Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do prisoners have so many rights?

Options
  • 26-08-2011 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

The purpose of jail, as laid out by the government, is to take away someones freedom. So why does it cost €2k a week to house them?

Just put them in a room, throw some bread and some soup in once or twice a day and give them a place to excrete. That would cost much less than €2k a week, so why isn't it being done? Also the issue of overcrowding, just build another building next door, make sure it's secure (ie no big windows in a cell, big solid door) and there ya go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

They don't have any rights in the prison forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

CorkMan wrote: »
    The purpose of jail, as laid out by the government, is to take away someones freedom. So why does it cost €2k a week to house them?

Just put them in a room, throw some bread and some soup in once or twice a day and give them a place to excrete. That would cost much less than €2k a week, so why isn't it being done? Also the issue of overcrowding, just build another building next door, make sure it's secure (ie no big windows in a cell, big solid door) and there ya go.

Oh look, it's this shit again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Because we'd rather piss against the wind trying to "rehabilitate" scum rather than punishing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Have you seen the inside of Mountjoy? Pray that neither you or anybody you love ends up there. It's hell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I could be wrong, but I suspect the biggest junk of those €2k are the prison wardens' salaries.

So if you're happy enough not to guard prisons any more, that would be the biggest saving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Rights are there to protect everyone. Human rights came about after the disgusting loss of life witnessed during WW2.

Be thankfull for them because they just might end up protecting you some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Just put them in a room, throw some bread and some soup in once or twice a day and give them a place to excrete tinkle.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭supermonkey

You are a man of rare intellectual ability!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Prisoners' rights are all very well and good but nobody warns you to watch out for their lefts.

"One-Two-Uniflu!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

NSNO wrote: »
    Have you seen the inside of Mountjoy? Pray that neither you or anybody you love ends up there. It's hell.

Good, prison should be like this. With this Countries history of suspended sentences for quite serious crimes it's quite obvious that those in prison deserve to be here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

IngazZagni wrote: »
    G it's quite obvious that those in prison deserve to be here.

Have you the internet in prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Insurgent wrote: »

They're like hotels Joe, HOTELS!

Bring back the iron maiden, being alive is too good for them I say!

Rights are there to protect everyone. Human rights came about after the disgusting loss of life witnessed during WW2.

Be thankfull for them because they just might end up protecting you some time.

I would argue that if you were convicted of purposely taking someone's life, you don't deserve rights. The fact that they live in relative comfort after this really irritates me.

Haha, no but there are TV's, Playstations and various other things to keep criminals entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Because that would be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Few bars of soap. Be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Lets give them keys as well so they can come and go as they please. That's more or less what happens anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

They should contract the Prison Service out to The Siberian Government for the serious criminals.They would do it for a fraction of the cost . Our Prison Service is managed as a business as were the Psychiatric Hospitals .Clinics too have become businesses.Across the water Thatcher came along and saw what the game was and closed them down and sheepishly we followed but Prison Costs are terrible.We also have A Massive Security Industry that didnt exist not many decades ago.Plenty of Law and Order in this country would reduce the Stress and Crime in this country but would'nt be popular in some places.A lot of our crime and psychiatric costs are very anxiety and stress related.Not all though it's not an exact Science or even a simple issue.It needs VERY strong Government policies and from weak governments it's not going to happen.It's not realistic to expect such a tremendous change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

While I kind of understand why the gardai dont have batons, I do NOT understand why prison officers dont have batons.

I would argue that if you were convicted of purposely taking someone's life, you don't deserve rights. The fact that they live in relative comfort after this really irritates me............

Crimes other than murder and manslaughter carry custodial sentances you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

And we can all do a sweepstake on how long it takes each one to completely lose their sanity. Freedom really is free choice people in prision do not have that, their routine is dictated to them. Is the best part of your life really playing the xbox?

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Crimes other than murder and manslaughter carry custodial sentances you know ;)

Do you get my point though? There are different levels of crime. Murder is on another level to an un-armed robbery. Both deserve prison but the former don't deserve rights or life with comfort.

Because being left-handed is an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Do you get my point though? There are different levels of crime. Murder is on another level to an un-armed robbery. Both deserve prison but the former don't deserve rights or life with comfort.

No the difference in punishment should be the length of the sentence, I am hugely in favour of coming down HARD on serious crime, but taking away peoples human rights is not the way to go about doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Because the system is a joke.

When you read about phones, pool tables and Game consoles you have to wonder you really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Haha, no but there are TV's, Playstations and various other things to keep criminals entertained.
    Actually those are given to keep them from constantly rioting. Unless you want the cost of the Prison Service to skyrocket with riot police on constant standby then you have to reward good or rather not bad behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Jethro, go git the rope, we is gonna have ourselves a lot o' hangins. We is gonna save €2k per week for each hangin. YEEHAW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

paddyandy wrote: »
    They should contract the Prison Service out to The Siberian Government for the serious criminals.They would do it for a fraction of the cost . Our Prison Service is managed as a business as were the Psychiatric Hospitals .Clinics too have become businesses.Across the water Thatcher came along and saw what the game was and closed them down and sheepishly we followed but Prison Costs are terrible.We also have A Massive Security Industry that didnt exist not many decades ago.Plenty of Law and Order in this country would reduce the Stress and Crime in this country but would'nt be popular in some places.A lot of our crime and psychiatric costs are very anxiety and stress related.Not all though it's not an exact Science or even a simple issue.It needs VERY strong Government policies and from weak governments it's not going to happen.It's not realistic to expect such a tremendous change.

this Siberian Government you speak of...? there is no country called Siberia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Only on me iPhone bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

They can house one or two of them with me. I'll only charge a grand a week...food and electricity included.

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    Actually those are given to keep them from constantly rioting. Unless you want the cost of the Prison Service to skyrocket with riot police on constant standby then you have to reward good or rather not bad behaviour.

Why do they riot? Because they can. Prison wardens are not armed and it's unlikely they will be punished meaningfully for stepping out of line.
    No the difference in punishment should be the length of the sentence, I am hugely in favour of coming down HARD on serious crime, but taking away peoples human rights is not the way to go about doing this.
    It's this sort of attitude that will have someone like Anders Behring Breivik who brutally murdered over 70 people, including children and destroyed the livelihoods of hundreds living in a comfortable cell for the rest of his life because he "deserves" human rights. Really?

Advertisement