Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

that is a very valid and worrying point. I seem to recall that was the reason for insisting on using their gateway and if they send an upgrade it might as per usual do a reset. I hope not and to be honest there should be no reason why it should automatically set to default. I have a netgear with the VF and when the netgear upgrades it retains all settings. but with VF who knows!! and I have forgotten how to bridge!! In fact I had to ring VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

What speeds can we expect the current 50 mb/s and 70 mb/s profiles to be bumped up to with vectoring?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

Just wondering, what are your motives for putting your router in bridge mode?

I got the Vodafone router a few weeks ago and I thought a new router would be a nightmare for a heavy uTorrent uploader like me, but, so far, this is the best router I've ever had.
    ElNino wrote: »
    What speeds can we expect the current 50 mb/s and 70 mb/s profiles to be bumped up to with vectoring?

With Eircom, your stats tell you your "attainable net data rate", which is tech-speak for your maximum speeds with vectoring enabled. Have a read through this thread and look for posters with Eircom as their ISP: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056971854

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Just wondering, what are your motives for putting your router in bridge mode?

I got the Vodafone router a few weeks ago and I thought a new router would be a nightmare for a heavy uTorrent uploader like me, but, so far, this is the best router I've ever had.

With Eircom, your stats tell you your "attainable net data rate", which is tech-speak for your maximum speeds with vectoring enabled. Have a read through this thread and look for posters with Eircom as their ISP: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056971854

for whatever reason my Vodafone modem / router had a habit of disconnecting then becoming unresponsive every exactly 30 minutes, right from day 1. Couldn't figure it out. Engineer checked the line and everything. I called voda and they said they'd send a replacement router, which they never did. In the meanwhile i figured out that putting the modem into bridge mode with my old tp link router worked perfectly. Literally no disconnects in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

For people currently using their eircom or Vodafone vdsl modems in bridging mode, will we have to do anything to be ready for vectoring? I heard that a firmware upgrade would be pushed out when vectoring is enabled and I'd be worried that this would block the bridging mode we're currently enjoying the use of..

f1000 in bridge mode wont be updated.

to get the update take your modem out of bridge modem call eircom get them to push the update when it is ready then put it back into bridge mode

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you get 70mb/s at the moment, then you will get 100mb/s with vectoring.

bk wrote: »
    If you get 70mb/s at the moment, then you will get 100mb/s with vectoring.

Thanks and if you are on 50mb/s? I am only about 50 metres from a cabinet but eircom wouldn't sell me 70mb/s at the time. I guess that I could ask them to upgrade me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

When is this likely to happen?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks and if you are on 50mb/s? I am only about 50 metres from a cabinet but eircom wouldn't sell me 70mb/s at the time. I guess that I could ask them to upgrade me now.

It depends, was it a case that your line was capable of 70mb/s and Eircom would only sell you 50mb/s at the time?

I remember they weren't selling 70mb/s to anyone at the start, but they seem to be selling it now, so perhaps worth calling and checking.

A 70mb/s line should jump to 100mb/s

A 50mb/s line should jump to at least 75mb/s, but possibly even closer to 100mb/s (the vectoring MIGHT help eliminate some of the line noise that caused the lower speed in the first place).
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    When is this likely to happen?

I believe the first few cabinets will start going live at the end of this month. With cabs gradually enabled from then. If all goes well, most cabinets should be vector enabled by the end of March.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

How many cabinets have they built so far?

• Advertisement

My install was done right at the start in the first week and I don't think that they were selling the 70mb/s product to anyone at that stage. I suspect the reason was to do with holding back bandwith for eVision as it definitely wasn't anything to do with the line in my case.

If I upgrade from 50mb/s to 70mb/s does that start a new contract? I would like to keep my options open to see what the ESB do or if Sky do good bundles with their TV when they finally enter the fibre market.

bk wrote: »

I believe the first few cabinets will start going live at the end of this month. With cabs gradually enabled from then. If all goes well, most cabinets should be vector enabled by the end of March.

It looks to be fairly straight forward if it's just a phased software update.

If I were planning the rollout, I'd do fairly random cabinets rather than going exchange-by-exchange as if there was any issue you wouldn't want to take down a whole area's service simultaneously.

I'd guess they'll try it on a smaller number of cabinets first to see how things work and if it's all smooth sailing, the rest will go live very rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I got a call from my provider today to say that our broadband would be down for 10 minutes next tuesday at 00.10 for vector upgrades.

I was also told it would be 1 or 2 months before the upgrade is turned on.

100m/bit has been talked about a lot. Is that all the CPE can actually manage? I had thought it was silly to have only 100m/bit lan on all the CPE that I have used so far on fiber. Of course I will be happy with 100 x 30 but 120 or 130 x 30 would be a really nice headline speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Although I use a mere fraction of my currant bandwidth, I WANT VECTORING NOW!

Praetorian who are you with and where are you? roughly. It does not make sense for an ISP to ring ie could be in the thousands!! Did you ask what they were going to do? viz, update software or fiddle with cabinet?

We are all really interested.

gb-

Ill pm you gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Praetorian wrote: »
    Ill pm you gb.

Why the PM? How are they going to implement it? Did you ISP tell you?

I think they are doing it via a software patch as the call was about several lines all on different cabs in the same town! I am looking forward to faster upload speeds again. As I'm uploading a lot of 4k high frame rate ridiculously big video files from alexa and red cameras! At least it's actually possible now :)

Don't think we received any notifications here about anything yet.

its possible its only for business customers and no doubt they will get priority ie the ISP will make sure vectoring works properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    its possible its only for business customers and no doubt they will get priority ie the ISP will make sure vectoring works properly.

The whole cabinet has to be switched to vectoring at the same time.

100m/bit has been talked about a lot. Is that all the CPE can actually manage? I had thought it was silly to have only 100m/bit lan on all the CPE that I have used so far on fiber. Of course I will be happy with 100 x 30 but 120 or 130 x 30 would be a really nice headline speed :)

Well the Eircom router and I believe the Vodafone router both have Gigabit LAN so they are capable of ore then 100mb/s

I hear that they have actually been able to get 130mb/s out of short distance lines, however it is likely that they are only going to sell them as 100mb/s

They do the same at the moment, my parents line is capable of 100mb/s without vectoring (they are about 10 meters from the exchange). But Eircom/Vodafone only sells 70mb/s to them on the line.

BTW It seems that vectoring won't bring any increase in upload speed, it maxes out at 20mb/s even with vectoring.

One thing I've noticed in recent days has been my ping time's dropped significantly (well under 10ms to Vodafone and Digiweb speedtest.net servers).

Any idea why that would be? Speed hasn't changed we basically get 40MBit/s due to distance to cab.

Unlikely to be anything to do with vectoring? Or maybe they've just improved the backhaul?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SpaceTime wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed in recent days has been my ping time's dropped significantly (well under 10ms to Vodafone and Digiweb speedtest.net servers).

Any idea why that would be? Speed hasn't changed we basically get 40MBit/s due to distance to cab.

Unlikely to be anything to do with vectoring? Or maybe they've just improved the backhaul?

Changes in big iron routing most likely. Your assigned BRAS might have changed even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I've noticed that the SNR on my Vodafone 70Mb line here in Greystones, Wicklow (LLU exchange) has improved from 14.5dB to 17.3dB downstream and from 15.1dB to 16.1dB upstream in the past couple of days. This is since a brief DSL outage at 6.20am on the 11th (not the normal IP address refresh). Sync speed is 71679 (was 71678) up and 20478 (was 20479) down. I'm wondering if they are testing the vectoring SNR impact prior to switching on the higher speeds? This is an almost doubling of my downstream SNR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is 20Mb up the fastest possible even with Vectoring? I have Sky so all this makes no difference to me anyway but I can dream... :(

Bk

"Connected Disconnected Disconnected Disconnected
    100Full Auto Auto Auto "

copy and paste from my vodafone hg658c. I think all the ports are 100m/bit. Would love to be wrong.

AlanS181824,

more than 20m/bit is definitely possible. even without vectoring I reckon my own line can do 30m/bit up. There is a lot of talk about vectoring enabling upto 40m/bit up...now that would be nice.

SpaceTime,

That is a really nice ping! I'm on vodafone and the best i get is 16-20ms. I long for the old days ping times (gdmt) sub 10 ms to Irish servers and 12-14 to the UK. Hopefully we'll all get some latency optimisation. I don't understand why the error correction is set so high, on very strong lines.

Fat-Tony,

There can be a natural rise and fall of the snr figures due to a few different factors. But you well could be right! I'll watch out for changes on my stats next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

@Praetorian - your quoting doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps you are cutting off the quote tags?

As regards the SNR - a small change might be due to localised factors, but a doubling is unlikely I would think.

SpaceTime,

That is a really nice ping! I'm on vodafone and the best i get is 16-20ms. I long for the old days ping times (gdmt) sub 10 ms to Irish servers and 12-14 to the UK. Hopefully we'll all get some latency optimisation. I don't understand why the error correction is set so high, on very strong lines.

That's over WiFi (It drops to about 6-7ms on wired and closer to the full 40mbit/s)

3309055108.png
    --- www.google.com ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 10.903/12.939/14.048/1.006 ms

Our speed's not exactly blazing fast as we're quite a bit away from the cabinet, hopefully vectoring might see a bit of a speed-up.

• Advertisement

how do you get those pings?? Mine are 35ms and speed is slightly faster down than yours but your upload is faster. I am about 800m from cabinet.

Advertisement