Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Communions/confirmations, utter farce?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

lazygal wrote: »

Same old, same old, then.

Correct

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Recruitment/collecting money/recruitment/etc

Same old, same old, then.

In the dark ages, when Papacy held control of men's consciences and few dared to think, one method which she practiced to supply herself with money was the sale of indulgences. The indulgence was a permission to sin and yet be free from its consequences.

It first consisted in the forgiveness of sins and remission of the penalty to all who would fight the church's battles-- holy wars.

Heretics included all classes of Christians who differed from and did not support Papacy. Infidels were those who disbelieved in Christianity.

Against these she waged her wars, and those who engaged in them and died in battle were sure of heaven, no matter what their previous course of life had been. This cancellation of sins was offered on account, not of repentance and faith in the ransom, but for what they termed the "good work" of slaughtering the church's enemies in the crusades, etc. Thus indulgences got under headway.

“When a penny in the coffer rings, / A soul from Purgatory springs.” Aristotle was right: every “system,” natural or man-made, moves inexorably toward corruption, degeneration, and death.

"If the Church has the resources to wipe out everyone’s temporal penalties, why doesn’t it do so?"

Because God does not wish this to be done. God himself instituted the pattern of temporal penalties being left behind. They fulfill valid functions, one of them disciplinary. If a child were never disciplined, he would never learn obedience. God disciplines us as his children — "the Lord disciplines him whom he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives" (Heb. 12:6) — so some temporal penalties must remain.

Read this is you want to laugh

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/myths-about-indulgences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Isn't religion just fascinating. Especially the history of religion.
    Life would be a boring place if man hadn't felt the need to invent religion.
    I could read about it all day despite how nutty it all seems now in the information age.

Believers, you're living the dream!

:D

PS. Can you get indulgences in Argos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Birroc wrote: »

:D

PS. Can you get indulgences in Argos?

Don't think so but you can get pre-signed Mass cards in my local shop which is kinda the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

kylith wrote: »
    Jaysus, they still do Corpus Christi?

There's a big stand for it just gone up in Cork where Grand Parade meets Patrick St.

It blocks access to a pedestrian crossing. Gotta be a health and safety issue there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

In the dark ages, when Papacy held control of men's consciences and few dared to think, one method which she practiced to supply herself with money was the sale of indulgences. The indulgence was a permission to sin and yet be free from its consequences.

It first consisted in the forgiveness of sins and remission of the penalty to all who would fight the church's battles-- holy wars.

Heretics included all classes of Christians who differed from and did not support Papacy. Infidels were those who disbelieved in Christianity.

Against these she waged her wars, and those who engaged in them and died in battle were sure of heaven, no matter what their previous course of life had been. This cancellation of sins was offered on account, not of repentance and faith in the ransom, but for what they termed the "good work" of slaughtering the church's enemies in the crusades, etc. Thus indulgences got under headway.

If ever there was a contradiction in terms, it's calling those Patriarchal F*ckers the Papacy a "SHE". :mad::mad::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sarky wrote: »
    There's a big stand for it just gone up in Cork where Grand Parade meets Patrick St.
    Is this an annual thing? Like I said, I remember being forced to march around about 25 years ago, but I had no idea Corpus Christi was still celebrated. I'm wondering if it's something which has re-started since the current Religious Vs Non Religious atmosphere atmosphere came into being with the abortion debate.

Is this an annual thing? Like I said, I remember being forced to march around about 25 years ago, but I had no idea Corpus Christi was still celebrated. I'm wondering if it's something which has re-started since the current Religious Vs Non Religious atmosphere atmosphere came into being with the abortion debate.

I think so, but I'm not certain. I tend to avoid the streets during the summer, as they tend to fill up with crazies.

I think so, but I'm not certain. I tend to avoid the streets during the summer, as they tend to fill up with crazies.

Annual thing. Came as a great shock to me that it was still going on when I came back from the UK in 1993 ....and Oz in 2001.

Nearly got arrested in my misspent youth for sitting on the bishop's chair on that big platform in Daunt's Sq at 1 a.m. ... the Guard was a bit hesitant as a) I was stone cold sober and b) I had an accent that promised a world of expensive lawyers and law suits in his immediate future.

I was annoyed that the platform covered the public benches and I was breaking in a new pair of Docs so my feet were killing me and needed to bloody well sit down so I thought sod the f'ing bishop. :mad:

• Advertisement

It would be tempting to hang out between McDonald's and the Woodford just behind the stand, making an almighty blasphemous racket during the procession, don't you think..?

It would be tempting to hang out between McDonald's and the Woodford just behind the stand, making an almighty blasphemous racket during the procession, don't you think..?

Used to be an ATM by Waterstones that made really really loud beep noises when you pressed a key... one could even play a tune or two on it while ordering statements, getting mini-statements, checking balances and other banking esentials. :D

Back in the 50s there was a veh posh wine merchants (Woodford and Byrne I think) where Mac D's is now who were known for their sectarian employment policies (strictly no papists) - what fun it would be to hop in the Tardis and stir it up a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Don't think so but you can get pre-signed Mass cards in my local shop which is kinda the same thing.

The irish priests don't like the 3rd world priests signing cards and selling them cheaper

The Church’s norms and regulations about Mass offerings are clearly set out in the 1983 Code of Canon Law and in the 1991 Decree Mos lugiter. (Canon 947).

Having signed or stamped Mass cards for sale to the public in shops and other commercial outlets is a practice that is not approved by the Irish Episcopal Conference, the Major Religious Superiors or the Superiors of Missionary Societies because it undermines a correct understanding of the Eucharist.

PRE-SIGNED Mass cards will become a thing of the past as Government is set to implement new laws banning the multi-million euro commercial activity. The new law is under Section 99 of the Charities Act and john curran said

‘will ensure the good faith of people cannot be taken advantage of’.

“The sale of pre-signed Mass cards in shops, as opposed to directly from the Catholic Church, has been a matter of public concern for some time.

Yes, a big fcuking huge concern to the rcc

The concerns are twofold: One, will a Mass actually be offered in respect of the specific intentions? Two, is there an element of profit behind the sale of such cards?” said Minister Curran.
    Obliq wrote: »
    If ever there was a contradiction in terms, it's calling those Patriarchal F*ckers the Papacy a "SHE". :mad::mad::confused:

No, according to the church women are evil and useless, they should shut up and do what they are told, and keep having children.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"Your Holiness, there is a massive prevalence of paedophilia within our ranks! What shall we do?"
    "Fcuk that, there's fcukers selling pre-signed Mass cards!" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sod the bishop, is that a euphemism for masturbation?

The concerns are twofold: One, will a Mass actually be offered in respect of the specific intentions? Two, is there an element of profit behind the sale of such cards?” said Minister Curran.

Is there an element of profit? Is there an element of profit??? Last I checked they weren't giving the fecking things away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

swampgas wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll be hearing from the bishop before very long.

True that (sorry for the lateness of reply, 6 nights a week GAA and the CFC Civ 4 inter-site demogame really eat into a man's time).

But fair play to the man, at least he is taking a sensible and adult view towards proselytisation.

otto_26 wrote: »
    Who said anything about stealing it?? I celebrate the religious event of Christmas.. all ways have and always will.. so not sure how it could be stolen :confused:

Who said Jesus was born on Christmas day in this thread?? we are on about celebrating a religious event and hypocrites.

It's a pagan event, misappropriated by the ealy church in order to more easily convert pagans in N. Europe for whom the Winter solstice was a top 4 holy day (their Arsenal I believe;p).

And the whole point of christmas for christians is to celebrate his "birthday".

Idiot.
    shes_crazy wrote: »
    You do know that Christianity successfully conquered paganism and appropriated its festivals for the greater good?

You know who else justified genocide as being "for the greater good"?

The Nazis. Well known christians they were too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

You know who else justified genocide as being "for the greater good"?

The Nazis. Well known christians they were too.

who mentioned genocide?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

And the whole point of christmas for christians is to celebrate his "birthday".

Idiot.

I thought it was a Pagan event!!

WoW WoW look who's touchy about celebrating the religious event called Christmas!!

Relax big man!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Idiot.
    No name-calling, please. Have a read of the charter here, item one.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

37162448.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I read that Irish schools devote more time to religous education than any other European Country. Only Israel in the 'western world' spends more. Our children are really getting off to a great start in life aren't they?

Fiction being presented as fact, teaching our children to believe in that. It's extremely wrong. Think of what they could do in that time. It's an abuse of children's minds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

I don't mind if children get religious education at school. However the problem is that in Ireland this means that 99% of this education is about Christianity. True religious education would be a thorough discussion of each religion, how that religion began, how it developed etc.

The reason that this isn't done, in my opinion, is that the children will then see that religious followers believe that 'their' god created the world etc....and how can different gods exist. Shouldn't there be one god according to Christianity. So it's better to keep the children away from a thorough discussion.

I am teaching my children philosophy from which they can then draw their moral framework. I'd rather have an agnostic philosopher by my death bed then a misguided priest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I heard the other day that the largest school in my area will from next year no longer be preparing kids for confirmation, if parents want their kids confirmed they'll have to do it directly with the church and on their own time, not the schools.

It's a step forward at least, it should reduce some of the societal pressure on parents to have their kids confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

My niece and nephew were doing their communion today in the UK so I wasn't attending. I got a message from my mother this morning to please send a message to my sister on the day of the twins communion. I was píssed off as I don't like to condone religious indoctrination at any age. I sent a message saying I hoped they had a lovely day and I hoped sol was in the sky unlike the overcast day here. I haven't had a response yet.
    How would you have dealt with this situation or responded?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I was out for lunch last Saturday and next to me was a big table full of adults drinking champaign (followed by pints) and two girls in communion dresses looking really bored. Looked more like an excuse for a piss up than anything else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was out for lunch last Saturday and next to me was a big table full of adults drinking champaign (followed by pints) and two girls in communion dresses looking really bored. Looked more like an excuse for a piss up than anything else.

Thats my experience, especially in more rural areas
    An excuse for a piss up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    My niece and nephew were doing their communion today in the UK so I wasn't attending. I got a message from my mother this morning to please send a message to my sister on the day of the twins communion. I was píssed off as I don't like to condone religious indoctrination at any age. I sent a message saying I hoped they had a lovely day and I hoped sol was in the sky unlike the overcast day here. I haven't had a response yet.
    How would you have dealt with this situation or responded?

I would have sent them a card (not necessarily a communion themed card, a generic congratulations one) and some cash. Creating a conflict in your family where none need exist just so as to make a point seems rather short-sighted to me.

You actually reminded me that I'm "godparent" to one of my sisters kids, even though her and her husband know that I'm not a believer that doesn't seem to be an issue with them. He's an atheist too and she's a births-weddings-deaths catholic if you know what I mean. A couple of years ago I had to stand for him at his confirmation which I thought was pretty funny but I had no real qualms about doing it, it's no skin off my nose. I recall there was something about me being responsible for his religious education but he's turning out to be a fairly intelligent and skeptical chap so alls well that ends well.

I want there to be a time where religious indoctrination in school ends and people don't feel pressured by society to do the baptism/communion/confirmation stuff and I feel like we're (slowly) on the way to that situation but when it comes to family there's no point in being a dick about it, subtle argument and persuasion is more effective than arguing, imo.

I heard the other day that the largest school in my area will from next year no longer be preparing kids for confirmation, if parents want their kids confirmed they'll have to do it directly with the church and on their own time, not the schools.

It's a step forward at least, it should reduce some of the societal pressure on parents to have their kids confirmed.

I wonder what the reaction from parents will be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I wonder what the reaction from parents will be like.

I'd imagine you'll see a marked reduction in the number of parents forcing their children into making their communion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

That's pretty good. Hopefully, that will be the same for all govt funded schools in the near future.

I'd imagine you'll see a marked reduction in the number of parents forcing their children into making their communion.

No forcing, just tell them that they will get somewhere between 500 and 1000 euro, job done. Plus bouncy castle, barbecue, cousins, friends, party...no forcing.

Very possibly. But how many will kick up a 'not fair... my wee Mary... tradition... have to work... commitments...'* before they admit they're just not bothered if the have to do it themselves.

* Translation 'For feck's sake, me mother is going to be on my back about this, and Mary's going to want her frock and the money, but Jesus, I can't be bothered with the hassle and getting up on a Sunday morning and going to fecking mass because it's soooo boring. Bloody Catholic church, making me put effort into the religion I claim to have'.

I didn't go to my granddaughter's communion.

She is vocal about her lack of belief.
    Both her parent's are non-believers.
    Her maternal grandfather on the other hand...
    and everyone in the school...
    and it's a small town...
    So it was 'princess day out'.

I was informed I was not going for 'political' reasons - perhaps, but I would see it as I wasn't going because I'm not a hypocrite and Hermoine making her communion was for political reason as it was to appease Opus Dei Grandfather. I actually would have attended it it had been for genuine religious reasons (ok I would have been sitting there not participating while trying to not constantly :rolleyes: ) but no way was I going to participate in an utter 'nice day out' farce that feeds the lie that Ireland is a Catlick country because look at all the Catlicks we have...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My daughter had her confirmation earlier this year.
    Were not overly religious, my
    Wife brings the girls occasionally and I go an odd time. A-la-carte Catholics I think is a good term for us.

In fairness the ceremony had a lot of focus on growing up, respecting themselves and their peers, progressing to making their own decisions and facing the consequences of those decisions. Obviously there was a fair bit of the Holy Spirit malarkey but what could you expect. I've spoken to my daughter at length about religion and she is interested in going an odd time and understands there is a good message behind it but lots of "noise to be filtered out".
    My daughter wore a dress she had bought for my brothers wedding round the same time.
    Afterwards we had an afternoon at home with family and close friends, my wife cooked all the food, no alcohol served. It was a nice family celebration of my daughters continuing growing up.

My point I suppose is that there is a middle ground between the ultra religious and the farcical heap of pints in the pub options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

_Brian wrote: »
    My point I suppose is that there is a middle ground between the ultra religious and the farcical heap of pints in the pub options.
    And for most people, if they were really honest with themselves, that doesn't involve heading off to mass to listen to teachings they don't really believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

And for most people, if they were really honest with themselves, that doesn't involve heading off to mass to listen to teachings they don't really believe.

Indeed. That's why I'd admit to being a la carte. We take the bits we want and let the rest pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

_Brian wrote: »
    My daughter had her confirmation earlier this year.
    Were not overly religious, my
    Wife brings the girls occasionally and I go an odd time. A-la-carte Catholics I think is a good term for us.

In fairness the ceremony had a lot of focus on growing up, respecting themselves and their peers, progressing to making their own decisions and facing the consequences of those decisions. Obviously there was a fair bit of the Holy Spirit malarkey but what could you expect. I've spoken to my daughter at length about religion and she is interested in going an odd time and understands there is a good message behind it but lots of "noise to be filtered out".
    My daughter wore a dress she had bought for my brothers wedding round the same time.
    Afterwards we had an afternoon at home with family and close friends, my wife cooked all the food, no alcohol served. It was a nice family celebration of my daughters continuing growing up.

Tbh, I wouldn't even people doing for the sake of tradition or having a "nice day out" if they actually made the nice day about the kid. Most communions and conformations seem to be an excuse for the adults to have piss up while the kid sits around looking bored (or running around the bar annoying me). At least take them to Trabolgan or something :pac:

Tbh, I wouldn't even people doing for the sake of tradition or having a "nice day out" if they actually made the nice day about the kid. Most communions and conformations seem to be an excuse for the adults to have piss up while the kid sits around looking bored (or running around the bar annoying me). At least take them to Trabolgan or something :pac:

Didn't go to granddaughter's - took her to Disney for Easter. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Didn't go to granddaughter's - took her to Disney for Easter. :cool:

I'd actually be interested in carrying out a survey with a school class due to make their communion,

Would they:
    1. Like to make their communion
    2. Like to goto Disney land.

I'm sure the answer would be interesting (also predictable) and it would certainly kill of the idea that they need their princess/prince day, :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd actually be interested in carrying out a survey with a school class due to make their communion,

Would they:
    1. Like to make their communion
    2. Like to goto Disney land.

I'm sure the answer would be interesting (also predictable) . . .
    Perfectly predicatable. The answer would be "both". No eight-year-old could understand, much less accede to, the monstrous injustice of being forced to choose between two pleasures.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Perfectly predicatable. The answer would be "both". No eight-year-old could understand, much less accede to, the monstrous injustice of being forced to choose between two pleasures.

I think its far more likely they'd opt for the real Mickey Mouse, instead of the Mickey Mouse religious event,

I think its far more likely they'd opt for the real Mickey Mouse, instead of the Mickey Mouse religious event,
    You need to meet more eight-year olds!

Also, if you have indoctrinated your eight-year-old to think that Mickey Mouse is real, I have some biblical literalist fundamentalists I'd like you to meet. You guys have a lot in common!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Shouldn't they be preparing for their communion/confirmation in their own time and not while at school? Sunday school should be developed for religion and leave real school to learning real things.

traprunner wrote: »
    Shouldn't they be preparing for their communion/confirmation in their own time and not while at school? Sunday school should be developed for religion and leave real school to learning real things.
    The time they're at school is their own time, trap. Did you think it belonged to someone else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

The time they're at school is their own time, trap. Did you think it belonged to someone else?

I suppose it's down to interpretation. If a child is not at school or misses school often then the parent(s) could face court. I think one could argue that time at school is not their own as a result.

It belongs to the school. Just as when you're in work the time belongs to work, you can't do whatever you want with it.

At the moment we have children being taken out of school for large periods of time in 2nd and 6th class to prepare for communion and confirmation. Meanwhile 10% of Irish children have serious difficulty reading or writing, and that number goes up to 30% in some areas*. It would be better for them to not miss large swathes of school time and instead to prepare for the sacraments outside of school hours.

*http://www.education.ie/en/publications/policy-reports/lit_num_strategy_full.pdf

I'd put money on they'd prefer to go to the Natural History Museum or Foto Island over a communion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I'd put money on they'd prefer to go to the Natural History Museum or Foto Island over a communion.

Would you put as much money on as they're likely to make from their communion? If not, I suspect they may still choose the communion.....

You need to meet more eight-year olds!

Was that a recruitment slogan for the priesthood at one stage?
    Also, if you have indoctrinated your eight-year-old to think that Mickey Mouse is real, I have some biblical literalist fundamentalists I'd like you to meet. You guys have a lot in common!

But I believe Mickey Mouse is real. A trip to Disney land will prove this (at least we have some bloke in a suit). Maybe the fundies should set up Jesusworld and we could meet Big J.

• Advertisement
Advertisement