Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldendoodle for sale?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Well lads, this is my first post so tell me if i'm doing anything wrong :)!

I've been looking for a Goldendoodle puppy for sale but can't find any on Donedeal. I live in Carlow so one for sale in Donegal won't be much use. If anyone knows where there is one for sale could ya let me know. :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Cant really help you out on that, and I'm not trying to be offensive, but just wondering if you realise that these are a 'designer breed', in other words a made-up name for a crossbreed, and no reputable breeders breed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

A Golden what? :eek:

I'm just gona sit here and watch this explode.... I dont expect you to get much help...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

Well what kind of a dog am i talking about? I don't really know much about dogs sorry ha :)! What kind of a dog would you call this -

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KR0totQEcBA/TWCLI2jlgrI/AAAAAAAAAtw/lbWEub9PCn8/s1600/Goldendoodle-Puppies-For-Sale-2.jpg

Thanks! :)

A goldendoodle is a cross between a retriever and a poodle, so basically a mongrel, that is bred for no other purpose than to make money for its breeder. It is not going to be a lowshed or nonshed dog as the breeder may claim as it takes more than one generation to produce a nonshed puppy. The parents of these puppies will also not have been healthtested so you're puppy will be at risk to all defects known in retrievers and poodles: heart problems, hips problems, elbow problems, eyes problems etc. From what I have seen of them they are extremely high maintenance dogs and many of them end up being somewhat aggressive because their owners cannot provide the physical and mental stimulation these highly intelligent dogs need.
    Can I ask what exactly is attracting you to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

op at least your coming here to do some research before buying a dog so fair play to yo please read this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056331541

• Advertisement

@Shanao Their looks really! ha

Oh forgot to say I have asthma and allergic to the fur so a non shed dog would be nice :)

Like I said, a goldendoodle wont be nonshed, they have to be a few generations in and hair samples have to be sent off to be tested before they can be called hypoallergenic, and even then you'll be lucky to get one puppy that is noneshed out of an entire litter. You'd be much better off with a purebred poodle from a good, responsible breeder.

Do you know of any other dogs that are non shed and that look nice? I don't think the poodle look that nice. I would like to buy a nice dog when im going to spend money at all, as they're fair dear.

How would you feel about one of these:
    1898_album.jpg

• Advertisement

There lovely but i'd like a golden coloured one if you know what I mean.

Well is it a big dog or a small dog you're thinking of getting? There are a few purebred dogs that are classed as low - nonshed, but if you are going to get one, best thing you can do is contact a reputable responsible breeder and spend a good half an hour in a room, near to the dogs so you can see if you're asthma flares up or not.

Those are Irish Water Spaniels above, unfortunately they dont come in gold.

Size isn't a problem as we have a huge garden and live in the country side but obviously i wouldnt like a big alsation because theres a 4 year old in the house so we would like a playful dog. Might go to the pound during the week either. Bet those dogs above are there! Look kind of like a Red Setter. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Kieracos no such dog breed exist as goldendoodle, and its actually a silly name.. You may have seen a dog called this type but really cop on and purchase a mayb spaniel they are great dog and loyal pet.. Yes you saw a mongrel called a hate too say goldendoodle and im laughfing as i write.... Dont know shano but i back him up and say pick good rescue and keep away from dog with fancy name....

Good on you for going to the pound. You'd be surprised what kinds of dogs people get rid of; some rescues and pounds may even have labradoodles or goldendoodles. The main thing though is that they are mongrels and people are charging outrageous money for something that has no health guarantees or kennel club papers.
    Funny you should say that about the alsation, i met a woman today who has a twelve month old one who is completely focused on her daughter the whole time; no matter what or where her daughter is, the dog is with her, plays with her and snuggles up with her. A lot of breeds are quite good with children, its just that people give them a bad name.

Ok know of any other dogs that fit the description ha?? :)

Thanks Shanao youve been a lot of help ha! You know what i mean about the alsation though ha.. Would there be mostly puppies in pound? I;m only 15 i got no idea ha..

Around this time of year there a lot of puppies and adult dogs in the pounds alright so there should be a few.

What do you think of these two dogs? Although, they do look very alike

apricot_std_poodle.jpg

GoldendoodleBaily9months3.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

kierancos at 15yrs old your too young too own an alsation, plus they recquire a lot of time and effort/ trainning....

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

john t wrote: »
    kierancos at 15yrs old your too young too own an alsation, plus they recquire a lot of time and effort/ trainning....
    you will also need to bring your parents with you:)

• Advertisement

Theyre lovely ha.. what are they?

They're both standard poodles, they just dont have the poodle show haircut. I wouldn't go counting out some breeds just yet:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Shanao, you is bold:D

But you beat me to it: the poodle left "in the rough" is a fine looking dog. I can understand why people might be put off by the, well, poncey look of the show-clipped poodle, but an unclipped poodle is a real head-turner. A super dog.;)

Ha yea I would have thought poodles would look a bit different than that but theyre loverly yea. Dou bt you'd find one of them into the pound though ha! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Hi, are your parent on board with you getting a dog, poodles require alot of grooming, are you going to do this yourself or take him/her to the groomers, (who's going to pay?).

There are some lovely black lab pups looking for homes on Last Hope Charity in Navan.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=232880840085518&set=t.100000393638965&type=1&theater
    Just a thought regarding this breed.

Yea theyre the ones who want the dog ha! You dont need to groom them if theyre like the ones above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

well lad you're 15 and at your age you might think it would be deadly to get a dog but have a long hard think about it -

Are you're parents getting this dog under the condition that you'll be the only one looking after it?

Also a goldendoodle which i can only assume would be a golden retriever/poodle cross - both those breed of dogs need a lot of exercise and a lot of mental stimulation - and will you/family be capable of doing this day in day out for the next 8-12 years?

I'm not saying you should not get a dog - all im saying is maybe get a dog that will be easier to meet its requirments because a young lad like yourself will be wanting to go to college or hang out with mates and you wont really have the time to really give the dog what it need in a few years time when you're 18-19 espiecally a dog like a goldendoodle -

Maybe get a smaller terrier thats hypogenic or even go to the pound/rescue and pick up a small/medium short haired terrier -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

garkane wrote: »
    A Golden what? :eek:

I'm just gona sit here and watch this explode.... I dont expect you to get much help...

That is just a pointless post, please don't post like that in future

I'm glad to see Shanao being very helpful in trying to idenify other dogs that may suit the OP.

Kierancos - it's good that you will also look in the pounds/rescues as you may find a dog that suits you there. Please do listen to the decent advice given in the thread (as you seem to be doing already).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Shanao wrote: »
    They're both standard poodles, they just dont have the poodle show haircut. I wouldn't go counting out some breeds just yet:D

Are you sure they are standard poodles?? They dont look like standard poodles to me at all. There muzzles are far too wide as a standard poodles are much narrower and their head wouldnt be as broad as that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kierancos wrote: »
    Yea theyre the ones who want the dog ha! You dont need to groom them if theyre like the ones above :D

You'll still need to do some grooming now matter how non-shed the dog is. They get wet and mucky and smelly, roll in poo etc :pac: I find it's not the fur that causes me problems (on inhalers and steroids all year round) it's the dander/dead skin. I have a retriever and I keep him well groomed so doesn't cause me any problems at all. By well groomed I mean that he swims at least once a week so that loosens the hair - i just brush him down once he's dry and I don't have any problems at all. I've only gotten him professionally groomed once and he rolled in poo then jumped in the river the next day so never again lol:pac::pac:
    I don't know anyone with a goldendoodle but I know somebody with a labradoodle and his fur is always getting matted. I'm sure I've read posts here from groomers who have said the same thing - that their coats can get matted easily and need a lot of care.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement