Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options around Ashtown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

jinhee100 wrote: »
    It's 39euro a month and installation cost 50euro.

I live in rcp so i feel your pain but 40 quid for 1MB in DUBLIN CITY is a bloody scandal if you ask me. I use utv and pay 65 (including line rental) for 10mb (though i dont get 10mb usually its still pretty good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jinhee100

adm wrote: »
    I live in rcp so i feel your pain but 40 quid for 1MB in DUBLIN CITY is a bloody scandal if you ask me. I use utv and pay 65 (including line rental) for 10mb (though i dont get 10mb usually its still pretty good)

Yeah. It's bloody scandal especially for me from Korea. People using 100mb line in there since several years ago. It would be just 30euro a month. And I never got bothered having 100mb service there actually coz my old VDSL was enough for me. It was 20mb. But I think the actual speed was around 10mb.

And about cablewatch.
    <snip> the installation guy told me they increased speed to 3mb.
    So officially it's 3mb.
    Anyway speed is ok to me as long as it is steady.

Just having lots of problem from funny company.
    They just called me and told me that I still need to pay <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jumpgun

Here a test from to day around 19.55
    1705358126.png
    I have not had much hassle with Digiweb.Just wish the download limit was higher so I could watch tv on it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

jumpgun wrote: »
    Here a test from to day around 19.55
    1705358126.png
    I have not had much hassle with Digiweb.Just wish the download limit was higher so I could watch tv on it.

http://www.buyincoins.com/details/digital-tv-hdtv-dvb-t-usb-stick-dongle-tuner-recorder-receiver-product-70.html

Pretty sure theres no Broadband required. Ive ordered 2, I can let you know how they fair out once I get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

jinhee100 wrote: »
    Yeah. It's bloody scandal especially for me from Korea. People using 100mb line in there since several years ago. It would be just 30euro a month. And I never got bothered having 100mb service there actually coz my old VDSL was enough for me. It was 20mb. But I think the actual speed was around 10mb.

And about cablewatch.
    Tony the installation guy told me they increased speed to 3mb.
    So officially it's 3mb.
    Anyway speed is ok to me as long as it is steady.

Just having lots of problem from funny company.
    They just called me and told me that I still need to pay cancellation fee.

<snip> i left them a few years ago to go to eircom, they rang me back saying they were increasing speed of broadband to 20mb, never happened, anyway went back to them after dispute with eircom over line rental and my cointract, emailed cable watch recently and said they were increasing speed to 25mb in early march, i responded saying they said that 2 years ago, they never responded, there also apparently rolling out <snip>

on plus side your right, there service is next day, unlimited download that really is unlimited because it takes so long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Hello,

I'm looking for a place in the area, Ashtown-Rathborne.
    UPC still no go right ?
    Seems that Eircom or Vodafone are the only options for BB. Correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tutse

UPC is still a no go!
    But I've made a call to sky and am going to get a dish installed if possible - let the management company come and try and get it down, I'll fight them. Watching a telly that doesn't even give a tv guide in this day and age is ridiculous.
    :mad:

Anyone living in Pelletstown Manor would like to share their experience with Broadband ?

I got a friend of mine who lives further in RCP and complains about Vodafone (too slow), Eircom according with their website doesn't provide 24mb to Pelletstown Manor.

Then there's Digiweb Metro, but their cap of 100Gb doesn't give my much confidence as I like to use and abuse my netflix account.

Finally I need a good upload speed not only for xbox but also for professional reasons, which means that upload of 1mb upload, is nothing but a joke.

Summary:
    -Eircom - slow speeds, and very expensive
    -Vodafone - very slow and average expensive
    -digiweb - slow/average speeds, low traffic allowance
    -any 3G provider - Vodafone, O2,3, Meteor - good up/down speeds, very low traffic allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 4 t-photo

Hi All

Moved to rathborne close recently. The broadband situation is absolutely crazy :confused: Everyone seems to be settling for 3 to 7mb download speeds! Thats nuts in this day and age.
    Ive been using 3G since i moved in and its ridiculous. Moved from south city and really missing 25mb UPC. Got a letter the week we moved saying they were upgrading it to 30mb in the area. Heartbreaking. Love the Ashtown area though, much prefer it to the city.

My family home in a rural part of county sligo have better broadband

Everyone should write to the local TD asking to allow more companies like UPC into the area. People should not have to pay the same price for completely inferior services just for the sake of competition law.
    Most things we use now like video calls, streaming movies, online gaming are all impossible without proper high speed broadband. Most of the broadband companies in this area are charging full price for services that are not fit for their purpose.

Sorry if thats a bit of a rant, its a frustrating subject.

Is anyone using Smart Telecom? Whats the feedback?

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Rumours from Sky are that they're bringing in Sky broadband. Doubtful though imo.

Hopefully Eircom can get their next generation BB in at some stage.

• Advertisement

I too have to suffer of getting used to UPC broadband and now... well you know.

Recently I got TV (UPC) installed and I was chatting with the guys, and seems that until 2016 it's not possible to have UPC.

I also drop a tear when he showed me some antennas in a close by building, and told me that all these surrounding buildings could have 20mb broadband from UPC through wireless, if the agency that regulates the communications in Ireland allow UPC to do that.

Seems that the only option to have UPC in Ashtown, is talk with the houses on the other side of the Canal, and split the bills and put there a emissor so you would have broadband in your place. (Actually I'm really thinking in doing that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

My broadband in Ashtown (vodafone 7mb) is atrocious at the moment. Constant disconnects and 1000ms pings to boards. Unbelievable the quality of Tv and net around here really.

Well I do share your opinion about how bad is the broadband service in Ashtown, but about TV, I found UPC very good (as usual).

About broadband I've been using O2, good coverage and speed, but I'm waiting for the guy from Metro (Digiweb) to call down, so he can verify if I can get it or not.

Is Wimax an option in Ashtown ?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

the whole situation is ridiculous! it's like we don't exist out here, I know people living in the backarse of nowhere who have better broadband options than people living here!
    wimax is an option as far as I know, probably depending on what way your apartment is facing etc etc.
    has anyone any new revelations regarding other suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

the whole situation is ridiculous! it's like we don't exist out here, I know people living in the backarse of nowhere who have better broadband options than people living here!
    wimax is an option as far as I know, probably depending on what way your apartment is facing etc etc.
    has anyone any new revelations regarding other suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I live in the village, never had a problem with Digiweb in the two years or so I've been with them. Taken at 18:30 on a Monday:

2216672224.png

I live in Pelletstown and also have Digiweb (Metro).
    right now: 2217071712.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alexandropolis

Hi JoeyD,
    Where exactly in The village are you?
    I live in The Parkview apartments, Rathborne.
    I arranged everything with digiweb for my connection and after 4 days I called them to ask them how long it is going to take.
    They said that they do not have coverage there.....

On the phone they said that the area is ok and even took my personal and bank details.
    After that they didn't even call me....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sweenekm

Hi JoeyD,
    Where exactly in The village are you?
    I live in The Parkview apartments, Rathborne.
    I arranged everything with digiweb for my connection and after 4 days I called them to ask them how long it is going to take.
    They said that they do not have coverage there.....

On the phone they said that the area is ok and even took my personal and bank details.
    After that they didn't even call me....

Hi

Myself an my partner are
    Looking
    At apartments up there. The agent Said we would have to get cable watch. What is going on? How are you getting on now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sweenekm

tutse wrote: »
    UPC is still a no go!
    But I've made a call to sky and am going to get a dish installed if possible - let the management company come and try and get it down, I'll fight them. Watching a telly that doesn't even give a tv guide in this day and age is ridiculous.
    :mad:

Myself and my partner want to move into apartment up there. How u get on with a dish?

• Advertisement

I heard some rumors about the apartments around Superquinn getting UPC. Can anyone confirm that?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fcerullo

I heard some rumors about the apartments around Superquinn getting UPC. Can anyone confirm that?

hi there,

i called upc last week and they told me there are no news regarding their services.

where have you heard the rumors? :-)

Fabio

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dnrainey

Don't know about UPC, but over the weekend I saw a number of cable installations being carried out around the Ashtown area, so here's hoping for some competition

fingers crossed... the whole situation around Ashtown is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AJC30

Anyone has tried the SKY package for Broadband/phone/TV. Seems to be a better combination than Eircom/cablewatch. Although broadband speed will be same as eircom i.e 11mb, the TV package is way better with sky, but I am not sure if we are allowed to have an antenna in the balcony ?

i would prefer upc broadband!

I've recently noticed individual dishes installed on balconies all over the area now...so I guess there shouldnt be any problem.

I'm wondering if there is a community dish somewhere on top of the appartment blocks... anyone knows?

Fabio

• Registered Users Posts: 14 prunch

Anyone have good results with sky broadband ???

• Registered Users Posts: 14 prunch

Or good results with magnet??

prunch wrote: »
    Or good results with magnet??

There's Magnet in Ashtown? I'm surprised, but then I went and check on their website, and Pelletstown Manor, doesn't have coverage :(

• Advertisement

I've sky for the past two weeks, so far the speeds are good... well, it's not fibre, but due to our location I shouldn't really complain.
    ping between 44-46ms, 15mb/0.64m (d/u). These values are an average of a series of measures I've been taking during different parts of the day and week.

Here's one at the moment: 2898877372.png

Advertisement