Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunphy describes Ireland as a Kip, a Dump.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

k.p.h wrote: »
    I would concede that it was probably not the best way to say it, but I would also have no problem admitting he is absolutely right.

Yeah that's it, Parish pump politics on a national level. And the problem is if you don't participate in this type of politics your not in the game at all. The fact that you mention the electorate even imply's to me to me that it is a deep rooted problem with society in general. Obviously not every voter but still enough of a majority for this country to be consistently steered in the wrong direction. What can I say, I only hope.

The problem though is the core of the system. The system in which Ireland was run goes to the foundations... all we can hope for is complete reform and a re-drawing of how the system should be... otherwise we're chasing our tails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dudess wrote: »
    "We should be doing something about it" from people not doing a thing. Always amusing...

But why should they be expected to do something to help themselves? The irony is we got in this situation by handing power to the government and the people who were happy to go along with it now seem to think the government should (can but won't) do something about it.

amacachi wrote: »
    But why should they be expected to do something to help themselves? The irony is we got in this situation by handing power to the government and the people who were happy to go along with it now seem to think the government should (can but won't) do something about it.

In all fairness the menu presented to us wasn't exactly delicious.

If I went to a restaurant serving excrement I'd go home and cook dinner myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

"We should be doing something about it" from people not doing a thing and waiting for someone else to start the ball rolling. Always amusing...

It's getting closer to tipping point imo.What it'll take God only knows. Unfortunately something like a loss of life through unhygenic hospital or a some unknown family evicted and jumped on by the media.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    If I went to a restaurant serving excrement I'd go home and cook dinner myself.

I.e not vote? Either way Fine Gael or Labour were going to get into government

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

TheZohan wrote: »
    To be fair to Dunphy he did say that he was very lucky, he acknowledged that he was blessed with work. He didn't poor mouth at all.

Hes not poor mouth so he shouldnt talk poor mouth. A profesional footballer and a journalist all his life, he knows nothing about real life in Ireland 2012. I dont mind Dunphy as hes entertaining but he should stick with football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

"We should be doing something about it" from people not doing a thing and waiting for someone else to start the ball rolling. Always amusing...

People aren't motivated enough yet to do something.

Here's an example of something that someone posted two years ago:
    Illegal downloaders will be sent a warning e-mail, then a letter if they continue, and finally must appear before a judge if they offend again.

The judge can impose a fine, or suspend their access to the internet.

This will inevitably spread throughout the rest of the EU through ATCA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8436745.stm

Nobody gave a crap, not as much as a single thanks.

And this week.

Same topic has nearly 500 replies, 35,000 views and 1500 thanks(a boards record).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The political system in this country is rotten to the core. People get elected because of who they are, the family they come for example. In my opinion the ministers for a particular area (health for example) should be no more than a figurehead and spokesperson. The person(s) running the show should be absolute experts in the field, appointed on merit and merit alone. Like Dunphy said, Kenny's a teacher, Michael Martin is a teacher. What do they know about running a country!

I know there are civil servants in the background of the departments but they're political cronies. Not absolute experts. We need change in this country but I reckon that it will be at least 30 years before any significant change happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

stick with football ehh ?,not sure about that either.

not to long ago he used to slate the boy ronaldo,as in he was a joke,a ladyboy and famously hailed him a puffball was it,saying he would never make it to a top footballer.:rolleyes:

ronaldo now is only 2nd best to the great messi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

He's one of the few in our national media who will tell it like it is. His salary is irrelevant to this argument. Are you saying that his opinion isn't valid because of how much he earns?

He has experienced our healthcare system first hand with his sick grandson and he can empathise with the average joe on the street. That counts for a hell of a lot in my opinion. Rather than people ringing Joe Duffy making arguments that aren't heard, Dunphy and others like him are in a position to bring the views of the Irish people into the spotlight. We need more of that!

I know what you mean but i dont like a wealthy and successful person turning around and saying the place is a dump when its been so good to him. If somebody waiting for their flight to oz said this it would be more relevant. If he was so bothered he should concentrate on political reporting instead of sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

People aren't motivated enough yet to do something.

Here's an example of something that someone posted two years ago:
    Illegal downloaders will be sent a warning e-mail, then a letter if they continue, and finally must appear before a judge if they offend again.

The judge can impose a fine, or suspend their access to the internet.

This will inevitably spread throughout the rest of the EU through ATCA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8436745.stm

Nobody gave a crap, not as much as a single thanks.

And this week.

Same topic has nearly 500 replies, 35,000 views and 1500 thanks(a boards record).
    But if people aren't motivated enough, why the whingeing and self flagellation non... stop? Why the "We should be protesting" instead of... protesting? Me suspects it's because people who engage so much in the above don't actually have it that bad, and when they say "we" should be protesting, they mean other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm sick of all the people on here, and in the real world, who keep going on about how Ireland is a dump and it's fcuked blah blah blah blah.........

If you don't like it, F*** OFF. Let the rest of us get on with it, we don't want you here, bringing the rest of us down.

Looking forward to all the smart arse replies..................:D
    You remind me of Joe Kinnear! :D

Seriously though. This is no time to be giving ourselves a pat on the back. The country is was a decent semi detached house, then we got the builders in after buying next door but ran out of money while the place was being ripped apart. (Jesus, after that celtic tiger I'm even giving analogies in building terms:pac:)
    At least the other ****ers have been kicked out now, but the pressure needs to be put on the government 24/7 to get things swinging back in the right direction. Sure, it's head wrecking at times, but essential people remember just how much we have been ****ed over here. They're proposing to pay this debt back over a time period where by the time it's paid off, all of us posting will be dead:eek:
    We should probably be rioting on the streets to be honest, maybe in the next 3 years we'll see that happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

No it's not a kip. In fact, it's actually a beautiful country and is regarded as such internationally.

There are a lot of things wrong with this country, mostly **** governments, but being a dump/kip isn't one of them.

I.e not vote? Either way Fine Gael or Labour were going to get into government

No, do something oneself if one is so repulsed by the choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Actually I think he (Dunphy) was involved in some political initiative before the last election with McWilliams.

But if people aren't motivated enough, why the whingeing and self flagellation non... stop? Why the "We should be protesting" instead of... protesting? Me suspects it's because people who engage so much in the above don't actually have it that bad, and when they say "we" should be protesting, they mean other people.

You cynic.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

its just asshole celtic tiger me feiners, the conceited, the dishonest, the hypocrites, the corrupt politicians and the bankers

some day a real rain will come....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

What's so great about Ireland? Is all that's going for it the fact that we don't have war and that we have water?!

Are you happy here?

A lot happier than I would be in other countries.

Not having war and having potable water is, believe it or not, a fairly big massive huge deal, even in 2012.

You don't know the meaning of the word suffering.

Have a look at where Ireland is here compared to other countries: http://www.prosperity.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

This kip is probably the only country in the world that would put up with Dunphys mug getting onto national television :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

What does Roy Keane have to say about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Cicero wrote: »
    Does this thread conform to R&R rules where you have to agree with the OP or does anything go?

It's not in R&R...so, no :)

OP, without the negativity you wouldn't know you were so positive! :D

I like Dunphy and his antics. He's always an idiot who says the most unbelievable stuff.:D

He's more entertaining than the football he's supposed to be analysing.:D

He said these comments with his typical diplomacy. He has a point but his brash demeanour and his reputation for sensationalism will always go against him.

He certainly has a point but the manner it which it is phrased, and the general mannerisms of Dunphy and how he usually posits arguments are always this way. I would agree with the sentiments he is trying to express, he's just not very good at expressing these views in an acceptable or reasonable manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Give Gob****e a job. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

That how the squeeze works though.

Consider this analogy.

A slave owner, he feeds his slaves and give them beds and shelter. This way they don't complain and can still work and be productive. The slaves still still toil and work but don't try to escape because if these amenities supplied by the slave owner were taken away, even for the sake of freedom things would immediately get a lot harder....

That is where we stand today and that is why we are not protesting, we are getting squeezed just enough that we will take it.

1.2 billion of our money just went to private hands this week, and a lot more is going that way. That flexibility that Kenny was talking last night will not be to our benefit but rather the bond holders and powers that be. I think Kenny is a bit dazed by this whole situation. If someone gives you more time to pay something back they are not doing you a favor, they are just making sure they get paid eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

bleg wrote: »
    A lot happier than I would be in other countries.

Not having war and having potable water is, believe it or not, a fairly big massive huge deal, even in 2011.

You don't know the meaning of the word suffering.

Lets not patronise each other, of course I know the meaning of the word suffering.

You're a qualified pharmacist, right? Tough enough job to get into, I'm sure you worked your ass off for it with college etc. But your job gives you a lot more stability than other jobs. There are hundreds of thousands of people out of work, what's the figure now? over 400,000? That's a huge increase from 70 odd thousand during the boom. There are lots of families suffering in this country, just because you might be in a good position now doesn't negate the fact that we have an extra 330,000 unemployed at the moment. That's a lot of people.

some day a real rain will come....
    All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. I go all over. I take people to the Bronx, Brooklyn, I take 'em to Harlem. I don't care. Don't make no difference to me. It does to some. Some won't even take spooks. Don't make no difference to me.

:D

Half that description could describe Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'd hate to think what the people who are pissing and moaning now would have made of the life their parents and grandparents had to put up with.

We think this is hardship? Gimmie a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Lets not patronise each other, of course I know the meaning of the word suffering.

You're a qualified pharmacist, right? Tough enough job to get into, I'm sure you worked your ass off for it with college etc. But your job gives you a lot more stability than other jobs. There are hundreds of thousands of people out of work, what's the figure now? over 400,000? That's a huge increase from 70 odd thousand during the boom. There are lots of families suffering in this country, just because you might be in a good position now doesn't negate the fact that we have an extra 330,000 unemployed at the moment. That's a lot of people.

I think we're on the same wavelength but on opposite ends. Ireland is a good country to live in, one of the best in fact, though it's not perfect. Economic cycles by their very nature are cyclical. Just like the "good times" didn't last forever the "bad times" won't last forever either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'd hate to think what the people who are pissing and moaning now would have made of the life their parents and grandparents had to put up with.

We think this is hardship? Gimmie a break.

"Back in my day we had to walk 5 miles barefoot through the snow to school.. and 7 miles back!!"

'Yadda yadda!

Advertisement