Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Origins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

snausages wrote: »
    imo, I disagree with that. Arkham has a very simplistic combat engine.

Thats the point of the combat its easy to get a chain going and with all the gadgets you have plenty of options. Musn't be too simple that when Uncharted and Assassins Creed tried to copy it and made a pigs ear of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

GTR63 wrote: »
    Thats the point of the combat its easy to get a chain going and with all the gadgets you have plenty of options. Musn't be too simple that when Uncharted and Assassins Creed tried to copy it and made a pigs ear of it.

Combat in Arkham is simple to the point of being banal. You can make a simple combat system engaging as well but for me Arkham's repetitive system of basic melee and signposted counter attacks served as a motivation to avoid combat altogether whenever possible. Sadly, the stealth options were just as limited. The boss design was rubbish also. It's not a bad game but I've never understood why it's rated as one of the best games this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Playing on hard or going for gold in the combat challenges requires more than simple combos and shows just how brilliant the system is. Sleeping dogs recently copied the combat system and pulled it off quiet well. Just out of interest, what kind of games/ combat do you prefer?

Stuff like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. With Batman I find there's too much of a disconnect between the player and Batman. In the other two games you have direct control and can manipulate the character as much as you want. Don't like the combat in AC either, same kind of thing as far as I'm concerned.

I feel the opposite, I dont like the combat in devil may cry as it feels boring and disconnected just like you said for batman.

1 thing I will agree with you on is that assassins creed combat is absolutely crap!

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I feel the opposite, I dont like the combat in devil may cry as it feels boring and disconnected just like you said for batman.

It isn't really though. Almost every frame of Dante's movement is under your control and there's a very broad range of possibilities in the way you can fight in those games, unlike Batman which is very samey across its 8-10 hour playtime. I won't get into a big rigmarole about it though. Different strokes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Without all the comic stuff and brilliant lore, it's still an excellent game with, imo, the best combat of any game this.

The Souls series and Bayonetta beg to differ! They're both on a completely different level than the combat in AA or AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Big Knox wrote: »
    The Souls series and Bayonetta beg to differ! They're both on a completely different level than the combat in AA or AC.

Ah here. Not having that. You know I'm a huge souls fan but the melee combat in Souls is much more simplistic. 95% of players spend their time holding block. You have regular attack, and power attack. In melee that's it. PVP is different but there isn't an NPC enemy in the entire game that can't be defeated by blocking and poking. Players often kite enemies, or get them stuck on terrain or just plain abuse glitches. Now, that's all in the nature of the game so it's acceptable, but it doesn't make it necessarily a good thing. Not to mention the animation is very clunky from a visual standpoint.

Batman's fighting is fast and fluid with the player engaging with over a dozen enemies at once being commonplace. You don't just have 2 different attacks like in Souls, you have dozens of abilities at your disposal. It looks incredible from a viewer standpoint with beautiful animations and when played on hard mode, there is no big yellow indicator for countering.....you have to use your own eyes and timing.

I agree with Sheehy. It has the best third person combat of any game. It's not perfect, but it's as close as any game has gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

One of the things I loved most about Batman's combat was how up close and personal it was. You can swing shiny swords and summon magical powers all you like, and that's all well and good, but there's something beautiful and pure in the sight of seeing a man's shoulder getting brutally dislocated, or their head getting slammed into a balcony railing, without any screen-obscuring special effects getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Kirby wrote: »
    Ah here. Not having that. You know I'm a huge souls fan but the melee combat in Souls is much more simplistic. 95% of players spend their time holding block. You have regular attack, and power attack. In melee that's it. PVP is different but there isn't an NPC enemy in the entire game that can't be defeated by blocking and poking. Players often kite enemies, or get them stuck on terrain or just plain abuse glitches. Now, that's all in the nature of the game so it's acceptable, but it doesn't make it necessarily a good thing. Not to mention the animation is very clunky from a visual standpoint.

Batman's fighting is fast and fluid with the player engaging with over a dozen enemies at once being commonplace. You don't just have 2 different attacks like in Souls, you have dozens of abilities at your disposal. It looks incredible from a viewer standpoint with beautiful animations and when played on hard mode, there is no big yellow indicator for countering.....you have to use your own eyes and timing.

I agree with Sheehy. It has the best third person combat of any game. It's not perfect, but it's as close as any game has gotten.

2 attacks? I don't even know where to start...

Light attack
    Heavy Attack
    Numerous chain combos using both
    2 handed light attack
    2 handed heavy attack
    Running 1 handed
    Running 2 handed
    Light attack from roll
    Heavy attack from roll
    Lunging 1 handed
    Lunging 2 handed
    Light attack from backstep
    Heavy attack from backstep
    Backstab
    Parry / Riposte
    Shield slam
    Kick

All of the above are available with nearly all of them having completely different attacks, animations and hit detection for every different weapon in the game of which there are 60+ with unique movesets. All varying massively depending on the weapon type. Don't get me wrong I like the combat in AC but the depth and mechanics of the combat is what the Souls series is known and loved for and your post does it a massive disservice.

Anyway apologies for going off topic, I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Engaging with a dozen enemies at once is commonplace in any action game tbh.

People give DMC4 a lot of stick for feeling like an incomplete game but I think it has the most satisfying and technically involving combat engine of any game released this gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

cov_241_l.jpg

Warner Bros. Games Montreal has taken the mantle of the bat from Rocksteady Studios this time around for Batman: Arkham Origins. WB Montreal has full access to Rocksteady's custom modified Unreal engine to capture the look and feel of the Arkhamverse. As the title suggests, the game takes place years before both of the previous Arkham titles when a young, unrefined Batman encounters many supervillains for the first time. On our full cover image below, fans will recognize the assassin Deathstroke, who appears for the very first time in a core Arkham game.

Heading up the vision for Arkham Origins is creative director Eric Holmes, known for being the lead designer of open world action hits The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Prototype. A self-professed lover of comics, Holmes even wrote the miniseries Transformers: Megatron Origin for IDW.

Gamers won't have to wait long to experience Batman's lastest adventure. Batman: Arkham Origins releases October 25, 2013 on Wii U, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/09/may-cover-revealed-batman-arkham-origins.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

No pressure WB Montreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I loved the Arkham games, but if the latest installment features the justice league or any of that rubbish I won't even acknowledge its existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So I guess they're not doing anything with all the loose ends from Arkham City?

Awww yeaaaaaaaahh

Gonna be the cover of Game Informer for May.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/09/may-cover-revealed-batman-arkham-origins.aspx

cov_241_l.jpg

And from the vid below, the story sounds like "We have 8 of the worlds top assassins come to town on the same night, Christmas Eve, to kill the Bat" and it will be the first time Bats meets a lot of these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

humanji wrote: »
    So I guess they're not doing anything with all the loose ends from Arkham City?

That's the most annoying part for me. It's like they thought that the game had to have Arkham in the title, and had to have Joker in it (but they didn't want to do the comic book thing of bringing him back to life), so they felt they had to go with a prequel (rather than making a larger sequel to Arkham City and calling the game Gotham City).

The problem with prequels in game franchises too is that in terms of story, the protagonist should usually be less experienced and have lesser quality equipment, whereas the gamer is more experienced with better equipment.

After Arkham City, this is a definite "Shut up and take my money" purchase for me though. AC was a thoroughly fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sold!

If on multi platforms, this is the one game that would persuade me to get a PS4 on release day.

Can a Mod change the title to Batman: Arkham Origins please?

Also, it may not be Rocksteady but WB Games Montreal have access to all their tools for this game. Anyone know what other games WB Games have made?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just take my money.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    After Arkham City, this is a definite "Shut up and take my money" purchase for me though. AC was a thoroughly fantastic game.

Haha, yeah. I remember having will power once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The prequel nature of the game could be explained by the fact that this isn't a Rocksteady title and while they're supposedly currently working on a Silver Age version of Batman, at least this way they'd be free to return to the timeline when they're ready.

Release Date 25th October 2013

I never saw Clouds thread a while ago, can a Mod merge the threads please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

If on multi platforms, this is the one game that would persuade me to get a PS4 on release day.

Can a Mod change the title to Batman: Arkham Origins please?

Also, it may not be Rocksteady but WB Games Montreal have access to all their tools for this game. Anyone know what other games WB Games have made?

They've only been around since 2010. The only game they've worked on so far is the Wii U port of Arkham City. They're also working on Lego Legends of Chima and Looney Toons games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Deano7788 wrote: »
    They've only been around since 2010. The only game they've worked on so far is the Wii U port of Arkham City.

Time will tell if they can pull it off or not, RockSteady's boots are big boots to fill. And they had done flip all before they made the Arkham games.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

B:AO threads merged, main one renamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Time will tell if they can pull it off or not, RockSteady's boots are big boots to fill.

Yep, I've got very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I love the Arkham games, they're my favourite 360/PS3 games. On the other, I'm very wary of giving it to a developer that's pretty inexperienced (or any developer other than Rocksteady really, but a bigger portfolio of (good) games would have eased my concerns somewhat). The armour addition to the port wasn't great either from what I've heard although I think that was just shoehorned in to have something new in it. I'm cautiously optimistic atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Deano7788 wrote: »
    The only game they've worked on so far is the Wii U port of Arkham City.

And a damn fine port it was too, technically

As someone else said, no pressure wb games, im only expecting my 3rd GOTY from the series in a row.

• Advertisement

I wonder if they're planning to do with Batman what was done with Call of Duty, as in the same basic game design, but two different companies working on two different timelines?

Advertisement