Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Well hopefully this means we'll get HD on saorview sooner rather than later, or is there already movement on that?
    I was wondering could we see the proposed TV3HD plans shelved for sky altogether... UPC could exclusively carry TV3/3e in HD on their own platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There really ought to be a legal requirement for all channels on saorview to be in HD at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

There really ought to be a legal requirement for all channels on saorview to be in HD at this stage.
    The difference between SD and HD is much smaller than the difference between monochrome (AKA black-and-white) and colour. I'm not fussed about it - though you probably disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The difference between SD and HD is much smaller than the difference between monochrome (AKA black-and-white) and colour. I'm not fussed about it - though you probably disagree.

You think? Last night I was flicking around the channels - saorview and freesat and full fat freesat SD channels look so much better than saorview SD. The difference between RTE HD and TV3/3e SD is night and day.

Of course their main hindrance is the UK channels talking much needed Irish advertisement revenue and the fact the TV3 has lost the big ITV soaps to a competitor when you weigh up the pros and cons I think it looks like a decent acquisition for that kind of money - debt free and its an incredible deal IMO.

There must be something wrong with your box or TV - the difference between SD and HD is very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It kills me to think that TV3 management are in line for a payout considering they almost drove the channel into the ground.

Though in fairness to them the did Transform the channel from an foreign import based channel to a contemporary bull**** bull**** bull**** and more bull****.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    It kills me to think that TV3 management are in line for a payout considering they almost drove the channel into the ground.

Though in fairness to them the did Transform the channel from an foreign import based channel to a contemporary bull**** bull**** bull**** and more bull****.
    In terms of programming and the way TV3 is run this can only be a good thing - things can't really get any worse in terms of adaptability and innovation.

irishfeen wrote: »
    In terms of programming and the way TV3 is run this can only be a good thing - things can't really get any worse in terms of adaptability and innovation.

Saturday and Sunday AM. There is really very little imagination at TV3.

As pointed out UK reality and sports are driving the channel, both open to other competitors.

Saturday and Sunday AM. There is really very little imagination at TV3.

As pointed out UK reality and sports are driving the channel, both open to other competitors.
    To be fair to TV3 Saturday and Sunday AM isn't actually a bad idea but in reality they should be pumping that money into Primetime TV - that's where they are in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

I say they will be forced to make HD available to all providers be it saorview or evision.

Joo0 wrote: »
    I say they will be forced to make HD available to all providers be it saorview or evision.
    Here's hoping! .. All PSB broadcasters should be made place all channels inc HD on all platforms available.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Sticking with the celluloid analogy, in fairness depending on your TV, it's the difference between shooting on Kodachrome 25 & grainy 1600 ISO film. The difference between HD channels on my Saorview box & SD on my old Sky box is quite perceivable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sticking with the celluloid analogy, in fairness depending on your TV, it's the difference between shooting on Kodachrome 25 & grainy 1600 ISO film. The difference between HD channels on my Saorview box & SD on my old Sky box is quite perceivable.

The problem with HD vs SD is the crap way 2RN are forced to charge for their services. 2RN get €12m whatever happens to run two muxes. The broadcasters get charged on the bandwidth they use. Unused bandwidth is ignored. So, apart from RTE, they all cut down on their bandwidth and produce fuzzy vision, particularly TV3.

If this system were changed, TV3, TG4, and UTV1 could all be HD, with and extra SD channel for the €2.2m that they currently would be charged if the went HD, but they would all have to go HD together.

Think of it this way, if RTE took over mux 1, they could - just - fit everything onto it. Mux2 would then cost €6m per year for TV3, TG4 and UTVi [edit: all in HD] with three SD channels to spare - one each. It would be tight but it would work.

It is Comreg who are responsible for this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

No offence mate, but you need to go to Specsavers, if you can't see the difference between SD and HD !

You'd have to wonder if anyone working in TV3 watches TV when you look at the people's debate

While I know its a big job to bring a show around the country every week it just looks so amateur, a little bit of care maybe.

Okay I should not compare TV3 with the BBC but even consider a few of the problems with TV3 production that could be improved upon.

Who decided arrangement of the audience did they find the smallest conference room in the hotel?
    Who decided on the table cloths?
    Who decided on the debaters positions, they both look like their being interrogated?
    The light is off, though it is a YouTube video, maybe its just me?
    And the Tonight pop-up sign has a clearly visible dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It does look so amateurish. Switch between the show and a programme shown in HD - you'll see a shocking difference. The editing can be bad at times and the sound awful. The pop-up signs look like something from a market stall.

Yet, it's one of it's highest rated shows (which probably says more about the rest of its schedule)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

Vincent Browne only worked one night this week. The Wed. people's debate was recorded on Monday night with the Tonight Show broadcast from the venue. Michael Clifford hosted Tuesday and tonight. This is more than a summer break as I don't think he has been on more than two nights a week for some months. I guess, at 71, his health is catching up with him, although he sill refuses to wear glasses on air and struggles to read an autocue.

Yeah I'm surprised they are continuing on with The Peoples Debate for the summer - normally they give Vincent about 2 months off in the summer.

Also in the Irish Times yesterday, it was revealed that Gogglebox won't take place until at least Autumn 2016. Seems like any formats that Jeff Ford brought in, like Blind Date, are being rejected or moved out by Lynda McQuaid.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Yeah I'm surprised they are continuing on with The Peoples Debate for the summer - normally they give Vincent about 2 months off in the summer.

Also in the Irish Times yesterday, it was revealed that Gogglebox won't take place until at least Autumn 2016. Seems like any formats that Jeff Ford brought in, like Blind Date, are being rejected or moved out by Lynda McQuaid.

People's debates wants to try to finish each constituency before GE

TV3 always announce shows that never get produced, be interesting to see if my house rules gets produced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Love it or hate it the Big Brother move was excellent. It sometimes got a bit confusing trying to watch it as it jumped between TV3 and 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How did it do in the ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Red Rock is being re-run from this Thursday at 10pm for those who didn't see it from the start

I had to turn off The Dark Knight last night on TV3 with that MASSIVE Red Rock DOG on screen ....it looks absolutely terrible!

lertsnim wrote: »
    How did it do in the ratings?

Up and down average of 151,000 but final had 225,000 in total.

Red Rock at 10pm is too late IMO interesting to see how it does.

• Advertisement

Red Rock at 10pm is too late IMO interesting to see how it does.

Was expecting them to put it on in August at 7pm to rest The Seven O'Clock Show. 10pm is an odd time, but I feel they haven't much else to show, and are awaiting September to start any new shows.

Advertisement