Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do prisoners have so many rights?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Fremen wrote: »
    Most people arguing in favour of harsh sentences aren't interested in rehabilitation, they're out for revenge.

If you ask me, a government shouldn't behave like a person, and shouldn't be capable of wanting revenge. It should make decisions rationally, coldly and scientifically.

Revenge? Personally I'm against squandering countless millions to cater for the rights of hooligans, scumbags, drug dealers, rapists, and murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Citing Joe Arpaio as anything other than a prime example of corruption and gross negligence masquerading as justice is the fastest way to show you don't have the slightest hint of a notion of what you're on about.

So cheers for that, saves a lot of effort.

Thank you. Better be like him that the tree-hugging, money-squandering buffoons that champion prisoner's "rights".:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Just bring back the Chain Gangs..theres plenty of work needs doing like Cutting Hedges,sweeping roads,general maintenance,road works etc...make them earn there keep and tell all the doogooders and human right brigade to go and find another proper cause to fight for,and then maybe there will be a bigger deterent for them not to re offend or offend in the first place.And if that dosnt work well JUST SHOOT THEM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Thank you. Better be like him that the tree-hugging, money-squandering buffoons that champion prisoner's "rights".:rolleyes:

No, not really.
    Stop flaunting your ignorance, it's not big or clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Shenshen wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I suspect the biggest junk of those €2k are the prison wardens' salaries.

Why do people say junk instead of chunk? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

They are not ambi-turners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

i dont think officers are paid enough for amount of crap they have to put up with,such as been assaulted,piss and shít thrown at them,slashed with makeshift knifes,death threats,cleaning up after dirty protests.

i think the china approach of bullet in head is best for some of these prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

i dont think officers are paid enough for amount of crap they have to put up with,such as been assaulted,piss and shít thrown at them,slashed with makeshift knifes,death threats,cleaning up after dirty protests.

i think the china approach of bullet in head is best for some of these prisoners.

If you start doing that, chances are you could have a riot on your hands.
    And not just inside the prison either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I think public hangings would be the way to go, you could charge an admittance fee which could be used to compensate the victims of crime. Unlike bullets, a rope can be used more than once too, provided it doesn't break of course.

A few years ago I visited the museum of torture in Prague and I have to admit I found the exhibits and the uses to which they were put to be absolutely hilarious - so much so that I drew a big smiley face in the guest book when I was leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Reading this thread is hilarious, Most of ye have no idea what so ever about life for prisoners, prison officers or the courts service for that matter, I reckon most of ye are repeating pub talk or sensationalist newspaper coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

And morally acceptable by the silent majority in this country.

THIS FELLA would settle it fairly fast.:)

That guy's a friggin' legend! Imagine someone here having the balls and determination to do even a fraction of what he has done?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Is it true they get Sky Sports?
    A guy in the USA 'robbed' a bank for €1, then sat down in the bank. Wanted to go to jail as he was in bad health and thought he'd get care in jAil but couldn't afford it outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

CorkMan wrote: »
    The purpose of jail, as laid out by the government, is to take away someones freedom. So why does it cost €2k a week to house them?

Just put them in a room, throw some bread and some soup in once or twice a day and give them a place to excrete. That would cost much less than €2k a week, so why isn't it being done? Also the issue of overcrowding, just build another building next door, make sure it's secure (ie no big windows in a cell, big solid door) and there ya go.

Thing is though, it isn't. People are put into prison as they are believed to be a threat to the general public, and should not be released until their rehabilitation. How would denying them of basic rights and treating them like dirt make them better people? If they come out having being treated like that, they won't have been rehabilitated and will most likely re-offend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Sherrif Joe is far too much of a tree-hugging, compassionate, limp-wristed pinko when it comes to dealing with prisoners. Now the North Koreans on the other hand could come over to Ireland and show us a thing or two...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

"Our inmate population has grown from 4800 when I became Sheriff to now 10,000 or so." Yep looks like he's settled the crime problem all right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Put them in a large quarry like similar to that film No escape so they can fight it out for our amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Battle Royale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    The purpose of jail, as laid out by the government, is to take away someones freedom. So why does it cost €2k a week to house them?

Just put them in a room, throw some bread and some soup in once or twice a day and give them a place to excrete. That would cost much less than €2k a week, so why isn't it being done? Also the issue of overcrowding, just build another building next door, make sure it's secure (ie no big windows in a cell, big solid door) and there ya go.

Thing is though, it isn't. People are put into prison as they are believed to be a threat to the general public, and should not be released until their rehabilitation. How would denying them of basic rights and treating them like dirt make them better people? If they come out having being treated like that, they won't have been rehabilitated and will most likely re-offend.
    Where he said "as laid out by the government" what he meant to say was "as far as I know". Because of course, it's not laid out by the government. I'm guessing he just wanted to sound more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Yes lets all round up prisoners and kill them!

Reactionary shi*te out some people
    Peisoners need food, shelter, clothes, exercise and other things to sustain living such as medicine, stimulation
    While.all while being confined as punishment

If we start denying priosoners basic human we might aswell go back living in caves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

Waste of money whatever it costs to house prisoners.

My brother is locked up and a few times he's said "it's like a hotel in here"

The prison system is fcuked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Because Ireland is now too " PC "

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

This has nothing to do this the main topic or prison, but in Saudi Arabia if you still you get your hand cut off. Even during prayer where everyone prays thieves do not steal. Violence against crime is a deterrent IMO.

It might be your opinion, and you are entitled to it.
    That doesn't change the fact that there is no basis whatsoever to your opinion. Most studies, and indeed most obvious evidence, show that there is little to no deterence function in the gravity of the potential sentence.

If you are looking to deter crime, your best bet is to make it as likely as possible that whoever comits a crime will get caught and sentenced.
    So instead of trying to safe money on inmates, you would need to spend serious amounts of it on the police services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

mattjack wrote: »
    this Siberian Government you speak of...? there is no country called Siberia.

And Why not ????

Siberian Independence NOW I say -Saoirse do Shiberia (possibly makey up spelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

mikeyboy wrote: »
    "Our inmate population has grown from 4800 when I became Sheriff to now 10,000 or so." Yep looks like he's settled the crime problem all right :D

Or to put it another way, there's 5,200 less scumbags on the streets.
    Thats working to me..!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why don't we exercise their right to die more often? Especially for the scum who commit serious crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Donald Draper

because they are human.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Shenshen wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I suspect the biggest junk of those €2k are the prison wardens' salaries.

So if you're happy enough not to guard prisons any more, that would be the biggest saving.

2k week per prisoner, and you say the majority of this is salaries?
    Even if there were 2 prison guards for every 1 prisoner, that would still be a high salary (1k a week each)!!

Surely the ratio of guards to prisoners must be much lower - or overcrowding in prisons would be due to all the flippin guards in the building!!

So whats the breakdown on this? Does salary really make sense to explain away that 2k?

(I know they probably work shifts - but even with 3-8 hour shifts, that still would have 1 guard on 1k salary per week for every 1.5 prisoners - still doesn't add up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Why don't we exercise their right to die more often? Especially for the scum who commit serious crimes.

because we can't afford a firing squad because we are spending millions trying to deport asylum seekers.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Catholicism is very strong on forgiveness but not when to stop forgiving .Too much of it is counter productive and therefore becomes an evil in it's amount.We are to behave in an unrealistically human way to always forgive and love everybody.There has to be a line on such ideas ...and we never got any and guilty feelings always go with punishments here until we are the victim..We are too soft and there are too many unfit people with polling cards.JUSTICE should be tempered with mercy but not cancelled out by it.And so our prisons overflow...and it's that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

Why does everyone think that a "scumbag" ends up in prison?.

You can be sent there for not paying a fine,manslaughter *yes and i mean the sort where you could killed someone by accident when you where defending yourself*,or drug use.

People sent to prison are someones son or daughter,they not all scoobs,some people do make mistakes,some people are sent to prison because there's no place for them in the mental health facilities.

if we want to get "tough" on crime whilst still be in the european union,we could take a look at the uk system of tariffs or "jailing for public protection" if someone is dangerous but does not warrant an life sentence.

Sentences are usually reduced for good behaviour and im sure many do want that option to get out there as fast as they can,i cant imagine the sight of sitting in cell looking at cellmate taking a shít into a bucket.

I agree with that. I was in prison earlier this year, not for long but for long enough not to want to go back.

What rights that prisoners have do you think they shouldn't?

Maybe if you have a crap life on the outside it isn't too bad but if you have a decent life it is bad when you end up in there.

What righst would you change?
    Being in a basement cell with 6 or 7 lads and just getting a mattress to sleep on?
    Not having a toilet in your cell and having to slop out?
    Kept in cells because there aren't enough staff to let you out?

I'm not moaning about what it was like because I probably deserved to be there but people don't have much of an idea what it is like and just go on about what they hear.

Lads said it has got stricter in there lately especially with visits and keeping drugs out ( I actually think that is good). People give out about prisoners having TV and stuff but if they didn't there would be more trouble as at least it keeps you occupied. Just imagine what it would be like to be locked up each night at 8 o'clock with nothing to do.

If you were facing some time inside I guarantee you would be ****ting it.

Oh and I'm sure that most of the money goes on wages for the prison officers.

Advertisement