Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service bashing sticks at the ready, call to "benchmark pay again"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Einhard wrote: »
    Wow, clever. My point was that I have taken cuts already, whereas the common meme is that I haven't.

Also, June, July, and August, won't pay my bills.

Also, because of cutbacks, even if I do get a job on qualification, it'll be very unlikely that it'll be permanent, meaning I won't get paid for June, July, and August. I'll be working during those months though.

Anyway, nice attempt at a smart arse answer. Came across as silly and glib more than anything else.

You've had cuts . . . . hmmm
    Where I work 3 quarters of us got laid off in 2009 & the remainder have had 25% pay cuts.
    Hearing the Public Service hark on about their pension contribution does my head in, I've been paying 8% into one for the past 13 years & it would have done better if I'd put it in the credit union.
    Meanwhile your elder colleagues were looking forward to a €30k pension with their golden handshake after contributing nothing.
    It annoys me & should annoy you too.

Hopefully a mass exodus of this protectionist class may force the government to lift the embargo.
    I hope you fare well in the full-time hiring process.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

longshanks wrote: »
    Ok, but first tell us a little bit about your arse.

Private sector already taking it up the arse thanks to our PS who are entitled not to do their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭SeanW

Loads of public sector folk have lost their jobs too mate. Would it make you happier if loads more lost their jobs too?
    If they are civil servants or useless administrators, yes.
    The Civil Service were recruiting there last week, only 3,200 people went for the jobs, they were disgusted given that there's 450,000 unemployed so even if we take it that ALL those applicants were unemployed (which they obviously aren't) then 149 out of every 150 unemployed people weren't bothered applying.
    For how many jobs? What were the requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Where I work 3 quarters of us got laid off in 2009 & the remainder have had 25% pay cuts.
    Hearing the Public Service hark on about their pension contribution does my head in, I've been paying 8% into one for the past 13 years & it would have done better if I'd put it in the credit union.
    Meanwhile your elder colleagues were looking forward to a €30k pension with their golden handshake after contributing nothing.

Hopefully a mass exodus of this protectionist class may force the government to lift the embargo.

Thank you for proving my earlier post.

Brilliant! The simple rule of thumb when it comes to portraying the public sector versus the private sector is inherent in that e-mail... and is as follows:

Take the BEST case scenario within the public service and make believe that everyone in the public sector has similar pay and conditions (in this case that we all get paid over 200k or think it's small beans to be earning).

Then you take the WORST case scenario with the private sector and make believe that everyone in the private sector has similar pay and conditions.

By the way... explain your pension comments because it doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about which isn't surprising seeing as the public are fed lies on an almost daily basis.

bonzos wrote: »
    Private sector already taking it up the arse thanks to our PS who are entitled not to do their jobs

You see this is the kind of narrow minded rubbish that we get hit with every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

In the real world in the private sector, last week i took in 30 euro, the week before, 80 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

The Civil Service were recruiting there last week, only 3,200 people went for the jobs, they were disgusted given that there's 450,000 unemployed so even if we take it that ALL those applicants were unemployed (which they obviously aren't) then 149 out of every 150 unemployed people weren't bothered applying.

That was discussed here in the Work & Jobs forum. Apparently those jobs were mainly niche roles that 99% of the 450k on the dole would not have been qualified to do anyway.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77034426

That was discussed here in the Work & Jobs forum. Apparently those jobs were mainly niche roles that 99% of the 450k on the dole would not have been qualified to do anyway.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77034426

You're right, seems like a niche role alright.

galwayrush wrote: »
    In the real world in the private sector, last week i took in 30 euro, the week before, 80 euro.

I must be missing the point here... what is the point you're making?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

There is a widespread belief that, particularly when pension entitlements and job security are taken into account, public employees in Ireland are still better off than their private sector neighbours.

^ Indo hack\wanker speak for "We have no tangible proof, etc"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

galwayrush wrote: »

You mustn't be much good in the sack if that is all you made in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Big thick Bertie gave the public sector 20% benchmarking increases in 2003. Big thick Mary O'Rourke gave the ESB 15% wage increases, no questions asked. The two of them should be put into stocks and rotten fruit thrown at them in every village green in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 51,524 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Big thick Bertie gave the public sector 20% benchmarking increases in 2003. Big thick Mary O'Rourke gave the ESB 15% wage increases, no questions asked. The two of them should be put into stocks and rotten fruit thrown at them in every village green in Ireland

What ? You want to feed Mary !! Again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Ally Dick wrote: »

Well done for picking a percentage from your hole.

Have you actually read either of the benchmarking reports?

There were hundreds of different job grades assessed. Some got large percentage rises whilst others got minimal ones.

Looks like Big thick Bertie has a new companion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Feeona wrote: »
    I bagsy the 'arse baring' side

i bagsy the arse riding style :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

As a teacher, I say bring it on. Sort this once and for all.

Those people who trot out the line that the (insert public service job here) get better paid that other countries neglect to mention that almost EVERY job in Ireland is better paid than other countries, likewise social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Any proper conversation should at least include some up to date figures

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/2011/earnlabcosts_q32011.pdf

Go nuts.

Now I like a bit of Public Service bashing as much as the next man.
    I do admire those who come on to defend the indefensible.
    I sense that some of them are as frustrated as us with their upper echelons who are on a multiple of their salary just based on time served & not ability or dedication.

I sense that some of them are as frustrated as us with their upper echelons who are on a multiple of their salary just based on time served & not ability or dedication.

ALL promotions in the Civil Service are on merit.

The people at the very top of the CS would actually earn multiples of what they're on if they were in the private sector.

If you want to argue using facts let's go otherwise keep buying and believing the Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

efb wrote: »
    i bagsy the arse riding style :D

Sorry I'm on a promise to longshanks :o (I hope he lives up to his name godammit)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Feeona wrote: »
    Sorry I'm on a promise to longshanks :o (I hope he lives up to his name godammit)

Well if he doesn't - call me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

So what you're saying is that we've both received an approx 25% reduction in earnings over the past two years? And yet you're on here having a go? This illustrates the double standards in the debate: you receive cutbacks and shout it to the rooftops, I receive similar cutbacks and its ignored. You receive cutbacks in a sector where many have escaped them; I receive them in a sector where everyone has taken some hit. And yet you blather on about the sufferings of the private sector while negating the cutbacks suffered by the private sector.

Again, I'm not here to defend the PS per se, but rather to defend it against sweeping generalisations and ill-considered attacks.

So what? It was part of our terms and conditions and it was changed, resulting in a significant reduction in our take home pay. We're essentially paying on average 10% more for the same service. Pensions are still an attractive aspect of the PS, and I'm not moaning about the levy, but it's absurd to pretend that it wasn't a cut.

It doesn't annoy me that blocklayers earned up to €100 000 pa at the height of the boom, and it doesn't annoy me that teachers received high wages either. I think, in both cases, the wages were too high and had to come down, but why would I attack individual members of each for taking what was offered?

I do consider that teaching (and other) Unions have to bear a significant part for their actions during the Celtic Tiger, but it could hardly be expected that an individual teacher or blocklayer or whatever would voluntarily return pay increases to the exchequer which is what some here appear to expect.

Why thank you.

Just for the sake of it?

In afirness, i don't think anyone in this thread has done any such thing. Indeed, I've merely pointed out that I've received the same cutbacks as you. How is it that your experiences of austerity are legitimate concerns, but mine aren't?

I'm frustrated with some aspects of the PS to be sure. I started a thread criticising teaching unions in the education forum back in Septermber where I ventedsome of those frustrations. I'm nore frustrated however by those who use the pretence of a debate on the public sector as an excuse to mindlessly attack the public sector, without any recourse to stats or evidence. When I'm teaching English or History I constrantly emphasise the need for evidence to back points or arguments- it appears that some on here obviously had teachers who didn't share my approach to those subjects! :D

ALL promotions in the Civil Service are on merit.

Say it again out loud with a straight face.
    The people at the very top of the CS would actually earn multiples of what they're on if they were in the private sector.

It's a bit early for scotch old bean.
    If you want to argue using facts let's go otherwise keep buying and believing the Independent.

We all have bad days at the office, you were better than this yesterday.
    Deep breath, clear head & try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From an economic perspective everyone should be paid as little as possible. That includes everyone from binmen to bureaucrats to company directors, regardless of which sector they work in. Any other approach fails in the long run.

As I understand it, the public sector has very little churn of permanent staff, except under the exceptional circumstances we have at the moment with people retiring early due to changes in Ts&Cs. This makes it very difficult to adjust wages over time to take account of changes in the job markets as happens with the more dynamic parts of the private sector (e.g. IT).

I don't know whether more churn is the solution, but if it isn't, then there ought to be some other more public-service-y method for adjusting wage levels to strike the right balance between underpay (can't recruit quality staff) and overpay (sucks talent from the private sector, gives crappy value for money, damages public finances).

Ironically, the part of the public service where there is the greatest scope for applying private sector HR practices is in dealing with highly qualified medical professionals, e.g. hospital consultants. There is a very dynamic global market in these skills, and consultants are big and ugly enough to fight their corners individually without needing the defence of unions. And yet we grossly overpay these people. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Wow, clever. My point was that I have taken cuts already, whereas the common meme is that I haven't.

Also, June, July, and August, won't pay my bills.

Also, because of cutbacks, even if I do get a job on qualification, it'll be very unlikely that it'll be permanent, meaning I won't get paid for June, July, and August. I'll be working during those months though.

Anyway, nice attempt at a smart arse answer. Came across as silly and glib more than anything else.

How have you taken cuts? As far as I can make out from your posts you haven't qualified yet so therefore it would be impossible for you to take a cut as you don't have a job.

Say it again out loud with a straight face.

It's a bit early for scotch old bean.

We all have bad days at the office, you were better than this yesterday.
    Deep breath, clear head & try again.

Counter my arguments then.

1. Every position within the Civil Service is filled by competitive interview.

2. Given that top Civil Servants have thousands of staff, annual turnover/budgets in the billions, and are responsible for running a country not one of them is paid more than 200k. Someone doing their job in the private sector would be paid multiples of what they're on.

How have you taken cuts? As far as I can make out from your posts you haven't qualified yet so therefore it would be impossible for you to take a cut as you don't have a job.

When I get a job, my wages will be at least 23% lower than I would have received 2 years ago, and 10% lower than another teacher doing the exact same job who happened to qualify a year before me. They're cuts in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

When I get a job, my wages will be at least 23% lower than I would have received 2 years ago, and 10% lower than another teacher doing the exact same job who happened to qualify a year before me. They're cuts in my book.

If my aunt had a pair of balls she'd be my uncle.

staker wrote: »
    If my aunt had a pair of balls she'd be my uncle.

Nice to know.

By your logic, when I start as a teacher in September (hopefully), I can be singled out for cuts because I haven't had any cuts yet? LOL seems a dubious premise to me!

Hey Einhard, you're 23% down on what you would have earned two years ago, and your 10% down on what the teacher in the next class is getting, but you haven't been affected by cuts so we're gonna cut your wages by 10%!

Right...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Nice to know.

By your logic, when I start as a teacher in September (hopefully), I can be singled out for cuts because I haven't had any cuts yet? LOL seems a dubious premise to me!

I don't understand how you perceive yourself as having taken a wage cut as you haven't started employment yet:confused:
    You're going to feel doubly hard done by if or when there are more cuts implemented down the line.

Best of luck with the HDip? btw!

Advertisement