Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I disagree, there just seems to be one little incident after another since the AI Final and during it come to think of it which tells me things are not as they should be.

Freeman.

Feeney.

Higgins.

Regan.

Duffy.

Don't try to tell me any of the above incidents haven't planted the smallest seed of doubt in the player's minds as regards Horan.

Another full moon tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Whats the venue for Connaught final this year should Mayo get through..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

royster999 wrote: »
    Whats the venue for Connaught final this year should Mayo get through..

V Galway it will be Castlebar
    V Sligo it will likely be Roscommon
    V London it will be Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

High praise there for Keith Higgins from Colm Cooper...named as one of the three best defenders he ever faced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

and there was us trying to play him in the forwards:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Barlett wrote: »
    High praise there for Keith Higgins from Colm Cooper...named as one of the three best defenders he ever faced
    I hope he is left there for the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Surprised that he thinks that, seem to remember Cooper giving him a roasting back in the 06 decider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I actually didn't think he'd pick him after the couple of big championship games he struggled on the Gooch (not like anyone else would have fared any better!). But on ability alone probably not many better defenders he's faced though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

V Galway it will be Castlebar
    V Sligo it will likely be Roscommon
    V London it will be Castlebar

The Hyde can't host Connacht finals ya big tube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Syferus wrote: »

Coulda swore the 2011 & 2012 finals were there?

Ah, of course I remember now that it was condemned shortly after the 2012 final.
    So its Castlebar all the way I presume, unless Sligo want to take it to Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how is it allowded host normal games so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

irishgeo wrote: »
    how is it allowded host normal games so?

It's fine for normal games but not a Connacht final. We can't have our province's show piece event being held in a run down stadium, especially with sky showing the game to a world wide audience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's fine for normal games but not a Connacht final. We can't have our province's show piece event being held in a run down stadium, especially with sky showing the game to a world wide audience..

it was allowed host big games until Prenty got his inspectors in.
    coincidental, considering the huge money spent on McHale and the debt it now has

ColeTrain wrote: »

sky are not showing to a worldwide audience just the uk and ireland.

GAAGO is showing the game to a worldwide audience.

Seven are showing in Australia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

royster999 wrote: »
    Did the weekend club league games feature the county players ?
    It was up to the clubs. Donal vaughan and Kenneth O'Malley have played for Ballinrobe the last two weekends. And will play Championship next weekend. I would imagine that is the last we will see of them for a while

irishgeo wrote: »
    sky are not showing to a worldwide audience just the uk and ireland.

GAAGO is showing the game to a worldwide audience.

Seven are showing in Australia

Sky are not showing it at all.
    It's on RTE

Its the hurling that sky are showing for there 1st game on the 7th june

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Incredible praise from Gooch for Higgins indeed, and then he is played in the forwards.... hopefully JH might take the hint ;)

Leitrim were poor from what I have read, but Rossies will be well up for it, we will either go there and dismantle them as we "should" been a Div 1 team, or we will go there an huff and puff and blow our own house down!!
    It can't be any worse than the wrist slashing sh!ite we had to watch yesterday.

• Advertisement

pity he wasent 10yrs younger and with duffy at his side they would make some team

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/1905142040-ciaran-mcdonald-still-has-that-old-magic-at-39-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Anybody caught much of Mayo minors this year? New faces to watch for? Sheroz Akram had heard of him from u14 with Ballaghadereen that he was talented. Bryan Reape I'v seen playing, well built for a minor, fast and a good overall footballer.

Out for 6-8 weeks apparently.

naughto wrote: »
    pity he wasent 10yrs younger and with duffy at his side they would make some team

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/1905142040-ciaran-mcdonald-still-has-that-old-magic-at-39-/

Perhaps we could graft his left foot onto Duffy?!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Prenty on madwest radio there, will be very few stand tickets available due to the number of season tickets.
    25 euro for seated area, 20 euro for terrace. 18,000 capacity.

Sounds like a real tight squeeze for Hyde park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    Prenty on madwest radio there, will be very few stand tickets available due to the number of season tickets.

When will season ticket holders have access to print tickets ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I hope they at least have the courtesy to take the sheep off the pitch in good time this year. Our lads got ****e all over their boots the last time.

km79 wrote: »
    When will season ticket holders have access to print tickets ?

He couldn't say, due to not knowing what curtain raiser will be on the day.
    Time they invested money in the Hyde instead of going out getting a team Rossie bus! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well, putting 18,000 into a stadium that can comfortably hold 30,000 isn't exactly a real tight squeeze.

Don't believe all the utter crap the Health & Safety scam industry come out with. Jobs for the boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

Time they invested money in the Hyde instead of going out getting a team Rossie bus! :D

County chairman Mick Fahy, at the Roscommon Gaels AGM a while back, said the bulldozers will be moving in after the Mayo game. Croke Park have allocated a significant sum of money (don't know how much) for the redevelopment of the Hyde. They were just waiting on the almost 40 year old row over the Hyde ownership to be resolved. It is now, so here's hoping things get cracking in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    County chairman Mick Fahy, at the Roscommon Gaels AGM a while back, said the bulldozers will be moving in after the Mayo game. Croke Park have allocated a significant sum of money (don't know how much) for the redevelopment of the Hyde. They were just waiting on the almost 40 year old row over the Hyde ownership to be resolved. It is now, so here's hoping things get cracking in a few weeks.

didnt we have the same row over who owned mc hale park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That bus is BAD ASS. Saw it at the U21 final in Tullamore. Want, want waaaaaaaant !!!!! :D

megadodge wrote: »

Michael Fahy would do good to remember that the pitch has to be playable until the county championship is over!

Great to see the Hyde finally getting the facelift it needs. It'll be painful being away all next year in the championship but it'll be worth it.

Anybody caught much of Mayo minors this year? New faces to watch for? Sheroz Akram had heard of him from u14 with Ballaghadereen that he was talented. Bryan Reape I'v seen playing, well built for a minor, fast and a good overall footballer.

Sheroz was on the U16 Mayo East team that won the Ted Webb Cup last year. An excellent young HB with pace to burn.

Another gift from Roscommon to Mayo to go alongside Cian Hanley and Darragh Dunne on this year's Mayo minor team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Sheroz was on the U16 Mayo East team that won the Ted Webb Cup last year. An excellent young HB with pace to burn.

Another gift from Roscommon to Mayo to go alongside Cian Hanley and Darragh Dunne on this year's Mayo minor team.

FFS get over it. Ballagh is designated in Mayo!!

Edit: a drunken outburst but my point stands.

Padkir wrote: »
    FFS get over it. Ballagh is designated in Mayo!!

Edit: a drunken outburst but my point stands.

Your point fell over. I hope you pint didn't ;)

To quote the Roscommon captain of Mayo:
    The exact geography of it is that we do everything in Roscommon except play football! We vote, we play community games and we play soccer in Roscommon. But the Gaelic football club is in Mayo. That goes back to a land rights issue back in the 1800s [....] In terms of everything else, it's a Roscommon place.

Sure even Andy reckons it's pretty much entirely Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Any chance of an upset against the Rossies boys? I would love to see us getting a fright, god be with the days of us getting scares in Pairc Sean and the likes. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot bigger of a gap now. The Mayo team looked very tired against Derry, look at how Donegal feel apart when we annihilated them last year. This Mayo team has as many if not more more hard training done than them. That said I can't see us not winning Connacht. At the same time, if we came up against a vibrant and energetic team in an AL quarter final there is the potential for a banana skin. We could well go all the way to another final but I can't see there being a re occurrence of 1951 :/ PS: Gavin Duffy's call up reminds me more of Ja Fallon's return than Taghd Kennelly's!!

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Any chance of an upset against the Rossies boys? I would love to see us getting a fright, god be with the days of us getting scares in Pairc Sean and the likes. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot bigger of a gap now. The Mayo team looked very tired against Derry, look at how Donegal feel apart when we annihilated them last year. This Mayo team has as many if not more more hard training done than them. That said I can't see us not winning Connacht. At the same time, if we came up against a vibrant and energetic team in an AL quarter final there is the potential for a banana skin. We could well go all the way to another final but I can't see there being a re occurrence of 1951 :/ PS: Gavin Duffy's call up reminds me more of Ja Fallon's return than Taghd Kennelly's!!

I'm not sure of the value of a "scare" is to the Mayo team, but I certainly would not rule out an upset in this game.

Roscommon will have improved on 2013, they are at home, and I for one am still not sure if this Mayo team have what it takes for 2014

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

The issue is not in Connacht for us. We will win fairly comfortably on the 8th, it might take a while to settle but we will pull away in the second half and win by 6 or more points.
    The problem lies with the big blue machine to the east. If the truth be known we are looking at footballs first professional team and they are going to be very very difficult to defeat. We are probably the only outfit in the country that can trouble them but they really are a serious team. Chances are better than 50/50 we will be playing them in September again with the outcome as unpalatable as it is. I've backed Mayo each way at 7/1 and think it's a cracking bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Always question the value of this "get a scare" thing as well. Mayo lost the AI final to Dublin last year. Dublin look to have improved, Mayo look to have gone backwards.

If they really need to almost lose to Roscommon to get them to train hard and focus at this stage they'd be better off getting to no AI final this year so ye won't have to listen to all the talk about how ye bottled it again when Dublin hop off ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

keane2097 wrote: »
    Always question the value of this "get a scare" thing as well. Mayo lost the AI final to Dublin last year. Dublin look to have improved, Mayo look to have gone backwards.

If they really need to almost lose to Roscommon to get them to train hard and focus at this stage they'd be better off getting to no AI final this year so ye won't have to listen to all the talk about how ye bottled it again when Dublin hop off ye.
    Got a scare off Sligo in 2012 and then mayo went on to knock Dublin out of the championship. Mayo probably peaked before the last two AI finals saving your best display for your last game would be key for mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Well the getting a scare thing is complete rubbish...you're either good enough or not...Dublin got plenty of scares in 2012 before losing to Mayo...people go on saying Mayo played poorly in last year's final and so did Dublin...in reality I think they just cancelled each other out for long periods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Well the getting a scare thing is complete rubbish...you're either good enough or not...Dublin got plenty of scares in 2012 before losing to Mayo...people go on saying Mayo played poorly in last year's final and so did Dublin...in reality I think they just cancelled each other out for long periods

I don't believe it to be rubbish in fairness the Dubs got a scare off Wexford in 2011 before winning the AI and last year Meath gave them a good game. While both Mayo,Dublin may have cancelled each other out in the final i think Mayo peaked in Donegal game last summer.
    I'm not sure of the value of a "scare" is to the Mayo team, but I certainly would not rule out an upset in this game.

Roscommon will have improved on 2013, they are at home, and I for one am still not sure if this Mayo team have what it takes for 2014

I'm surprised you are not sure. Over on the prediction thread i think you went for Mayo v Monaghan AI final with Mayo to win it. Why are you not as confident as last year is it mileage on the clock or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

keane2097 wrote: »
    Dublin look to have improved, Mayo look to have gone backwards.
    I have seen this said/written now numerous times. In last years league Mayo finished on 6 points sneaked into the semi final and lost it compared to this year finished on 9 points and lost the semi final again.

While Dublin like last year have won the league you could argue Dublin were in better form this time last year as Dublin got 11 points then compared to 9 points this year. In truth its unlikely to be known until about August if Dublin have improved or Mayo have gone backwards

I'm surprised you are not sure. Over on the prediction thread i think you went for Mayo v Monaghan AI final with Mayo to win it. Why are you not as confident as last year is it mileage on the clock or something else?

I'd like to think that Mayo would beat Roscommon by 10+ pts as they did last year.

The problem is that this Mayo team thus far have not shown me that that is something they can do. In two games this year where they had a chance to put a marker down they failed to do it (Dublin and Derry in NFL)

Unlike last year there are real questions about where this team are at, and how the loss of two finals in a row in going to effect, both mentally and physically, their abaility to win one in 2014.

If they get past Roscommon and do so in style then I'd be confident that they could get to another All Ireland fina, the A side of the draw is not stacked with good teams, Derry, Donegal, Kerry or Cork are the pick of them and a Mayo team that have an All Ireland in their sights would have no problems with any of the above in QFs or SFs

But the Roscommon game is , in my opinion, the banana skin.
    Roscommon have improved , they are at home, they will be up for it.
    Mayo may come in to this game cold and like v Derry and Dublin in the league not put in the effort to win it and exert their superior abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Expecting a very tough encounter against Roscommon in the Hyde on June 8th.Tad surprised with the widespread predictions of a proverbial walk in the park for Mayo.
    Roscommon football is very much on the up with their promotion,promising under 21s in spite of the final implosion.Unsure where our lads are at after the heartbreak of the 2 All Ireland defeats and the subsequent physical and mental toll.
    Our league campaign was none too convincing and ended in a particularly bad fashion.

Some of the posts would make you think that Roscommon will be the toughest opponents we will face this year. They will put it up to us alright but the real challenge for Mayo is making sure they get the fitness and conditioning right, enough to beat the Rossies but enough left in the tank for the rest of the year. Similar to the Galway game last year.

I'd be confident that we will win but it won't be easy. Roscommon have now established themselves at the number 2 team in Connacht, playing them in the Hyde won't be an easy prospect.

With their U-21 team on the up and the fact that they cruised to promotion, i'm expecting them to hit us hard and make life difficult, if we don't show up then things could get very tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Well done to the hurlers!!

Kalyke wrote: »
    Well done to the hurlers!!

Great win, that's them into the semis now.

Zippy was playing with them today I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement