Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Discussion of the Rules (July 14th 2008)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

5starpool wrote: »
    Seems like the mods just decided though in this case, unless of course they got a PM about the matter advising them which I would find a little odd.

eh... where do you get that out of? the poster formerly known as PSI who's new name i can't spell has already said in this thread that it was at the request of CuLT.
    GuanYin wrote: »
    Incidently, Cult has suggested that more regular renewal of the super threads will help with server load issues. For this reason, the threads will be restarted at certain points (we're either going to go with quaterly or a posting threshhold depending on admin advice).

can people maybe read up on the changes before they start putting a sledgehamer to them? it would be nice if people paid attention...
    IrishMike wrote: »
    No its a question for the mods who decided on these new rules.
    They make no sense if its not a serious server load issue which i doubt that it is.

see above. the poster formerly known as PSI who's new name I can't spell has already given her reasons. this is one for the admins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The rules were edited very slightly last night by GuanYin, My reading is now that:

You can't discuss match incidents i.e. fouls, peno red cards etc that could lead to a one sided debate but you can discuss tatics, subs player performances etc in superthreads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hobart wrote: »
    It's more a question of how it works. Talking about a players form would, in most cases, require some reference to a game. Talking about the teams formation past present or future, would lead to discussion and reference to a game. Talking about a result and how it's leaves us in the league, would require reference to a game. Talking about the CL group, would require reference to games. When is a game deemed not to have started?

For example, if I talk about Liverpool's need to sign a striker and bed him him because of the tough start to the season, am I talking about the matches? If a poster retorts that in his opinion games against spurs, west brom and middlesborough are not that tough, are we talking about matches? And if we are not, when does that discussion begin?

Well my reading, although I'm open to correction, is that we can't post running commentary on an on-going game. That's what I'm in favour of. I agree, if we were banned from referencing past games and players' performances it'd be a little overkill....can anyone clarify this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Well my reading, although I'm open to correction, is that we can't post running commentary on an on-going game. That's what I'm in favour of. I agree, if we were banned from referencing past games and players' performances it'd be a little overkill....can anyone clarify this?

My reading is "1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS". I presumed that meant no discussion on matches.

As for running commentary, I actually dislike the "stunning goal there by xyz" type stuff that crops up, but not to the point where it interferes with my reading of the thread. I also think the discussion of match incidents goes beyond the life of a game (example Rio hitting that woman after a game last season) and do merit discussion on the various team threads.

Another grey area seems to be the idea of "transfer" threads. For example you have a Barry transfer thread alive and well in the forum, while on the Manu thread the Berb saga is taking up 90% of the first 20 posts :confused:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good move imo. The superthreads were being a bit of a joke.

The Rules now state : "NO MATCH INCIDENT DISCUSSION WILL BE TOLERATED IN SUPERTHREADS."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

First off, nearly everything in here was suggested by the users, either in the forums threads or the discussion of rules threads. This hasn't been just made up by the mods.

Look lads, every single rule that ever existed has gray areas. Get over it. The point is a general one.

For the discussion of matches, you should post in match threads.
    For general transfer talk, mostly pre-season, you should post in the general threads.
    For specific issues, like say, should Carrick be dropped, you can start a new thread?

The main complaint in the entire thread about why there should be sub-forums is that currently the superthreads have become so big that they are to an extent, very difficult to read.
    The superthreads have evolved in a way that they were not intended to do. They were meant to mean we would not have 'Eto, Ronaldinho and Henry are all linked to City' threads constantly. They however became more and more common, but with them has lots of difficulties. Aside from the fact that within about 10 minutes of a match, you can easily have 5 pages of posts!!!

Locating everything in one thread is just silly, and theres no real compelling reason for it
    The soccer forum is one of the most busy forums on boards, but its all discussion located within one thread.

And with that, it has problems, primarily the bitching that is constant, and I mean constant, between fans who post in the thread and people who feel like other fans shouldn't post in 'their' thread.

Or the problems with the same topics getting brought up again and again, and again and again. And when they do, the thread gets completely derailed for significant periods. On issues such as how much money Rafa has spent, etc.

And its not at all surprising. People feel now if they started a thread, Rafa is poor in the transfer market, I guarantee you 10 people would post bitching about it going into the superthread. If you posted it in the superthread, then people in the superthread would bitch about an issue clogging up the main thread and the person being a troll.

At the same time, we locate discussion about matches in a multitude of places. If United are playing Villa, you normally have 3 discussions going on about the match, one in the United thread, one in the Liverpool thread, one in the general thread. Then if somebody from the United thread sees something said in the Villa thread that they disagree with, the other person calls them a troll for posting in the Villa thread, and you just have this constant bitching.

People were told to stop calling people trolls, stop telling people to leave threads, but that wasn't working, because there is still this mindset.

All this is bad for discussion, and most of it is at the roots of the complaints people have over the superthreads.

---

So the new structure gets around a lot of these issues.

A thread for each match/group of matches. Liverpool vs. whoever is pretty much going to be a thread every single week. In there you can discuss the tactics for the game, etc. I'd imagine there will be a United thread every week aswell, maybe a Arsenal/Villa one too?

Everything else can then go into the general thread.

A thread for big long transfer sagas, especially between two big teams, ala Villa and Liverpool. People in the Liverpool thread are bored to death of talking about Barry, yet new people come constantly and then the thread gets de-railed for a couple of pages.
    This would solve that problem. Which ones go to a big thread? We'll see. I'd say the is summer Ronaldo to Madrid and Barry to Liverpool would be dead certs. Can't really see too many other examples, maybe Flamini staying or going earlier in the season.

A thread for specific issues. How much money has Rafa spent? Should Carrick be dropped? Can Spurs challenge for 4th? This will take a lot of the sidetrack discussion from the superthread, stuff that people are so resentful about. If you've read this forum for a while, you don't want to have the debate about money. Everything that has been said has been said. If people want to debate it again, let them, but take it out of the superthread.

All this leaves the superthreads. They serve the general purpose: to discuss the transfer targets of a team and where it is going. It means we don't have a billlion summer transfer threads every summer. It keeps a flow and builds up a core of posters. It means if you have a general comment, ala, you think that Young has been playing well lately, you can pop that in. It's a general thread to cover everything.

All the points brought up are basically saying, but there are greys areas, and a superthread does solve that, because well it covers everything. But that problem is a secondary problem! The other problems are much more important. Yes you are obviously going to talk about a match in a general chat about how somebody is doing or something, that's not the problem and to be honest, those objections seem ludicrously pedantic.

The point about the admins one has been confused. The admins suggestion is not the reason we are making the structural changes. We are making them for all the reasons above. The admins point is that the superthreads are bad on the server. How? I've no ****ing idea, and neither do you. It's just something the admins mentioned to us. As such, we're going to lock the superthreads when they reach a certain size so that they don't get too big. That's the admin point, and its secondary to the big discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Superthreadsnonsense.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Your writing blows mick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not even a doctor!

Mike.

• Advertisement

The thing is I think now that its been changed to incidents nothing much will change, match disucssion in match threads, major transfers get a thread of their own everything else that isn't major stays in the Super Threads

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

eh... where do you get that out of? the poster formerly known as PSI who's new name i can't spell has already said in this thread that it was at the request of CuLT.

I had missed this. Perhaps they consulted CuLT about this before, but I still find it odd that it is not a general boards directive if it has much of an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ok, as I said, in principal these should all be good moves. But maybe we need a clearer definition of what a "superthread" actually is. The general run of teh mill thread is created to discuss a particular point / idea / argument. Do players earn too much, is Barry moving to LFC, Should Trap monitor teh EL, etc. Very simple and easy to understand. Matchday threads equally so - they cover a specific match.

But what does a "superthread" do?

Could I (risk backseat modding and an infarction!) and suggest:

Superthreads are a form of team clubhouse. They exist to discuss matches, transfers, incidents, news and rumours from the perspective of a given team. They are open to all but posters should be aware of and resptectful of the thread atmosphere. Any generic conversations on general football or non club specific incidents should be outside the superthread and on the main board

So if a Utd fan wants to make a specific point about Ronaldos potential transfer and how it impacts Utd and thier plans (eg the manager won't get the money because of the debt) then it's into teh Utd "clubhouse" as it's pretty team specific. The discussion is then mostly among Utd fans and those with an interest in the team. If though the poster wants a more general discussion with other fans and with reference to wider issues (LFC being in debt, Arsenal not or whatever) then it's a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Superthreads are a form of team clubhouse. They exist to discuss matches, transfers, incidents, news and rumours from the perspective of a given team. They are open to all but posters should be aware of and resptectful of the thread atmosphere. Any generic conversations on general football or non club specific incidents should be outside the superthread and on the main board

The discussion is then mostly among Utd fans and those with an interest in the team.

I strongly disagree. no area of the forum should be the bastion of any particular fans. if I want to be critical of United I should be allowed to, I shouldn't have to second guess my posts to cater for certain groups sensitive dispositions, as i find i'm increasingly required to on this forum. there are plenty of fan fora on the net to cater for such.

the superthreads are a collection of discussions that all have a common theme, that would otherwise clutter the forum if given their own thread. simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote: »
    Look lads, every single rule that ever existed has gray areas. Get over it. The point is a general one.
    I agree. I don't think it is anybodies intention (certainly not mine) to try and pick holes in the new structure. However, if new rules are going to be enforced, they need to be clear. Making them up as you go along will only lead to the thing that you are trying to avoid. For example, at the top of the new superthreads there is a rule, rule number 1 in fact, that clearly states 1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS
    - Match threads will be created for matches/match weeks where required.
    - Match discussion will be deleted. It would seem that this is not the case. Can I suggest, and I have have read the "new charter" that this new rule is explained fully at the top of the new thread(s) and corrected in ored to avoid confusion.
    For the discussion of matches, you should post in match threads.
    Again, and not picking holes in what you say, what (generally not exactly) do you mean by this? Is it the match coming up this weekend, next week, CL games? If I refer to a game coming up in 6 weeks, is that post likely to be moved to the "game" thread from the super thread when the game is upon us?
    For general transfer talk, mostly pre-season, you should post in the general threads.
    That seems pretty clear.
    For specific issues, like say, should Carrick be dropped, you can start a new thread?
    Again, pretty clear. It would also appear to me that a "general discussion" would also allow for the "carrick should be dropped" kinda comments and this rule may lead to a lot of duplication, but lets see how it pans out.
    The main complaint in the entire thread about why there should be sub-forums is that currently the superthreads have become so big that they are to an extent, very difficult to read.
    I don't really agree with this, and this is a personal perspective. From a super thread perspective (and there are normally only 3) a simple flick to (for example) 2 days ago would normally allow me to refresh on what the users are saying about their particular team. What I would find time consuming and distracting is, for example, to have to look at :

1) A superthread
    2) 1 or 2 Prem Match thread(s)
    3) A Transfer thread
    4) An "incident" thread
    5) A CL game thread

and all on 1 team, in order to get a feel for where the posters think there team is at in any one week. Multiply that by Manu, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal and you get quite a lot of threads. But, again, that's just my perspective.
    The superthreads have evolved in a way that they were not intended to do. They were meant to mean we would not have 'Eto, Ronaldinho and Henry are all linked to City' threads constantly. They however became more and more common, but with them has lots of difficulties. Aside from the fact that within about 10 minutes of a match, you can easily have 5 pages of posts!!!
    I understand that the mods are trying to weed out the perceived distractive nature of superthreads, do you not think that 2-3-4 threads on the go at any one time on a team is even more distractive?
    Locating everything in one thread is just silly, and theres no real compelling reason for it
    But, it's not done that way, is it? We already have transfer threads. Every week we get "Prem Game" threads. When the big 4 are up against one another, we always get a (e.g.) Manu V Arse, thread.
    And with that, it has problems, primarily the bitching that is constant, and I mean constant, between fans who post in the thread and people who feel like other fans shouldn't post in 'their' thread.
    I, for one, don't see how this is going to address this issue. Do the mods think that the size of a thread is directly proportional to the amount of trolling that goes on in it? It doesn't make sense tbh.
    Or the problems with the same topics getting brought up again and again, and again and again. And when they do, the thread gets completely derailed for significant periods. On issues such as how much money Rafa has spent, etc.
    I agree. A simple move would be a lot less work, as the forum stand, than trying to police new rules.
    And its not at all surprising. People feel now if they started a thread, Rafa is poor in the transfer market, I guarantee you 10 people would post bitching about it going into the superthread. If you posted it in the superthread, then people in the superthread would bitch about an issue clogging up the main thread and the person being a troll.
    So my understanding of the new rules is that if people do as you have said above, you will warn and move or delete the posts?
    At the same time, we locate discussion about matches in a multitude of places. If United are playing Villa, you normally have 3 discussions going on about the match, one in the United thread, one in the Liverpool thread, one in the general thread. Then if somebody from the United thread sees something said in the Villa thread that they disagree with, the other person calls them a troll for posting in the Villa thread, and you just have this constant bitching.
    Again, if your motive for this action is to cut out the bitching, it will not work. Can you not see that all you are doing is moving that "bitching" from one area to another.
    People were told to stop calling people trolls, stop telling people to leave threads, but that wasn't working, because there is still this mindset.
    Well then ban or warn these people.
    All this is bad for discussion, and most of it is at the roots of the complaints people have over the superthreads.
    I have to say, and I'm not one for frequenting the reported posts forum, but I see no "huge" volumes on specific incidents in relation to the superthreads on the reported posts forum.

---
    So the new structure gets around a lot of these issues.

A thread for each match/group of matches. Liverpool vs. whoever is pretty much going to be a thread every single week. In there you can discuss the tactics for the game, etc. I'd imagine there will be a United thread every week aswell, maybe a Arsenal/Villa one too?
    Believe me, you will get a multitude of "start a new thread" type posts or reported posts in regard to people talking about games, transfers, incidents in different threads with the implentation of this.
    Everything else can then go into the general thread.
    Fair enough.
    A thread for big long transfer sagas, especially between two big teams, ala Villa and Liverpool. People in the Liverpool thread are bored to death of talking about Barry, yet new people come constantly and then the thread gets de-railed for a couple of pages.
    This would solve that problem. Which ones go to a big thread? We'll see. I'd say the is summer Ronaldo to Madrid and Barry to Liverpool would be dead certs. Can't really see too many other examples, maybe Flamini staying or going earlier in the season.
    Where does a transfer become a saga? I noticed that there was no thread dealing with the ronaldo to madrid thing, and yet there is for Barry. How long before the Berb to Manu transfer becomes a saga? What happens then?
    A thread for specific issues. How much money has Rafa spent? Should Carrick be dropped? Can Spurs challenge for 4th? This will take a lot of the sidetrack discussion from the superthread, stuff that people are so resentful about. If you've read this forum for a while, you don't want to have the debate about money. Everything that has been said has been said. If people want to debate it again, let them, but take it out of the superthread.
    Again, that seems fair enough, but I don't really feel that one swallow makes a bj. A bad performance by Carrick in one game will get the most militant of anti-carrick onto his band wagon, are we going to have one of these after every game?
    All this leaves the superthreads. They serve the general purpose: to discuss the transfer targets of a team and where it is going.
    Again, too general. Barry is/was a transfer target. At what point did he cease to be? At what point did his transfer become a saga?
    It means we don't have a billlion summer transfer threads every summer. It keeps a flow and builds up a core of posters. It means if you have a general comment, ala, you think that Young has been playing well lately, you can pop that in. It's a general thread to cover everything.
    :confused:
    All the points brought up are basically saying, but there are greys areas, and a superthread does solve that, because well it covers everything. But that problem is a secondary problem! The other problems are much more important. Yes you are obviously going to talk about a match in a general chat about how somebody is doing or something, that's not the problem and to be honest, those objections seem ludicrously pedantic.
    Again, your comment might seem fair from your perspective, but then again you would have discussed these with your fellow mods, and so they would be clear in your head as to what you are trying to achieve. If what you are saying and what other mods have said is contradictory, and questioning that is a form of pedantism , well then I apologise.
    The point about the admins one has been confused. The admins suggestion is not the reason we are making the structural changes. We are making them for all the reasons above. The admins point is that the superthreads are bad on the server. How? I've no ****ing idea, and neither do you.
    Actually, I do, but I'm just being pedantic there, as a qualified DBA of some 13+ years experience ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hobart wrote: »

Actually, I do, but I'm just being pedantic there, as a qualified DBA of some 13+ years experience ;)

An absolute fantastic post. I agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

A few points.

I'm sorry the new rules come across as dictatorial. Most of you are used to my tone. I had heap loads of stuff to write yesterday for this update and an unbelievable amount of PMs and correspondence to keep up with from all you guys as I was doing it. All the while I was trying to get my work done. It all might have been a bit rushed.

On the other hand, there is/was a large deficit in common sense with the reactions I've seen so far. The MAJOR change is we've made the banning procedure less strict, we've given more notice to users and the event of a long/perm ban should be seen miles away by any user.

To think then than we're going to ban people for referencing a match in a thread seems a bit conflicting.

More than anything else, the rules have been left grey and fuzzy because we don't want to come in and be dictatorial.

The two most common complaints levied against the soccer mods by various users are

1. We're too strict.
    2. We're not strict enough.

That is no joke.

In this case, we've set down guidelines, we're out of season so we're not quite sure how they will work in practice but we're holding off putting a mindset of rules into your head until we see how this all works in-season. One thing I can assure you, until we see the system working and unless someone is being an absolute jerk, noone is going to get banned over the superthreads. At worst, we'll ask you politely to post in a different thread. Oh noes!!!!!

Finally, Cult made the suggestion to us that we lock the superthreads more often. It is a common thing in many sites that have a long thread for discussion of spoilers or whatever. We have several of these threads running simultaneously. I can barely turn on my computer, so I won't begin to offer a reason for the superthread locking except to say two things.

1. Cult suggested it.
    2. Why is it a big deal?

Nobody like change I understand, but as PHB said, most of this change was requested by you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

GuanYin wrote: »
    The slate is wiped clean on all previous ban records for all users.

w00t, I missed this earlier.

Second time this has happened to me :cool:

Des wrote: »
    Second time this has happened to me :cool:

Thats because you have been online constantly since 1993 ;)

Nice work on the new charter, all we can do is give it a chance before we start
    to whinge and moan constantly like always ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

.... all we can do is give it a chance before we start
    to whinge and moan constantly like always ;)

QFT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I assume rather than starting seperate topics rather than posting in superthreads that mods will move large topics to their own threads or users could request this to happen if it seen something is devel oping into a large story.
    Another possible suggestion might be a guardian for eeach superthread (not necesaarily a fan of that team though)

kida wrote: »
    Another possible suggestion might be a guardian for eeach superthread (not necesaarily a fan of that team though)

Good idea to a point, what if the designated mod is away for a weekend or something?
    Anyway if this happens i vote Des as the mod of the Sunderland forum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good idea to a point, what if the designated mod is away for a weekend or something?

Then they post a simple message saying so and a regular mod knows to keep an eye.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

someone else is asked to do it ;)

I am suggesting a mod - just someone who asks a mod to spilt a topic or who points out to posters that it doesn't belong in the thread. Thinking more about it - it would have to a fan really to work, obviously one of the more "balanced" ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I don't think you're discussing the soccer forum rules here, which is kinda what this thread is for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Mods,
    Can somethin' be added to the rules about folk announcing who they've added to their ignore lists, I don't care, I come in here mainly to read/post about anythin' Liverpool related, not about who the feck is ignoring who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

One thing I am confused about ,

Who can start these match threads ?

Is it only Mods who can start these or can users????

Because if it only mods , users will be left waiting untill a mod gets around to it , this weekend is a good example .. No thread yet on the charity shield. I know it would not be the most interesting or biggest thread of the year but it is a good example of what may happen in the future, When we have to wait till late to start call possible lines ups tactics etc.

Anybody can start threads :) Go nuts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Cheers

PHB, I think you need to read the rules thread again, you are stopping discussion on matches in super threads but the rules were ammended by GuanYin to state "NO MATCH INCIDENT DISCUSSION WILL BE TOLERATED IN SUPERTHREADS."

i.e. discussion of general match chat is fine??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Not being able to discuss matches in the super threads is stupid. That is surely the main point of those threads.

Yes and the rules were changed to allow general discussion but not discussion of big incidents e.g. sending off's, penalty decisions etc.

But most people haven't seen the change, including PHB I think???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I have to say that I was quite surprised that this post this morning was moved from the Arsenal discussion thread to the match day thread. I wouldn't have posted it if I knew it would be moved.

There's a bit of confusion about this thing which is understandable. 'Incident' creates a misleading idea somewhat, lets try to clarify...
    Matches can be discussed in match threads or match week threads that will be created on a week to week basis.

The reason for this is to remove the "territorial" aspect of these discussions that occur in the super threads.

This is the reason for the change.
    If Sunderland are playing Liverpool today, and Sunderland win, and somebody psots something like 'glad to see Sunderland win' in the Liverpool thread, there will be 50 people calling him a troll and the thread will go to ****e. That's why there are specific match threads.

As PSI said:
    Of cource discussing a players recent performance or the possible team line ups etc is not discussing the match per se, so that is ok. There will be cross-over I'm sure, but when it comes to actually discussing the details and aspects of a game itself, that is what a match thread is for.

Essentially, pre match discussion/during match discussion, post match discussion all go in the match thread.

That would include all of the following:
    Starting Line Ups
    Predictions
    Match going on discussion (Billy scored, this formation ain't working)
    Post-match analysis

Then general stuff, like say, what people are thinking about Alonso that is currently going on in the Liverpool thread stays in there, and if people want to make a comment relating to the last game thats fine, once its on topic in that sense.

Thats not what I took PSI to mean and he ammended the rule after our discussion, he said discussion of general match stuff like I think we need to make a sub etc etc is fine in the teams super threads, its just incidents that cause hassle that aren't allowed to be discussed in the super threads to stop fans going into threads just to wind up the other teams fans.

Are you now changing this again????

PSI/Guan Yin is a she.

Villain wrote: »
    Thats not what I took PSI to mean and he ammended the rule after our discussion, he said discussion of general match stuff like I think we need to make a sub etc etc is fine in the teams super threads, its just incidents that cause hassle that aren't allowed to be discussed in the super threads to stop fans going into threads just to wind up the other teams fans.

Are you now changing this again????

I think you've read too much into the change from discussion to incident.
    The discussion was removed, afaik, because we're not saying that if you are talking about Alonso in general and mention his game last week we're going to move the post.
    Incident is more specific, because it refers to any incident in the match. That would include, basically anything that happens, like a kick of the ball :)
    PSI/Guan Yin is a she.

ok?

Thats not what I understood it be, have a look back and read the posts between me and PSI, no match discussion at all is just silly, so many people said it and PSI agreed so changed it to only incidents to stop people trolling and winding fans up but not stop discussion altogether. I'm 90% certain thats what She meant?

Villain wrote: »
    Thats not what I understood it be, have a look back and read the posts between me and PSI, no match discussion at all is just silly, so many people said it and PSI agreed so changed it to only incidents to stop people trolling and winding fans up but not stop discussion altogether. I'm 90% certain thats what She meant?

Where? I think you're reading too much into an example she gave.
    Before that exact example was this post
    Sometimes the area will be hazy, I suggest (<insert deity> help me) you guys use common sense. Noone is going to get banned for making a mistake, worst case scenario we clear things up at the time and we learn as we go along and a post gets moved. Oh noes!!!! . Match scores, and discussion of match incidents in match threads, player form is a club thing.

Player form was the issue in changing from discussion to incident.

Yes excatly so saying "Gabby is not at it today, we should get Harewood on" in the Villa thread is fine but "That should have been a peno blatent" push isn't allowed your saying only discussion of player form from PAST matches is allowed???

TBH the fact that its this restrictive shows exactly why PSI relaxed the rules, we shouldn't be stopping people from discussing topics we should be encouraging more discussion

• Advertisement

Do the soccer mods not have enough work to do already without having to go deleting these 'discussion' posts from super threads?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Stupid rule the no match discussion in superthreads, I would like to discuss the game with my fellow pool fans seperately,
    Overcomplicating everything, every single thing.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Do the soccer mods not have enough work to do already without having to go deleting these 'discussion' posts from super threads?

Absolutely. But this change is designed to stop the other work. There's always going to be a bit of work in changing the system, once people adjust, then this won't be an issue.
    Yes excatly so saying "Gabby is not at it today, we should get Harewood on" in the Villa thread is fine but "That should have been a peno blatent" push isn't allowed your saying only discussion of player form from PAST matches is allowed???

No, that's not the point. You're missing it completely. Tell me where anyone said that, at all? That was one example, but in the post above it, the general point was made.
    we shouldn't be stopping people from discussing topics we should be encouraging more discussion

Nobodies stopping anyone, just making it go in one place. It's just like moving any other off-topic post.
    Nobody likes change, but this should hopefully not only make the discussion easier to follow [one of the big complaints we got were the matches ruining super thread general discussions], stop as much fighting [due to eliminating the general crap about stop posting in my thread], and stop having multiple discussions in 3 places [as happens whenever 2 superthreads teams play [one in the Utd thread, one in the Liverpool thread, one in the general thread]
    Stupid rule the no match discussion in superthreads, I would like to discuss the game with my fellow pool fans seperately,
    Overcomplicating everything, every single thing.

This is the very point. When this happens, people post in the Liverpool thread about the match in the liverpool thread, people think the Liverpool thread is only for Liverpool fans, and people call each other trolls, flames, and much more.
    As has been had out in the feedback thread, if you want to discuss football with only your own set of fans, boards.ie soccer forum isn't going to work too well for ya.

It's just like moving any other off-topic post.

but it's ON topic. . . .

Yep its totally OTT and I thought it have been relaxed but PHB seems to say otherwise

This is the very point. When this happens, people post in the Liverpool thread about the match in the liverpool thread, people think the Liverpool thread is only for Liverpool fans, and people call each other trolls, flames, and much more.
    As has been had out in the feedback thread, if you want to discuss football with only your own set of fans, boards.ie soccer forum isn't going to work too well for ya.

ok I give you love having 800 rules for every thread. good job. way to guard the board, top gun.

mayordenis wrote: »
    but it's ON topic. . . .

It's not on topic, read the first post of every superthread.

you really think you're very smart,
    hows about you read the Title:
    Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

seems like a liverpool match is liverpool team talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can we not have a general match thread for discussion of ALL matches but also allow discussions of matches in the superthreads ?

This stinks of over modding when theres no need. I mean, its ridiculous. Are yea really going to go through each super thread with a fine comb and move all comments about matches to a different thread ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Slightly confused, during say, the Arsenal match today, are we allowed to discuss the match/score in the Arsenal thread or must it only be discussed in the match threads i.e. weekend match thead?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement