Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

nompere wrote: »
    That's not actually what happened. After the couple of minutes each side in a very hot pan, the steaks were put to one side, and later given 6 minutes in a 200 degree oven. Then she cut them and they were pink. Raw steak tends to be a purple colour inside (hence "bleu", which is how I like it) - hers looked very much medium rare.
    Ah but she cooked the steak hours earlier and just reheated them, not cooked them anymore. Sorry Mary can I have a sandwich instead !
    These TV Chefs honestly believe they are infallible especially that git on Masterchef Ireland, Dylan I think, who went bust ! What happened there Dylan ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

finix wrote: »
    These TV Chefs honestly believe they are infallible especially that git on Masterchef Ireland, Dylan I think, who went bust ! What happened there Dylan ?

I'm not a huge fan of his but he does currently own 2 massively successful restaurants in Dublin (Fade Street Social & The Rustic Stone) as well as being on the telly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

I'm not a huge fan of his but he does currently own 2 massively successful restaurants in Dublin (Fade Street Social & The Rustic Stone) as well as being on the telly.
    Well I wish him well but I smell another Conrad Gallagher type ending but...I don't mind being wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

As rare as a Penny Black!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

After always ordering well done, moved down to medium well, and been at medium for a good few years.

Cant get down any further, even after ordering a medium in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

markesmith wrote: »
    As rare as a Penny Black!

Not especially rare then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    After always ordering well done, moved down to medium well, and been at medium for a good few years.

Cant get down any further, even after ordering a medium in France.

Do you see it as defining your social class or something. Is clear from your post that you don't fancy raw meat yet you are almost wishing you could manage to stomach it.
    There is alot of nonsense associated with stake and people eating it more and more raw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Raw or rare steaks don't have any blood in them, the blood is long gone before the meat gets to you. The red juices are just myoglobin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Blue-rare. Depending on the cut.

Even working in a slaughterhouse hasn't stopped me. I'd be moving the cattle up the intake chute thinking........mmmmm.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Medium rare for me. I love cooking steak and I can't understand how a lot of chef's mess it up in restaurants. I almost always order rare in restaurants because it usually gets over cooked.

Easiest dish in the world to cook if done right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

dobman88 wrote: »
    Medium rare for me. I love cooking steak and I can't understand how a lot of chef's mess it up in restaurants. I almost always order rare in restaurants because it usually gets over cooked.

I'd say too many people order it rare, decide it's less cooked than they expected, and send it back. A lot of people don't realise that the inside of the steak is supposed to be cool when cooked rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'd say too many people order it rare, decide it's less cooked than they expected, and send it back. A lot of people don't realise that the inside of the steak is supposed to be cool when cooked rare.

Doesn't really give a chef an excuse to overcook it every time though. May as well say, Oh he ordered rare, I'll cook that medium cos he hasnt a clue. I have sent medium rare steaks back for being overcooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

I get a kg of tenderloin, very light drizzle of olive oil and seasoning, the steak has enough of its own flavor.

On to a wood/charcoal kettle BBQ/Braai, you should be able to hold your hand over the grill for 8-10 secs, not the coals the grill.

5 mins either side and cut into slivers on a plate for the centre of the table. Lovely and rare. There shouldn't be too much blood if the meat has been hung correctly and if you guests (generally pom women) give out about the "doneness" of their free meal they can throw their pieces back on the coals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

gg2 wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like a complete dumdum..... Why is it still pink even after being cooked for 8 hours

Because its the temperature that changes the proteins in the meat, not the time in the oven. The chart at the beginning of the thread gives the temperature at which beef is medium rare. If the oven never gets hotter than 60c, the proteins in the meat can't keep changing. It takes 8hours for the whole joint to heat up to 60c. The joint needs to be pan fried or torched to get a good colour on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

@REW,

I actually have a cut just like that in the freezer - would you mind posting a link to the recipe?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Waved about in a warm room momentarily aka bloody!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Cremated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I worked as a personal chef for a very VIP who liked the best fillet from Jack McCarthy in Kanturk just done medium rare, whereas the servants preferred to the same fillet very very well done (I.e sealed in the pan and then 20 minutes in the oven). Made me cry inside preparing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Anyone eating a steak anything over medium rare should just eat something else. I had a lovely rare flank in Bear on South William Street last week, would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We certainly have some steak 'purists' on the thread. :) Personal taste is what it is all about.

For me - I like a ribeye medium rare, but if having a fillet I'd go rare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Loire wrote: »
    @REW,

I actually have a cut just like that in the freezer - would you mind posting a link to the recipe?

Thanks,
    Loire.

I will of course when I get a a few mins at lunch time :-)

drumswan wrote: »
    Anyone eating a steak anything over medium rare should just eat something else. I had a lovely rare flank in Bear on South William Street last week, would recommend.

Depends totally on the cut as to what temperature it should be cooked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Well done, no blood.
    marvsins wrote: »
    Medium rare with a bit of blood to mix in with the mashed potatoes.
    finix wrote: »
    That's it ! I am opening a Restaurant for you lot here.
    National Blood Centre,
    James' Street,
    Dublin 8.
    Bookings now being taken..............
    maguic24 wrote: »
    Gimme all of the blood.....om nom nom nom.

IT'S NOT EFFING BLOOD!!!!!!!!
    Raw or rare steaks don't have any blood in them, the blood is long gone before the meat gets to you. The red juices are just myoglobin.

^^^^
    This.
    It is a mix of water and protein.
    If it was blood it would congeal like black pudding.
    For the well done eaters : when this "blood" is brown juice is it still "blood" and gag inducing?

I've no problem with someone not wanting any pink in their steak if it's an issue for them but I hate the way so many well done eaters go so far past that point when cooking a steak that it is hard and dry.

And to address the original question - I'll happily eat steak anywhere from blue to medium rare but if cooking blue I like the steak to be well warmed before cooking so it doesn't have a chilled middle.

Ever notice how well done steakers insist that they "can't" eat rare steak but seem to think that the rest of us just "don't want to" eat well done steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I like mine somewhere between medium rare and medium. The better the cut, the rarer I like it. You know...a little bloody. With a little blood on the plate. Blood. (Blood.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dipdip wrote: »
    I like mine somewhere between medium rare and medium. The better the cut, the rarer I like it. You know...a little bloody. With a little blood on the plate. Blood. (Blood.)

There may well be blood yet;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

There may well be blood yet;)

Yeah, from your brain aneurysm. :pac: Always getting your knickers in a twist man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Did someone say blood? Yeah I love it bloody. :P

If someone says to you that it's blood coming from their steak (or whatever meat) then disregard any other food knowledge that's uttered from their mouths, this also applies to oil in boiling water for pasta and cream in a carbonara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Did I mention that I like mine bloody? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

IT'S NOT EFFING BLOOD!!!!!!!!
    Its amazing how little people actually know about the food they eat

Advertisement