Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I know of mulvhill from playing football but I can't, for the life of me see this happening.whatever about aspirations of playing intercounty football, can't see him giving up his links with Garrycastle.I don't know the guy personally but I thought he was Garrycastle through n through.there would want to have been some row to see this happen.then again, Frankie Dolan went to Ballymahon years ago.

Does Mulvihill have any links to Kiltoom? Is he from the area originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gunneros

Does Mulvihill have any links to Kiltoom? Is he from the area originally?

No,he has no links to kiltoom, he lives in moate and works in mullingar. A kiltoom address has been forwarded in the paperwork but it is purely beurocratic. Paddy mulvihill clocked Garvan Dolan as the players left the field at half time in the AI semi 3 years ago. Everyone presumed he would be sent off before the second half started but he was only booked and went on to torment us in the second half. The first ball contested between the 2 at training will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Sure there were rumours of actual fighting at training in the AI-winning season, if there was no edge in training I'd be far more worried as a coach. You don't need to like each other to respect each other.

To Walrus - it's already a done deal. The issues with Dessie Snr. and Paddy are well known in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Syferus wrote: »
    Sure there were rumours of actual fighting at training in the AI-winning season, if there was no edge in training I'd be far more worried as a coach. You don't need to like each other to respect each other.
    These rumours were true, I won't name the players involved but there was a few scraps. Look at Cole and Sheringham, neither talked to one another. But on the pitch they were brilliant together and won the treble in 99 with Man United.

Connacht U21 champions 2014 - Ros 0-19 Leitrim 1-03.

Professional job, never let Leitrim into it. Only one target left this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Connacht U21 champions 2014 - Ros 0-19 Leitrim 1-03.

Professional job, never let Leitrim into it. Only one target left this season.

Did Roscommon play some of their U21s last week vs Cavan? I didn't think they would have but a friend reckons a man from Roscommon in the crowd told him they had some playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Lemlin wrote: »
    Did Roscommon play some of their U21s last week vs Cavan? I didn't think they would have but a friend reckons a man from Roscommon in the crowd told him they had some playing.

None of the under 21s were on the panel last week against cavan

13648601713_6290d00ab4_o_d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Am I gone cracked but I don't remember ever seeing a GAA scarf before.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    None of the under 21s were on the panel last week against cavan

Thanks. That is what I thought myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Am I gone cracked but I don't remember ever seeing a GAA scarf before.

I have the same roscommon scarf in a wardrobe somewhere bought in 2001!

Roscommon have won 3 of the last 5 Connacht U21s. Galway therefore I take it have only won two but went all the way both times.

A few images to mark the occasion of our eighth Connacht U21 title:

13652121043_e9157edd73_o.jpg

13652111823_057a0e3bff_o.jpg

One of many great catches by young Enda, even though he's slightly out-of-focus I couldn't let Cathal Kenny's excellent reaction go to waste:

13652088865_149b0c4853_o.jpg

..or Cathal's face when Enda finally returned to the ground:

13652134125_e5fd46a32b_o.jpg

13652127005_0f26ac49e8_o.jpg

13652470474_7f154c3ec4_o.jpg

13652130363_4852fe3840_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Roscommon have won 3 of the last 5 Connacht U21s. Galway therefore I take it have only won two but went all the way both times.

Galway robbed Ros last year in the under 21 final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Galway therefore I take it have only won two but went all the way both times.

2002 to 2013 Galway only 4 Connacht U-21 titles yet they won the All Ireland each year they won Connacht. Very few sides with a better record in the All Ireland series than them.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Galway robbed Ros last year in the under 21 final
    You could say Roscommon lost it more than Galway won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

A few images to mark the occasion of our eighth Connacht U21 title:

13652121043_e9157edd73_o.jpg

13652111823_057a0e3bff_o.jpg

One of many great catches by young Enda, even though he's slightly out-of-focus I couldn't let Cathal Kenny's excellent reaction go to waste:

13652088865_149b0c4853_o.jpg

..or Cathal's face when Enda finally returned to the ground:

13652134125_e5fd46a32b_o.jpg

13652127005_0f26ac49e8_o.jpg

13652470474_7f154c3ec4_o.jpg

13652130363_4852fe3840_o.jpg[/quote

Mighty stuff, great pictures syfrus,]

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Paddy Mulvihill trained for Brigid's tonight, he will be a massive addition if the transfer is through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

2 huge games in two weeks, with a potential 3rd as well.

Under 21 semi v Cork. I can see Cork's physical size being a huge challenge for us. Though I do think we have an exceptional bunch of players, with some of the most naturally talented forwards in a generation - Smiths, Murtagh etc. Can we do it?

League final v Cavan. With a totally different team from the one which played a few weeks ago I think we can give this a right rattle. With the ground hardening up over the past few weeks it will suit attacking teams.

I don't think Cork's size is even an issue. This is one of the strongest U21 sides (physically, and height-wise) we've ever produced. The Galway team that beat a good chunk of this Cork side last year were significantly slighter than our lads and it made little difference.

I'm very interested to see how Nigel uses Ultan on Saturday, playing him for an extended period in a game already long over against Leitrim tells me he's planning on utilising the Clann man more in the AISF. If he's fit enough even for a half of football he would be an incredible boost to the team's chances.

Cork always have a stereotype of having big strong sides but like us they are a county whose preferred style is attacking football rather than bruising football or defensive football. I expect a game more about skill and less about size. It should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

From what I've seen of Cork they are a serious outfit. As already mentioned they are a big, physically strong side and more importantly, they can really play. I feel that Tipp were nothing like the minors of three years ago, but the goals kept them in a game where they were being totally dominated. Cork were a far better side than them.

This is going to be a very tough match to win for either side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

megadodge wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Cork they are a serious outfit. As already mentioned they are a big, physically strong side and more importantly, they can really play. I feel that Tipp were nothing like the minors of three years ago, but the goals kept them in a game where they were being totally dominated. Cork were a far better side than them.

This is going to be a very tough match to win for either side.

Yes the three goals Tipp got gave the Munster final scoreline a false look its seems Tipp have regressed since Minor level however a good few of their 2011 minors are underage again next year. This Cork U-21 team is regarded to be stronger than last year however probably because they bet Kerry more comfortably. Roscommon had comfortable wins this year over big names such as Mayo,Kildare,Meath its a real 50/50 game a moment of individual brilliance from let's say Diarmuid Murtagh could decide this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gunneros

Has the team been picked yet?

Gunneros wrote: »
    Has the team been picked yet?

Word is Conor Daly is fit to start despite previous rumours. Kelly was already out and Sweeney's ankle injury looks to have ruled him out. The end result being Ronan Daly will join his brother in flanking John Mac in the HB line.

Seems that Ultan Harney is finally fit to start and he'll replace Killoran in the middle, who is actually quite unlucky to lose out but he's someone who will be quite versatile coming off the bench.

Besides that it's how we were for the Connacht final.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Yes the three goals Tipp got gave the Munster final scoreline a false look its seems Tipp have regressed since Minor level however a good few of their 2011 minors are underage again next year. This Cork U-21 team is regarded to be stronger than last year however probably because they bet Kerry more comfortably. Roscommon had comfortable wins this year over big names such as Mayo,Kildare,Meath its a real 50/50 game a moment of individual brilliance from let's say Diarmuid Murtagh could decide this match.

We rate our U21 team very highly here in Cork but at this level, you can never be sure. Our record against Connaught Opposition, in recent years, has been poor. We've conceded a few goals - 2 v Kerry and 3 v Tipp and Roscommon showed against Mayo that they can take goals chances that are presented.

It should be an open high scoring game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

A finish like that, be jaysus it's not good for the heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Well done roscommon great match and win really should have won by more. All the best in final

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

A finish like that, be jaysus it's not good for the heart

They're the type of finishes that will stand to players as they progress. It's not over till it's over. Well done Ross. Promotion for the Seniors and a few lads snapping at their heels is what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just back and there's a mixture of emotions.

Obviously, Roscommon won an All-Ireland semi-final, so we have to be happy. For long periods of the game Ros were very dominant and in truth they should have won by at least 5-6 points. The team as a unit showed tremendous character a number of times after conceding soft scores (all three goals) and the general scoring ability of the team continues to be very impressive.

The amount of unforced turnovers is definitely worrying. I think they were more concentration-based rather than for any technical reason, but the sheer number suggests complacency perhaps? Anyway, without them Cork would have been beaten long before the finish. Each time, in fairness, Ros responded well, but...

The breaking ball at midfield again was an issue. They just have to be that bit cuter in reading the break and of course, the actual breaker himself has to try and guide it a little, a la Cavan midfielder Argue in the first half who consistently intentionally broke the ball towards Cavan players.

Anyway, with two weeks to help heal injuries (hopefully) and work on the above and having just scraped the win, the expectation won't be as crazy as it would have been if we had won by 6+ points, so I think Roscommon are coming into the final the way you'd want them to. Here's hoping.

While I agree about our play at the back I thought we deconstructed Cork in the middle, and that was based on some great controlled breaks, something Corcoran is becoming a master at. The seniors could learn a lot from the U21 in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

While I agree about our play at the back I thought we deconstructed Cork in the middle, and that was based on some great controlled breaks, something Corcoran is becoming a master at. The seniors could learn a lot from the U21 in that regard.

Congratulations to Roscommon - outstanding performances - Ye will soon end Mayo's domination with players like these coming through. Credit to Rossie Supporters too - ye outnumbered us 10/1 and I was surrounded by Rossie Supporters in the stand and could not have hoped to meet a nicer group of people - a credit to your county.

I sincerely hope ye win it now and think ye will - in fact if ye get that Wicklow Gob****e reffing the final - ye will be absolute certainties.

Everyone sees things from their own perspective - but we felt the ref gave ye some very soft free to keep ye ahead - IMO we would have taken over in the 2nd half if we had a decent ref - Cavan disgraced themselves but there wasn't enough of us there to attack the ref even if we were minded to do so (we don't do that kind of thing)

It really should have gone to extra time and we would have known who the best side were. Soft goals maybe but really well finished and your FB line was always seen as vulnerable.

Advertisement