Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If you read the Boards.ie Terms of Use you'll see that anonymity is almost like a sacrament to the site. Rob is by way obliged to answer your question. Though, I believe he has. So, please, stop insisting on it.
    You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:
    otherwise violate the rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others
    identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Jernal wrote: »
    If you read the Boards.ie Terms of Use you'll see that anonymity is almost like a sacrament to the site. Rob is by way obliged to answer your question. Though, I believe he has. So, please, stop insisting on it.
    I'm not interested in his/her identity nor am I speculating on it. I am trying to establish if there is a conflict of interest present.

I'm not interested in his/her identity nor am I speculating on it. I am trying to establish if there is a conflict of interest present.

Maybe I didn't make this clear? You are not allowed to enquire about anything personal or private related to a poster. If Rob is a member of AI or the Labour Party or Fianna Fail. It's none of your business, unless he decides to a) be a shill, or b) voluntarily divulge the information himself. You asked, he answered. Yet, you persist in asking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I am trying to establish if there is a conflict of interest present.
    For the record, and since you've failed to grasp the meaning of either of my two previous posts, I am not now a member of Atheist Ireland. Nor, for what it's worth, have I ever been a member of Atheist Ireland.

You have also been red-carded for ignoring a direct moderator instruction which I issued just over an hour ago.

Your next post which, in the opinion of any of the forum mods, is bickering or unhelpful will result in a week's ban from A+A. If, upon your subsequent return to A+A, any further posts which, in the opinion of any of the forum mods, are similarly bickering or unhelpful will result in your permanent departure from this forum.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

robindch wrote: »
    For the record, and since you've failed to grasp the meaning of either of my two previous posts, I am not now a member of Atheist Ireland. Nor, for what it's worth, have I ever been a member of Atheist Ireland.

You have also been red-carded for ignoring a direct moderator instruction which I issued just over an hour ago.

Your next post which, in the opinion of any of the forum mods, is bickering or unhelpful will result in a week's ban from A+A. If, upon your subsequent return to A+A, any further posts which, in the opinion of any of the forum mods, are similarly bickering or unhelpful will result in your permanent departure from this forum.

I wasn't ignoring anything. I didn't get your Power Rangers reference. Could you explain it?

I'll need you to give me your definition "bickering" and "unhelpful" if I am to avoid it.

• Advertisement

I'll need you to give me your definition "bickering" and "unhelpful" if I am to avoid it.

You know what they meant. Rules aren't always literal there's the spirit of the charter too. So, I guess, eitherway you've found out now what those definitions are. See you in a week.

^^^ Much obliged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I know Brown Bomber has a history of picking fights on this forum BUT I can't think of a busy forum on boards (with the exception of some of the sports ones), where an individual linked to an organization is permitted to promote it with such regularity in separate threads.
    I understand the situation is slightly different to the normal pimping/shilling as Michael Nugent does engage in the threads themselves but it definitely seems like a situation thats unusual and wouldn't be tolerated on a lot of other forums here.

I know Brown Bomber has a history of picking fights on this forum BUT I can't think of a busy forum on boards (with the exception of some of the sports ones), where an individual linked to an organization is permitted to promote it with such regularity in separate threads.
    I understand the situation is slightly different to the normal pimping/shilling as Michael Nugent does engage in the threads themselves but it definitely seems like a situation thats unusual and wouldn't be tolerated on a lot of other forums here.

I don't dispute his point about Michael at all. He has a very valid point. All I can say is that it's continually under review and currently we believe Michael's threads provide a value to the community on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It was taken up in feedback (the Sys one) already, and apparently the powers that be have no problem with the situation thus far. While some may have a genuine issue with it, I'd suggest that others see raising it as a means towards an end.

• Advertisement

If folks can put forward reasons why Michael shouldn't be given the leeway then we'll listen to them.
    The feeling in that feedback thread and the feeling here is that Michael's thread contribute far more discussion wise than they do towards his own personal promotions. If his posts weren't here this forum would likely be worse off. Also, I'm open to correction here, but he was very open to the idea of having his posts being confined to a single thread (or not allowed at all!). However, I think, as has been observed in his threads his posts spawn discussion. So we'd only have to end up creating separate threads anyway. The way I try to assess it is that if it was someone else e.g MrPudding. starting all those threads with similar subject matter would we be looking at him for spam,promoting one organisation, soapboxing etc. at the expense of the forum as a whole? That's just my read on it. Rob and Dades may read it differently again. At the moment we're ok with him posting as long as he doesn't over do it and he actively contributes to the discussions.

<Discussing a banned poster who can't defend themselves, probably best to leave it out until everything's sorted.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

If folks can put forward reasons why Michael shouldn't be given the leeway then we'll listen to them.
    The feeling in that feedback thread and the feeling here is that Michael's thread contribute far more discussion wise than they do towards his own personal promotions. If his posts weren't here this forum would likely be worse off. Also, I'm open to correction here, but he was very open to the idea of having his posts being confined to a single thread (or not allowed at all!). However, I think, as has been observed in his threads his posts spawn discussion. So we'd only have to end up creating separate threads anyway. The way I try to assess it is that if it was someone else e.g MrPudding. starting all those threads with similar subject matter would we be looking at him for spam,promoting one organisation, soapboxing etc. at the expense of the forum as a whole? That's just my read on it. Rob and Dades may read it differently again. At the moment we're ok with him posting as long as he doesn't over do it and he actively contributes to the discussions.[/

I agree that Michael adds here, and promotes discussion.

The Pope,A Paisley,an Imam, a Rabbi,youth defence (anything else you can think of) etc...also promote discussion.

Actually ,maybe Michael promotes lesser discussion than the alternatives above, but the perception may be that he gets an easier ride round here (in comparison), or may even use this board to his own ends.

Let them all in I say!

Favour none of them.

Nodin wrote: »
    It was taken up in feedback (the Sys one) already, and apparently the powers that be have no problem with the situation thus far. While some may have a genuine issue with it, I'd suggest that others see raising it as a means towards an end.

The powers that be,eh!

A means toward an end,eh!

Who's end?

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    The powers that be,eh!

A means toward an end ,eh!

We can't have that now,can we!

Lucy,

I've yet to understand a single one of your posts? What exactly are you saying? Very often Michael's "promotions" often turn into rigorous cross examinations. I'd suspect if we gave youth defence a soapbox ( and we don't give Michael a soapbox!) They'd come under fire from just about everywhere. It would probably be a lot of fun for posters actually. Not so much for the mod team though.

Lucy,

I've yet to understand a single one of your posts? What exactly are you saying? Very often Michael's "promotions" often turn into rigorous cross examinations. I'd suspect if we gave youth defence a soapbox ( and we don't give Michael a soapbox!) They'd come under fire from just about everywhere. It would probably be a lot of fun for posters actually. Not so much for the mod team though.

Now,now,...you understood enough to question it!

Can you imagine the gleeful cross examination of "youth defence " that would happen round here if you gave 'em a "soapbox".

Actually, if they posted on the Christianity forum (in expectation of a crowd of support), no power in Ireland could stop the stampede from this board.

I think bennycake would be under severe pressure.

There is soap-boxing here...and support for it...and I'm o.k. with that.

I'm also o.k. with descent.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Now,now,...you understood enough to question it!

So did it respond to your query then? :confused:

Ah! o.k. Jernal....i've tried twice to edit post *345...and my mishaps are showing up as *346.

If this is the issue between us....please feel free to delete *346...even I am confused...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Idle musing here, but would a FAQ or Things You Should Know thread have any utility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I think I summed it up nicely.

7WT70UW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Idle musing here, but would a FAQ or Things You Should Know thread have any utility?

Well I'm working my way through the "Interesting Stuff" thread at the minute, and right at the start of the thread there are some links to some good reading material, but the stuff there recently that Sarky was posting about microbiology and DNA near the end of the thread, that stuff is something EVERYBODY should read, and it's so well written, explained, and understandable in layman's terms... I was well impressed tbh :eek:

Maybe pull out the stuff at the start of the thread and make that the FAQ and sticky, like other forums where they have stickys with links to where a person can find more information about the subject that particular forum covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I think a number of links to anything oldrnwisr has posted would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The forum is ruined with religious trolls given free rein.

They're not entertaining or funny or raising interesting points, they're not even stupid enough to be laughed at. Just the same tripe again and again, the only arguments they engage in are circular.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »

They're not entertaining or funny or raising interesting points, they're not even stupid enough to be laughed at. Just the same tripe again and again, the only arguments they engage in are circular.

We probably are over lenient however part of the issues recently are down to technical issues with boards. I'm not seeing reported posts, I am seeing reported posts, posts go missing, reappear, figuring out what is what is rather confusing. Another part of the issue is that it's unfair for me to be saying 'I'm' not seeing. As currently it's mostly robin running the overstretched ship. Dades and Jernal are a bunch of slackers who need a slap on the wrists. :o Robin needs all your biscuits and beer.

We probably are over lenient however part of the issues recently are down to technical issues with boards. I'm not seeing reported posts, I am seeing reported posts, posts go missing, reappear, figuring out what is what is rather confusing. .....................

Quantum trolling?

Nodin wrote: »
    Quantum trolling?

Hamster exploitation, I'm afraid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When I posted this it was before I read the 'Panti vs. Iona' thread. Jesus.

I haven't got to the last page yet. I'm still hopeful of justice :/

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

So long as a poster isn't breaking the forum charter, they're pretty much free to post whatever they like. And other posters can interact, or not, with their posts as they wish. There's also the reporting mechanism which everybody can use if they feel that other posters are violating one forum rule or another.

For myself, when dealing with religious posters who don't run away at the sight of the first difficult question -- which, in all fairness, is probably the majority -- I find that asking very specific, very tightly-defined questions can yield useful results. Long-winded posts, though, tend to elicit long-winded replies, probably to the frustration of both ends of the discussion.

That's my $.02 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's hard to give a short reply to anything J C says. There's just so much wrong in every damn post. :(

Advertisement