the Arab- Irish Chamber of Commerce and they took care of the rest. But it depends on what country you are going to. The country I'm in, doesn't have a consulate in Ireland so I had to go to the Arab-Irish Chamber of Commerce. And if you do have your degree it has to be in English when you get your stamps by both places [NUI degrees are in Latin so they have to be translated it cost €50].

Hey so ya I found it confusing as well when I was getting it done. It depends on weather you have your degree or if it is pending.

If you haven't gotten your degree you you have to get your offical transcripts from you college and get them stamped in the Department of Foreign Affairs, (passport office). There is one in Cork and the other is in Dublin. I then took my transcripts to the Arab- Irish Chamber of Commerce and they took care of the rest. But it depends on what country you are going to. The country I'm in, doesn't have a consulate in Ireland so I had to go to the Arab-Irish Chamber of Commerce. And if you do have your degree it has to be in English when you get your stamps by both places [NUI degrees are in Latin so they have to be translated it cost €50].

thanks .. No I have my degree already and its in English so would i have to go to the arab Irish chamber of commerce?

• Advertisement

mregan22 wrote: »
    thanks .. No I have my degree already and its in English so would i have to go to the arab Irish chamber of commerce?

Honestly it is a hassle free way of getting it stamped and it cost something like €118 euro to get your degree stamped there and it cost about €80 to get it stamped in the Department of foreign affairs. You have to get the degree stamped by the embassy which of the country you are going to, but if you go to the Arab irish chamber of commerce they arrange all of this for you and they will courier it back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sabissucks

Mod. Snip

A wee bit too many allegations there for anyone to handle (considering mods are volunteers).

Paragraphs would have helped too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Roismagosh

I am being placed in Sharjah, I've emailed most of my documents onto the school. I'm required to provide both degrees translated at 100 euro and my transcripts of my bachelor and diploma years which is another 20. I asked about needing them attested and was told to just scan as is when I get them. I may email Mazen and see do I need to get them attested, I'm hoping not! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Boots12

Hi Guys

Just wondering, is it too late to apply for sabis now for dubai or abu dabai to start in august/sept?

with final year porjects,havnt had a chance to apply and now im afraid im too late.

appreciate any advice.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

Boots12 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Just wondering, is it too late to apply for sabis now for dubai or abu dabai to start in august/sept?

with final year porjects,havnt had a chance to apply and now im afraid im too late.

appreciate any advice.

thanks

It's worth a try, it's not guaranteed that you will get Dubai or Abu Dhabi, but there are other schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Roismagosh

Hi Guys

appreciate any advice.

thanks

In my group interview I was told Dubai wasn't being offered. I guess they were full, I put Abu Dhabi as first choice but ended up with Sharjah. There are loads of other schools to like Al Ain, Oman, Ruwais, Khalifa. Do a bit of research but email them I know last week application forms were emailed out to people who applied now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

KirstyK wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I need to get my masters degree attestation from the UK for my school in Al Ain before the end of the month.
    The Irish degree's appear to be only costing €40 and an additional cost for courier, but with this gang they school suggested in the UK they are charging me almost £300 and that's a 2 weeks service.

does anyone know of any similar situations or if you can go directly to the embassy in London for them to do it for you?

Best,
    Kirsty

Hi my degree was from Northern Ireland so I also had to send it to the UK a few years ago.

The cheapest way I could find was sending my degree certs to DFO in the UK and included instructions for them to send it to the Embassy in London and then they posted it back to me. I had to get it stamped and signed by the Uni and a solicitor before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Hi Guys

appreciate any advice.

thanks

I think it's fine, I applied for around 15 jobs earlier in the month. All of the positions close in late August so I presume that the work starts in September sometime. Currently I'm waiting to hear anything back at all, no news so far unfortunately...

But probably they're waiting to see who applies, I don't expect a reply until at least mid summer to be honest. Is there any other similar programs out there in which you can apply for jobs like these? I'm really eager to start work abroad this Fall. I have a TEFL, a degree and masters in music. Thanks in advance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ecred

I just had my second phone interview with Tarek, for Maths positions. He said next step is a technical interview - should hear about this over next few days - i have to be ready with pen and paper on the phone and answer maths questions!!! To assess what levels I can teach. Anyone else have this and what did you get asked????? yikes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 edaj22

Hi, I applied to SABIS this day last week. They confirmed they received my application form, but I have not heard anything back from them yet. A friend of mine applied on the same day, and she was offered a Skype interview straight away. She was successful last year, but unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances she couldn't take the position. Is this the reason she was offered a Skype interview the same day? Should I be worried my application isn't sufficient? How long do they usually take to get back to you? and should I email again to clarify just how much I really want to join their school network?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lauretta86

I just got offered a job in Oman but a friend who lived in the east advised me not to go there as she said there's nothing to really do and I could get very lonely especially as all my friends and family are in UAE!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

lauretta86 wrote: »
    I just got offered a job in Oman but a friend who lived in the east advised me not to go there as she said there's nothing to really do and I could get very lonely especially as all my friends and family are in UAE!

What will you do if you stay at home? TBH, I'd try it out for a year, if it's really awful you can always ask for a transfer after that. Anyone I know who's taught there, liked it.

Did everyone get their schools? Happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lauretta86

What will you do if you stay at home? TBH, I'd try it out for a year, if it's really awful you can always ask for a transfer after that. Anyone I know who's taught there, liked it.

Did everyone get their schools? Happy?
    I already turned it down cause I'd prefer to stay at home with my bf rather than go to a country where I don't know anyone. All my friends in the east told me to not go unless I was with someone as there is nothing really to do and a year is a long time if you hate it. One of my friends only lasted two months in Oman and came home. I told them anyways I only wanted UAE so I'm surprised they offered me Oman.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MissSilly

Same thing happened to me lauretta. They have given me a contract for Oman. I have 2 days to decide but Im definitely going to say no. My friends in Abu Dhabi said Oman isnt great. Going to email back and ask if another position arises in Abu Dhabi to contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

All these jobs you have all applied for and gotten interviews etc... When was the closing date for applications? The ones I've applied for are late August, but they start in September, when should I hope to get replies?

• Advertisement

Does any one know what date mid August new recruits usually fly out for the two week induction?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Hi,

I would like to know if I were to gain my NQT in UAE/Dubai and subsequently worked as a Primary school teacher in an international school in UAE/Dubai for say 2 to 3 years and returned to Ireland, What salary point would I start off on?

Would my 2 to 3 years teaching experience be counted into moving me up the incremental salary scale? It would seem only fair that it would?

I have an Irish B.Ed degree with the Certificate in Religious Studies.

Thank you in advance,

Le Meas!

ecred wrote: »
    Does any one know what date mid August new recruits usually fly out for the two week induction?

Hi,
    It will prob be in or around the week of the 13th of August. We were late coming out last year but I think around that time you should be flying out.

Hi,
    It will prob be in or around the week of the 13th of August. We were late coming out last year but I think around that time you should be flying out.

Thanks for that. On the general information booklet it says need to be there by August 20th so I just wondered how accurate that was, as it seemed a little late to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AniJ

Hi,

I'm thinking if applying for a teaching post in the Middle East for a year or so and was wondering if anyone has any advice or info they would like to share about working for SABIS careers.
    Are they reliable? What is the pay like? The info on the site is not that detailed.

Any info about living there too would be great! Are there countries/cities in the Middle East are safest for a women to live/work in? What is the public dress code like? Is it cool to be living with a partner you're not married to? Sorry, if that all sounds naïve. Hope you can help.

Ta,

Ani

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hey guys,

How does it compare money wise and work wise. I'm a female PE and Maths teacher, and I'm having a look at teaching in the Middle East next year as in 15/16. Have a contract with my school in the UK for the next year, so going to stay until next year anyway, but if money is better, I'd consider moving, hence the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bunnyboiler06

Hey guys,

Hi,

I was offered a position in Sharjah and was wondering would you have any info about the area. i have read up that it is one of the strictest area you can be???

Regards in advance

Hi,

I was offered a position in Sharjah and was wondering would you have any info about the area. i have read up that it is one of the strictest area you can be???

Regards in advance

I don't really know that much about Sharjah to be honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PeachLoops

Has anyone else been placed in Doha? I have literally heard of no one going here at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bunnyboiler06

Had to decline the offer i got due to family reasons after discussing it with the parents...will this have an effect on things if i applied next year????

Advertisement