Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Use In Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

bieLUG is good, or more like b.ieLUG? just a suggestion... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

looks grand. what do others members think?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

bielug sounds good to me aswell.

cant really think of anything else that might be catchy... brdlug? brdslug? nah bie wins :D I presume this means they are gonna supply the subsite + mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hrm how about BeerGLUG? Which stands for Boards.iE Educational Recreational General Linux Users Group :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Achilles wrote:
    Hrm how about BeerGLUG? Which stands for Boards.iE Educational Recreational General Linux Users Group :P
    cant see ilug allowing that somehow

id go with b.ieLUG or d-lug (dublin lug)
    assuming d-lug isnt already taken by donegal or some such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

kdouglas wrote:
    cant see ilug allowing that somehow

id go with b.ieLUG or d-lug (dublin lug)
    assuming d-lug isnt already taken by donegal or some such
    Ohhh well :P Sorry it's just that time of the morning and I'm stuck in college extremelly very tired. So guys when all this happens we gonna have regular meets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

So far 11members with two active mailing list topics.

Any chance of posting what those topics are?

NiallB

Niall there are six topics:

Using dial-up with Linux?
    Distro for low spec pc
    Help with Wireless K+M in Ubuntu
    Distro Swaps?
    Linux backups
    Welcome To The Baordsie LUG

You'll find them here:
    http://groups.google.ie/group/boardsieLUG?lnk=li

Right I announced the name change as bieLUG waiting responses if any:

Re: Creation of Boards.ie LUG (BLUG)

Thanks to Joe Barr for pointing out the error of our way re the use of the name BLUG. We've decided to rename ourselves bieLUG (boards.ie) so there will be no confussion with the Belfast LUG. After googling bieLUG and the term linux together it seems to be free. So bieLUG it is.

Regards,
    Jaqian

Also asked for a mailing list & webapage:

bieLUG request to ILUG

As I mentioned in an earlier email we've got eleven interested ppl currently in our LUG and we were wondering would ILUG in its infinite generosity and the spirit of Christmas be willing to help us out with a mailing list and possibly a webpage?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
    Jaqian

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Why do you think there should be a "special" LUG for boards.ie users?
    Why can't you simply join ILUG?

It makes zero sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Because in the ILUG theres so many members that its very hard to get any help/response and theres no regular dublin meetings etc

Because in the ILUG theres so many members that its very hard to get any help/response and theres no regular dublin meetings etc

Well said.

That's rubbish.

Most of the more active members are based in Dublin and the mailing list / IRC channel is very active.

blacknight wrote:
    That's rubbish.

Most of the more active members are based in Dublin and the mailing list / IRC channel is very active.
    Heh woah there calm doen. In MY EXPERIENCE thats what happeded

Heh woah there calm doen. In MY EXPERIENCE thats what happeded

I'm perfectly calm :)
    If you want to set up a mini-LUG with a couple of members you are free to do so, but I can't see the point.

I don't see what the problem is. We're just a small group of interested Linux users some full-time, some dabbling. Think of us kind of like a Linux hobby/club/group. We're just trying to find our way. We're not as up to speed on Linux as most in ILUG that have been at Linux for ages. We just want somewhere to share the buzz & excitement of doing something new and sharing it with like minded ppl and not get lost in ILUG where most that is new and exciting to us would be old hat to experienced Linux users. Thats it IMO anyway.

blacknight wrote:
    I'm perfectly calm :)
    If you want to set up a mini-LUG with a couple of members you are free to do so, but I can't see the point.

Ah but we can so leave us in our ignorance :v:

Thanks for posting the topics guys.

I kind of agree with Blacknight though.
    I can't see where you're going.
    The ILUG is pretty good, though a bit spammy
    on the mailing lists. I also can't see how having
    so many members makes it harder to get help.

This board is fairly quiet, but a lot of people keep an eye on it, and it has a history of good advice.
    Taking threads from here to a google list is counter productive.

Why don't you just get more involved here?
    You've jumped into the two most active areas
    for linux support in the country, and looked for
    members for something that most people felt
    they were already involved in.

That said, you got 11, so maybe ILUG and Boards/Unix are missing something for some people. What kind of things?

Your list could be a useful social list, and there'd
    be a real need for something to organise for example installfests, but even that could be done as a sticky at the top here.

The threads you've mentioned are the type of thread discussed here regularly, and I'm glad to see you also
    looking for feedback on boards.

Interested,
    Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'm also confused with the need for this. Many members can make getting help easier, nat harder. Though this is a clear sign that there could be something wrong with ILUG. Clearly some potential members do not feel it meets it needs.

I propose a new mailing list for new linux users, ilug-newbie. Half of the threads on the boards.ie LUG google group are help-related.

I propose that ilug-newbie be aimed at people who want to hack linux (and the galaxy of surrounding FOSS software), to explore it, to poke it, to make it do what they want, to explore more about how operating systems and programmes work by using linux. This won't be a "How to make the internet go?", "Open blah.conf, put these lines in, reboot.", "Thanks ^_^" mailing list as that kind of 'help' is of no help.

The major closed source operating systems (Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X) hide so much from the user. They don't allow you to get down and dirty with the operating system so you learn so little from using them. One is lost in choice almost, one doesn't know what goes where. I propose that ilug-newbies help people who are unaccustomed to an FOSS operating system.

What do people think? Good idea, bad idea? I'll probably float it on ILUG later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Agreed,again, that a move to a Google Group (Or even a mailing list) is counter productive and possibly even absurd.

Syth, I was hoping that the Boards attempt at a LUG would be newbie-friendly but not solely newbie-orientated. Plus, the term "newbie" has been used as a derogatory term too much (Especially, in LUG circles)

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    Agreed,again, that a move to a Google Group (Or even a mailing list) is counter productive and possibly even absurd.

Well what would ppl prefer? We're open to suggestions.

Syth, I was hoping that the Boards attempt at a LUG would be newbie-friendly but not solely newbie-orientated. Plus, the term "newbie" has been used as a derogatory term too much (Especially, in LUG circles)

Speaking as a bit of a newb (hate the term but hey) it is our intent to be newb friendly as that's what most of us are. While not a complete newb to Linux I am inexperienced compared to the vast majority of ILUG members.

jaqian wrote:
    I am inexperienced compared to the vast majority of ILUG members.

Everyone has to start somewhere and a lot of ILUG members aren't as experienced as you might think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 leesong

jaqian wrote:
    Are there many ppl here on Boards.ie living in Dublin that use Linux? Anyone interested in forming a LUG? I haven't much experience in Linux apart from burning .iso's and installing it but I can download different versions and do copies for ppl. We could pool our experiences with Linux and build on that. Seems strange that Dublin hasn't got a LUG already.
    Count me in..... have been using Linux since 1992, currently working with an Irish company which uses Linux for it products. There is an irish "linux user grouip" http://www.linux.ie but a lot of it is "linux in Irish" which is so boring - as useful as linux in latin (which would be more useful).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

blacknight wrote:
    Everyone has to start somewhere and a lot of ILUG members aren't as experienced as you might think.
    Or as they think.. ahem.
    Ok, it isn't fair to tar with one brush,etc. but the linux community seems to attract and create one of the biggest bunch of ...

Moving on..
    jaqian wrote:
    Well what would ppl prefer? We're open to suggestions.
    Boards.ie ..vBulletin... I don't really see the need for much else!
    If you insist, then I think a mailing list with linux.ie as suggested previously would be nice - if it's a financial issue, then we could see about chipping in and try to make it feasible..

(Not intended as smartass..)Can you explain/justify the need for a seperate system,please?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll say why I joined it instead of going to ILUG.....

It is my perception (rightly or wrongly) that ILUG is a bit.......hard core.

The threads on the list so far have been more informal than threads on here. My replies certainly reflect that perceived informality.

That informality exists here too, and I agree it's good.
    It's one of the main reasons I spend time here rather than there.

I signed up to ILUG very briefly several years ago,
    and unsubscribed swiftly because of the amount
    of irrelevant mail I got.
    I just checked the most recent posts on it today,
    and I see things haven't changed. Personal aggro
    and requests to ban idiots made up the list of five
    I saw on the feed on linux.ie

My main point is about Boards/Unix though.
    Isn't this exactly the place for boards LUG activities?

We haven't had an active moderator in a while due to one thing and aother , but if one or two of us could get modded up, remove the ancient stickies, and handle requests for meetups, installfests etc. this board could see a new lease of life.

NiallB

Yeah I suppose that that could be one of he main problems with here because it has gone so dead.
    Possibly request a few new fresh moderators?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

What exactly is wrong with the moderation of this forum?

Suggestions on a post card.

Paul

niallb wrote:
    My main point is about Boards/Unix though.
    Isn't this exactly the place for boards LUG activities?

I see no prob with that but it'd be nice to our own webpage where we could post info about meet-ups etc and how they went. It would also be great if that was apart of ILUG.

Tell you what, its amazing that there are any LUGs set up around this country at all seeing as ILUG (in their opinion)cater for all Dublin users surely the same can be said for Cork, Galway (interesting to note the GLUG say they're "loosely" affialiated with ILUG, wonder why that is)& Midlands LUGs etc etc? Nobody on ILUG seems to see the need for another LUG and the impression I'm getting off them is that we'd be in competition.

IMO I think ILUG should be interested that users are coming together to organise themselves into a lug.
    We haven't had an active moderator in a while due to one thing and aother , but if one or two of us could get modded up, remove the ancient stickies, and handle requests for meetups, installfests etc. this board could see a new lease of life.

Sounds good to me, where do I sign up. :D

• Advertisement

flamegrill wrote:
    What exactly is wrong with the moderation of this forum?

Suggestions on a post card.

Paul
    Hi beardy mod,
    Hadn't seen ye post here in some time,
    and thought you'd moved on to pastures new.
    There was comment about it a while back.

It's just that sticky that's been driving me mad for years.
    It's essentially been closed since 2003, and even requested to be removed by nils from SELUG.

Replace it with a Boards LUG meeting thread even.
    But, please!!!

Good to see you're still about.
    Quiet but quick responding is fine.

NiallB

Advertisement