Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Zelda247 wrote: »
    How long will you cook it for? I find chicken cooked on slow for 8hours loses its favour and goes stringy.

I make Thai Red Curry in mine all the time without issue, chicken really soft and not stringy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

toadfly wrote: »
    I make Thai Red Curry in mine all the time without issue, chicken really soft and not stringy.
    I use the slow cooker a lot, but I've been put off making curries and spicy dishes, because I read somewhere that that the long cooking process means you lose a lot of the flavour of the spices. Is this a myth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

Are meat, veg and potato the only things that turn out well in a slow cooker? Do other starches like rice or noodles work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

katydid wrote: »
    I use the slow cooker a lot, but I've been put off making curries and spicy dishes, because I read somewhere that that the long cooking process means you lose a lot of the flavour of the spices. Is this a myth?

It definitely doesn't lose the flavour, not in my experience anyway. I much prefer it done in the slow cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

cadesin wrote: »
    Are meat, veg and potato the only things that turn out well in a slow cooker? Do other starches like rice or noodles work?

Not quite what you mean but the nicest rich pudding you can make is in a slow cooker.

One cup pudding rice
    Two liters milk
    One large spoon of sugar, or more if you wish.

Place all in slow cooker, cook on high for four to five hours stirring every hour or so.

It's the only slow cooker recipe I have come across that requires you to stir regularly during cooking.

• Advertisement

Nice, thanks! I will definitely try, it sounds yummy comfort food!

I am wondering if noodles or pasta are too fragile to be used in slow cooker recipes. I'd like to try a Beef Stroganoff but worry the noodles would turn to mush quickly.

cadesin wrote: »
    Nice, thanks! I will definitely try, it sounds yummy comfort food!

I am wondering if noodles or pasta are too fragile to be used in slow cooker recipes. I'd like to try a Beef Stroganoff but worry the noodles would turn to mush quickly.

I can't seem to edit my post. Lasagna sounds like it might be feasible in the slow cooker, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I only have the problem of chicken losing is flavour and texture when cooked for 8hours, the meat and veg and spices dishes are all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

6541 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a simple but good recipe for curry ? Now I mean simple ! Thanks :)

2 jars of Green Saffron curry sauce (Dunnes) and a 1/2 leg of lamb.

Bung in slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low. Shred lamb, stir, serve,

Can't get simpler and it is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Kat1170 wrote: »
    You won't get much simpler than the jars of sauce with the spices in separate compartment on top in Aldi.

Stir Fry/Fry meat and veg, add spices then add sauce. Done.

THESE

Is the Aldi stuff as good as Uncle Bens or home made sauces though, do you reckon?

• Advertisement

Is the Aldi stuff as good as Uncle Bens or home made sauces though, do you reckon?

As good as Uncle Bens????????

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

As good as Uncle Bens????????

Well maybe I should have said as bad as....

Basically though if I was choosing a shop sauce, I'm not sure Aldi would be top of my list. I'd normally go with a named brand, such as Uncle Bens or Llyod Grossman or any of them. Maybe I'm wrong re Aldi/Lidl/Tesco etc.

Well maybe I should have said as bad as....

Basically though if I was choosing a shop sauce, I'm not sure Aldi would be top of my list. I'd normally go with a named brand, such as Uncle Bens or Llyod Grossman or any of them. Maybe I'm wrong re Aldi/Lidl/Tesco etc.

You'll find that a lot of the own brand stuff is made by reputable suppliers. Look for the number on the label that shows the origin, and it will lead you to the supplier. I've googled several of them out of curiosity - it turns out, for example, that Lidl's Ardagh cheese is made by a company in West Cork.

You'll find the number on the back of the tin/packet and it usually as a few digits, a country code and more digits.

I've used the Aldi sauce, and in my view it's way better than Uncle Bens or Lloyd Grossman, although I'd pick Grossman over Uncle Bens any day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Did a whole chicken yesterday. Was absolutely fab. Literally fell apart coming out & had it deboned in minutes. Seemed to get a whole lot more out of the chicken than oven roast as the meat was a lot more moist.

However, I don't think it added much to it & was more trouble than it was worth prepping it earlier in the day. Probably won't do again.

OU812 wrote: »
    Did a whole chicken yesterday. Was absolutely fab. Literally fell apart coming out & had it deboned in minutes. Seemed to get a whole lot more out of the chicken than oven roast as the meat was a lot more moist.

However, I don't think it added much to it & was more trouble than it was worth prepping it earlier in the day. Probably won't do again.

What did you prep? I just whack the chicken in, no water or anything, and leave it all day.

What did you prep? I just whack the chicken in, no water or anything, and leave it all day.

Did this

Caramelised Onions were delish though...

Did this

Caramelised Onions were delish though...

ooh, sounds lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Has anyone tried cooking a pickled tongue in the slow cooker? Come to that, any intrepid home-picklers with advice on same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You'll find that a lot of the own brand stuff is made by reputable suppliers. Look for the number on the label that shows the origin, and it will lead you to the supplier. I've googled several of them out of curiosity - it turns out, for example, that Lidl's Ardagh cheese is made by a company in West Cork.

I'd say they would be pretty emphatic that all their suppliers are reputable :D:D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I made this Chickpea Curry on Wednesday night and it was unbelievable! There's only 3 in my family (me, hubby and 4 year old son) so we ended up getting dinner for 3 nights out of it, so not only was it delicious, it worked out super economical. Only change I'd make is I'd swap out a regular potato for a sweet potato, but that's mainly cos I'm not keen on potato anyway. I used mini peppers from Lidl instead of green bell pepper, and a regular old chilli instead of a serrano chilli (because I don't know what that is haha), I also substituted chilli flakes instead of ground red pepper. It was mild enough for a 4 year old to eat, so if you want something spicy I'd say double up on the spices. I served it with a small portion of rice on the side, but it doesn't really need it - you could have it on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Toots wrote: »
    I made this Chickpea Curry on Wednesday night and it was unbelievable! There's only 3 in my family (me, hubby and 4 year old son) so we ended up getting dinner for 3 nights out of it, so not only was it delicious, it worked out super economical. Only change I'd make is I'd swap out a regular potato for a sweet potato, but that's mainly cos I'm not keen on potato anyway. I used mini peppers from Lidl instead of green bell pepper, and a regular old chilli instead of a serrano chilli (because I don't know what that is haha), I also substituted chilli flakes instead of ground red pepper. It was mild enough for a 4 year old to eat, so if you want something spicy I'd say double up on the spices. I served it with a small portion of rice on the side, but it doesn't really need it - you could have it on its own.

I made this for my lunches and used sweet potato as you suggested and a few more veggies to bulk it up. I was a bit heavy handed with the spices so it's very hot but still yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I lb/500g of rib steak, diced - or steak pieces
    2 sliced carrots
    2 sliced onions
    2 sticks of celery, sliced
    A couple of dessertspoons of flour
    Pinch of mixed herbs
    Salt and black pepper
    A squirt of tomato puree
    2 red Oxo cubes mixed with a pint of hot water
    Olive or sunflower oil for browning the meat

Roll the meat in flour, then brown it on the pan in the oil.
    Remove it from the pan and add the carrots, celery and onions. Fry gently until they start to soften. Add the meat, stock, tomato puree, salt and pepper and the herbs. If it's a bit too thick, add more water. Put it all into the slow cooker and cook it on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.

* You could just throw it all into the slow cooker and stir in just one dessertspoon of flour before adding the stock, but it won't taste quite as nice.

making this for this evening, subbed in half a pint of home brew stout instead of some of the water to make up the stock.

4 or 5 hours on high I hope should be ok.

Corned beef. Any suggestions or tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

making this for this evening, subbed in half a pint of home brew stout instead of some of the water to make up the stock.

4 or 5 hours on high I hope should be ok.

I'm planning to do beef and ale over the weekend. How did you get on with the half pint of stout? Was it a thin or thick sauce?

As a general rule, how much pearl barley do people add for thickening and at what point?

For anyone who bought the aldi slow cooker a couple of weeks back, They've got an upcoming divided crock for €14.99

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-10-dec/products-detail-page/ps/p/divided-slow-cooker-pot/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

For anyone who bought the aldi slow cooker a couple of weeks back, They've got an upcoming divided crock for €14.99

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-10-dec/products-detail-page/ps/p/divided-slow-cooker-pot/

Has anyone used one of these divided ones before. I bought the 6.5ltr slow cooker from Aldi, but wonder if you were doing two different dishes would both dishes end up tasting of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any slow cooker that you can get which comes with a partition that can be removed/put in to make 2 cooking areas or 1 large single area?

Thanks in advance

Regards
    JB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm planning to do beef and ale over the weekend. How did you get on with the half pint of stout? Was it a thin or thick sauce?

As a general rule, how much pearl barley do people add for thickening and at what point?

Sorry only getting to this now.

The sauce was reasonably thick. I used my homebrew stout, so the sauce was totally amazing :D

I use a handful of Pearl Barley at the start of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

JB81 wrote: »
    Hi

I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any slow cooker that you can get which comes with a partition that can be removed/put in to make 2 cooking areas or 1 large single area?

Thanks in advance

Regards
    JB

see a few posts above-aldi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

snowgal wrote: »
    see a few posts above-aldi

Yeah thanks, sorry i should have stated other than aldi, because the actual cooker is not in the stores at the moment, only the pot accessory..

Thanks anyway

Regards
    JB

Advertisement