Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do prisoners have so many rights?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

mattjack wrote: »
    this Siberian Government you speak of...? there is no country called Siberia.

It always happens some genius finds a minor misnomer and DISMISSES EVERYTHING it always happens.The f***king wheel could never have begun in ireland.It's especially an IRISH problem.We kill great ideas before birth.Only for the presense of ENGLAND we'd still be in caves and septs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Why do they riot? Because they can. Prison wardens are not armed and it's unlikely they will be punished meaningfully for stepping out of line.

Yes, that's why in the US, where the guards are armed, and governments are allowed to kill people, they have so very few prison riots... oh, wait....
    It's this sort of attitude that will have someone like Anders Behring Breivik who brutally murdered over 70 people, including children and destroyed the livelihoods of hundreds living in a comfortable cell for the rest of his life because he "deserves" human rights. Really?

Really.
    Two wrongs never make a right, and the justice system is about justice, not about revenge. The clue is in the name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

paddyandy wrote: »
    It always happens some genius finds a minor misnomer and DISMISSES EVERYTHING it always happens.The f***king wheel could never have begun in ireland.It's especially an IRISH problem.We kill great ideas before birth.Only for the presense of ENGLAND we'd still be in caves and septs.

*lol

Sounds like you never, ever lived abroad, or just even posted on any international forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

It's this sort of attitude that will have someone like Anders Behring Breivik who brutally murdered over 70 people, including children and destroyed the livelihoods of hundreds living in a comfortable cell for the rest of his life because he "deserves" human rights. Really?

No sane person does this. I trust the Norwegians to deal with it in the correct manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

NSNO wrote: »
    Have you seen the inside of Mountjoy? Pray that neither you or anybody you love ends up there. It's hell.

Ahmmm, is that not what prison is supposed to be like???

Or should we just house them in places like the Shelbourne Hotel...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

CorkMan wrote: »
    The purpose of jail, as laid out by the government, is to take away someones freedom. So why does it cost €2k a week to house them?

Just put them in a room, throw some bread and some soup in once or twice a day and give them a place to excrete. That would cost much less than €2k a week, so why isn't it being done? Also the issue of overcrowding, just build another building next door, make sure it's secure (ie no big windows in a cell, big solid door) and there ya go.

We'd have he international community down on us like a ton of bricks, I know it may have passed a lot of people in Ireland, but it's not middle ages anymore.

We've been softened up by TV characters.Real Criminals are not like TV's .One of the reasons i got rid of mine was i felt i was putting money into EVIL.I don't buy products if i know they are advertised on tv and never a newspaper or magazine.....evil all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Why do they riot? Because they can. Prison wardens are not armed and it's unlikely they will be punished meaningfully for stepping out of line.

Stop, and think for a moment why its a good idea for prison wardens not to be armed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Have you seen the inside of Mountjoy? Pray that neither you or anybody you love ends up there. It's hell.

Good. They must be doing something right. What do you want it to be? A holiday camp?:confused:

Because that would be illegal.

And morally acceptable by the silent majority in this country.

THIS FELLA would settle it fairly fast.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

We've been softened up by TV characters.Real Criminals are not like TV's .One of the reasons i got rid of mine was i felt i was putting money into EVIL.I don't buy products if i know they are advertised on tv and never a newspaper or magazine.....evil all of them.

facepalm ascii

And Independent....with our own language still intact. Yeah, England were great.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Why does everyone think that a "scumbag" ends up in prison?.

You can be sent there for not paying a fine,manslaughter *yes and i mean the sort where you could killed someone by accident when you where defending yourself*,or drug use.

People sent to prison are someones son or daughter,they not all scoobs,some people do make mistakes,some people are sent to prison because there's no place for them in the mental health facilities.

if we want to get "tough" on crime whilst still be in the european union,we could take a look at the uk system of tariffs or "jailing for public protection" if someone is dangerous but does not warrant an life sentence.

Sentences are usually reduced for good behaviour and im sure many do want that option to get out there as fast as they can,i cant imagine the sight of sitting in cell looking at cellmate taking a shít into a bucket.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    And Independent....with our own language still intact. Yeah, England were great.:rolleyes:

We got independance and look at us.....The Language we've pushed aside .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Mustn't be bad enough, as plenty seem to yo-yo in and out of the place. If it really was hell then thugs might think twice about breaking the law and thus ending up back in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

We have been independent for the very large part of a century now and the country isn't exactly in a great state.

Every child in the country studies Irish for a decade plus and fluency hasn't exactly rocketed, has it? Many are looking for the subject to made optional. The state of the Irish language or lack there of has nothing to do with England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

And morally acceptable by the silent majority in this country.

THIS FELLA would settle it fairly fast.:)

Citing Joe Arpaio as anything other than a prime example of corruption and gross negligence masquerading as justice is the fastest way to show you don't have the slightest hint of a notion of what you're on about.

So cheers for that, saves a lot of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

COYW wrote: »
    Mustn't be bad enough, as plenty seem to yo-yo in and out of the place. If it really was hell then thugs might think twice about breaking the law and thus ending up back in there.

They **** in a bucket.

They honest to God **** in a bucket.

The reason it doesn't work is that there is no proof that harsh sentences deters crime - FFS we used to hang people for stealing watches, and guess what - people still stole.

There is no evidence that harsh sentencing deters crime, there is evidence that rehabilitation, if properly funded can work in some cases (Norway for instance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

They **** in a bucket.

The reason it doesn't work is that there is no proof that harsh sentences deters crime - FFS we used to hang people for stealing watches, and guess what - people still stole.

There is no evidence that harsh sentencing deters crime, there is evidence that rehabilitation, if properly funded can work in some cases (Norway for instance).

This has nothing to do this the main topic or prison, but in Saudi Arabia if you still you get your hand cut off. Even during prayer where everyone prays thieves do not steal. Violence against crime is a deterrent IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

They **** in a bucket.

Do you always say everythig twice?

Do you always say everything twice?

sorry, I'm bored :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shane L

Violence and negligence be-gets more violence and negligence. Your idea of a prison sounds likes Fritzels basement.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Everyone go read up on the Stanford Prison Experiment.

EDIT: Here's a link to a semi-decent documentary on the thing:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=677084988379129606

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Lame strawman argument. You're arguing that a one-in-a million case should set the standard for the other 99.9999%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

They **** in a bucket.

Most people arguing in favour of harsh sentences aren't interested in rehabilitation, they're out for revenge.

If you ask me, a government shouldn't behave like a person, and shouldn't be capable of wanting revenge. It should make decisions rationally, coldly and scientifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Shenshen wrote: »

Really.
    Two wrongs never make a right, and the justice system is about justice, not about revenge. The clue is in the name.

I don't see how a murderer being locked up in a basic cell with basic facilities is revenge. To me that's justice. Sentencing him to death would be revenge in my opinion. Is locking someone up in a comfortable cell with entertainment facilities justice for say a friends death? I don't believe so.
    ChRoMe wrote: »
    Stop, and think for a moment why its a good idea for prison wardens not to be armed.

Remember I'm only talking about batons here, not guns or anything. Direct contact wardens probably shouldn't but back-up units within the prison should I feel.
    Fremen wrote: »
    Lame strawman argument. You're arguing that a one-in-a million case should set the standard for the other 99.9999%.

It still happened though. But this applies to pretty much all murders. I used this because it's a recent example.

edit
    If you ask me, a government shouldn't behave like a person, and shouldn't be capable of wanting revenge. It should make decisions rationally, coldly and scientifically.
    Wouldn't we all love that? Unfortunately we don't live in such an ideal world. We live in a Country were the legal profession run the system, hence why we see so many people being let off for all sorts of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Blah blah blah.

Do you know what happens when people are left in the way you describe? There was a study in 2004 (I think) where people were left in various forms of sensory deprivation, from no human contact to pitch black darkness, can't move and can't hear. In less than a day, two people started hallucinating. After two days, the person in complete deprivation had to be extracted from the study because they feared for his health. Human rights are rights no matter what, because even if you're an absolute wanker, no one deserves to be treated worse than a circus animal. These things breed even more violence, even if you're not violently inclined. True story, my Uncle was stabbed to death by his wife. Do I want her to go to prison? Sh!t yeah I do, but do I want her to sat in a cell completely alone with zero stimulation? Not at all, because I enjoy having morals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

CorkMan wrote: »
    Violence against crime is a deterrent IMO.
    nope,in the states the "get tough on crime" has not reduced offences,only thing has changed is getting someone elected to political office.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Because it's the law.

It's not the wardens, or the prison service fault.
    It's the law.

If you think it should be done differently then you should complain to your local TD, not your local internet forum.

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »
    The state of the Irish language or lack there of has nothing to do with England.
    :confused:WTF?

Advertisement