Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

dlofnep wrote: »
    Do you understand what "the [sic]harmonization[/sic] of corporation tax at 12.5% across the island" means?

American spellings now ? Are they that anti-English ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    dlofnep, do you not think it is strange that on the web page you linked they say harmonization of corporation tax, however when you open their manifesto (link on that page) there is no mention of it all in the manifesto?

No Tony, I don't consider it strange at all. Their policy is 12.5% island-wide. I'm not sure how clearer I can be on this. If you believe it is anything other than what I have cited, and what it's website states - then please, provide me the figure and source.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

You've convinced me Liam. Sinn Féin must be anti-English. They used a z instead of an s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Most spell checkers are set by default on "American" english, and some are quite awkward to change...patricularily when no-one can find the poxy installation cd.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

No Tony, I don't consider it strange at all. Their policy is 12.5% island-wide. I'm not sure how clearer I can be on this. If you believe it is anything other than what I have cited, and what it's website states - then please, provide me the figure and source.
    The manifesto does not mention it! Open it up an read it if you want, the economy section starts at page 43. or do a search of the entire pdf and you will see not one mention of corporation tax. I always assumed a manifesto was a public declaration of principles and intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Yes, clear evidence.

What part of "all-island" harmonised tax rate of 12.5% do you not understand? It is an "all-Ireland" policy. You seem to have severe problems in understanding that Sinn Féin operates on a 32 county basis.

I've already provided you with a link to their economic policies. Their budget submission, amongst other documents are available. I'm going to place you on ignore you continue to be purposefully ignorant.

In summary, just so I don't have to repeat myself.
    • They do have a corp tax policy. It is 12.5% island-wide. (This means, across the entire Island.)
    • Their economic policies are available on their website, which I have previously linked.

If I am forced to repeat myself again, you will be placed on ignore.
    You seem to have severe problems in understanding that Sinn Féin operates on a 32 county basis

maybe we should say they operate on a 32 inner city basis ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Show me proof that Adams was a leader of the PIRA.

:D Matt Baggot couldn't do that.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    The manifesto does not mention it! Open it up an read it if you want, the economy section starts at page 43. or do a search of the entire pdf and you will see not one mention of corporation tax. I always assumed a manifesto was a public declaration of principles and intentions.

Tony, Tony, Tony...

Their policy is 12.5% island-wide. Give your local branch a call and ask them if you want clarification. Their website states it quite clearly. I'm not sure what we're discussing. The paper in question does infact discuss harmonisation. The website lists it's harmonised tax rate.

I really don't want to go around in circles on this. Please don't make me. There are only so many hours in the day. Thank you.

You've convinced me Liam. Sinn Féin must be anti-English. They used a z instead of an s.

Funny how you replied to that post and not to the one preceding it.

Funny how you replied to that post and not to the one preceding it.

Not really. I was unsure if you were attempting to make a point, or have a whinge.

I think we're both aware that unification isn't going to happen over the next few years, so I'm unsure as to what the bail-out has to do with it in a real-world scenario. However, Sinn Féin opposes the bail out - just as a matter of interest.
    They are running for election and looking for votes in this country, though.

If they don't recognise that, then why should we recognise them ?

I can't make heads nor tails out of what you're trying to say here.

• Advertisement

I think we're both aware that unification isn't going to happen over the next few years, so I'm unsure as to what the bail-out has to do with it in a real-world scenario.

You are suggesting that SF are basing their policies for this country based on a unified "All Ireland" approach.

I was just curious whether they were equally basing their policies in part of the UK based on a unified "All Ireland" approach.
    However, Sinn Féin opposes the bail out - just as a matter of interest.

That's irrelevant. NAMA is up and running, and - thanks to FF - the billions already poured into Anglo will have to be raised over the next while, regardless of whoever is in power.

But if SF were being consistent, the people of Northern Ireland (who are currently shielded from the bailouts) will have to pay.

And I was just wondering whether SF have told them that via their "all-island" policy documents.
    I can't make heads nor tails out of what you're trying to say here.

If SF can't / don't bother to think in terms of the country and what it needs (which might be different to the UK) then there's no reason for us to think they are even remotely suitable or qualified for the job.

Another example : will SF propose that abortion be available in the new "all-island", or will their manifesto tell those in the north that they can't have it anymore ? Will "one size fits all" do for that topic ?

You're conflating two separate issues. Current policies in both states, and policies which are required for the transition of the unification process when it occurs.

Take corporation tax for example. In order to remove the complete dependency on public sector in the north, Sinn Féin have proposed reducing the corp tax from 28% (ish) to 12.5% to entice more business, and give local businesses a chance to thrive. If Ireland was to unify in 20 years for example - the infrastructure would already need to be in place to make the transition seemless.

The issue of current policies, or current context is one that is separate for how the management of unification can occur. The only thing I can suggest for you Liam is to attend any of the number of Irish unification conferences, where you can pose the question (or any further) questions to them in regards to the establishment of a unified state, and how certain issues will be overcome.

I think your concerns are valid - but you're unable to separate them in context. Highlighting Nama to the average punter in the North isn't really valid, when unification isn't (at least in my eyes) in sight for another 20 years at least. it would be inappropriate, and irrelevant within the current timeframe & context.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

For me, i wouldn't vote for them because of their links to the PIRA and other criminal activities in the north.

As an aside I don't think that their policies make much sense.

BTW, where does the money to pay all their community activists come from?

lion_bar wrote: »
    For me, i wouldn't vote for them because of their links to the PIRA and other criminal activities in the north.

The PIRA is decommissioned. What current activities are you referring to?

Activists don't get paid. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Glenshane Pass

Anyone who says Sinn Fein is 'marxist' really don't know the meaning of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Irish-americans contributing to "the cause" and the £20+million from the Northern Bank raid has probably gone a long way towards funding Sinn Feins activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Irish-americans contributing to "the cause" and the £20+million from the Northern Bank raid has probably gone a long way towards funding Sinn Feins activities.

Another beautiful red herring from yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Glenshane Pass

Yeh, in some fantasy world that is.

Do you know what happened the money from the Northern Bank?
    I challenge you to research it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Another beautiful red herring from yourself.

that guy asked a question, I answered it. Whether you think its a red herring or not is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I vote sinn fein because im a republican from the north and they have brought us to this point, while others sit on the fence.

But more importantly. They are trying to get Kildare County Council to fix our road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

i love the way very SF thread mentioned, the same 5 or 6 posters jumped in with the same claims to defame them and get proven wrong everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im over the whole used to be terrorists thing now that they condemn any terrorist attacks be the new IRA. I hate them now because of their crazed far left agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I vote sinn fein because im a republican from the north and they have brought us to this point, while others sit on the fence.

But more importantly. They are trying to get Kildare County Council to fix our road

Ironic, considering that not so long ago the IRA used to do this . . .
    bombpot.jpg

Camelot wrote: »
    Ironic, considering that not so long ago the IRA used to do this . . .
    bombpot.jpg

They used to post "Image hosted by Tripod" images? Those monsters! ;)

Pauleta wrote: »
    I hate them now because of their crazed far left agenda.

Curious that you refer to their political outlook as an "agenda". Do you refer to centrist parties, or right wing parties as having a "crazed centrist" or "crazed right wing" agenda? Something tells me probably not.

What crazed "left agenda" policies invoke emotions of hate from you, out of matter of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So long as they involve themselves with murdering, thieving, harrassment, intimidation and scum they won't get a vote from me. Thugs from the top down.

prinz wrote: »
    So long as they involve themselves with murdering, thieving, harrassment, intimidation and scum they won't get a vote from me. Thugs from the top down.

Examples of all of the above please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Examples of all of the above please?

Martin Ferris alone fulfills most of it. Thieving, smuggling, arms, explosives..

Involvement with killers of our national legitimate police force:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0805/breaking14.html

Murder and scumbaggery:
    http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/esther-uzell-justice-for-joe-rafferty-dublin-south-east-2007/

Intimidation:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/killer-gang-link-to-attack-on-candidate-1756659.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

prinz wrote: »

You could apply all of the to Fianna Fail up until the mid-ninties. "We must tighten our belts" etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Bombing shopping centers and massacring bus loads of workers wasnt the main old IRA tactic. The old IRA actually fought soldier to soldier.

never heard of the Dunmanway massacre then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement