Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just coming to the end of the pallet load I got 2 years ago,having timber helps cut down on the usage,I priced the stove ovoids and with the delivery cost it's as cheap for me to buy local @ €15 a bag.
    I used the ordinary cheap stuff from them and it's ok for an open fire but in a stove it's too dirty with a lot of soot clogging the baffles.The missus can't hack it at all,there's great heat and has the rads roasting but it's just not right for a stove.
    Anyone with an open fire,go ahead and get it but for a stove,best to get the proper stove coal from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

zerks wrote: »
    Just coming to the end of the pallet load I got 2 years ago,having timber helps cut down on the usage,I priced the stove ovoids and with the delivery cost it's as cheap for me to buy local @ €15 a bag.
    I used the ordinary cheap stuff from them and it's ok for an open fire but in a stove it's too dirty with a lot of soot clogging the baffles.The missus can't hack it at all,there's great heat and has the rads roasting but it's just not right for a stove.
    Anyone with an open fire,go ahead and get it but for a stove,best to get the proper stove coal from them.
    Got a ton of ovoids in October which cost me €14.60 a bag aprox. Just wondering where these can be bought down south for €15 a bag?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Cape Clear wrote:
    Got a ton of ovoids in October which cost me €14.60 a bag aprox. Just wondering where these can be bought down south for €15 a bag?

for 40 kg bag ?

tharmor wrote: »
    for 40 kg bag ?

Yes 40kg

for 40 kg bag ?

Yes 40kg

• Advertisement

for 40 kg bag ?

Yes 40kg

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Cape Clear wrote: »

try these cos they have a great selection of them for around 14 and less but blazer one is their best seller.

they have suppliers nationwide http://www.patrickmurphyandsons.ie/wholesale/

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Yes 40kg

In Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

You can't. the extra tax on these products in the south ensures they will always be more expensive. Cheapest I have found is 18.5 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I am looking at renting a van for my next delivery. I can rent a van to take 2 tonnes, plus the dayzul, for one day for about 100 euro which is the courier delivery price. Plus I can drive into the storage area of my house which the big delivery truck can't do. Plus I will be 'accompanying my fuel' across the border.

• Advertisement

You can't. the extra tax on these products in the south ensures they will always be more expensive. Cheapest I have found is 18.5 euros.

That's what I thought as well! But Zerks post above seems to suggest differently.

That's what I thought as well! But Zerks post above seems to suggest differently.

I wouldn't have thought that it is the same product

One of my local coal yards sells the bags of Blazer and another type for €15 per 40kg in Enniscorthy.Burns away to dust and if you pile up a fire at night it will glow away for hours until morning.

One of my local coal yards sells the bags of Blazer and another type for €15 per 40kg in Enniscorthy.Burns away to dust and if you pile up a fire at night it will glow away for hours until morning.

I'm interested in this as thats a good price. Are these the smokeless ovoids?

I'm interested in this as thats a good price. Are these the smokeless ovoids?

They sell both,afaik they are the same price.I'll be getting a bag this week so I'll check the price of both.Even the "smoky" ones produce very little smoke when burning.

They sell both,afaik they are the same price.I'll be getting a bag this week so I'll check the price of both.Even the "smoky" ones produce very little smoke when burning.

Thanks Zerks. wonder how they compare to the smokeless ovoids from Coalisland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Which yard is this Zerks, I might slip down and get a bag to try? Local yard in Gorey is €16 for the smoky coal and it is filthy, even using it just to get the stove going has the glass black in a couple of days. Does it light easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Ignore previous post missed a page .

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Is delivery available to Galway?

1621873_820195158006802_471138977_n.jpg?oh=67f5d2ecc77e3d589846b5120a8580bc&oe=575BC899

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Which yard is this Zerks, I might slip down and get a bag to try? Local yard in Gorey is €16 for the smoky coal and it is filthy, even using it just to get the stove going has the glass black in a couple of days. Does it light easily?

It's The Old Dublin Road Coal Yard opposite the NCT Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

2forjoy wrote: »
    1621873_820195158006802_471138977_n.jpg?oh=67f5d2ecc77e3d589846b5120a8580bc&oe=575BC899

Are they oviods?

vectra wrote: »
    Are they oviods?

Yeah,very clean burning.Those are the ones I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cool.
    I wonder do they deliver to Fermoy?

I am currently burning Ecoal from the local Dairygold. €19.99 a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

vectra wrote: »
    Are they oviods?

Yup, http://www.patrickmurphyandsons.ie/wholesale/

€14 is a great price.

Worth asking p murphy and sons do they delivery to fermoy directly

Yup, http://www.patrickmurphyandsons.ie/wholesale/

€14 is a great price.

Worth asking p murphy and sons do they delivery to fermoy directly

No reason why not they are based in Barrack street for years and possibly supply shops around Fermoy in any case.

How would you compare them to the Coalisland Oviods for use in a stove?

How would you compare them to the Coalisland Oviods for use in a stove?

Never used the ovoids from the North,one would assume they are pretty much the same.

@Marhay70 - I picked up the smokeless ovoids from the yard in Enniscorthy for €15 per 40kg.I also got a bag of the standard Blazer ovoids for comparison.The smokeless are also labelled as bagged in Cork.

Never used the ovoids from the North,one would assume they are pretty much the same.

@Marhay70 - I picked up the smokeless ovoids from the yard in Enniscorthy for €15 per 40kg.I also got a bag of the standard Blazer ovoids for comparison.The smokeless are also labelled as bagged in Cork.

funny placename but they are actually bagged in Ovens, Co. Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

2forjoy wrote: »
    funny placename but they are actually bagged in Ovens, Co. Cork

Says on the site they manufacture coal but I don't think they have a coking plant out there? Does blending and bagging count as manufacturing?

Advertisement