Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldendoodle for sale?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

<snip>

Beagles are super little dogs from a personality point of view. They tend to be patient, playful, and good robust family dogs.
    The flip side: they tend to be incredibly stubborn, and many owners have serious recall difficulties with them as once that nose hits the ground, they're gone. They lose their hearing once their nose is engaged!
    The other flip side: beagles have become really popular in the past few years, and as a result are being bred by a larger amount of chancers. This is resulting in more of them with health problems, and very worryingly, aggression problems.
    For this reason, I'd strongly advise you to make contact with the breed society, because the chances are you'll fall foul of a dodgy breeder on donedeal. The ad you link to shows pups that are not registered (I assume he'd have said if they were... he'd also be charging more), and information about them is seriously lacking.
    I just cannot emphasise the importance of sourcing the breeder really carefully. It's just this simple: the chances of finding a really good breeder who is breeding a pup for you, not for their pockets, on *that* website, are slim.
    Here's the breed society: http://www.showdogsireland.com/BeagleClub/index.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

closifer wrote: »
    Would just like to point out that a lot of dogs that are "real" breeds started off as a mix between two existing breeds and after years became breeds in their own right. I used to have a shetland sheepdog - they were originally a mix between a king charles and a rough collie.

Likewise -Min Pinschers were a cross between an italian greyhound and a dachshund. there are numerous other examples. Some of these dogs (golden doodle, puggle etc etc) may well be officially recognised breeds in the future.

Sometimes "designer breeds" become real breeds. I think people are always a little quick to judge on this one...

Yes, but we bred those crosses to try and establish a breed that would suit whatever it was that it was needed for at the time. Border collies for herding, rottweilers as drover's dogs, huskies as sled dogs etc, what new need have we for new breeds when we already have 400+? And besides, these crosses are just for profit, that is all. Besides looking 'cute and fluffy', what other reason would someone cross a shih tzu with a cavalier? To make a loyal family pet; aren't both breeds already that anyway? Then you've got the problem of crossing two brachycephalic breeds together so you've got a dog with respiratory problems and a skull too small for its brain. Just look up any articles about the creator of the labradoodle, he regrets doing so completely as it opened the door for all these 'breeders' to line their pockets.

If there was a breeder out there properly breeding these crosses for several generation, with a good reason and with no intention of simply making money, then I dont think we would have the huge problems that we do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

For the last time, do not post links to done deal, do not quote them either.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

Have you not read or listened to what anyone had to say about done deal at all??

Not all are bad dealers actually. have you not read what everyone has said?
    I just cannot emphasise the importance of sourcing the breeder really carefully. It's just this simple: the chances of finding a really good breeder who is breeding a pup for you, not for their pockets, on *that* website, are slim.
    Here's the breed society: http://www.showdogsireland.com/BeagleClub/index.html

What do i do when i go onto this website?? I cant find any breeders?

kierancos wrote: »
    Everybody wants a dog in the house. Were only getting one now thats all - Some people are asking do my parents mind.

Also...
    Kierancos, I asked what your parents and other family members are looking for.
    By this I didn't mean, are they looking for a dog? I think we've established that:o
    I was looking for information on what sort of dog they'd ideally like? Not what it looks like, but what sort of personality they'd like? What sort of personality would they not like?
    Would you all like an easily-trained dog? Would you like male or female? Are there small kids in the house? Is there someone at home to train the pup?

Finally, you have already said you are allergic to dog hair. You asked what we thought about a Dalmatian. I pointed out that these moult.
    Beagles moult too. In fact, they're heavy shedders.
    And this is why I was asking you to make a list of what your needs are. There is no point in getting a dog that sheds if you're allergic to dog hairs. Seriously, I'm one of the people who, amongst other things, rescues and rehomes dogs. I really don't want to have to be one of the people to mop up after you when you've to give your moulting dog up in 6 months because your allergies have flared up due to a dog you knew would provoke your allergies.

So, make a list. I'll start it for you:

1. Must be low-shed, therefore not a Beagle or a Dalmatian.
    2. Contact the relevant breed society.
    3. Steer clear of internet sales sites as there's a good chance I won't find a reputable breeder or a healthy, well-balanced dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You have to contact the club and they will give a list of reputable breeders.

You then enquire when they are planning a litter of puppies. You could be on a waiting list as most good breeders have a waiting list as they dont breed too often.

You dont seem to know what you want to be honest.That ad you posted about Beagles looks well dodgy. No information on whether they are registered, and the heading of the ad was family pets, sorry, but a good breeder would not advertise like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That's because it's the breed club, not a dodgy advertising agency! You contact them after you have done all your research on the breed, they will be able to put you in contact with reputable breeders. It's likely you will have to go on a waiting list as reputable breeders are few and far between and most of their pups are already spoken for months before the dog is even bred.

<ETA - Cross posted with Andrea, sorry:D)

Great minds think alike AJ!!

So, make a list. I'll start it for you:

1. Must be low-shed, therefore not a Beagle or a Dalmatian.
    2. Contact the relevant breed society.
    3. Steer clear of internet sales sites as there's a good chance I won't find a reputable breeder or a healthy, well-balanced dog

1.Tbh im not really bothered about the low shed because its really only when they are on me for a good half hour that i start sneezing or need to take my inhaler.
    2.How do i do that?? :P
    3.Like donedeal i know but i dont know much as some people know about dogs.

Thanks for all the help!

1.Tbh im not really bothered about the low shed because its really only when they are on me for a good half hour that i start sneezing or need to take my inhaler.
    2.How do i do that?? :P
    3.Like donedeal i know but i dont know much as some people know about dogs.

Thanks for all the help!

Ring them.

• Advertisement

Who do I ring?

Not all are bad dealers actually. have you not read what everyone has said?

OK, I'm going to have a "with all due respect" moment.
    With all due respect, *some* people have posted that they got a grand dog from *that* website.
    Most of these also acknowledged that you do have to tread carefully doing this.
    Now, let me tell you the reality, despite what occasional individuals have experienced.
    I consider that people who are involved in rescue, and I mean actively taking dogs in, getting them ready to rehome, then rehoming them, and all that that entails, are the ones who really see what's going on with such internet sites. I know, because I get dozens and dozens of dogs into my rescue every year who were bought from *that* site.

Why do I get so many that were sourced from *that* site?
    1. Because they were bought impulsively by people who did not do their research
    2. Because they were bought by people who wouldn't get a pup from a reputable breeder because they'd be turned down due to having an entirely inappropriate lifestyle for owning a certain breed, or any breed of dog.
    2. Because they have temperament problems.
    3. Because they have health problems.

Let me point out, this is just me, on my own. I am almost at the point of asking the owner of *that* website to hand out my number with each ad that's posted, because there's a good chance the buyers are going to need it, or other rescues' numbers.
    There are dozens, maybe hundreds of rescue groups in Ireland experiencing the same. So, with all due respect, people who are mopping up the mess made by *that* site are much better placed to comment on the reality of buying a dog from *that* site, because we are not basing our opinions on one or two isolated good-luck stories.

Again, listen to the voice of experience, or don't. If you don't, then I hope you can live with the consequences when you're dealing with the increased chances that the whole thing will go belly up. Of course, I hope this doesn't happen, but quite frankly, I am sick to the back teeth of people trying to justify buying pups from a source they have been warned about.
    Like I say, it's people like me who (voluntarily) have to clear up their mess.

It says on the webpage, for any advice or information about breeders, email them.
    Again, you'll find info from these breeders that beagles moult and therefore should not be owned by people with allergies.

OK, I'm going to have a "with all due respect" moment.
    With all due respect, *some* people have posted that they got a grand dog from *that* website.
    Most of these also acknowledged that you do have to tread carefully doing this.
    Now, let me tell you the reality, despite what occasional individuals have experienced.
    I consider that people who are involved in rescue, and I mean actively taking dogs in, getting them ready to rehome, then rehoming them, and all that that entails, are the ones who really see what's going on with such internet sites. I know, because I get dozens and dozens of dogs into my rescue every year who were bought from *that* site.

Why do I get so many that were sourced from *that* site?
    1. Because they were bought impulsively by people who did not do their research
    2. Because they were bought by people who wouldn't get a pup from a reputable breeder because they'd be turned down due to having an entirely inappropriate lifestyle for owning a certain breed, or any breed of dog.
    2. Because they have temperament problems.
    3. Because they have health problems.

Let me point out, this is just me, on my own. I am almost at the point of asking the owner of *that* website to hand out my number with each ad that's posted, because there's a good chance the buyers are going to need it, or other rescues' numbers.
    There are dozens, maybe hundreds of rescue groups in Ireland experiencing the same. So, with all due respect, people who are mopping up the mess made by *that* site are much better placed to comment on the reality of buying a dog from *that* site, because we are not basing our opinions on one or two isolated good-luck stories.

Again, listen to the voice of experience, or don't. If you don't, then I hope you can live with the consequences when you're dealing with the increased chances that the whole thing will go belly up. Of course, I hope this doesn't happen, but quite frankly, I am sick to the back teeth of people trying to justify buying pups from a source they have been warned about.
    Like I say, it's people like me who (voluntarily) have to clear up their mess.

Quote:
    It says on the webpage, for any advice or information about breeders, email them.
    Again, you'll find info from these breeders that beagles moult and therefore should not be owned by people with allergies.

Ok sorry.
    That website doesnt give a email address??

Kierancos - Please read this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056235625

And I mean read it because it looks like you haven't read half of what people have put here. If you don't want to source a dog from a reputable breeder through the breed club then contact a rescue near you. Rescue dogs are equal if not better in quality to anything you are going to find in classified adverts, the difference is they are either free or for a donation to cover costs. They also come with backup support and information from the place they come from. They will also be able to match your circumstances with the right dog.

Everything you need to know about how to go about getting a dog is in that link, so start off by reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Why dont you go to the pound and just get a dog there - atleast that way if the dog has to go to the pound you're not adding to the problem!

It says you live in carlow

well heres the carlow - kilkenny dog pound -

http://www.carlowkilkennyds.ie/index.php?option=com_easygallery&Itemid=35

I'm not sure i really understand whats happening?

Are you telling you're parents what dog you want?
    Are they going to spend €600+ from a breeders club?

I find this thread very unbelievable.

Edit: Also what 15yr old whats a golden doodle? Wind up if i ever seen one!

Kierancos - Please read this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056235625

And I mean read it because it looks like you haven't read half of what people have put here. If you don't want to source a dog from a reputable breeder through the breed club then contact a rescue near you. Rescue dogs are equal if not better in quality to anything you are going to find in classified adverts, the difference is they are either free or for a donation to cover costs. They also come with backup support and information from the place they come from. They will also be able to match your circumstances with the right dog.

Everything you need to know about how to go about getting a dog is in that link, so start off by reading that.

Sorry didn't see that.
    Why dont you go to the pound and just get a dog there - atleast that way if the dog has to go to the pound you're not adding to the problem!

It says you live in carlow

well heres the carlow - kilkenny dog pound -

http://www.carlowkilkennyds.ie/index...lery&Itemid=35

I'm not sure i really understand whats happening?

Are you telling you're parents what dog you want?
    Are they going to spend €600+ from a breeders club?

I find this thread very unbelievable.

600 euro will not be spent.... so its either pound or donedeal.
    Edit: Also what 15yr old whats a golden doodle? Wind up if i ever seen one!

Your an ass. What kind of a dog do you want me to get?
    Great help..

600 euro will not be spent.... so its either pound or donedeal.

In Ireland, it really has got to the stage that you either source a great breeder and pay the extra couple of hundred quid (which, over the lifetime of a healthy dog, which you're more likely to get from a good breeder, is nothing. Let's say the average dog lives to 12 years, a conservative average. An extra €200 to buy a good pup is an extra €16 for each year of the pup's life. So, an extra €1.25 per month, on average. It's nothing!), or, you go to a reputable rescue and get a dog that has been assessed, neutered, vaccinated etc. Most will ask for a donation of around €100-150 to part-cover their expenses (believe me, at €150, most rescues will not break even).
    In both cases, you have recourse if things go wrong.
    A good breeder will take their pup back.
    A good rescue will take the dog back.
    A good breeder, and a good rescue, will support you every step of the way.
    A good breeder, and a good rescue, will make sure you have everything in place, and the right resources, to care for a dog for the next 12+ years.

With both, you may have to wait a little while before you get your dog: that's okay. Impulse buying a 12-year commitment is not a good thing anyway. By waiting for the right pup/dog, you get the right one. That's the critical thing here. Remember, it's a 12+ year commitment!

DBB wrote: »
    In Ireland, it really has got to the stage that you either source a great breeder and pay the extra couple of hundred quid (which, over the lifetime of a healthy dog, which you're more likely to get from a good breeder, is nothing. Let's say the average dog lives to 12 years, a conservative average. An extra €200 to buy a good pup is an extra €16 for each year of the pup's life. So, an extra €1.25 per month, on average. It's nothing!), or, you go to a reputable rescue and get a dog that has been assessed, neutered, vaccinated etc. Most will ask for a donation of around €100-150 to part-cover their expenses (believe me, at €150, most rescues will not break even).
    In both cases, you have recourse if things go wrong.
    A good breeder will take their pup back.
    A good rescue will take the dog back.
    A good breeder, and a good rescue, will support you every step of the way.
    A good breeder, and a good rescue, will make sure you have everything in place, and the right resources, to care for a dog for the next 12+ years.

With both, you may have to wait a little while before you get your dog: that's okay. Impulse buying a 12-year commitment is not a good thing anyway. By waiting for the right pup/dog, you get the right one. That's the critical thing here. Remember, it's a 12+ year commitment!

€600 is a lot though dont you think? Do you think that I should get a dog from the pund and pay 100-150? or go to a good breeder and pay more?

Funny you should say that about the 12 year+ life because one of our sheepdogs only died last week after 20 years ha..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

it wont cost you 100=150 to get a dog from thepount it will only cost 40 i think.i yhink you are waaaaaay better going down the pound route.do you already have a dog at home??

pokertalk wrote: »
    it wont cost you 100=150 to get a dog from thepount it will only cost 40 i think.i yhink you are waaaaaay better going down the pound route.do you already have a dog at home??

I live on a farm so we have three sheepdogs, ones only a pup. I;m well used to dogs like. But we've wanted a pet for a long time. Yea I agree about the pound. It would be nice to look at him and say that you have saved him. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I looking at donedeal now and theres a labrador cross free to a good home in cavan just up 10 hours-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Your an ass. What kind of a dog do you want me to get?
    Great help..

We do not tolerate name calling/abuse, please read the forum rules. If you have a problem with a post, use the 'report post' function (red&white triangle with ! in it beside each post)

Kieran I really do suggest you and your parents go visit a few local rescue centres or pounds and see if there might be a dog that would suit the family because you really don't seem set on a breed.
    There's mention of a goldendoodle / lab / beagle /you've had a collie and there's a good a chance as any you could find a similar dog that needs a home. Looking around the rescue and interacting with some of the dogs would be good also to note their temperament or see if you react to them (sneezing etc) and it might give you and your family a better idea of what ye actually want.

Kieran I really do suggest you and your parents go visit a few local rescue centres or pounds and see if there might be a dog that would suit the family because you really don't seem set on a breed.
    There's mention of a goldendoodle / lab / beagle /you've had a collie and there's a good a chance as any you could find a similar dog that needs a home. Looking around the rescue and interacting with some of the dogs would be good also to note their temperament or see if you react to them (sneezing etc) and it might give you and your family a better idea of what ye actually want.

Yea I think were going to the oound today, so well have a look there. Thanks for all the help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Yea I think were going to the oound today, so well have a look there. Thanks for all the help! :)

Let us know how you get on :) there's a page on facebook that posts pics of all the dogs in the Dunboyne pound looking for homes. Let me know if you need the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

ops just saw the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Shanao wrote: »
    Around this time of year there a lot of puppies and adult dogs in the pounds alright so there should be a few.

What do you think of these two dogs? Although, they do look very alike

apricot_std_poodle.jpg

GoldendoodleBaily9months3.JPG

that last pic is of a goldendoodle called Bailey
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/goldendoodle.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Please don't report posts from older threads that have already been actioned.
    Also can people please only reopen threads if they have very relevant information/comments to add.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement