Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grocery Shopping with your male half?

2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

taconnol wrote: »
    But we just started an organic fruit & veg box order that will be delivered every week to the door-woohoo! Then it will be down to the local shop just for packaged goods like dairy, etc.

where did you organise this from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Honey-ec wrote: »
    We do it together and it's grand, in and out in half an hour. As for the kissing and cuddling - why would you do that, just why???

I live in Tullow and we always laugh at the fact that the car park is full of middle-aged men sitting in the car waiting for their wives to do the shopping. "Arrah, I couldn't be in doing dat, dat's wimmins work..."

I always just wonder why they don't just stay at home and let the wife drive herself if they dislike it that much???
    But they're not talking to anyone, they're just sitting in their cars on their own!

I'm guessing it's to do with being from a rural town and of a certain age - none of the wives drive and the men won't be seen in the supermarket with them.

Let HER in door Drive thier CAR ? are you mad man ?
    Heavens for bid he be trapped at home while she is gallivanting off shopping
    spending his money on gods knows what.
    Least this way she only goes food shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Let HER in door Drive thier CAR ? are you mad man ?
    Heavens for bid he be trapped at home while she is gallivanting off shopping
    spending his money on gods knows what.
    Least this way she only goes food shopping.

I recall when I was working in the local supervalu (approx 10 years ago) some neighbours of ours would be in every week doing the shopping. He would wait while she went around with the trolley.

However, when I would tell the wife what the shopping came to, up he'd come from where he was hanging around the magazines and hand over the money. He wouldn't give her the money to do the shopping, but no way was he doing the shopping himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

nkay1985 wrote: »
    It seems from this thread that this is a regular occurence. I can't say I've ever noticed people being all couply in the supermarket. And I can't say I think of it as a romantic place, so why would people be like this? Shopping is purely functional for me.

Its really strange...because its only one particular shopping centre...the other ones are fine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I see couples shopping all the time holding hands and stuff.
    Myself and my OH are always hugging anyway no matter where we are so we don't change out habit just cause we're out in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

oh god i never go shopping with hubby,,,i wouldn't be able to buy the nice things,,lol,,plus he'd give out about the price of everything so i go alone,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I'm in the process for trying to teach the OH about special offers and stuff. He never checks the price of anything whereas I will check what on offer. He's also very picky so if I was to let him go on his own he'd by the most expensive version of everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I hate shopping with anyone, so grocery shopping with someone is a no no. Its not bonding time :eek: or a romantic stroll for kisses..its shopping.

In, shop, out. No big deal really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Morgase wrote: »
    I recall when I was working in the local supervalu (approx 10 years ago) some neighbours of ours would be in every week doing the shopping. He would wait while she went around with the trolley.

However, when I would tell the wife what the shopping came to, up he'd come from where he was hanging around the magazines and hand over the money. He wouldn't give her the money to do the shopping, but no way was he doing the shopping himself!

That is focking crazy! Were they given money to buy a few sweets for themselves too???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

That is focking crazy! Were they given money to buy a few sweets for themselves too???!!!

As I recall, the wife was actually a really economical shopper and not buying any silly stuff. It used to freak me out as a young wan to see a person in that situation.

OT: We both do the shopping at the weekend, I rarely do it on my own. He dislikes having to do the shopping but I'm his gf, not his mammy looking after him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

My ex hated shopping with a passion, one foot into a supermarket and he would turn into a cranky five year old! It drove me so mad I banned him from doing the shopping with me! Much easier to do it by myself and less arguing! My OH lives in England so I haven't gone shopping with him yet:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

Himself does all our shopping as I just cant abide it.

I really don't know why, it's just one of those things that get to me, I get all stressed out and hassled by it. On the odd occasion that he has asked me to stop on my home from work say, to get something we may have run out of, I have been known to phone him from the shop to ask him what brand/type/size of said thing we use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Eww, watching a couple eat the face of each other while I am trying to pick out my meat for the week would seriously put me off!!! GET A EFFIN ROOM!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I hate bringing the oh cause i never get what i want.He flies all around the shop hes like a big child,then tells me im taking to long as he walks up and down every aisle.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

marti101 wrote: »
    I hate bringing the oh cause i never get what i want.He flies all around the shop hes like a big child,then tells me im taking to long as he walks up and down every aisle.:pac:
    Walking up and down every aisle is by far the most efficient way unless you know exactly what you want and exactly where it is.

Looking at the signs above the aisles doesn't tell you exactly what's in them. It takes twice as long if you constantly have to wander around trying to find the last three things on your list. If you go up and down all the aisles, you'll spot everything :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I always go shopping on my own, when we first moved in together we went shopping together a couple of times, but he drove me mad. He works in retail so every time he sees something wrong he feels the need to point it out to me *I don't care*. I've tried getting him to come with me more recently, but he refuses to. I mainly do my shopping in Aldi and Dunnes, but he has a thing against Aldi and Lidl so I'm sure that's why he wont come. I'm always trying to tell him he might actually be impressed, but he's too much of a snob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

seamus wrote: »
    Walking up and down every aisle is by far the most efficient way unless you know exactly what you want and exactly where it is.

Looking at the signs above the aisles doesn't tell you exactly what's in them. It takes twice as long if you constantly have to wander around trying to find the last three things on your list. If you go up and down all the aisles, you'll spot everything :)

Yes, if you don't walk up and down every aisle, you always forget something. And then it's "I'll run back and get it", while you wait at the till, having scanned through and bagged everything else in your trolley, with the person in the queue behind you throwing you dagger-eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

I always go shopping with my OH. We are openly affectionate while in the supermarket. He buys biscuits and cakes and weird stuff like pumpernickle that we have to throw out. I usually try and distract him from buying bold things.

He can't pass a new product!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can't believe how long she takes to go through the shop. I also have to watch the trolley like a hawk unless she removes all of my junk food and impulsive crap when she thinks I'm not looking. I usually just hide it under the bigger products in the trolley. Still, I like going shopping with her. Find it relaxing in a weird way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Food shopping with my ex was a total disaster. we always ended up buying too much food & definitely always too much junk. one would persuade the other to buy something. wed go in for sausages & bread & come out with sausages, bread, rashers, orange juice, muffins, biscuits, icecream, coke.. same with takeaways - wed wanna get a pizza but wed end up with pizza, chicken chunks, chips, icecream.. no wonder im on a diet now! :mad:

as for all the kissing - i dont get it :confused: if the mood took me to give him a kiss, sure, wed have a little peck, but i dont find the fruit & veg section terribly romantic. if i want to have a kiss id prefer to do it in private so i dont have to worry about getting too carried away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

stovelid wrote: »
    I can't believe how long she takes to go through the shop. I also have to watch the trolley like a hawk unless she removes all of my junk food and impulsive crap when she thinks I'm not looking. I usually just hide it under the bigger products in the trolley. Still, I like going shopping with her. Find it relaxing in a weird way.

Ha ha when iam passing the frozen food section i usually throw out the stupid stuff himself gets. Its only a few days later he says "i could have sworn i'd got (certain stupid item) while shopping" One day he convinced himself someone stole a bag belong to us. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My boyfriend always remembers things like stock cubes that wouldn't occur to me (can you tell that he's a better cook? :D) He is also better at buying meat than I am, can tell what's better quality and if the price is reasonable. I am always tempted to buy chocolate biscuits when I don't need them. So, we are kinda the reverse of the OP's situation!

Online shopping together from tesco's FTW!
    we both have a browse through the cupboards and its done in 5 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ha. The last time I did an online shop was a supermarket in the UK when I lived in England. Delivery truck arrived, unloaded, I was putting away my shopping when there was a knock at my door.

The supermarket delivery guy had reversed his lorry along the length of my neighbour's car, and then drove off without leaving a note or anything else. Prick.

Advertisement