Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options around Ashtown?

Options
  • 11-03-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi folks,

just wondering the different services offered around Ashtown area. I've moved recently to The Village Centre (just besides Ashtown Train Station) and NTL told me they don't offer broadband service in the area.

Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks!

FC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

fcerullo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

just wondering the different services offered around Ashtown area. I've moved recently to The Village Centre (just besides Ashtown Train Station) and NTL told me they don't offer broadband service in the area.

Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks!

FC
    I know a few people living there, the managment company awarded the comms contract to some mickey mouse company who as far as I know don't even offer digital tv, some up there have gone to one of the wireless BB companies to get their BB or if you have a landline try perlico

IMO the folk living in apartments or estates where the contract was not given to ntl to provide TV & BB are getting the rough end of the pineapple, & to be quite honest I smell brown paper bags ,...form a lobby group & hassle your local TD, ntl would only be too happy to supply their services

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fcerullo

thanks lensman! actually NTL is happy enough to provide digital TV but not broadband... this is really strange as the "data" runs through the same cable so i don't understand why they cannot provide broadband.

will check perlico as i have land line but forming a lobby doesn't sound a bad idea.

thanks again!

FC

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kj72

anyone know what is the latest state of play in relation to tv and BB in ashtown - anyone know what options are available as of jan 09 - any help greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Sorry to drag up an old thread.
    Just moved in to the village center and looking at getting some broadband and tv.
    I've heard that a 3rd party crowd called cablewatch <snip> provide these services in the block but i'd much prefer to go with other providers as cablewatch look pretty crap tbh.

Does anyone know what my options are?

Currently waiting to hear back from UPC but its not lookin good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wheelie_bin

Hi slayerking

I live in the Rathborne development in Ashtown (near the gym). I paid cablewatch for the first six months for TV, then cancelled because our block got a group deal with Sky. Thing is, I still get a cable service from cablewatch even though I cancelled on them 18 months ago . . .

As for broadband, the phone line seems to be the only option. Ashtown appears to have been overlooked in the roll-out of higher speed broadband too.

For now, I get a three meg line from eircom. I haven't contacted UPC any time lately to find out if they ever intend offering us cable bb, but it would be no harm to check with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'm in Ashtown too. Earlswood end. Been here since the start. BB and TV has always been a dodgy subject that comes up for discussion at the management meetings every year and nothing ever gets done about it. If you're in the Village, you have Cablewatch (rubbish) and that's your only option.

In Earlswood you have Smart Triple Play, which altho has improved over the years is 75 a month and still not very good.

I got rid of it. Best option is to tell management to go and stuff their 'no satellite dishes clause', get Sky and use a midband option such as 3.

The most idiotic thing about it all that when my house was designed it was wired for networked NTL throughout and NTL or even Eircom (not that I'd want them) were ever allowed in. The estate was sold in the brochures as 'broadband ready'.

No one has ever been brought to court for putting up satellite dishes and some of the blocks have now got Sky to provide communal dishes.

We're still waiting for the management company(s) to allow in a decent BB service.

Cheers for the info lads. Yea, think I'm gona stay away from Cablewatch just out of principle. Currently have their tv service but that's only payed up until September 9th. I definitely wound not use their broadband service. 2mb for 39.99 and guaranteed to suffer from a seriously bad contention ratio.

I contacted UPC about getting in their tv + broadband however they said that they cannot install it in my place. I told them that the apartment has all the NTL boxes on the walls, and they said more than likely someone has bid for the rights to providing tv services there, i.e cablewatch.

Contacted Imagine Wimax about getting their broadband and they said that because I was in an apartment block and I would need to install an outside receiver, they are not allowed to do that there as the council would not let them. So, all in all, complete annoyance trying to get in a decent service.:mad:

Might start looking at getting in some form of DSL and if that fails I'll have to go for midband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Hi slayerking

I live in the Rathborne development in Ashtown (near the gym). I paid cablewatch for the first six months for TV, then cancelled because our block got a group deal with Sky. Thing is, I still get a cable service from cablewatch even though I cancelled on them 18 months ago . . .

As for broadband, the phone line seems to be the only option. Ashtown appears to have been overlooked in the roll-out of higher speed broadband too.

For now, I get a three meg line from eircom. I haven't contacted UPC any time lately to find out if they ever intend offering us cable bb, but it would be no harm to check with them.
    How did Sky cable the building? I take it's apartments.

FYI for anyone else lookin for broadband in Ashtown apartments and determined not to go with that <snip> crowd Cablewatch (even if only our of principle).

I ended up getting in Digiweb Wireless Metro:
    8 meg down
    1 meg up
    60gb download limit
    Free installation and it costs 39.95 per month.
    They install a relatively small receiver outside and a cable modem inside, no wireless router. They informed me that the management company of the block may ask me to take it down, but I said I'd risk it. Were on the 4th floor and the receiver is pretty discrete.

Very happy with it, consistent speeds so far. Defo recommended for anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

I tried to get Digiweb Wireless Metro with the reciever put on my balcony in my Rathborne Apt but the guy said since I was on the lower floor I wouldn't have line of sight to the transmiter.

Then he told me, no joke "theres one guy who has it, thats lucky, hes on the 4th floor" :D

I'm annoyed at this stage with the lack of options. Had Smart in my last Rathborne Apt and it was fantastic....thats just around the corner :mad:

I refuse to go with a doggle for internet!!

Has anyone in Rathborne gone with Perlico??

• Advertisement

gorgo wrote: »
    I tried to get Digiweb Wireless Metro with the reciever put on my balcony in my Rathborne Apt but the guy said since I was on the lower floor I wouldn't have line of sight to the transmiter.

Then he told me, no joke "theres one guy who has it, thats lucky, hes on the 4th floor" :D

If that was just recently, sounds like he was talkin bout me!!!!
    I just got it in last friday!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You could share a top floor metro with a lower down apartment if there were internal network wiring and a patch panel _somewhere_ in an apartment block.

hi there,

Almost a year ago I've placed a request to Sky for a shared dish in The Village, Ashtown. This week I've called them asking for the current status and they told me that we have reached the minimum amount of interested parties to install the dish in the appartment block but they are still awaiting for a management response/approval.

They suggested me to contact the management company to accelerate things... I would kindly like to ask you to give them a call as well so we are taken seriously about this matter.

Honestly being a resident here for 3 years now and no decent TV options available is starting to getting me annoyed.

Thanks,

Fabio

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Ok hang on a sec you're talking about TV in a broadband thread. But i'm interested in both anyway.

Which apartment block are you talking about? I'm moving into the Tallow which is pretty much in the village. <snip>. Surely UPC is an option at this stage? (hopes!!)

hi there,

I'm afraid there is no alternative to Cablewatch yet.

Management Company aren't doing anything other than saying they are reviewing sky proposal (for the last two years).

If someone has an idea on how we could fix this for all "The Village" residents so we could have a decent TV service provider please speak up.

Thanks,

Fabio

btw: I live in one of the apartments at The Chandler.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DUB142

fcerullo wrote: »
    hi there,

I'm afraid there is no alternative to Cablewatch yet.

Management Company aren't doing anything other than saying they are reviewing sky proposal (for the last two years).

If someone has an idea on how we could fix this for all "The Village" residents so we could have a decent TV service provider please speak up.

Thanks,

Fabio

btw: I live in one of the apartments at The Chandler.

Hi Fabio,

Just incase you havent heared wimax is now in the area from the first of may if you are looking for a batter broband and phone provider, but still no other options for a diffrent tv provider im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Hi,

What's the current max speed out of a land line in Ashtown? Is it still 3 meg?

And I've read about issues with Wimax, would anyone still recommend it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

What type of wimax is this if its imagine wimax the more people that sign up to this service the slower and inconsistant it will get.you would be better off paying for a landline even if the max speed is only 3Mb

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DUB142

Well all the eircom lines in astown can take up 20mb but you'l never get that speed. I have the 7mb advanced pack from eircom the max speed I get is 6.5mb and the lowest i got from it was 1.2mb but that hasent happend in ages now its around 3.5mb at peek times. I asked about NGB and eircom said they have ashtown on a list to be done next mouth but I always take what eircom tell me with a pinch of salt.

The Wimax that is coming on the first of may is going to 4g so the means no line rental to eircom.

But Im not sure if I whant to change to wimax now because like a few of you I heard a cupple of bad things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jozee

Hi Folks,

anyone got Digiweb Metro Broadband since? Does it work on lower floors or only on the 4th floor? I will need something soon, but would like to avoid Cablewatch or paying DSL line rental.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 jumpgun

I see UPC have put planning permission for some kind box down near the bus terminus, so hope they will be in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tutse

I live in The Waxworks and the tv situation is driving me crazy. Can anyone who has had a Sky dish installed tell me the procedure - does your apt have to be facing a certain way etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

tutse wrote: »
    I live in The Waxworks and the tv situation is driving me crazy. Can anyone who has had a Sky dish installed tell me the procedure - does your apt have to be facing a certain way etc??

Dish has to face southeast-(28 Degrees east) If you have a clear line of sight it doesn't even need to be up high.
    All you need then is decent broadband to compliment it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

tutse wrote: »
    Here's a pic which shows you exactly the direction your dish should be pointing based on your location, try it yourself at www.dishpointer.com

10570g6.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Right. Some handy info from all ye guys. Im living in pelletstown manor in ashtown.

Ive rang up Imagion WiMax and they said I was too far from their transmitters to get BB and that a different BB company had a contract to supply BB to the area, so they couldnt mount a transmitter on the Royal Canal Bank appts. He said they were hoping to have one installed by September.

Rang up Digiweb. First time i was told I can get DSL broadband, but it would be ~€30 + Eircoms line rental. So about 50-55 euro. Ouchies, too much.

Rang them up again to ask about their wireless metro broadband. Was again told im too far from their transmitters to receive broadband. I asked where their transmitters were, and they said Finglas. Considering im on the 4th floor and my apartment faces North, I may be able to get it. They agreed to send out a guy to test whether we can receive Digiweb Wireless Metro BB. I should know within the next 10 working days. Total cost is ~€40 for 8mb with 60gb cap. I can live with that. I had to set up a contract with them for 12 months to get the guy to come out and test whether I can receive broadband off them, but if I cant, they'll cancel the contract etc.

Ill keep ye posted.

I live in park view 4th floor north facing and have digi web, so you should be ok.

jumpgun wrote: »
    I live in park view 4th floor north facing and have digi web, so you should be ok.

What sort of speeds and ping are you getting in the evening/night time?

If you could go onto www.speedtest.net, run a test there and post your results thatd be cool! Cheers!

Here you go its usually better.

1699262477.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jinhee100

And I regret that I didn't go with cablewatch from the start.
    It's slow but so far it's stable enough.
    I think the download speed is about 1M.
    But better than not having one.
    It's 39euro a month and installation cost 50euro.

At first I tried to get another service and I had to live on 3G for a month.
    And it resulted lots of trouble.

See this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056512488

But with cablewatch, I got the line the next day after I ordered.
    Don't know if I'm just lucky enough to use this slow line right away.
    But it solved my internet problem.
    Still could be an option if you don't wanna go thru too much hassle like I did.

• Advertisement

If Digiweb can do anything near what Jumpgun is reporting they're doing for him, id be happy. 40 quid a month, free installation, and reports of good speeds..... Ill believe it when I see it.

Hopefully I see it :D

Advertisement