Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Corkfeen wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    .........!!!!

FYP. Your's was waaay too subtle :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Obliq wrote: »
    FYP. Your's was waaay too subtle :D

That's me all right.

My friends would all say I am subtle... if I had any left...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My friends would all say I am subtle... if I had any left...:cool:

Ah, being subtle smacks too much of martyrdom to me. My mother is subtle. I disavow subtle. Go for the noise, as they say :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

[rant]Kind of narked by this post on the humour thread, and those that led up to it. Could be me, working late these days so a bit narky anyway, but using the humour thread as a podium for venting annoys me. Main reason is purely selfish, in that seeing that type of crass shíte posted in a forum I spend time on puts me off the forum.
    Jesus Christ, some people are so damn touchy. Every religion deserves to be mocked and ridiculed, and yes that even includes Islam which is even bigger BS than Christianity.

Reasoned criticism, grand. Serious and vocal criticism of the brutal human rights abuses being carried out in the name of religion, better still. But to my mind the above amounts to no better than the worst bigotry offered by the smiling men in skirts and borders on incitement to hatred.

tl;dr IMHO, the funnies thread should be reserved for stuff that's funny[/rant]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

smacl wrote: »
    [rant]Kind of narked by this post on the humour thread, and those that led up to it. Could be me, working late these days so a bit narky anyway, but using the humour thread as a podium for venting annoys me. Main reason is purely selfish, in that seeing that type of crass shíte posted in a forum I spend time on puts me off the forum.

Reasoned criticism, grand. Serious and vocal criticism of the brutal human rights abuses being carried out in the name of religion, better still. But to my mind the above amounts to no better than the worst bigotry offered by the smiling men in skirts and borders on incitement to hatred.

Your post annoyed me that's why I had to respond. As for that picture of the child brides I never thought it was funny I was just trying to point out how ****ed up some denominations of Islam that they actually condone such vile disgusting practices and see it as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Your post annoyed me that's why I had to respond. As for that picture of the child brides I never thought it was funny I was just trying to point out how ****ed up some denominations of Islam that they actually condone such vile disgusting practices and see it as normal.

It's not a picture of child brides. Why did you put in the funny thread if that was your intent?

Nodin wrote: »
    It's not a picture of child brides. Why did you put in the funny thread if that was your intent?

It's a blasphemy thread too, and like I said I never intended for it to be funny.

It's a blasphemy thread too.

News to me. That wasn't blasphemy either.

If your intent was to highlight child brides within islam, why didn't you start a thread?

News to me. That wasn't blasphemy either.

If your intent was to highlight child brides within islam, why didn't you start a thread?

Well to some Muslim denominations that would be blasphemy because they see it as the norm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Humour is obviously a subjective and cultural thing. Not everyone will get every 'joke' on the funny side thread. Especially the more obscure nerdy references. :pac:

Humour, when used correctly, can be used to make very eloquent points. When done poorly it tends to have the opposite effect. There's often a very fine line between a successful joke and a flat one. As mods, it's very difficult to enforce a criteria based on humour. But we can enforce rules based on taste. Posting a depiction of a man expressing his desire to rape a nine year old girl is in very bad taste. Pretty much every poster here accepts Mohammed was a child abuser. They don't need to see depictions of such abuse. It's pretty disturbing to many posters.

Please have some consideration for other posters and readers. Not everyone has the same tastes - and that's ok. If everyone continues to argue over such petty stuff like what is happening now in two threads a hostile atmosphere will envelope the place. I'd like to ask that posters in the funny side of religion and indeed all other threads don't overdo their posting. Variety is the spice of life, and seeing the same type of humour repeated again and again, often times within the one post, can become tedious. Take a step back and think about others too before posting content en masse. Nobody wants bad blood creeping into forum. So, please, guys don't let that happen.

Thanking yous,
    T

Fair enough, btw I apologize to those who I may have offended, believe me, it was never my intention

Well to some Muslim denominations that would be blasphemy because they see it as the norm

....and again, they wouldn't see that pic as the norm because its a fake.

....and again, they wouldn't see that pic as the norm because its a fake.

So you have said like a 1000 times. How the heck was I to know if it was real or not ? and why does it even matter if the photo is genuine ? Jesus ****ing christ, you'd pick a fight in empty phone box

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get a f**kin grip Nodin. The people whose values you semingly defend would fillet you (and me) in a heartbeat because Allah.

Life ain't always empty.

smacl wrote: »

Perhaps.
    But fundamentalist Islam represents a serious threat to our way of life, whether you deny it or not. Freedom of expression, freedom of and from religion is anathema to these guys.

Fundamentalist christianity is just as bad - in some places today - in many other places in the past, and we had our own version here not long ago.

Islam is newer, so it's still more extreme and they've a lot of steam to burn off. In 800 years time they'll be bouncy castle muslims :)

Life ain't always empty.

So you have said like a 1000 times. How the heck was I to know if it was real or not ? and why does it even matter if the photo is genuine ? Jesus ****ing christ, you'd pick a fight in empty phone box

Theres no point in replacing one set of lies with another.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Get a f**kin grip Nodin. The people whose values you semingly defend would fillet you (and me) in a heartbeat because Allah.

?

?

!

Life ain't always empty.

You need to get laid Nodin

• Advertisement

You need to get laid Nodin

That's uncalled for.

I desperately need to get laid.

My wife and the mother of my children is asleep, I'll ask her for permission in the morning :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

That's uncalled for.

I desperately need to get laid.

My wife and the mother of my children is asleep, I'll ask her for permission in the morning :p

Newtownmountkennedy, 1994.

Was I kidding...? :p

!

....where am I defending child brides.............?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Perhaps.
    But fundamentalist Islam represents a serious threat to our way of life, whether you deny it or not. Freedom of expression, freedom of and from religion is anathema to these guys.

Fundamentalist christianity is just as bad - in some places today - in many other places in the past, and we had our own version here not long ago.

Islam is newer, so it's still more extreme and they've a lot of steam to burn off. In 800 years time they'll be bouncy castle muslims :)

No disagreement here, and you'll see repeated criticism of Islam throughout my posts including links to amnesty discussions on the latest atrocities. IMHO using the funnies thread as a podium to slag off religion doesn't help, particularly where those posts are the posters sole contribution to this forum. Posts in the funnies thread should be funny first and foremost, loads of other threads here better suited to serious criticism of religion if that is the primary intent.

Again just my opinion, but thinly veiled attempts at incitement to hatred are reprehensible regardless who they're directed at, and deserve to be called out. I'd say leave the 'hand for a hand, eye for eye' approach to the zealots.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's a blasphemy thread too, and like I said I never intended for it to be funny.
    You never intended it to be funny? What's funny is that Worztron posted it. Funny as in peculiar, for the record.

Dades wrote: »
    You never intended it to be funny? What's funny is that Worztron posted it. Funny as in peculiar, for the record.

I though worztron did the muhammed in the y-fronts and the young one......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ah - gotcha.

Move along nothing to see here.

Yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Gordon wrote: »
    We were there at the same time then. But you'll be closer to that reality than mine as I was quite young and more hidden away in the expat world. Of course I'm not saying that there's more abuse in Ireland than anywhere else, that would be silly. But we all form strong opinions due to personal experience.

This is a key point. Most people on this forum are Irish and have a certain mindset (not wholly positive) when it comes to Ireland, its history, society and culture. It then helps perpetuate a certain narrative about the country that tends to feed into a negative feedback loop about the place. Add in the Irish way of being judgmental, insecure and insincere then we have a nice recipe making it socially acceptable and OK to hate the place because of anything from Bono, the RCC, the weather, to Enda Kenny... We seem to be happiest as a country when there is some crisis of some sort to fix. We seem to revel in negativity as we have to atone for some perpetual sin of well, being Irish. Don't get me wrong other nationalities give out but we are the Brazil in World Cups at giving out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jank wrote: »
    This is a key point. Most people on this forum are Irish and have a certain mindset (not wholly positive) when it comes to Ireland, its history, society and culture. It then helps perpetuate a certain narrative about the country that tends to feed into a negative feedback loop about the place. Add in the Irish way of being judgmental, insecure and insincere then we have a nice recipe making it socially acceptable and OK to hate the place because of anything from Bono, the RCC, the weather, to Enda Kenny... We seem to be happiest as a country when there is some crisis of some sort to fix. We seem to revel in negativity as we have to atone for some perpetual sin of well, being Irish. Don't get me wrong other nationalities give out but we are the Brazil in World Cups at giving out.

I really got to say this type of mindset is pretty damn insulting to this whole situation,

People aren't just being negative for the sake of being negative, hell people aren't even been negative.

People are outraged, upset over the crimes carried out by an organisation that claims even today that it is some sort of guardian of morals.

Yes the government back then made alot of mistakes, but the Catholic church has far more blood on its hands for its actual treatment of women and children throughout the decades.,

If the catholic church really was sorry then why didn't they own up to their own sins decades ago? Its not like they didn't know what they did.

But Jank, go right ahead, try make light of the situation this country is in. Sure its just people ranting
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Cabaal wrote: »
    I really got to say this type of mindset is pretty damn insulting to this whole situation, [...] Sure its just people ranting :rolleyes:
    jank wrote: »
    This is a key point. Most people on this forum are Irish and have a certain mindset (not wholly positive) when it comes to Ireland, its history, society and culture. It then helps perpetuate a certain narrative about the country that tends to feed into a negative feedback loop about the place. [...] Don't get me wrong other nationalities give out but we are the Brazil in World Cups at giving out.
    If I wasn't aware of your history of posting a continuous stream of "ah, yer all just bloody begrudgers" comments, I'd be quite annoyed at this kind of trivializing note too.

As it is, well, Cabaal's rolling eyes kind of sum up my feelings - can't you post anything worth reading? Can't you change your tune for just one topic?

Advertisement