Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugee Centre for Bettystown? - Mod note Post#70

Options
  • 22-02-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi All,

Has anyone heard anything about some ôr all of the refugee centre moving from Mosney to The Bettystown Court Hotel??

May be an off the wall rumour but there has been 24 hour security there for the last while so it looks like something is going on?

Thanks,
    Chubi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

This should be moved to the Meath Forum and yeah I heard it too. Lots of folk talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sallyk28

Just heard it myself and there was ment to be some meeting on last night about stopping it... anybody I am mentioning it to has never heard this but seems to be true... surely we can do something about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

sallyk28 wrote: »
    Just heard it myself and there was ment to be some meeting on last night about stopping it... anybody I am mentioning it to has never heard this but seems to be true... surely we can do something about this??

indeed we can!

Re-open mosney and get the big yellow wheel spinning again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Has Bettystown moved to Louth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

Chubi wrote: »
    Hi All,

Has anyone heard anything about some ôr all of the refugee centre moving from Mosney to The Bettystown Court Hotel??

May be an off the wall rumour but there has been 24 hour security there for the last while so it looks like something is going on?

Thanks,
    Chubi

ah sure it will add a bit of Character to the place

and Bettystown is in Meath BTW....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

sallyk28 wrote: »
    e... surely we can do something about this??

Maybe you can form a angry mob and chase them out with sticks.

What exactly is your issue with refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

'tis a load of me bollix...same type of rumour was circulated a few years ago about a load of Asylumers taking up lodgings in the Village Hotel.
    In sayin that there are security signs around the kip. Hopefully there'll be a demolishing crew arriving sometime soon, That poxy kip of a hotel has been an eyesore since day 1. Horrible looking hole of a place. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

So who started the rumours?

Can't see it happening personally that hotel is in bits inside.
    It's damp and musty, would take weeks to clean up and get ready for any inhabitants

Next thing it will be larry Murphy moving into the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

It is all rumor.
    The security has been in place in the hotel for months, it must be something to do with insurance.
    The lease is not up for a couple of months. But Bernnan's who had the lease are not renewing.
    Personally I think it was a good facility for the area and gives a nice buzz to the town especially in the summer months. I hope it is reopened.

AFAIK to change its use from hotel to different resedential purpose requires planning permission and there is none currently being sought for the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jammygit123

It has been confirmed by the builders in the Bettystown court hotel at the minute ,that they are there to modify it as all at Mosney will be moving to it.
    This is a total disgrace that residents in the area are not being notified about a refugee centre being set up in their village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

It's more shocking:eek: that Bettystown has moved to Louth without anybody notifying the good people off the 'Wee' that this has happened.

Away off now to your own forum and take your whine with you:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't get the "Bettystown is in Meath" posts. If you've got a problem, then don't click the topic again or mark it and move on.

Meanwhile, while I live in Louth, I also live pretty close to Bettystown and would have missed this had it gone to the Meath board, so I'm interested to read whats happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

^^^^^Relax bro and loosen your bra,we jest,we jest :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Meanwhile, while I live in Louth, I also live pretty close to Bettystown and would have missed this had it gone to the Meath board, so I'm interested to read whats happening...

Same here - if only for the fact that a relative used to work for 15+ years in Mosney (retired in December) and kept me informed of some of the shannigans that went on up there.
    There is a lot of fiction about the place - but there is also a lot of truth (and stuff unknown too) about Mosney also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Biggins wrote: »
    There is a lot of fiction about the place - but there is also a lot of truth (and stuff unknown too) about Mosney also.

...............................like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Other places in Ireland have had refugee centres, so why all the fuss about Bettystown? It's not the end of the world for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

No matter what race, nationality, colour or county of origin , we are all people and need somewhere to live.
    If people bitch about asylum seekers / 'dole heads' etc, and 'all they're getting', why don't they try swapping places with them for a little while and see how *sweet* their lives really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

So, is this just another rumour or is it actually happening?

nc6000 wrote: »
    So, is this just another rumour or is it actually happening?

Probably just rumour, then again, they shifted a good lot according to some Balbriggian residents, up that area too.
    Whatever happens, if it happens, it will be done quietly as possible - and indeed, they have to live somewhere more normal if they are to better integrate with Irish society.

Biggins, I dont see how living in a hotel is normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

It would be asylum seekers who would be moved anyway, wouldn't it? Not refugees.

Quality wrote: »
    Biggins, I dont see how living in a hotel is normal?

Debatable!
    The current Michael Noonan (for personal reasons concerning his wife - RIP) lived out of a hotel this last few years.
    I'm sure many do.
    ...Besides its more living in a normal situation than just living in an enclosed camp out in the country?

Debatable!
    The current Michael Noonan (for personal reasons concerning his wife - RIP) lived out of a hotel this last few years.
    I'm sure many do.
    ...Besides its more living in a normal situation than just living in an enclosed camp out in the country?

Well I think this country has had enough problems sticking its unemployed, poor and vunerable into high rise buildings.

I am sure Mr Noonan's stay was comfortable in the hotel of his choice.

Whereas a number of familys living in a hotel does not make sense, where are they suppossed to wash their clothes? In their bath tubs?
    Hang the clothes out the windows?

I am sure this has to be a rumour, there is no way that this stupid idea could be for real

Well I think this country has had enough problems sticking its unemployed, poor and vunerable into high rise buildings.
    Well I suspect it hasn't stopped them before?
    ...there is no way that this stupid idea could be for real
    This is Ireland - our previous governments has been many times stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MugMugs wrote: »

...............................like ?

Are you going to ignore the question on your cryptic statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Saw a load of young kids climbing the scaffolding of the ghostly estate behind the Bettystown Court hotel the other day. Gonna be a bad accident there...maybe that's what the security's for? :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    Are you going to ignore the question on your cryptic statement?

I will just say that there a a number of very decent people staying on the camp - and not use the forum to just 'bash' those that are staying there or any section of them that are ethnically different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jammygit123

tweety76 wrote: »
    It is all rumor.
    The security has been in place in the hotel for months, it must be something to do with insurance.
    The lease is not up for a couple of months. But Bernnan's who had the lease are not renewing.
    Personally I think it was a good facility for the area and gives a nice buzz to the town especially in the summer months. I hope it is reopened.

AFAIK to change its use from hotel to different resedential purpose requires planning permission and there is none currently being sought for the hotel.[/Quote

I have spoken to some property surveyors and they have advised me that they would not require planning permission for change of residential purposes and the people of the area do not have to be notified of what is happening at the hotel. the use would only be temporary, however temporary can be many many years.
    Basically we have no say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 whatde

Chubi wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks,
    Chubi

spoke to a friend who lives in the apartments next to the hotel. the refugees are moving in this monday/tuesday. what can we do to stop this i live in bettystown. i didnt move out here and pay a whopper of a mortgage for this to be set up our door steps.i AM VERY CONCERNED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 whatde

Probably just rumour, then again, they shifted a good lot according to some Balbriggian residents, up that area too.
    Whatever happens, if it happens, it will be done quietly as possible - and indeed, they have to live somewhere more normal if they are to better integrate with Irish society.
    WHAT ARE YOU ON MAN

Advertisement