Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

rear cabin

Evening all
    I have been busy the last couple of days
    Almost finished the front cabin roof
    Figured out how to finish the leading edge, to form the bend in the ply, it has to maintain it’s own shape
    Then I fibreglasses it
    I also started on the rear cabin, I joined 5mm ply, to the existing 3mm ply, by using a lap joint.
    I then sanded the 5mm ply, down to match the bend on the bevel.
    I removed all the existing bungs, and managed to remove all the screws, cleaned up where the screw heads, for the new bungs
    Fitted new teak strips, the original are mahogany, so the teak will stand out well’ when finished .
    Next thing to do is make a new hatch
    Here’s a few pictures of the progress

Evening all
    Almost finished the rear cabin roof
    Fitted new screws and plugged the holes using resorcinol glue
    Also calked the seems’ not with sikaflex but an alternative; a third of the prise
    Looked everywhere for 6mm tape’’ for the seems’ but could locate any
    So myself and the twins [aldi and lidl] came up with a plan’ ordinary masking tape’ and a sharp blade.
    Putting the masking tape over the seem’’ then cutting along the seem’ allowed the tape to drop into the seem a presto release tape
    I was about to give the roof a coat of wood stain’ but it rained, it could only happen to me.
    By the way’ anyone come across a couple of furling systems’ second hand’ let me know thanks
    As they say a picture tells a thousand words

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ametyst sailor

Copper

I am thrilled to see your progress with this project. The pictures bring back the sight and smell of varnish that I associate with these vessels.

Keep it up, you will have the best Ametyst afloat when you have completed the job and when you sail her you will realise that all the effort was worth it!

Kind regards.

A. S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Bet all that masking tape and gloop has Fergal thinking about another wooden project!:pac::)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Bet all that masking tape and gloop has Fergal thinking about another wooden project!:pac::)

Been there done that :)

20130607_144804_zps7e12dbc0.jpg

Evening all
    Still plugging away with the cabins’ however, I have also made a start on the decking.
    I cut and shaped the edge board’ for the port side first; from 30mm teak’ ruff planks ‘
    4mt X 160mm
    You can see from the photos’ since the original edge boards’ were only 12mm thick’
    I thought there would be a lot of waste’ something that goes against the grain’ with me;
    So I tried to cut the planks in half .
    Half a dozen passes true the table saw; raising the blade; 30mm’ at a time.
    The result’ left me with a plank’ 13mm thick, give or take a mil
    A couple of passes true a planer’ and I had a twin for the starboard side, :D
    I have also rebuilt one sliding door’ for the rear hatch’ the forward hatch sliding door, I was able to salvage, I just had to replace the edging, after fitting the edging, I removed the screws’ and replaced them with copper nails’ it gives a nice finish
    There’s still some bits and pieces; like the edging for the rear cabin .
    All these; or at least most of then’ come from what I call the scrap heap, where I put’ all of the cuts off’s; no mater how small; thinking’ they might come in handy’ like the piece of oak; that I will use for the edging’ a cut off from way back’
    It had a natural curve’ that I made use of’ however’ I had to give it quite a bend’ at both ends’
    I used a variation of a Tec nick’ that I had used previously ‘this time I used the electric hob’ :cool:
    Low setting it turned quite well .:p
    I will post the pictures, in some kind of order, they tell the story better than I

New rear sliding door marine ply mahogany and teak

Salvaged door with new trim

Oak Edging for rear hatch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Keep the updates coming please Copper, love watching progress like this.

Evening all
    I have made a start on the decking
    The starboard side is nearly finished except for the stern
    I have tried to keep the joints minimum; the stock I am using is from
    A job lot’ that went cheap’ so beggars cant be choosers; they are one’ tree’ and four’ metres long
    It went fairly well’ except for the blunder, that I made’ along where the king plank; joins the laths. :eek:
    I knew things were going to well, sure it would be worse, I could have fell and lost a Euro :p
    a bit of string, and a sharp chisel, and a hacksaw blade
    Will sort it out.
    starboard side next :o

Herself must have been away if you were bending all that lot on the hob! (Salads for the last few days?):D
    Rs
    P.

Las Vegas hopefully she will win an Indian:D

I have-not used steam’ so far’ to bend the laths
    I have used clamps’ to pull the laths’ into shape, glue and screw, them into place.
    I have broken only four, so far, bending to much, to fast.
    Tree clamps, with a plywood grip, at either end .
    I can move’ one clamp, at a time, provided I screw the lath, on the tight side, then move the clamp’ beyond the other clamp,
    I will take a few pictures of the way I do it, and post them

Evening all
    As promised a few photos of the process
    Since I have only a limited amount of stock .
    I try and set it out; so that I keep the joints to a minimum, at least two laths’ and two deck beams’ apart
    The thickness of the laths; are 10 to 12mm thick and 30mm wide
    Once I have decided witch lath to use’ I first spread the bonding’ then temporally fix either end with a piece of ply’ this stops the lath springing up’ when pressure is applied, to form the bend
    By using tree clamps’ I can pull the lath slowly into place’ lifting the lath from the decking’ as I pull’ then pressing down so the glue stays under the lath and not pushed to the side
    One clamp’ can be moved to tighten up any gaps; as I move down the lath’ pre drill’ then screw into place .
    The pictures below tell the story

Evening all
    I am still plugging away :D
    Almost finished the decking’ bar the shouting
    I just have to plug the screw holes’ and caulk the seams.
    Then Finish along the side of cabins and start on the front cabin roof
    The weather is supposed to be good until Wednesday’ so I will probably try and get the caulking done.
    In between; I have been working on the cabin doors; varnishing and stuff; I also took the heads of the engine’ this time I will take a little more time and effort; and try and get it working
    The valves were leaking like a sieve’ so no wonder’ I could not get it started
    I have ground each tappet ‘
    I believe’ I have a good seal now’ it took a wile to get them right; time will tell if I got them right.
    Also I made up a few gaskets’ for the cam covers’ and the thermostat housing’ I have to replace the thermostat’ but I will wait and see’ if I get her going’ before I spend money on her
    Depending on the weather; I will remove the oil pump; and make some gaskets for it; service, and clean it’ and try and get to prime
    Here are few photos

Great to see the progress! She's really coming together! Are you happy with the stem on that valve in Photo0652.jpg ?? Looks rather (dis)stressed in the photo?

Evening all
    That’s just a suction cup, which allows me to spin the tappet for grinding.
    The first couple of grinds; I’ve done by griping the valve’ in a drill’ using forward and reverse’
    At least a dozen times’ taking of a tiny amount’ at a time’ until all of the pitting from the valve, and the cup, has been removed.
    Then using the suction cup’ attached to a little bit of wood’ I gave it a final polishing’ by hand.
    The valve’s are surprisingly good’ they show very little use’ and can be ground down another few times if necessary’ although the engine is fifty years old’ it looks as if it was fired’ for only a couple of years.
    According to some of the ligature. That I have sourced from the net. I can straiten the push rods’ with a mallet.
    And providing everything runs smoothly then they should be ok.

Evening all
    Because of the weather I had nothing to do but look on the web for bargains
    Thank god for the rain
    I came across a bargain a seized Volvo penta MD2b engine 250euro;
    I got it for 200euro
    Although mine is a MD2 most parts are interchangeable; so now I am even more confident that I can get the engine on the boat working.
    I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet but other than the sized bearings it looks pretty good

• Advertisement

Evening all
    I knew that as soon as I start on the decking it would rain.
    It doesn’t seem to want to stop.
    I am still getting a few things done.
    Fitted the rear cabin hatch’ sliding cover.
    And made a start on the forward cabin roof.
    The engine that I got; because of the rain’ I had a little time to play around with it.
    I took the cam covers off’ to check the condition of the push rods’ as I needed tree’ for the engine in the boat’ however on closer inspection, the valve springs’ push rods’ were like new so I started to have a closer look at the whole engine’ striped it down and after a few slaps of a hammer; in the right places’ I got it moving’ the big end bearing was seized’ so I took this off and cleaned it up; put everything back together’ and I can turn her over ‘its a bit stiff’ but should loosen out.
    I will try and get her to start depending on the weather; if I get her going’ then I will spend a few Euro getting her up to scratch; and fit her in the boat’ she is 25 horses’ compared to the 15, that I have in the boat .

That's great news!:) Happy days! I'd seriously consider having the main bearings relined, they would see you out. If you are tempted to fire her up just make sure she is well free, you don't want to bend the pushrods - or put a con rod out through the block!:eek:

Evening all
    Weather is very changeable right now’ I am like a jackrabbit up and down the scaffold. :o
    Trying to get bits done, in between the showers
    I managed to fit the sliding hatch to the rear cabin; it’s a bit stiff, hopefully it will work itself loose’ after a while.
    I have been playing with the md2b,:p I had a look and cleaned, and greased, the diesel lift pump, water pump, made sure the thermostat was working, and checked the governor, all looked ok. I reversed the impeller on the water pump, so it’s still looking good.
    I had an old fellow’ who has forgotten more about old diesels’ than I will ever learn. Have a look at her.
    I could see his eyes light up when he saw her, if I want to rebuild her something he thinks I don’t have to do; he will gladly lend a hand.
    He thinks I could be lucky, replace the big end bearing, and she should be ok
    I will just have to make sure the oil pump is working, I will strip that next
    At least I have a spear :D
    I have been working on her for just over a year now, it might take another year' hopefully six months.
    But who’s counting it will be ready when it’s ready :cool:

Evening all
    Still working away
    I am working on the front cabin; I have the laths on’ and working on the caulking.
    There’s a lot of finishing attached to the cabin roof’ half way true a job’ I have to stop’ in order to fit something else; goes I suppose with not having plans; or indeed a plan’ just playing it by ear.;)
    It would help if I new what I was doing learning as I go along is great but sometimes it can be frustrating. :mad:
    Well it’s got me this far’ so I suppose I just have to carry on.
    If the weather holds. I should get it finished true the weekend?
    I been playing with the engine. initially it would not turn over.
    However with the help of the largest stencil’ I have, I got it moving’ now it moves fairly freely?
    Every so often’ I connect it to a battery’ and turn it over a half a dozen times.
    Tonight it backfired’ gave me the fright of me life’:eek: must be from all the WD40; I have been spraying around the air intakes’ I am not to sure about oil pressure though. I have to get a proper clock’ the one’s I have are to big for the readings’ I am looking for’ sure I come across one somewhere.
    I will post a few pictures when I get a chance

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You should be able to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge in a farm machinery shop.

thanks for the advice fergal

Evening all
    Just a an update for anyone interested
    I am still at the cabin roof
    I’m still tinkering’ at the md2b’ I have it turning over now by hand.
    The new big end bearings’ came yesterday’ so I will fit them’ before I try and start her.
    Striped and cleaned the oil pump; again’ and fitted another very thin gasket.
    I had intended on building a forty foot wooden mast; indeed I had spent some time researching’ and repairing the original boom.
    After doing the maths; I thought by the time a had everything assembled; I would not have much change out of 1400 Euro.
    So I started looking out for an aluminium mast; for the same money
    If I came across one; I would take it’ if not, then I would go along with building of the wooden mast.
    I got an aluminium spar 43 ft; and boom’ storm sale’ two jib sales’ spinnaker’ and a main sale’ plus all standing rigging . And numerous fittings yesterday; for 1500 Euro; I think I got a bargain

Any advice on the mast would be surely appreciated
    Fittings and such things I should try and get done as it is on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Mast top fitting brackets for wind speed, hawk & vhf aerial aswell as light fittings and any wires that may at least fall with gravity when the mast is lifted to vertical. Halyard sheaves worth a look at aswell. Easier to replace now. If the mast goes inside the boat a seal of sort sort to cover the gap around where the mast goes in. Check over your standing rigging aswell. That will be the most expensive parts to replace. Have a look over your spreaders, and backing plates for corrosion or age

• Advertisement

Thanks Neris for the response
    I need to replace the spreader base plates
    As for the rest if you can recommend anything I would appreciate it
    It will be deck stepped the rigging I haven’t had a chance to look at yet

Advertisement