Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Im after reading the link bubble provided so thats a no jim. im staying away. Limp mode would be no good to me in the arse hole of nowhere with the nearest competent mechanic 4 hrs away.

Avantime NAY....not at 10 grand a pop:eek:, Ill offer 6 tomorrow, he can only say no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Right lads, getting slightly mad ideas here. Well, for the future actually.

Changing job, and as there's no parking, I'll be using the bus for commuting. So no need for a daysul car, as the annual mileage will drop to about half (8- 10,000 km per year).

Been thinking 525 or 728. Good idea/ bad idea?

840i or nothing tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

dgt wrote: »
    If it were me I'd be going the other way with engine size....

Higher? Lower? Why so?

Jimbob 83 wrote: »

840i or nothing tbh

Would love to, but couldn't justify the tax.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

pred racer wrote: »
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    Did ya find the sport button?

I had one of them as a rental and was stuck in economy mode for the first hour or so.
    Painfully slow :mad:

When I found the "Sport" mode it was a LOT better.

Found the sport setting:D
    Now it goes a little better, but its nearly undriveable in traffic,
    So normal in traffic, and sprt when it opens out a bit.
    Thanks mate!

No bother.
    It was wrecking my head in the rental I had too! and it's not clear as the whole display changes depending on what u press.

Kinda glad it wasn't just me that got caught out with it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Higher? Lower? Why so?

I would think you might as well go for 740 m8. Or 330

............. (8- 10,000 km per year).

Been thinking 525 or 728. Good idea/ bad idea?

Well if you are thinking of getting a 10 ish year old one depreciation won't be a huge issue, nor fuel costs at those miles, so it's only the road tax which is a negative (once you don't buy a sh1tbox needing money thrown at it), which realistically isn't quite the sh1tter it's made out to be once your happy driving the car.

I'd tot up all the public transport costs first though as they can be significant enough over the course of a year :)

728 tax would be comparble

I would think you might as well go for 740 m8. Or 330

330 too small. Have one junior already (he's 10), and there will more than likely be at least one more in the next two years.

740 I would love, and hating to use this as an excuse, I couldn't justify the tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Something like this Chuck:

no-image-large.gif

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330-CI/29613468555225250/advert?channel=CARS

I know the alloys are fairly mank but at that price, you wouldn't mind would you?

I realise that it looks as though I'm being a BMW fan-boi but I'm not. I saw that car when I was buying mine so I know it's in good condition.

728 tax would be comparble

Valid point. For some bizarre reason, thought the 740 was over €2,000 per year.

Perhaps a 740 so.

Get a hatchback version and we can grow the boardsies hot hatch collection

Just did that yesterday myself :)

Picked up a 106 Rallye.

2012-09-10184748.jpg

I know the alloys are fairly mank but at that price, you wouldn't mind would you?

Ah Dave, them alloys are totally gick looking!!! Nice idea though, but three door is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Something like this Chuck:

no-image-large.gif

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330-CI/29613468555225250/advert?channel=CARS

I realise that it looks as though I'm being a BMW fan-boi but I'm not. I saw that car when I was buying mine so I know it's in good condition.

Jesus, a bit less saturation in those pictures maybe? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Picked up a 106 Rallye.

That is absolutely savage man! I'd say she's some craic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

In much the same light as Alan, I hadn't driven mine for ages! Finally forked out for insurance and went on off up the mountains. My god, it's just so good, the noise off the 1.6 TS engine is actually sublime. Wasted through €25 of petrol but oh so worth it. It's just so responsive and grants its not particularly fast fast buts it's just top quality.

I laughed at the other students coming out of college today in their 1.0 Polos...

Diesel can absolutely get stuffed at this stage....:D

...........thought the 740 was over €2,000 per year.

In fairness, paid quarterly it's €1900 so you're not far off. Realistically you won't be putting €1683 on the screen in one go :)

Ah Dave, them alloys are totally gick looking!!! Nice idea though, but three door is out.

I did say that the alloys were mank! What's your budget and what kind of car are you looking for? I'm very happy that you're looking for big-engined petrol. Well done :pac:
    166man wrote: »
    I laughed at the other students coming out of college today in their 1.0 Polos...

I can tell you, when I was in college, I was happy and lucky to have a car at all, let alone a car of my own :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

kupus wrote: »
    so just like alot of renaults ive reviewed, pity I though this might be a little different as it was their flagship model from that time
    Avantime do anything for you??

As far as im concerned stay away from that other reno. :eek: The last thing you want is a car with a limp problem-o, As for the Avantime, I don't know to be honest. I had a quick google about and there dosnt seem to be any common problem-o`s. But I will keep my eyes peeled for that car. I did find this though, a interview on a owner of a Avantime.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25312

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I can tell you, when I was in college, I was happy and lucky to have a car at all, let alone a car of my own :(

Not what I meant, I meant as people buying small 2004+ Polos for €3k+ these days and mines worth max of €1k, I have IMO a far nicer car for an awful lot less money. Just a point I made it wasn't meant to sound arrogant. Apologies :)

• Advertisement

As far as im concerned stay away from that other reno. :eek: The last thing you want is a car with a limp problem-o, As for the Avantime, I don't know to be honest. I had a quick google about and there dosnt seem to be any common problem-o`s. But I will keep my eyes peeled for that car. I did find this though, a interview on a owner of a Avantime.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25312

2000 POUND for a windscreen, ah maybe not so !! but its still a beauty in my eyes

Picked up a 106 Rallye.

2012-09-10184748.jpg

Ahh jaysus i want a spin in that, best pre warn my chyropractor first though. I would love something like that for a track car, or a Saxo

That is if i ever get to corner yourself and Dar and ask about how to make my ST as nice as yours

2000 POUND for a windscreen, ah maybe not so !! but its still a beauty in my eyes

I think I found something...
    The well-known problem of ignition coils failing was fixed after all six were replaced but that's been about it for failures.

Source - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-reviews/renault/avantime/23015

Wrote by keiths fourth line down.

Not what I meant, I meant as people buying small 2004+ Polos for €3k+ these days and mines worth max of €1k, I have IMO a far nicer car for an awful lot less money. Just a point I made it wasn't meant to sound arrogant. Apologies :)

You'd struggle to find a 2002 1.0 Polo not to mind a 2004+ one :p

Chuck, how about this:

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/525i-SE-/30213468483431830/advert?channel=CARS

I'm just posting some ideas because I haven't a clue what you're after apart from a 740i :P

I like the line...... "Reliability. Its a Renault what do you expect"

I like the line...... "Reliability. Its a Renault what do you expect"

:D Lol!

I missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

saw an amazing merc (s class i think) driving through dublin earlier.

V12 on the side of it, looked massive, good good distance between the driver and the rear passengers.

had limo sticker in the windscreen similar to taxi.

beat of a car

07-G-something (only 4 digits long and had the numbers 1457 but in a different way)

think this is it - http://mywheels.ie/car-history-check/free-car-check-results/?VRN=07G1475

Chuck, how about this:

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/525i-SE-/30213468483431830/advert?channel=CARS

I'm just posting some ideas because I haven't a clue what you're after apart from a 740i :P

That's actually very nice

• Advertisement

Picked up a 106 Rallye.

That is absolutely savage man! I'd say she's some craic!

Cheers, Tis a fun little bus all right.
    So light and nimble, great craic :)

What're you doing on the 29th? :D

A yoke that lies somewhere between bangernomics and dreamer of the year thread...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3888811

ViewThumb-14193011.jpeg

Dents everywhere, 'tis had more hits than Elvis :pac:

What liter is it? 1.6?

Ahh jaysus i want a spin in that, best pre warn my chyropractor first though. I would love something like that for a track car, or a Saxo

That is if i ever get to corner yourself and Dar and ask about how to make my ST as nice as yours
    It's not actually that harsh, noisy though!
    Got a group n exhaust :)

As for the ST, you just go out and get yourself some deep pockets :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What liter is it? 1.6?

That ones 1.6, but they also did a 1.3

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What liter is it? 1.6?

Yep 1.6 16 valve.
    Same engine as the gti but lighter :D

It's not actually that harsh, noisy though!
    Got a group n exhaust :)

As for the ST, you just go out and get yourself some deep pockets :p

Mine were plenty deep until i realised how expensive running one is :p

No problems running it really but even putting 50 quid a week or so aside after running costs and other living expenses if proving a challenge :p

+Don't want to dip into the old emergency fund

• Advertisement

Ah right cool. How would the 1.6 rally differ to the 1.6 GTI? Is the rally just a different "edition"? to the GTI? Best of luck with it Milk. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Ah right cool. How would the 1.6 rally differ to the 1.6 GTI? Is the rally just a different "edition"? to the GTI? Best of luck with it Milk. :)

The rally is a lighter version, with a pretty bare interior etc

The rallye is a stripped out version of the gti.
    Not as many toys, therefore lighter.

The rally is a lighter version, with a pretty bare interior etc
    The rallye is a stripped out version of the gti.
    Not as many toys, therefore lighter.

Ah and that's where the "rallye" comes from. Cheers lads. :)

Im off tomorrow, what to do hmmz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Valid point. For some bizarre reason, thought the 740 was over €2,000 per year.

A 728i is pointless tax wise, as everything from 3001cc and up is the same (1680 EUR/year) if it's pre '07.

Engine wise, I'd definatly recommend the bigger engined 7's. Plenty of fun to be had there, too.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    A 728i is pointless tax wise, as everything from 3001cc and up is the same (1680 EUR/year) if it's pre '07.

Engine wise, I'd definatly recommend the bigger engined 7's. Plenty of fun to be had there, too.

/M

Pretty much this, i took this into consideration when i was getting into the "Nutcase tax bracket" and was looking into Vauxhall Monaro's and 740i's (couldn't find a clean one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Pretty much this, i took this into consideration when i was getting into the "Nutcase tax bracket" and was looking into Vauxhall Monaro's and 740i's (couldn't find a clean one)

I have 2 cars in the nutcase bracket. My 740i was bought for peanuts. (Scally Rally requirement: the car has to be bought for under 100 GBP)

539591_10150957836413682_778413669_n.jpg

It cost me about 2k in stuff to fix initially though. Never a dime since.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

840i or nothing tbh

Not even an 850i?

Sorry i meant 840i

Sweet car though :)

Loved the 840i and 850i (impossible to get) since i was a wee nipper

As for the Monaro well becoming cheap in the UK :p (impossible to get them over here though and the VRT is lulz)

Marcusm wrote: »
    Not even an 850i?

I have only seen 1-2 for sale in Ireland lately and both rough as a badgers behind

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement