Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭cobham

I always do ham in a slow cooker.... bring up to heat on hob then transfer. You might be in trouble with a very big ham and getting it to fit into slow cooker. It does not have to be completely covered in liquid.

I might use slowcooker to keep "gluhwien" warm....I suppose could use to keep veggies warm on a low setting? bring nearer to table, plug in and have handy for extra servings? like a hostess trolley.

Only other time/labour/free up hob tip is to reheat the christmas pud in microwave.... can even cook one in it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭cobham

I make porridge on whole oats or groats and they take a loooong time to cook but perfect for slowcooker. One cup groats to 5 cups on boiled water and into warm slowcooker for a bit on high then turn down to low.... I have left it on overnight to no harm. You can toss in some dried fruit with it at start. This will keep in fridge for week and reheats well in microwave. Serve with greek yogurt and molasses brown sugar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

I can't get the hang of slow cooker meals :( everything turns to mush.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

cadesin wrote: »
    Some things are meant to turn to mush...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Have used it three times now, once for mines in gravy (for mince & mash) - was devoured, second for Irish stew, I found the potatoes a tiny bit underdone, but the (stewing) steak was literally melt in your mouth. Delicious & a big hit.

Finally, Spaghetti Bolognese (didn't put the spaghetti in, but will next time), again was absolutely devoured. This one was a real winner, because I made my "secret sauce", basically every vegetable I could get my hands on blitzed up together because the kids won't eat them. There was absolutely no sign of anything by the time it was ready apart from the most succulent meat & the richest heartiest tomato sauce you could think of, everything else "dissolved" - onion, garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, beans - all gone.

I'm not kidding or doing internet bravado or karma hunting etc. when I say this, but... the kids literally licked their plates clean.

We can't get them to eat anything that has even the remotest hint of vegetable apart from potato or tomato in it, no herb flecks, nothing. We were all sitting round eating & talking & noticed they were talking less, because they were eating faster, then even before we'd got to finish, they were licking the plates & asking for more.

Best €20 ever !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Haha, there is something great about your kids loving the food you cook. My 18m/o has started "mmmmmmmm"-ing at some stuff I make, actually making a point of going "dada....MMMMMMM", it's great!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cadesin wrote: »

Don't give up - you'll get the hang of it. If you're using recipes you'd normally cook in the oven or on the hob then halve the amount of liquid for the slow cooker. Also, if it's on for 8-10 hours make sure you're using the low setting and not the high.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

cobham wrote: »
    I make porridge on whole oats or groats and they take a loooong
    time to cook but perfect for slowcooker.
    One cup groats to 5 cups on boiled water and into
    warm slowcooker for a bit on high then turn down to low....
    I
    have left it on overnight to no
    harm.
    You can toss in some dried fruit with it at start.
    This will keep in fridge for week and
    reheats well in microwave.
    Serve with greek yogurt and molasses brown sugar
    :)
    Oh you just reminded me to post my favourite slow cooker recipe. Pinhead oats overnight. They
    take about an hour to cook on the hob so you might as well leave them on for 6-8hrs. Basically
    you mix 1 measure of pinhead oats, 2 measures of milk, 4 measures of water and a pinch of salt
    in a bowl, place the bowl in the slow cooker and fill the slow cooker with water until it's about
    half way up the bowl. Leave on Low overnight and the slow cooker acts as a double boiler/bain-
    marie and you wake up to delicious porridge in the morning.
    http://food52.com/recipes/3062-overnight-steel-cut-oats-with-almond-butter-honey
    Tips:
    - 1/4 cup oats makes about enough for 1 person (so add 1/2 cup milk and 1 cup water).
    - Add the water to the slow cooker before adding the bowl :).
    - If you make loads and store it, I find the best way to reheat is simply to add warm milk. It gets
    absorbed by the porridge, giving it a new lease of life. Tastes like it just came out of the slow
    cooker.
    - Almond butter and honey are optional. Tastes great without. Just use your normal preferred
    porridge topping.
    - You don't need a huge amount of water in the slow cooker. There won't be much evaporation.
    Bonus benefit: Slow cooker doesn't need much of a clean. Mess is contained in the bowl you
    put inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Can anyone give me a simple but good recipe for curry ? Now I mean simple ! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

6541 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a simple but good recipe for curry ? Now I mean simple ! Thanks :)

You won't get much simpler than the jars of sauce with the spices in separate compartment on top in Aldi.

Stir Fry/Fry meat and veg, add spices then add sauce. Done.

THESE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kat1170 wrote: »
    You won't get much simpler than the jars of sauce with the spices in separate compartment on top in Aldi.

Stir Fry/Fry meat and veg, add spices then add sauce. Done.

THESE

Worth noting that they also do 3 mild ones as well ...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/exclusive-to-aldi/specially-selected/specially-selected-product-range/specially-selected-product-range/ps/p/specially-selected-curry-sauces/

If you're using recipes you'd normally cook in the oven or on the hob then halve the amount of liquid for the slow cooker.

Does it matter if veggies etc are not submerged ?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mjp

Quick question. Have a breville slow cooker which I bought recently in argos. Can I put the pot into oven or will it crack. Can't find the original manual I bought it with to check and there seem to be differing opinions when I look online. Wouldn't be putting lid in with it as plastic on it would melt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

6541 wrote: »

Heres mine, really is simple and just bung it in the slow cooker after frying:

1lb stewing beef or chicken breasts
    Large desert spoon curry powder (schwartz hot curry powder)
    Flour
    Water
    Half a chicken stock cube
    1 large apple
    1 onion
    A handful of sultanas or rasins
    2 tblsp tomato ketchup

Toss the meat in the flour, fry in some oil, add onions and add curry powder (takes about 10 mins)
    After the 10 mins add chopped apple sultanas, tomato ketchup and about two mugs of boiling water with chicken stock disolved. Cook for about another 5 to 10 mins or until it thickens into a nice textured curry.
    Put into slow cooker and cook for about 5 or 6 hours.
    Its delicious!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

mjp wrote: »
    Quick question. Have a breville slow cooker which I bought recently in argos. Can I put the pot into oven or will it crack. Can't find the original manual I bought it with to check and there seem to be differing opinions when I look online. Wouldn't be putting lid in with it as plastic on it would melt

I wouldn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 onlineness

Thanks for the porridge tips folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

Don't give up - you'll get the hang of it. If you're using recipes you'd normally cook in the oven or on the hob then halve the amount of liquid for the slow cooker. Also, if it's on for 8-10 hours make sure you're using the low setting and not the high.

Thanks, I shall try that. Halve the amount of liquid and use the low setting, great advice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OU812 wrote: »
    Does it matter if veggies etc are not submerged ?

Yes it does, because veggies take longer than meat to cook in a slow cooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

katydid wrote: »
    I wouldn't...

Me neither. I think the pot part of mine is similar and it does not look suitable for direct heat. Breville publish a lot of their manuals on their site and if this is your slowcooker it looks to me to be a no
    Position your slow cooker on a dry, flat, stable surface away from any potential heat source (hob, oven, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Beef casserole gone in this morning, cant wait for dinner tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Hungarian goulash in mine for tonight :D

Hungarian goulash in mine for tonight :D

Sounds more exotic than mine! I love my slow cooker, its so handy for lazy me!

I bought a couple of pork shanks to test with over the weekend. Couple of questions

1) Anyone any suggested recipes?

2) Anyone know what the expected yield would be off them?

3) They're skin on & bone in - dog is getting the bones after but , should I remove the skin beforehand or after cooking?

4) Butcher said there's absolutely no need to brown them in a pan first as long as they're going to cook for between 6-8 hours. Thoughts ?

I bought a couple of pork shanks to test with over the weekend. Couple of questions

1) Anyone any suggested recipes?

2) Anyone know what the expected yield would be off them?

3) They're skin on & bone in - dog is getting the bones after but , should I remove the skin beforehand or after cooking?

4) Butcher said there's absolutely no need to brown them in a pan first as long as they're going to cook for between 6-8 hours. Thoughts ?

1) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69309519

3) Dont give cooked bones to your dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

As above, don't give cooked bones to your dog as they're potentially dangerous. Only ever give raw. :)

This recipe is delicious, I've made it several times. The sauce is quite rich so it's best served with something plain and light. I usually have it with stir fried greens and boiled rice.

http://www.pork.co.nz/recipes/braised-chinese-pork-hocks/index41da.html

OK, so do I de-bone them first (mutt benefits) or are they tastier cooked with the bone in (tough luck mutt)?

& what about the skin if cooked bone in?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OK, so do I de-bone them first (mutt benefits) or are they tastier cooked with the bone in (tough luck mutt)?

& what about the skin if cooked bone in?

You'll never efficiently get the meat off the bone when raw.
    I'd cook them skin on - i love all that gelatinous stuff. Again probably much easier to remove skin when cooked if it's not your thing.
    Expect one hock to serve 2 people depending on how big they are cut. Quite a lot of meat on them usually.
    They will cook fine without browning but I reckon you'll get better flavour with a good hot sear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Butter chicken curry gone in mine this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

foodaholic wrote: »
    Butter chicken curry gone in mine this morning

How long will you cook it for? I find chicken cooked on slow for 8hours loses its favour and goes stringy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Zelda247 wrote: »
    How long will you cook it for? I find chicken cooked on slow for 8hours loses its favour and goes stringy.

I use thighs and legs. Usually 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 on low

Advertisement