Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Efibre Macroom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The topology has nothing to do with estates or address, its all about cable paths. Fibre cabs are being built beside existing copper cabs. When a cab goes live everyone on the copper cab paired to it is prequalified and will come up as fibre enabled in the number checker. Any houses in the locality of a cab that goes live that still don't prequalify have lines that bypass the existing cab and go direct.

The last dot is the echange. That's located IN the exchange and will be done in some months time. Just sit tight man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Half assed jobs done by a half assed company .

Not at all really. Theyve installed the best of the best new cabs in the format that gets the most people connected the quickest. They werent allowed start direct fed as Comreg had to approve it, thats a governance issue.

Dont be sore about it just because you were unlucky.

LMFAO ED seriously are you an ex employee or something , Almost wet myself with that statement if you are not privy to Eircoms Bully and raged assed behavior, albeit driven by privatization and investors sucking the life force out of its ability to keep up to date and deploy systems that are in toe with the rest fo the world , there are parts of remote africa with better capabilites than most of rural Ireland.

I cant side with anyone who believes eircom have done a good job on anything . Comreg by the way have signed off on the solution for LLU and direct fed (Ages ago)This is bull**** being fed from Eircom as a little waiver to sooth the poeple and areas already overlooked by greed..

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

ED E wrote: »
    The topology has nothing to do with estates or address, its all about cable paths. Fibre cabs are being built beside existing copper cabs. When a cab goes live everyone on the copper cab paired to it is prequalified and will come up as fibre enabled in the number checker. Any houses in the locality of a cab that goes live that still don't prequalify have lines that bypass the existing cab and go direct.

The last dot is the echange. That's located IN the exchange and will be done in some months time. Just sit tight man.

To me it seems really stupid that there are 5 cabinets live in the entiretown even though where i am is in between 2 of them and just up the road someone is getting efibre. I was sold on this package by a vodafone rep thats why im so annoyed been looking forward to fibre for 6 months plus. Eircom are as slow plus brutal with rollout why have it on there map saying efibre isavailable in the town when it fully insnt. They have no idea as well with dates either which seems poor when you ask they dont know. With the direct fed does that means its faster then?

• Advertisement

Huawei products are not exclusively considered the "best" as they ran from Cisco with source code debacles and law suits over IOS and so on . Im still chuckling at the Eircom have installed the best and yet configured nothing .

Yes Eircom are a top class world service titter titter titter...........

dbit wrote: »
    LMFAO ED seriously are you an ex employee or something , Almost wet myself with that statement if you are not privy to Eircoms Bully and raged assed behavior, albeit driven by privatization and investors sucking the life force out of its ability to keep up to date and deploy systems that are in toe with the rest fo the world , there are parts of remote africa with better capabilites than most of rural Ireland.

I cant side with anyone who believes eircom have done a good job on anything . Comreg by the way have signed off on the solution for LLU and direct fed (Ages ago)This is bull**** being fed from Eircom as a little waiver to sooth the poeple and areas already overlooked by greed..

Have to lol at you calling Ed E an ex employee but your right its a joke. Do you know if direct fed is faster and any rough dates when that will be available?

I am fully warranted in labeling them Half assed. The tactics they employ to "STEAL" money from folk who have to move house within contract and so on , I had a buddy apply 2 years ago for 8MB NGB (lol) and he didn't get even 2MB - so i helped him build a case to break contract showing stats at various times int he day line behavior throughput's and so on , The "UP TO" clause they use like loo roll in every situation, I happily undertook this challenge.
    After 2 months of shoddy service hardly any up-times due to state of contention I was able then to poroduce an nice tidy reprot to send to eircom thus telling them they were in breech of contract . Buddy then cancels - that day they put a demand on his account for one whole year of service and took 600 from his account - We then went to comreg matter of days later funds returned in full and eircoms nose smacked for being a bad dog.

Jesus how anyone can talk positively about eircom im at a loss.

You're seeing this from a very biased view.

Eircom have done MANY stupid things, Im with you there. There are plenty of people stuck on small rurual radio exchanges that are boned for any kind of connection, thats really wrong nowadays. Its also worth noting theyve been asset stripped twice before IIRC.

In your situation the problem you have is due to a decision made in the 60's - 90's when broadband didnt exist! Its nothing to do with modern eircoms decisions. Direct fed or through a cab/termination box/pothead, didnt matter then, whatever was quickest to provide. Now it matters big time.

I've tried to explain the technical reasons behind why you're late to get fibre, dBit I dont think you want an answer, you just want to rage at eircom. Thats totally non-constructive but go ahead if thats what you want.

Oh, and one last thing, the eircom you're on about stealing stuff, THATS A DIFFERENT EIRCOM. All of the cabling and hardware is up to eircom WHOLESALE. Its retail that bill you and they have zero influence on where cabs go or who gets upgraded next. Totally off topic.

MrLucid theyll slap you up side the head and call you a silly person as you didn't read the little comment " not all premisis in the fiber area will necessarily be available ..... blaa blaaa bla....." As when an area is made available for something its only half the area ...............(As civilians we know this and are expected to know this **** off Eircom.)

A precursor of "Fine print" before even getting to contract stage lol. When i signed up it never warned me about this issue, It should have else i would have opted for something else. Hell id even go 4g routed to home network if latencies where good enough.

Its the same bull**** tactics they know your on a direct fed when you bang in your number so a flag should go up and warn you - it states free upgrade to efiber when available in your area and not when its available to ALL of your area.

• Advertisement

Ericoms billing department is a direct extension of its main branch they represent Eircom and act accordingly , When dealing with finances they are representing Eircom no matter how many hybrid half breed companies they spawn . Ed i agree with you on 99% of everything you say only not that eircom are a great company . Makes me very Sad to hear a highly intellectual tekkie overcome by branded, oversold and under delivered solutions org.

You may remember me from such banning incidents RE upc cable modem hacking :-) Bliss IRL.

PS the vdsl units for huawei are open to attack and you can do some very nasty stuff to others on the vlans . Plenty of NEW techniques exist for poisoning and uber pownage .

Huawei products are not exclusively considered the "best" as they ran from Cisco with source code debacles and law suits over IOS and so on . Im still chuckling at the Eircom have installed the best and yet configured nothing .

Yes Eircom are a top class world service titter titter titter...........

So the actual hardware, on Eircom is not that good you are saying?

I am fully warranted in labeling them Half assed. The tactics they employ to "STEAL" money from folk who have to move house within contract and so on , I had a buddy apply 2 years ago for 8MB NGB (lol) and he didn't get even 2MB - so i helped him build a case to break contract showing stats at various times int he day line behavior throughput's and so on , The "UP TO" clause they use like loo roll in every situation, I happily undertook this challenge.
    After 2 months of shoddy service hardly any up-times due to state of contention I was able then to poroduce an nice tidy reprot to send to eircom thus telling them they were in breech of contract . Buddy then cancels - that day they put a demand on his account for one whole year of service and took 600 from his account - We then went to comreg matter of days later funds returned in full and eircoms nose smacked for being a bad dog.

Jesus how anyone can talk positively about eircom im at a loss.

You were saying you mate had problems with Eircom what is their minimum speed they are suppose to provide to their customers? Thats good you were able to fight against them, they just don't give clear answers which annoys me, that they can't just have clear dates or better times of when cabinets will be going up and the engineers they send out to do the work just say it lol. Thats madness the greed they did taking 600 but glad he got it back.

ED E wrote: »
    You're seeing this from a very biased view.

Eircom have done MANY stupid things, Im with you there. There are plenty of people stuck on small rurual radio exchanges that are boned for any kind of connection, thats really wrong nowadays. Its also worth noting theyve been asset stripped twice before IIRC.

In your situation the problem you have is due to a decision made in the 60's - 90's when broadband didnt exist! Its nothing to do with modern eircoms decisions. Direct fed or through a cab/termination box/pothead, didnt matter then, whatever was quickest to provide. Now it matters big time.

I've tried to explain the technical reasons behind why you're late to get fibre, dBit I dont think you want an answer, you just want to rage at eircom. Thats totally non-constructive but go ahead if thats what you want.

Oh, and one last thing, the eircom you're on about stealing stuff, THATS A DIFFERENT EIRCOM. All of the cabling and hardware is up to eircom WHOLESALE. Its retail that bill you and they have zero influence on where cabs go or who gets upgraded next. Totally off topic.

If they really cared and wanted to be ahead of the times and be a leader in companies they wouldn't have such a monopoly on the market and have more companies chance to give them the competition so that they in turn keep up better standards. If they wanted to provide Fibre the whole country would have gotten it by now at least some places would have it for years, look at England it has had it for number of years even more rural places have had it longer then places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Comreg by the way have signed off on the solution for LLU and direct fed (Ages ago)This is bull**** being fed from Eircom as a little waiver to sooth the poeple and areas already overlooked by greed..
    I don't think this is true.
    If you look at this doc
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1472.pdf
    8. Submissions should be lodged with ComReg no later than 5p.m. Friday 1st
    August 2014.
    9. ComReg will consider operator submissions, possibly with the assistance of
    independent experts, with a view to taking a position on the proposed
    changes to the CFLMP

So still on trial and taking submissions up to August 1st at least.

jd wrote: »
    I don't think this is true.
    If you look at this doc
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1472.pdf

So still on trial and taking submissions up to August 1st at least.

What exactly is this document?

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    What exactly is this document?

It's about VDSL from the exchange
    ComReg is calling for all interested operators to submit the results of their
    analyses and corresponding interpretation of the output of this trial and the
    laboratory tests completed to date, specifically in relation to the proposal
    under consideration: to allow the current cabinet based VDSL services to be
    launched from the exchange or Central Office.

It's about VDSL from the exchange

I don't get what that means in relation to this thread though could you go into a bit more detail with it please, thank you :)

• Advertisement

I don't get what that means in relation to this thread though could you go into a bit more detail with it please, thank you :)
    Efibre is eircom retail's branded VDSL. So what was introduced to this thread earlier was that some people cannot get efibre/vdsl as they are connected directly to the exchange. It appears from that document that the solution still has to be tested/agreed/signed off by the regulator, eircom wholesale, and the retail ISPs

Efibre is eircom retail's branded VDSL. So what was introduced to this thread earlier was that some people cannot get efibre/vdsl as they are connected directly to the exchange. It appears from that document that the solution still has to be tested/agreed/signed off by the regulator, eircom wholesale, and the retail ISPs

So from what you are saying that we may be able to get Efibre from one of the 5 live cabinets rather then wait on the direct fed one?

So from what you are saying that we may be able to get Efibre from one of the 5 live cabinets rather then wait on the direct fed one?
    No - this document is about vdsl from the exchange.

No - this document is about vdsl from the exchange.
    Does it mean that if we are in the area of the current 5 cabinets we will get fibre soon or have to wait?

Hey MrLucidLJ any and all hardware made for any purpose eventually will be vulnerable in some way as hackers bang away at firmwares and various other avenues of attack to defeat any given piece of hardware's purpose . The Huawei products are as good if im honest as Cisco but certainly not world class . Huge ISP's use that equip as its coming in on cheaper scale than the cisco offerings or other brands , so cheap is the reason we are seeing Huawei . Smart telecom use it Eircom , vodafone the whole 9 yards and its again due to pricing structures.

There is in existence today a plethora of techniques to attack users on any switching gear/stack you just need to sniff long and hard to get the aroma of your surroundings. VDSL hacks are in the wild and with any platform you can do some seriously nasty stuff .

Did you know that on upc once you get a clone up and running you can then sniff all and everyone's traffic on the network ( Google docsis 3.0 ssl cert injection ) The upc networks store their public password for sealing the docsis config file in the readable file itself (Public string) and with this you can force access to the network cloning others that pay in essence you can get anonymous access at the cost of someone else. Docsis and upc's implementation of it, is not safe currently.

Hey MrLucidLJ any and all hardware made for any purpose eventually will be vulnerable in some way as hackers bang away at firmwares and various other avenues of attack to defeat any given piece of hardware's purpose . The Huawei products are as good if im honest as Cisco but certainly not world class . Huge ISP's use that equip as its coming in on cheaper scale than the cisco offerings or other brands , so cheap is the reason we are seeing Huawei . Smart telecom use it Eircom , vodafone the whole 9 yards and its again due to pricing structures.

There is in existence today a plethora of techniques to attack users on any switching gear/stack you just need to sniff long and hard to get the aroma of your surroundings. VDSL hacks are in the wild and with any platform you can do some seriously nasty stuff .

Did you know that on upc once you get a clone up and running you can then sniff all and everyone's traffic on the network ( Google docsis 3.0 ssl cert injection ) The upc networks store their public password for sealing the docsis config file in the readable file itself (Public string) and with this you can force access to the network cloning others that pay in essence you can get anonymous access at the cost of someone else. Docsis and upc's implementation of it, is not safe currently.

So some of the big companies are going for a cheaper option with HUAWEI, but you reckon not world class equipment but decent enough to do the job. Thats pretty bad UPC has such easy exploits from what you are saying to attack peoples computers and actually go into them and do as they please. Thank God we won't be seeing UPC around these parts any time soon lol. Any Update with Fibre, you heard anything?

Nadda extended middle finger for us until Direct Fed LLU is deployed.

Cheaper or more expensive is kinda irrelevant with hacking as the most popular hardware often goes down first which can be in some cases determined by cheapness ............... Then on the flip side the more secure = the more expensive hardware will be rolled out by more valuable targets/corporations etc. Its moot kinda i guess.

HUAWEI just aint world class - they already own all they're bases titter titter.

Cheaper or more expensive is kinda irrelevant with hacking as the most popular hardware often goes down first which can be in some cases determined by cheapness ............... Then on the flip side the more secure = the more expensive hardware will be rolled out by more valuable targets/corporations etc. Its moot kinda i guess.

HUAWEI just aint world class - they already own all they're bases titter titter.
    Is there still no rough date on fibre wow. Its so poor there are 2 cabinets near me probably similar for you as well yet we can't get fibre even though someone can get it up the road from me complete joke. And yes I understand what you mean in terms of more valuable equipment is when its tougher to hack rather then monetary cost which is placed on a product

• Advertisement

Nadda extended middle finger for us until Direct Fed LLU is deployed.

Is there a ESB fibre map that I can check out?

Advertisement