Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leftovers [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

I was really happy Nora wasn't actually planning to kill herself.

Laurie's scream of Jill! really sounded like she not spoken for a year and been chain smoking the whole time. Good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

I was really happy Nora wasn't actually planning to kill herself.

Laurie's scream of Jill! really sounded like she not spoken for a year and been chain smoking the whole time. Good work.
    IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Im posting this through squinted eyes to avoid spoilers.

Ive only watched the first episode of this and then thought it might be a show that is better binged on so I havent seen any other.

Marks out of ten for the first season? And is it worth another 9 hours of my time?

The show is divisive. In my opinion, yes. A lot of really strong stories. Nora in particular really grabbed me.

Just don't be focused on clues, or expect answers to the seemingly magical things (and only the departure is explicitly supernatural, everything else can just be coincidences and delusions.) Watch it to see how the characters deal with living in their world. If you can't live with unresolved mysteries, don't watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Im posting this through squinted eyes to avoid spoilers.

Ive only watched the first episode of this and then thought it might be a show that is better binged on so I havent seen any other.

Marks out of ten for the first season? And is it worth another 9 hours of my time?

It's undoubtedly a bit all over the place but a very interesting show. Kudos to them for trying something different as well - making no attempt to explain what has happened, and concentrating on the effects on the Leftovers.

Parts of it will doubtless annoy you, parts of it annoyed me and I thought it was fantastic overall, but I think this is well worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I wAs hoping Laurier would keep going in to the sea before he son turned up.
    Where does this leave the smoking gang?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

This thread is on page 3 of the forum just a couple of days after the finale. Im guessing the finale couldnt have been that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

no need for chat when its all her
    thanks to the poster who posted this for ep 7
    it explains a lot that i missed
    http://www.vox.com/2014/9/8/6121495/the-leftovers-episode-10-why-do-bad-things-happen-to-good-people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

This thread is on page 3 of the forum just a couple of days after the finale. Im guessing the finale couldnt have been that good.

There were better episodes to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Finished it last night. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Brilliant powerful finale!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Really enjoyed the show. Binged on it over the last three days. Wish I had another episode to watch tonight!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Top notch finale
    Excellent series - looking fwd to s2!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

I've enjoyed this series but I have to admit I was disappointed to read in this thread that according to the book, the disappearance is never explained. Does the book ending give you a really good idea of what happened with just a little room for ambiguity, or does it leave it all still a complete mystery? Do you think that the tv series might change the ending to give some sort of answer?

I will watch season 2 nonetheless as I am enjoying it, I don't mind a few unexplained mysteries but I think it will bug me not having some sort of final overall answer.

I don't know if it applies to all the people but there seems to be a trend that some of the people left behind felt burdened and a want to be free from their loved ones for even a short while at the time of the disappearance. Or just generally unhappy about things in their family life.

Kevin -not feeling fulfilled enough with own family. Does the 'trapped' deer in the flashback before the disappearance represent himself and his own feelings of being trapped in his marriage/family life? When the beautiful lady knocks down that deer, and he ultimately shoots it dead to put it out of it's misery he then goes on to cheat with that woman. Like he himself is no longer trapped either.

Laurie -don't think she was very happy about being pregnant due to the strains in the marriage and she hadn't even told Kevin.

Nora- Very stressed with the kids, no job, and feeling not valued by her husband as he didn't even remember her interview.

The old couple with their son who had Down Syndrome - must have spent all their lives caring for him and perhaps under a lot of stress doing so in their old age.

The woman with the crying baby at the start - clearly very unhappy and stressed at the time of the disappearance (that's not to say she was always stressed though)

Meg I'm not so sure about, lost her mother before the departure and didn't seem to enthused or happy with her engagement to her fiance. Would like to learn more about the relationship with her mum though before she died.

It's like any one of these people could have just mentally wished if even for just one second to just be free from what was burdening them. It especially looked that way for Nora when she was trying to dry the the phone and the kids were screaming.

Kevin's family didn't disappear but the woman he was sleeping with did though. Maybe he wanted to be free from that feeling of wanting more, feeling fulfilled. He wanted to be happy with his own wife and family although he did in a way end up losing all his family in other ways. His father to the mental institute, his wife to a cult, his son to Wayne, his daughter to being a very troubled teenager.

I also thought Nora's letter was a suicide note, and that the only thing that changed her mind might have being hugging Wayne's baby - the 'magic' healing hug might have been passed on (if it's real and he's not a fraud)

What's the story with Christine I wonder? Did she run away or 'disappear' like the others?

If Kevin wished for his family back, but Nora and the baby are on his step, if they are the new family does that mean he is going to lose Laurie and Tommy to suicide (because Tommy just left the baby on the step) or does Tommy want to join the Remnants so Kevin will then have lost his son that way?
    Or will they maybe return home again?

Do Kevin's tattoos mean anything? He has a scissors on one wrist and what looks like a bull's eye target circle on the other. That other cult had bull's eye targets on their foreheads so that god could 'find' them. I didn't quite make out his back tattoo and can't remember what tattoo Tommy got either.

Was it aliens and are humans just turning to religious explanations in their attempt to make sense of something they don't understand?

I have so many questions, but I like a show that gives me all these things to wonder about. :D

Just a bit disappointed that there might be no conclusion.

I've enjoyed this series but I have to admit I was disappointed to read in this thread that according to the book, the disappearance is never explained. Does the book ending give you a really good idea of what happened with just a little room for ambiguity, or does it leave it all still a complete mystery? Do you think that the tv series might change the ending to give some sort of answer?

The book gives no explanation whatsoever, and the producers have said the show won't either. It's fundamentally not about what happened, but what is happening to the leftovers.

I'm sure there'll be a conclusion when the show ends, it just won't be a 'explain where they went' conclusion. The premise of what has happened is so unlikely, just ask yourself what even fractionally-plausible explanation they could come up with?

Lindelof had this problem on Lost and the ending to that was a load of bollo<ks. Hopefully he'll have learnt his lesson, and they can concentrate on the characters/story without coming up with some hand-waving crap to explain where the people went.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

The book gives no explanation whatsoever, and the producers have said the show won't either. It's fundamentally not about what happened, but what is happening to the leftovers.

I'm sure there'll be a conclusion when the show ends, it just won't be a 'explain where they went' conclusion. The premise of what has happened is so unlikely, just ask yourself what even fractionally-plausible explanation they could come up with?

Lindelof had this problem on Lost and the ending to that was a load of bollo<ks. Hopefully he'll have learnt his lesson, and they can concentrate on the characters/story without coming up with some hand-waving crap to explain where the people went.

Lost was one of my favorite tv series ever. :D

If there is no explanation for the disappearance then I would at least like to see some sort of conclusion for the characters, and how there lives seem to pan out.

If there is no explanation for the disappearance then I would at least like to see some sort of conclusion for the characters, and how there lives seem to pan out.

Exactly what they're going for I think, and indeed hope. This show is about the characters, not the disappearance itself.

Been saving this for when I had the time to give it the time it deserved, every thing I'd seen or heard about the showed seemed to indicate that this isn't one of those shows that's best enjoyed week to week. Just after watching the pilot and I can imagine that show being rather frustrating if teased out over ten weeks.

The pilot has a number of strong elements, there's a nice sense of unease underpinning it and the uncertainty which haunts each character bodes well for a show which is keen to explore that mystery at the heart of it all. Well I say the show is keen but if anything the pilot demonstrates that The Leftovers may very well be one of those shows that takes a long time to get to the heart of it's mystery. The 70 minutes I watched kept my attention and left me wondering just what it was I had watched. The most striking aspect of it thus far was manner in which the character of Kevin was played. I twigged early on that Laurie was his wife but even then the show did an admirable job wallowing in Kevin's sense of loss. He spent the first episode striving to connect with his children while mourning the loss of his wife whom we assume was lost on October 14 three years previously.

The ambiguity present is interesting, it's rare to find a show that seems willing to flaunt the traditional narrative structure. Here we have characters who are defined not by what has happened them but rather by the fact that nothing has. It's something that could be either a refreshing change of pace or incredibly frustrating. I'm hoping it's not the latter as The Leftovers has the potential to be one of those great shows which isn't afraid to let it's characters find their feet. The writers seem in no rush to define who these people are, preferring instead to give them time to come into their own. That said the teenage characters are rather poorly sketched, there's a trend to paint the rebellious nature of teenage years as some form of nihilist protest and the show was quick to do so but it simply rings hollow here. It's just a little too cliched and tired and is something I hope the writers don't fall back on as it really only works as a cheap metaphor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Just about to delve into episode 7 after watching the last few nights. I'm really enjoying it so far. It definitely makes me feel pretty uneasy and I really love the music. I hope the rest of the series and future episodes maintain the standard to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Renewed for a second season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I came to this late after a recommendation from a friend and binged through it in a week. Really enjoyed it as something different with a strong cast and atmosphere.

One thing I'm wondering about is the casting of Donna from the West Wing as the preacher's catatonic wife. So far at least it's been a nothing role for such a good actress, unless there's more to come and they were confident of a second season when casting.

Also Amy Brenneman has aged so much since NYPD Blue and Heat it's making me feel old :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Finished it tonight and found it to be a good show.

For some reason, it reminded me of these guys.
    puffa.jpg:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I found this to be compelling viewing. I waited until i had the entire series as i was sceptical but once i started i was completely engrossed.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that there is no resolution on how people dissapeared.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

Just watched the first episode of this. I'm intrigued but lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Two episodes in and I'm none the wiser on what a rapture is. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

Watched what I thought was the first episode first (doh!) and have just now watched the first episode (after having watched the second episode first!!!).

As if it wasn't confusing enough!

I'm genuinely intrigued with it so far.

When is episode 3 on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Amazing show. Not at Twin Peaks level of weird but comfortably close. Like said above, I can't imagine watching this week to week - its a binge job or nothing at all.
    Who cares where the chosen people went (Bonnie Raitt, Pope Benny, Gary Busey ? and Anthony Bourdain doing the cooking).
    Christopher Ecclestone doing his best work since reinventing the Doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

This is the weirdest show I've ever seen! What the hell is going on?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

Peace wrote: »
    I found this to be compelling viewing. I waited until i had the entire series as i was sceptical but once i started i was completely engrossed.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that there is no resolution on how people dissapeared.

I assume there will be a second season ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I just finished the first season, I still don't have a clue what's going on..

The guilty remnant, dunno.

Kevins weird 'is it a dream or is it real or is it both' moments, dunno.

That weird tobacco chewin lad, dunno.

The deer/dogs, dunno.

And of course, the rapture itself. No idea whatsoever.

Basically the finale leaves with more questions than answers. I'm delighted there's gonna be another season, I really want to know what the fúck this show is about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

GerB40 wrote: »
    I just finished the first season, I still don't have a clue what's going on..

The guilty remnant, dunno.

Kevins weird 'is it a dream or is it real or is it both' moments, dunno.

That weird tobacco chewin lad, dunno.

The deer/dogs, dunno.

And of course, the rapture itself. No idea whatsoever.

Basically the finale leaves more answers than questions. I'm delighted there's gonna be another season, I really want to know what the fúck this show is about...

exactly how i felt last week after watching the season finale:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've watched 3 episodes and I agree that its intriguing but I'm not sure if I'll continue with it. I can't make heads nor tails of what's going on and I can't see continuing watching will improving that, based on what I've read online. Its too choppy for my liking.

I loved Lost which had a similar theme but I'm not embracing this so far. Its a bit too jumpy for me, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

A very strange show, I stuck it out til the end but will I be eagerly waiting for s2- probably not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

+2 :confused: I should stop watching but I need answers!!!
    exactly how i felt last week after watching the season finale:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Finished it all last week. Took a while to get into, but i enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm following it now! It's good but for some reason I'm mentally drained after watching an episode of it! A lot happens and it really seems to drag on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I haven't watched it but Its an absolutely terrible name for a TV show in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Errrr sorry to break it to ye lads but the director and producers have been all over the internet boasting about how there's not going to be any answers and that's kind of the whole point of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭beardo81

Watched this over the past week or so and thought it was excellent. Few weak spots in episodes but overall really, really good.

Had to watch it over the course of 8 days or so as couldn't wait for a week between episodes, don't think its that type of show.

Really looking forward to Season 2 but hate the wait!

Is the book worth reading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously?

It's Lost all over again.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Errrr sorry to break it to ye lads but the director and producers have been all over the internet boasting about how there's not going to be any answers and that's kind of the whole point of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's a slightly mysterious show, sure enough, but it's a long way from being Lost.
    Lost bred a culture of theory speculation that I find a bit tiresome because it's spread into so many shows that just don't warrant such high levels of speculation.
    I think The Leftovers has been a really interesting study of a depressed town struggling to come to terms with a loss they can't understand. The fact that these people aren't all asking "where are they" every waking moment should serve as a clear enough indication that we shouldn't either.
    Not to say there's not some kooky going-ons; particularly with Garvey's father and the miracle baby, I just don't think it's gotten anywhere close to following Lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lost bred a culture of theory speculation that I find a bit tiresome because it's spread into so many shows that just don't warrant such high levels of speculation.

I agree. People were dissecting True Detective looking for clues as if there was going to be a big reveal at the end when it was clearly not that kind of show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

It's a great show, I'd highly recommended people to stick with it.

Middle of season is weak in parts but the last few are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I've seen the 6 episodes on Sky and I'm really enjoying it. I like how they focus on the aftermath for those left behind rather than the reasons for the departed event itself.

There have been some standout moments for me so far - taking the photos out of the frames, Nora Dunst buying a family shop every week and binning last week's groceries for her non-existent family was powerful I thought.

It's also beautifully shot.

I know it was mentioned at the start but why don't the GR speak? Are they smoking to kill themselves quicker because they feel life is pointless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Got 2.5 episodes into this and gave up. These kind of shows are really not for me. I'm looking for entertainment and something to draw me into it and take me out of the ordinary day to day activities of real life. This doesn't do that at all. It seems to be a show which requires deep thought and hidden meanings, two aspects of film/tv which just don't agree with me. Shame, it had a good premise, but it just comes across as boring. Back to programs with 'splosions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Got 2.5 episodes into this and gave up. These kind of shows are really not for me. I'm looking for entertainment and something to draw me into it and take me out of the ordinary day to day activities of real life. This doesn't do that at all. It seems to be a show which requires deep thought and hidden meanings, two aspects of film/tv which just don't agree with me. Shame, it had a good premise, but it just comes across as boring. Back to programs with 'splosions!

That's very true! I feel mentally drained after watching an episode. A lot happens in it and it requires a lot of focused energy to watch it. I'm sticking with it though. Episode 7 tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's a tv show, not a thesis on quantum theory. It's really not hard to watch, I would say game of thrones is a lot more difficult to follow tbh.

I'm now completely addicted to this show. Watching on sky and delighted it's been renewed for a second season.

Spent last night in the attic at home looking through old National Geographics!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

On Sky pace too, really enjoyed the episode set in New York (conference). That's the second episode that concentrated on just one character, worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I checked this out thinking it might be a bit like Lost, but it is nothing like it. It's not even a poor man's Lost as it's not a mystery show, it just shows you things without hinting at any answer or direction to where the show is heading.

The premise while initially interesting is not what the show is really about - the writers even say they won't reveal what happened. So it's a drama about the after effects of the central mystery.

I struggled through 3 episodes before giving up. I read up on how the rest of the seasons pans out, doesn't sound at all interesting or worth the effort. The characters are not worth following and those chain-smoking twats are annoying - and the reasoning to explain their behaviour is just stupid.

Lost was an ultra-poor man's Leftovers.

I checked this out thinking it might be a bit like Lost, but it is nothing like it. It's not even a poor man's Lost as it's not a mystery show, it just shows you things without hinting at any answer or direction to where the show is heading.

The premise while initially interesting is not what the show is really about - the writers even say they won't reveal what happened. So it's a drama about the after effects of the central mystery.

I struggled through 3 episodes before giving up. I read up on how the rest of the seasons pans out, doesn't sound at all interesting or worth the effort. The characters are not worth following and those chain-smoking twats are annoying - and the reasoning to explain their behaviour is just stupid.

It's a psychological drama not a mystery. It was never intended to be a show about why everyone departed but rather how those who are left coped afterwards.

I love the way it just hints at things. Nothing is spelt out. I actually think it's an excellent portrayal of a post-apocalyptical world where boundaries and societal norms have been disturbed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement