Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fernando Torres

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

His general play has been very good during his goal shortages imo. His movement and link up play is far better than Ba imo and he still has the potential to catch fire and have another big season if he's trusted, which he wont be at Chelsea when they bring in whatever striker they will this Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Liam O wrote: »
    His general play has been very good during his goal shortages imo. His movement and link up play is far better than Ba imo and he still has the potential to catch fire and have another big season if he's trusted, which he wont be at Chelsea when they bring in whatever striker they will this Summer.

They'd be crazy to trust him.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Big Knox wrote: »
    You came in here and dug this up to respond to a 6 month old post with this bitter crap? How old are you, 12? Just be happy for him ffs.

Quarryman in Liverpool dig shocker :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

keith16 wrote: »
    First ever player to win:

World Cup
    European Cup
    Champions League
    Europa League

Mata says hi :)

Also won Euro U21 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Morzadec wrote: »
    Torres can rightly feel pleased with himself tonight.

However, the point still stands. Torres is finished at the very top level.

Many will point out he's had a decent season - 25 goals in all comps isn't too shabby.

I would tip Chelsea for the league next year if they signed Cavani and had Mourinho at the helm. With Torres or Ba leading the line they will fall at least 10 points short.

I disagree. He still has a lot to offer other than goals. He's experienced in basically every major final, club and international, his link up play and hold up play is brilliant. He's not as good in front of goal as he was (granted I still think this is his 2nd best season in terms of goals?) but still has a bit of quality about him. I think Cavani is better than Torres but Cavani has been sick for the last few years for Napoli, ridiculously consistent.

The thing about Torres is that he had 1 really top season and then got sold for a ridiculously inflated price tag. He's always been decent but then when he was sold for £50m everyone expect him to shít goals at Chelsea but that was never going to happen, he got off to an awful start but has pretty much been standard Torres for the past 1 and a half years. He should age well enough too because he's not that fast anyway.

I don't know if he has a future at Chelsea or not. I'd like to think he does because I enjoy watching him play in England. With Lukaku, Ba and potentially Cavani going to Chelsea in the summer then it's hard to know where he fits in. Lukaku will probably be loaned out again, Ba won't be going anywhere and I don't think Torres would be happy playing 2nd fiddle or even 3rd fiddle with a World Cup around the corner.

The thing Torres is better at than all of the players you listed (or at least his track record), in my opinion, is his consistency in front of goal in the big games. Scored in the Euro cup final 2008 and 2012 (including winning the golden boot), for example. For Chelsea he scored last year against Barca in the semi and again tonight. He always takes his chances in the big games well like tonight even if he's not as prolific a goalscorer as Chelsea might have liked him to be. RVP I don't recall scoring much in big games outside of the league despite how good he is (I stand to be corrected but I don't think he scored in the knockout stages of the world cup when Netherlands got to the final, or in the knockout stages of the CL when Arsenal got to the final (might have been injured for some maybe?)). Torres mightn't be as big game a player as Drogba but he is consistent as my piss is yellow on the big stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

"He should age well enough too because he's not that fast anyway."

Are you mad, he had a devastating turn of pace before his bout of injuries. He has already "aged" badly, he should be in his prime now but injuries have prevented that happening and he seems unable to adjust his game accordingly, something like Michael Owen.

However, he could tear it up in another league where physicality isn't as important. The fact that he is still doing well on a European level could be a sign of that possibility.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    "He should age well enough too because he's not that fast anyway."

Are you mad, he had a devastating turn of pace before his bout of injuries. He has already "aged" badly, he should be in his prime now but injuries have prevented that happening and he seems unable to adjust his game accordingly, something like Michael Owen.

However, he could tear it up in another league where physicality isn't as important. The fact that he is still doing well on a European level could be a sign of that possibility.

Yeah, years ago he had pace (Vidic will remember it well). He had a bout of injuries (i.e. hamstring issues) and lost a bit of pace but since then, and in particular this year, he has filled out a bit and has a lot more strength which he uses to shrug people off the ball as he did tonight for the opener. It's one of the reasons his first year was such a flop IMO, and there's not many scrawny lone strikers who hold the ball up well.

I don't think he's aged badly at all. Hampered with injuries, yeah, but they weren't age-related. He's re-adapted, more so to suit Chelsea's style than anything else, and he's still a very effective player. That's why I don't think he'll age badly. I think he's adjusted his game well so I disagree with you there. His goal return and performances under Rafa suggest he's at least close to what he used to be, albeit in a slightly different role which requires different attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

jive wrote: »
    He's not as good in front of goal as he was (granted I still think this is his 2nd best season in terms of goals?) but still has a bit of quality about him. I think Cavani is better than Torres but Cavani has been sick for the last few years for Napoli, ridiculously consistent.

But there, you say it yourself - he's not as good as Cavani and Cavani has been ridiculously good these last few years.

A team of Chelsea's expectations and finances need a player like this leading their line, not someone of Torres' ability.

Chelsea should be up there with the European heavyweights - United, Barca, Madrid.

They need that absolutely top class goalscorer to do so. Where would United have been this season with a player of Torres' ability replacing RVP? 7 goals in the league is way too few despite whatever good build-up play he's been involved in.

Also the point about Torres ageing well - he has already aged badly. Perhaps he isn't going to age any worse as he adapts his game to the pace he has lost, but injuries (and perhaps other factors) have already made him a far poorer player. Did you watch him at Liverpool? He was a different player. He had pace to burn and used it consistently to become probably the most feared striker in the Premier League.

Liverpool - 65 goals in 102 Premier League games
    Chelsea - 14 goals in 84 Premier League games

In other words he's gone from a better than 1 goals in 2 games striker to about 1 in 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Lol quarryman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Yeah, years ago he had pace (Vidic will remember it well). He had a bout of injuries (i.e. hamstring issues) and lost a bit of pace but since then, and in particular this year, he has filled out a bit and has a lot more strength which he uses to shrug people off the ball as he did tonight for the opener. It's one of the reasons his first year was such a flop IMO, and there's not many scrawny lone strikers who hold the ball up well.

I don't think he's aged badly at all. Hampered with injuries, yeah, but they weren't age-related. He's re-adapted, more so to suit Chelsea's style than anything else, and he's still a very effective player. That's why I don't think he'll age badly. I think he's adjusted his game well so I disagree with you there. His goal return and performances under Rafa suggest he's at least close to what he used to be, albeit in a slightly different role which requires different attributes.

His performances in the PL suggest otherwise. Also I don't exactly understand why you reckon his role is different now, he plays as the lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 under Rafa. What's different now is his confidence, speed and ability.

And he used to hold off defenders just fine:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We already have Lukaku, spending stupid money on Falcao or Cavani would be a waste IMO.

With Lukaku, Ba and Torres we'll be well served next year.

I'd more focus on buying a CB then another CF.

The only way I can see a Cavani or Falcao come in is if we off load Torres and I cant see clubs knocking on the door for him even though hes probably playing his best stuff for us since joining.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He cost £50m and he's worse than fricking Giroud. He is a flop. He's got an impressive trophy tally but so do lots of ordinary players; Torres has been living off a reputation built 4+ years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

22 goals this season , not bad , will be used as the no.2 striker next year i reckon

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We already have Lukaku, spending stupid money on Falcao or Cavani would be a waste IMO.

With Lukaku, Ba and Torres we'll be well served next year.

I'd more focus on buying a CB then another CF.

The only way I can see a Cavani or Falcao come in is if we off load Torres and I cant see clubs knocking on the door for him even though hes probably playing his best stuff for us since joining.

Genuinely surprised by this point of view coming from a Chelsea fan. You have stupid money. You don't need to worry about spending stupid money.

Lukaku is an exciting prospect. Certainly good enough at the moment to be a different option off the bench or to play for a decent Premier League side.

Torres still has some ability.

Ba is a decent goalscorer.

None of the 3 are anywhere near good enough to be leading the line for Chelsea and I would be very surprised if you challenged for the league without bringing in a 'marquee' type of signing to improve this area.

Chelsea have the money and the profile to bring in the very best in world football. Why on earth would you settle for less??

To be honest I wouldn't even be particularly happy if Liverpool's striking options were Torres, Ba and Lukaku and we have far more modest aims than Chelsea at the moment.

It's a no-brainer to splurge on a top quality striker this summer. You will back amongst the best in Europe and England with one, possibly winning the league. Without one you will fall well short.

The fact that Lampard is your top scorer with 15 goals says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

FFP and value are just 2 things blocking us going spending the world on a Cavani or Falcao.

Look at the strikers that Roman has bought, its a long list and not very notable, he may not want to spend big money unless the new guy coming in can convince we need a CF to fire us to the top.
    Lukaku
    Torres
    Sturridge
    Bamford
    Sheva
    Kezman
    Mutu
    Drogba
    Crespo
    Pizarro
    Anelka
    Di Santo
    Sahar

If Jose does come in I'd expect him to go and get his own striker, who it will be is anyones guess and will the board allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Chelsea's need for a top quality CM outweighs the need for a striker imo, if Essien comes in or Luiz turns out to be a viable option to partner Ramires then fine but I'd doubt it. With the 3 lads behind him Torres, Ba or Lukaku could really step up if the right player was brought in to playmake from deep imo.

But there, you say it yourself - he's not as good as Cavani and Cavani has been ridiculously good these last few years.

A team of Chelsea's expectations and finances need a player like this leading their line, not someone of Torres' ability.

Chelsea should be up there with the European heavyweights - United, Barca, Madrid.

They need that absolutely top class goalscorer to do so. Where would United have been this season with a player of Torres' ability replacing RVP? 7 goals in the league is way too few despite whatever good build-up play he's been involved in.

Also the point about Torres ageing well - he has already aged badly. Perhaps he isn't going to age any worse as he adapts his game to the pace he has lost, but injuries (and perhaps other factors) have already made him a far poorer player. Did you watch him at Liverpool? He was a different player. He had pace to burn and used it consistently to become probably the most feared striker in the Premier League.

Liverpool - 65 goals in 102 Premier League games
    Chelsea - 14 goals in 84 Premier League games

In other words he's gone from a better than 1 goals in 2 games striker to about 1 in 6.

I agree with most of that but I don't agree he's aged badly. He's just had his second best season in terms of goal return this year. Your stats are skewed due to how bad he was when he first arrived in January which could be attributed to a multitude of factors which were likely mental rather than physical, in my opinion.

Chelsea, with Torres, have had more success in Europe than United have had with RVP. Chelsea are more of a European heavyweight than United are. Benzema leads the line for Madrid, he's not much better than Torres if at all. Chelsea would do better with a Cavani, Lewandowski or Falcao simply because they are in a tier of awaesome players below Messi and Ronaldo. A couple of centre backs would serve Chelsea better than getting a 4th striker... but then again they're Chelsea so they may as well go wild.

Liam O wrote: »
    Chelsea's need for a top quality CM outweighs the need for a striker imo, if Essien comes in or Luiz turns out to be a viable option to partner Ramires then fine but I'd doubt it. With the 3 lads behind him Torres, Ba or Lukaku could really step up if the right player was brought in to playmake from deep imo.

I've read that Khedira may follow Jose to Chelsea but don't know how true that is. Essien could still do a job but I reckon Luiz under Jose's instructions could be a top midfielder playing from deep, already a good passer and is very athletic so would have no problem covering the back 4 well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Chelsea, with Torres, have had more success in Europe than United have had with RVP. Chelsea are more of a European heavyweight than United are. Benzema leads the line for Madrid, he's not much better than Torres if at all. Chelsea would do better with a Cavani, Lewandowski or Falcao simply because they are in a tier of awaesome players below Messi and Ronaldo. A couple of centre backs would serve Chelsea better than getting a 4th striker... but then again they're Chelsea so they may as well go wild.

I disagree.

Van Persie has had one season at United, scoring 6 goals in Europe.
    Torres has had two and half seasons, scoring 6 in the CL and 6 in the EL.

Chelsea more of a European heavyweight than Man United? Don't think so:

United have qualified for the competition a record twenty-something seasons in a row, reaching 4 finals and winning it twice.

With the term 'European Heavyweight', you've to take in a lot more criteria. By you're reasoning, Chelsea would be bigger than Ajax, Bayern and Juventus too.

Also, United have the history thing like all big European sides - Liverpool, Madrid etc etc...

As regards Torres. Good goal tally and good to see him have a decent season. Went for a lot of money and he must've been feeling the pressure.

I don't think he's been a success, all things considered, but he's won himself a few medals and that's will be remembered I suppose.

Don't mean for this to sound like a dig, but I wouldn't consider winning the Europa League as criteria for being a European giant. I mean, Shakhtar have won it recently enough and Braga got to the final a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Chelsea would be bigger than Ajax, Bayern and Juventus too.

Currently, I'd consider Chelsea to be bigger than Ajax.

• Advertisement

I agree with most of that but I don't agree he's aged badly. 1) He's just had his second best season in terms of goal return this year. Your stats are skewed due to how bad he was when he first arrived in January which could be attributed to a multitude of factors which were likely mental rather than physical, in my opinion.

2) Chelsea, with Torres, have had more success in Europe than United have had with RVP. Chelsea are more of a European heavyweight than United are. 3) Benzema leads the line for Madrid, he's not much better than Torres if at all. 4)Chelsea would do better with a Cavani, Lewandowski or Falcao simply because they are in a tier of awaesome players below Messi and Ronaldo. A couple of centre backs would serve Chelsea better than getting a 4th striker... but then again they're Chelsea so they may as well go wild.

1) A lot of goals have come in the Europa League, which is not a priority trophy for Chelsea, and, if we're perfectly honest, is not even a trophy Chelsea should be competing in. Like all of Chelsea's squad, he will be judged first and foremost on his performance in the EPL and CL. He's fallen short again in these important competitions, way below the standards expected of a team of Chelsea's recent achievements and finances.

2) Not really true. United qualified from the group stage - Chelsea did not. United unluckily went out to one of the best teams in Europe. Cheslea beat a bunch of teams they would be expected to beat in the Europa League. Sample size is very small too.

3) Personally I rate Higuain better than Benzema and both better than Torres. But I totally agree with what you say, and I have been saying it for the last 3 years or so - a team of Madrid's financial clout and profile should have a farbetter CF leading the line. In fact their case is similar to Chelsea's. What Madrid do have is a player like Ronaldo who is capable of scoring 50 goals a season. I still think Madrid should try to sign one of the world's top strikers but their situation is relieved quite a lot by Ronaldo's prolific scoring.

4) Here you agree Chelsea would do better with the likes of Lewandowski or Cavani - so I don't really know what the debate is! Maybe Chelsea could do with a CB too (I'm not sure - seems like they have 4 very decent CBs at the moment), they could certainly do with upgrading Mikel. But this doesn't mean they can't sign a striker as well. This is Chelsea we're talking about. Surely they will have at least a £50m budget. They could probably boost that by about £10m of sales. Buy a world class striker for £45m, a very good defensive mid for £15m, add Mourinho and you have a squad easily capable of winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭larchielads

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Currently, I'd consider Chelsea to be bigger than Ajax.
    your not taking what he said into account. what were the words before what you quoted?

1) A lot of goals have come in the Europa League, which is not a priority trophy for Chelsea, and, if we're perfectly honest, is not even a trophy Chelsea should be competing in. Like all of Chelsea's squad, he will be judged first and foremost on his performance in the EPL and CL. He's fallen short again in these important competitions, way below the standards expected of a team of Chelsea's recent achievements and finances.

A lot of Chelsea's issues have been managerial (albeit through the fault of the more senior players and Abramovich). Torres has been decent this year in all competitions imo. His goal return could be better but he's still played well.
    2) Not really true. United qualified from the group stage - Chelsea did not. United unluckily went out to one of the best teams in Europe. Cheslea beat a bunch of teams they would be expected to beat in the Europa League. Sample size is very small too.

Chelsea won the champions league last year and Torres had quite a bit to say in that win even if he played a bit part for the semis and final. United got knocked out in the last 16 and RVP wasn't particularly good, he fluffed a decent chance IIRC. United got knocked out by Bilbao last year (no RVP but I'm not just comparing the two, RVP is better anyway) and City didn't do well either, it's still a hard competition to win and Torres played a massive part in Chelsea winning it this year even if they shouldn't be in it in the first place.
    3) Personally I rate Higuain better than Benzema and both better than Torres. But I totally agree with what you say, and I have been saying it for the last 3 years or so - a team of Madrid's financial clout and profile should have a farbetter CF leading the line. In fact their case is similar to Chelsea's. What Madrid do have is a player like Ronaldo who is capable of scoring 50 goals a season. I still think Madrid should try to sign one of the world's top strikers but their situation is relieved quite a lot by Ronaldo's prolific scoring.

Agreed.
    4) Here you agree Chelsea would do better with the likes of Lewandowski or Cavani - so I don't really know what the debate is! Maybe Chelsea could do with a CB too (I'm not sure - seems like they have 4 very decent CBs at the moment), they could certainly do with upgrading Mikel. But this doesn't mean they can't sign a striker as well. This is Chelsea we're talking about. Surely they will have at least a £50m budget. They could probably boost that by about £10m of sales. Buy a world class striker for £45m, a very good defensive mid for £15m, add Mourinho and you have a squad easily capable of winning the league.

Not much of a debate alright, basically fairly unanimous agreement with minor differences of opinion :P I agree with Mikel as well, I posted above that Jose is reported to want to bring Khedira to Chelsea so that would solve that issue. Chelsea have bigger problems than Torres because they have other players like Hazard, Lampard and Mata who will get 10+ goals a season each, maybe even Oscar will start reaching those figures soon.

They need a centre back or two more than they need a striker I think. Granted the difference Cavani would make would be massive but if it was a choice between 2 centre backs and a striker if I was a Chelsea fan I'd rather the 2 centre backs. Lukaku and Ba have around ~15 goals a year for lesser clubs so no reason why they can't push on to 20+. Terry is still quality but he's injured a good bit, Luiz doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes defensively so should be pushed up to midfield, Cahill is suspect and Ivanovic seems to do his best stuff from full back. Even with Mourinho and no signings they should be challenging next year.

All this discussion is rather pointless anyway because they can just buy centre backs, a defensive midfielder and a striker it's not like they have to choose :p

I disagree.

Van Persie has had one season at United, scoring 6 goals in Europe.
    Torres has had two and half seasons, scoring 6 in the CL and 6 in the EL.

Chelsea more of a European heavyweight than Man United? Don't think so:

United have qualified for the competition a record twenty-something seasons in a row, reaching 4 finals and winning it twice.

With the term 'European Heavyweight', you've to take in a lot more criteria. By you're reasoning, Chelsea would be bigger than Ajax, Bayern and Juventus too.

Also, United have the history thing like all big European sides - Liverpool, Madrid etc etc...

Don't mean for this to sound like a dig, but I wouldn't consider winning the Europa League as criteria for being a European giant. I mean, Shakhtar have won it recently enough and Braga got to the final a couple of years ago.

I don't support anyone I'm neutral so it's not a dig to me anyway. United couldn't win it last year nor could City. It's still a tough competition to wi and winning any european club tournament is worth something.

"With the term 'European Heavyweight', you've to take in a lot more criteria. By you're reasoning, Chelsea would be bigger than Ajax, Bayern and Juventus too."

Chelsea are bigger than Ajax and Juventus, imo. When I say heavyweight I mean their recent record not their history or fanbase. I was thinking about the last decade but it could be argued that Uniteds record is better than Chelsea's, there isn't much between them. I think Chelsea's team have the potential to do better than United's in Europe over the coming years also but that's just one man's opinion. We're largely in disagreement because you base your opinion of european heavyweight very much on history but I was talking about more recent history (United/Chelsea are much the same recently anyway). I wouldn't consider Liverpool to be a Euro heavyweight for example because well they're just not anymore, they're not even in contention for CL places. I'm not saying whose right or wrong I'm just giving the context of my opinion.

Torres has 2 European medals and he's been at Chelsea 2 and a half years. RVP has none and to be honest United don't look like winning anything in Europe for another few years (unreal squad, not so unreal first 11 when compared to other top European clubs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭keano25

He'd make some center half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Always feel conflicted when I see Torres. Loved him as a Liverpool player and hate for what he did to us. Never wanted to see him score for a rival, but my heart goes out to him when it's clear his confidence is shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Low confidence is one thing. But it's now at the stage where he's fluffing chances where it literally would have been easier to score. More a case of outright panic attack in front of goal.

Advertisement