Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fernando Torres

• 05-11-2012 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Continuing on from a discussion last night I think this deserves its own thread...

I think Torres time in the Premier League is quickly coming to an end as the guy looks miserable. It looks like he will never reach the heights and prolific goal scoring Chelsea wished for, as its coming on two years now and he has failed to hit any real form.

In his time at Liverpool his first 56 appearances gave him a goal total of 39 'vs' the 11 for Chelsea over the same amount of games to date.

He was never going to hit them figures again, even with the better players around him at Chelsea,but I don't think anyone imagined it would be so dismal.

The guy can still score (don't get me wrong) but for me it's a combination of the wrong move, wrong system and probably still a bit in love with LFC that has contributed to his demise.

I wouldn't mind having him back at Liverpool to see if we could spark something in him again, but at this stage its a risk that is way too pricey in our current state.

I hope for the fella that he gets out of the PL and maybe back to Spain asap as it like looking at an ex in a bad place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

and probably still a bit in love with LFC

There's deluded, and there's LFC. Honest to christ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's a difficult one. The move to Chelsea has made it very very difficult for him to leave.

Chelsea would have to take a massive hit in terms of their outlay, and he would have to take a massive wage cut.

I can't see many teams (except perhaps an Anzhi or PSG or a team like this with bottomless funds, trying to raise their profile) offering more than a £10m transfer fee and wages of about £80,000 a week.

This makes it very very difficult to facilitate a move for him.

The only potential move could be as part of a Chelsea deal for Falcao. Atleti would stomach his departure far better if their golden boy came home. Likewise Chelsea might forget about the massive loss on Torres when they have arguably the world's best number 9 coming in.

And for Torres he might well be willing to take a huge cut in his wages to go back to his boyhood club who should probably be playing in the Champions League next season.

So maybe £30m plus Torres for Falcao is an arrangement that could benefit all parties.

Otherwise I see no possible way out for Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Seemed towards the end of last season and the beginning of this one that he might be on the way back to somewhere near his best but that doesn't look too likely judging by his performances lately.

A change of club might do him good.

Back to Athletico and Falcao coming the other way perhaps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's a combination of things.

the role he's asked to play for Chelsea is quite different to the one he played for Liverpool.

at Liverpool he was quite blatantly asked to just run and shoot, get on the end of things, and not worry much about linking play. at Chelsea he's being asked to be a far more "complete" centre forward.

also, the system he's playing in is not designed to get him a lot of goals. it's designed to create space for Hazard, Mata and Oscar.

physically, he's also not the athlete he used to be. he's lost much his speed and elasticity.

and, of course, he doesn't really care about the club he plays for. he's there because he wants to win stuff, which is fair enough, but he doesn't have the same fire in his belly he once did.

it all contributes to being less effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Torres jumped ship in a panic for a huge price and expectation, those factors do seem to have weighed very heavily on his mind. I wouldn't be surprised if he left Chelsea for a berth back at Atletico next summer. They are going great guns but will probably lose Falcao to a mega offer from Chelsea/City/Real so as a part replacement Torres might be welcome back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i think he's period at Liverpool he just hit a streak & was getting great supply by Gerrard
    he has nearly always been poor for Spain including Euro 2008 when his final winning goal masked over his poor performances at the competition
    he was never that prolific for Athletico either
    i certaintly wouldn't want him back an Anfield
    he thought he was too good for the club & look how it turned out for him at Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

To be honest he wasn't too hot in the last 6 months of his liverpool career except when he came up against vidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

To be honest he wasn't too hot in the last 6 months of his liverpool career except when he came up against vidic.

Having a clown like Hodgson as his manager didn't help.

MD1990 wrote: »
    i think he's period at Liverpool he just hit a streak & was getting great supply by Gerrard
    he has nearly always been poor for Spain including Euro 2008 when his final winning goal masked over his poor performances at the competition
    he was never that prolific for Athletico either
    i certaintly wouldn't want him back an Anfield
    he thought he was too good for the club & look how it turned out for him at Chelsea

You're not giving him too much credit there.

He was outstanding at Liverpool. Benitez played to his strengths brilliantly.

I'm not so sure he'd fit into the Rodgers style of play and anyway Liverpool couldn't afford the outlay on him, plus he's not the player he was.

Neil3030 wrote: »

Yeah sure lump us all into the deluded category. Fantastic contribution to what is a decent topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Scored 9 goals for Hodgson/Dalglish or 1 in 2.4 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Think the passion for the game is gone and once it goes it's very tough to ever regain. He's like your classic Brazilian in a Spaniards body. Still earning silly amounts of money that his form last few years doesn't in any way deserve so fair play on that count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah sure lump us all into the deluded category. Fantastic contribution to what is a decent topic.

I don't think I've tarred everyone with the same brush, at least that was not my intention. I was simply suggesting a very club specific trait, obviously not one which all fans need subscribe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Having a clown like Hodgson as his manager didn't help.

When was the last time Liverpool didn't have a clown steering the ship?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

FearDark wrote: »

yesterday, and since Rodge'rs took over.

FearDark wrote: »

OMG lolzzz!!!!111!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Saying he's unhappy or unsettled at Chelsea is merely papering over the fact that he just doesn't look like a top player anymore, and hasn't done for about two years now.

If he doesn't find some form this season I could see Chelsea selling him in the Summer even if it is at a huge loss. They'll hardly get more than about 10-12 million for him at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Whatever !

Im not the first to suggest that his move to Chelsea wasn't what he expected, and when compared to his time at Liverpool that he still holds a torch for his former club which may have effected his head.

Also i found this recent comment interesting...
    Gianfranco Zola (Chelsea Legend) on Fernando Torres:
    "He has good spirit, but he doesn't love Chelsea, you can buy his service but you can never buy his love for Liverpool."

Oul Zola must be deluded as well.

I don't think I've tarred everyone with the same brush, at least that was not my intention. I was simply suggesting a very club specific trait, obviously not one which all fans need subscribe.

Fair enough.

I think you'll find fans from every club ha fans with wild imaginations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Torres is finished.

Played his best football for Liverpool and went downhill rapidly when he moved.

Do i want him back?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

his form had dropped considerably long long before he signed for Chelsea, yet people seem to ignore this.

nothing to do with systems, formation or players, he started to lose everything around 2010 and has not recovered since. can he recover it? probably needs to leave them to be honest and move back to Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He has 6 goals from 16 appearances in total this season, 4 in 10 PL games.

It's not the worst record tbf, certainly a far better ratio than the rest of his time at Chelsea. He looks good in some games and then in others he's anonymous. But still, the ratio is close to 1 in 2 which is never bad.

Let's see what his record is like come Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The thing about Torres is when he was at LFC the club was built around him. Rafa had the team set-up to play to his strengths and he thrived. The fan's built him up to be a god and he played care-free & full of confidence. He was LFC for the few years he was there.

When he moved to CFC he was just another player in a squad full of super-stars. His form suffered and after being reduced to a bit part player last season his confidence in tatters. I think he will be sold back to Spain in the summer where hopefully he re-ignite his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The thing, that people tend to forget, including some on this thread, is that he was going downhill before he left Liverpool.
    His career has definitely suffered with the amount, type and timing of injuries he has had and in my opinion that came to a head at Liverpool in the months before he left.
    He does appear to have lost a certain edge to his game, explosive pace being it and I think either psychologically (for fear of doing another injury) or physically (because his injuries) this has effected his game immensely.

When Chelsea paid 50 million for his services to Liverpool I laughed at them, really I did, and I applauded Liverpool for getting so much money for an asset that had gone past its best. Probably the best transfer deal in history for the selling club, being honest.

He's still a decent player and one has to say his transfer fee is not his fault but ultimately that is what he will be measured on. Were any club able to pick him up for 10-15 million he'd be a great buy.

his form had dropped considerably long long before he signed for Chelsea, yet people seem to ignore this.

nothing to do with systems, formation or players, he started to lose everything around 2010 and has not recovered since. can he recover it? probably needs to leave them to be honest and move back to Spain.

His form only dropped when Hodgson was in charge, apart from that his goalscoring was excellent. In 09/10 for Rafas last season he score 18 goals in 22 league games. For Kenny he scored 3 goals in 4 league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

His form only dropped when Hodgson was in charge, apart from that his goalscoring was excellent. In 09/10 for Rafas last season he score 18 goals in 22 league games. For Kenny he scored 3 goals in 4 league games.

So you're blaming the manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Torres is a strange one at chelsea. He works very hard for the team and is a real team player but he is fairly shocking in front of goal. His stats for this season are 'meh'. He always seems to take too many touches and becomes unsure of what he's doing, at liverpool he seemed to shoot from every angle without even thinking and naturally the goals came for him.

He is doing ok for chelsea but if a 35million + torres for falcao swap is on the cards then brilliant.

kippy wrote: »
    So you're blaming the manager?

For his drop in form at Liverpool yes, for his current slump it's more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

kippy wrote: »
    When Chelsea paid 50 million for his services to Liverpool I laughed at them, really I did, and I applauded Liverpool for getting so much money for an asset that had gone past its best. Probably the best transfer deal in history for the selling club, being honest.

And then they bought Carroll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's Roy's fault, no other possible explanation.

He's also responsible for the recession, Hurricane Sandy and anything else that can be pinned on him.

Where was he when Lennon was shot?

Advertisement