Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Anti-male” activist faces court in UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

TRIGGERWARNING!!!!

I may have left off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've heard that nonsense redefinition of racism before all right
    computer says no

I'm not really into arresting people for things they say on twitter but if you're going to, I can agree with her being on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Links234 wrote: »
    #KillAllHumans

There's a massive difference between this and #killallwhitemen. How would you feel if someone wrote #KillAllTransgender ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

#KillAllHumans

Would be more of a species, And TBH that would be self hate would it not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Any man who was genuinely offended by her silly tweet really needs to have a long, hard look at himself. Consider developing a thicker skin, perhaps. And a sense of perspective while you're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RayM wrote: »
    Any man who was genuinely offended by her silly tweet really needs to have a long, hard look at himself. Consider developing a thicker skin, perhaps. And a sense of perspective while you're at it.

Who's offended ? It's a Hate crime nothing to do with offence. I enjoy stupid people thinking one kind of bigotry is ok. Hence happy she is up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I agree it's stupid. Stupid like the world she lives in an propogates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

figured 4chan..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There's a massive difference between this and #killallwhitemen. How would you feel if someone wrote #KillAllTransgender ?

Depends on context, if it's ironic, a joke in poor taste, or is it a serious call to kill all transgender people? Nuance can still be a thing.

Depends on context, if it's ironic, a joke in poor taste, or is it a serious call to kill all transgender people? Nuance can still be a thing.

Yes it can in a conversation, But with no context online in text form not so much.

Who's offended ? It's a Hate crime nothing to do with offence. I enjoy stupid people thinking one kind of bigotry is ok. Hence happy she is up in court.

It's a 'hate crime' in the same way as Baz Ashmawy's 'Fifty Ways to kill your Mammy' on Sky 1 is incitement to matricide. Get some perspective. Jesus wept.

That's the thing, if it's ironic or a joke in poor taste; there will always be at least one numpty that takes it seriously. BS tweets like that serve no purpose, there is no upside, nothing good can come from them.

It's a 'hate crime' in the same way as Baz Ashmawy's 'Fifty Ways to kill your Mammy' on Sky 1 is incitement to matricide. Get some perspective. Jesus wept.

So one form of Bigotry is ok now ? Don't need to get a grip the law is the law one cant pick and choose what kind of hate to punish. All or none that's how it works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i wonder if bahar mustafa is beach body ready

she's got a few months to get working on it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I find it a bit strange that people think that is okay to say what they like about males as they are privileged supposedly.

There was the exact same narrative around Jews. Jews were privileged as they were well off, business owners, money lenders etc.

Be some crack if she ever ends up having a son. Poor bastard, he'll be living in guilt all his life!

Yes it can in a conversation, But with no context online in text form not so much.

Do you call the cops on everyone who says "Eat sh*t and die" or "Die in a fire" online?

Do you call the cops on everyone who says "Eat sh*t and die" or "Die in a fire" online?

Why would I ? One is under the impression I am offended by what she said. I am not. But the law is the law and what she said is a textbook example of hate it mentions Race specifically. Now we cant try people for saying black and let the white comment slide. I would have thought that's not the done thing. Equality and all that. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

No, she shouldn't. It's trumped up bollocks, and reminds me a lot of the Twitter Joke Trial, only less of an issue.

Considering some of the issues you have raised on this forum which you felt were transphobic, I find it a little bit telling now that you feel this is just "trumped up bollocks".

Does hate speak only count if you're in a minority?

She deserves anything that's coming to her.

https://twitter.com/MrNachoBusiness/status/651496041288757248

• Advertisement

I'm not sure the ppl in thread who are essentially claiming that white males can't "really" be offended by this type of thing are much better than she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well, on free speech I would argue she is free to be a small minded bigot. Generally speaking, anyone who feels offended by the concept that some idiot somewhere in the world dislikes them for no good reason needs to rethink their life. She is clearly a despicable human being, but she runs a student union (wait no, she doesn't actually run it) in a university I and most of don't attend. That is the beginning and end of her influence.

But the law indicates she is not free to be a small minded bigot and it is indeed a crime to be such, she of course should be tried and punished if found guilty of being a small minded bigot.

So one form of Bigotry is ok now ? Don't need to get a grip the law is the law one cant pick and choose what kind of hate to punish. All or none that's how it works.

Should Baz Ashmawy be charged with inciting people to commit matricide?

Considering some of the issues you have raised...

I don't believe I've ever asked for someone to be arrested and charged over something they've said on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not a white male so I'm not offended but I am troubled by stuff like this. Any other group and she'd have been flammed for it but men, white men especially, are fair game. Seems like the blokes of today are expected to suck it up because of the sins of their predecessors, because some white men still act like arseholes the rest have to put up with this stuff being acceptable because it's oh so hilarious when they are the butt of the joke......It's not on and I'm glad she's facing the consequences and I don't think anybody will punish her for it but it might make us rethink how we treat men.

Should Baz Ashmawy be charged with inciting people to commit matricide?

Does that fall under what this person is being charged with ?
    complaint of racially motivated malicious communications made on a social media network

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm not a white male so I'm not offended but I am troubled by stuff like this. Any other group and she'd have been flammed for it but men, white men especially, are fair game. Seems like the blokes of today are expected to suck it up because of the sins of their predecessors, because some white men still act like arseholes the rest have to put up with this stuff being acceptable because it's oh so hilarious when they are the butt of the joke......It's not on and I'm glad she's facing the consequences and I don't think anybody will punish her for it but it might make us rethink how we treat men.

If it was Women instead of men there would be war.

If it was Women instead of men there would be war.

#KillAllWomen has been going for a while, very little outrage and nobody being arrested over it, oddly enough.

Sometimes, I could kiss your posts. You're great with the common sense and the perspective and all the stuff we're seeing too rarely online lately.

She's a half wit who's being given a moment in the sun with all this attention. I'm delighted she's getting (at least) a fright with the cops, and hopefully it'll make other drama llamas think twice before they publish hyperbolic calls to extinguish people - meant ironically or not - online.

Do I think she really is calling for all white men to be murdered? Of course not. She's just a self-important dope who believes her opinion trumps everyone elses experience. Much like a large number of AH posters.

• Advertisement

#KillAllWomen has been going for a while, very little outrage and nobody being arrested over it, oddly enough.

I'm disappointed in your posts in this thread, Links.

Advertisement