Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Bryan Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think if he wants to wrestle again he'll find a way. A good lawyer could get him away from WWE if he wanted desperately enough. If it was me I'd be stowing away the cash though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Two things on that

1) McDevitt rarely loses.
    2) By the time it actually got to court, you're looking at 18 months or two years and well into 6 figures in legal fees. Eddie Alvarez took Bellator to court to get out of his deal and gave up after a year, for example.His deal is up in the summer 2018. Strikes me as a remarkably stupid move to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting WWE in court in the hopes you might get released six months early.
    3) As Meltzer has stated, he has not got a leg to stand on. So long as they are sending him his cheque, they can just sit him home for 2.5 years. Simple as that. It's their contractual right. He's an independent contractor and they can choose to book him or not book him.

There again, if he does take them to court, at least we know definitively that he is brain damaged.

Double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Monokne wrote: »
    Two things on that

1) McDevitt rarely loses.
    2) By the time it actually got to court, you're looking at 18 months or two years and well into 6 figures in legal fees. Eddie Alvarez took Bellator to court to get out of his deal and gave up after a year, for example.His deal is up in the summer 2018. Strikes me as a remarkably stupid move to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting WWE in court in the hopes you might get released six months early.
    3) As Meltzer has stated, he has not got a leg to stand on. So long as they are sending him his cheque, they can just sit him home for 2.5 years. Simple as that. It's their contractual right. He's an independent contractor and they can choose to book him or not book him.

There again, if he does take them to court, at least we know definitively that he is brain damaged.

American employment law is truly disgusting and you are right, what my nightmare scenario is, is that they automatically renew his contract like they did with Rey, the legality of which I still don't fully understand.

Hope Punk doing what he did will actually have led to some change in how talent can escape but knowing our luck, it'll probably just make the contracts a lot more water-tight.

End of the day, I want to see Bryan Danielson wrestling again.

Personally, I'd rather he protect his brain. I would absolutely love to see him work again as a fan of his, honestly I think he's the second or third best guy on the planet. But having been a huge fan of Benoit and Foley and seeing how their brain & body respectively were destroyed by working when there were signs they should no longer have been, I can't be that naive/selfish again, I can't just bury my head in the sand. Would be happier to see him settle down & have a family and grow old with his wife.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see him remain healthy as well, I'm just throwing out what different scenarios could be. Really I don't think any of us could claim we were short changed by the guy with the body of work he's left behind him should he never wrestle another match in his life. Mick Foley and Chris Benoit gave their bodies for the business but nothing is ever worth that.

What I find sad, is that the wrestling style I love really doesn't suit the gruelling WWE schedule.

It's why I love indies and New Japan, they don't have to work 5 days a week and have time to recover, hence can put on such good matches so easily.

I don't agree there. WWE house show matches are not particularly hard on the body, especially if you're not in the main events. Guys are encouraged to take it easy and do the same basic match every night. What the top guys go through over the three weeks of the G1 in New Japan is absolutely brutal, and even the average NJPW tour will be more taxing on the body than three weeks in WWE. And I mean in Bryans case, he did most of the damage to his brain on the indies and in ROH. His matches with Nigel McGuinness were brutal and ended up costing Nigel his career. Remember those spots where they'd just headbutt each other, full on? ****ing stupidity.

There's a good argument that the fact WWE guys have to go 4 days a week most weeks means they are less inclined to go all in. Plus WWE protects guys from themselves. They don't allow the guys do dangerous piledrivers or pretty much any more that involves significant axial load, and they try and limit anything that's going to put guys at significant risk of concussion.

I will caveat though that travelling so much lessens the chance for recovery if you are hurt.

I don't agree there. WWE house show matches are not particularly hard on the body, especially if you're not in the main events. Guys are encouraged to take it easy and do the same basic match every night. What the top guys go through over the three weeks of the G1 in New Japan is absolutely brutal, and even the average NJPW tour will be more taxing on the body than three weeks in WWE. And I mean in Bryans case, he did most of the damage to his brain on the indies and in ROH. His matches with Nigel McGuinness were brutal and ended up costing Nigel his career. Remember those spots where they'd just headbutt each other, full on? ****ing stupidity.

There's a good argument that the fact WWE guys have to go 4 days a week most weeks means they are less inclined to go all in. Plus WWE protects guys from themselves. They don't allow the guys do dangerous piledrivers or pretty much any more that involves significant axial load, and they try and limit anything that's going to put guys at significant risk of concussion.

I will caveat though that travelling so much lessens the chance for recovery if you are hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,473 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I read he was cleared by doctors in UCLA recently. That means nothing though as he could be cleared by the pope himself but if he isn't cleared by the head wwe doctor he's not going to be in a wwe ring until he does.

• Advertisement

They might as well start using him at the Royal Rumble every year to taunt the audience. It would be some laugh if he came out to endorse Roman Reigns á la Dwayne Johnson last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

They might as well start using him at the Royal Rumble every year to taunt the audience. It would be some laugh if he came out to endorse Roman Reigns á la Dwayne Johnson last year.

The fans would probably burn the place down if Reigns beasted his way through everyone to win the Rumble and had Bryan come out to endorse him haha

That's what I'm saying, WWE should just make a point of aggravating people every January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

He talked about in his book how much he hated teaching wrestling to people, he didn't think he was very good at it and seemed to get bored by it easily.

True, he said on Total Divas last week that he does not like his judge role on Tough Enough.

Stunned Bryan wasn't in the Rumble fam.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Monokne wrote: »
    Stunned Bryan wasn't in the Rumble fam.

Why? WWE won't clear him medically, and even if they did they don't want him anywhere Reigns. Reigns is Vince's idea of a superstar not Bryan, he gave Bryan his shot but that was then and the harsh reality is we're most likely never going to see Bryan compete in a WWE ring again.

Sarcasm, my dearest Lough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I dunno if this is recent or old. If its recent its good to see him looking well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBeKOyuMJ4h/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,234 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is on Raw tonight, some speculating it is to announce retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He is on Raw tonight, some speculating it is to announce retirement

He just tweeted that he is on Raw tonight to announce his retirement.

• Advertisement

He tweeted he's retiring just now.

"Due to medical reasons, effective immediately, I am announcing my retirement. Tonight on Raw, I'll have a chance to elaborate. #gratitude"

Fuuuuuu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

He better go Mark Henry on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Definitely a work.

*Puts fingers in ears, lalalalalalalala*

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Huge DB fan but noting worth putting your life on the line. If it's real all the best to him and we have plenty of great matches and moments to remember him by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He's doing the right thing here. He's done virtually everything in wrestling. I'd hate to see him end up as our generation's Dynamite Kid. If this was a swerve I dunno would I be able to watch anything he does in-ring without that constant chance of a serious injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,903 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I can't imagine it isn't real. I think the Twitter announcement is to help try kill the is it real/is it not vibe that might have gone on if he had just announced it during the show out of nowhere.

This way the news probably reaches the majority of people that wouldn't look up forums, follow the likes of Meltzer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I believe it's real but I wouldn't be shocked to see HHH come out and pedigree him after he says his goodbyes. I hope that doesn't happen but the timing of the announcement leads me to think it's possible as a way to garner easy heat.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I believe it's real but I wouldn't be shocked to see HHH come out and pedigree him after he says his goodbyes. I hope that doesn't happen but the timing of the announcement leads me to think it's possible as a way to garner easy heat.

Yea can see Steph coming out and berating him telling him to get out of her ring blah blah blah , you were not good enough to make it in the wwe. Just the weekly Steph promo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah the timing is very weird alright, but maybe it's the perfect time if you look at it another way. This time of year makes us think every week, is he gonna make a surprise return and set up a big match at Mania? That puts that to bed at least, and gives closure to the fans.

I can't help but thinking this won't help Roman's crowd reaction at all though, because we all know he's the guy now, and he won't be overshadowed by anyone with this news.

Very sad day for me. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah the timing is very weird alright, but maybe it's the perfect time if you look at it another way. This time of year makes us think every week, is he gonna make a surprise return and set up a big match at Mania? That puts that to bed at least, and gives closure to the fans.

I can't help but thinking this won't help Roman's crowd reaction at all though, because we all know he's the guy now, and he won't be overshadowed by anyone with this news.

Very sad day for me and all the pro wrestling fans of the world :(

Advertisement